Proposal: 2015 Offseason Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part VIII - Electric Trade-aloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I love our young core, but that statement applies to 80% of the league - especially the two teams I mentioned, Florida and Columbus. This league is about being better than other teams, not just improving - many teams improved this off season. Being a Wildcard team isnt a bad thing, still making the playoffs - but if/when Ottawa wants to establish themselves as a top team in the league they will need the right roster improvements - and as many have said a top 4 d-man and top 6 forward (if chosen/traded for correctly) could really put us at that level. IMO IF we really want to go into this season 100% confident in a playoff birth one of those two pieces should be had (d-man seems more likely). I like being optimistic but I prefer to be realistic, im not of the mindset that every player we have will improve vastly come this season (because that is not realistic) - I am of the mindset that to maximize the improvement of these players getting established talent has proven to be helpful.

And you may be right & I think Ottawa is at the point now where they have a number of different assets who if they don't work out here could be packaged for the right asset. I think Wideman could be a wildcard here on defence & turn into another Tory Krug type of player for Ottawa. He could be exactly what Ottawa needs in the bottom pairing to provide more offense, more skill & more importantly getting the puck out of our end quickly & effectively. That would reduce the goals against while hopefully increasing offensive production from the bottom pairing. Wiercioch & Ceci did well together last yr & hopefully will build on that success while Cowen could go either way. IMO Cowen & Wideman or Boro & Wideman could turn into a decent bottom pairing tandem. And then there are at least a couple of guys in Bingo waiting for their opportunity along with a couple of promising defensive prospects should any of the guys above falter.

On offence, there is lots of fire power in the top 6 & it's the bottom six that need some improvement & changes should come over the season. Neil will likely be a deadline deal or if he is contributing it's possible he could finish the yr in Ottawa as I think Phillips will & then move on after the season. Greening could have a miraculous turn around, then again he could be bought out at some point or waived again. Smith, Chiasson & Michalek need to contribute a little more or one or all could be packaged for picks, prospects or players. Right there we have six players that can be improved upon from within or through trade for an upgrade where required.

Ottawa now has the depth to improve their lineup either internally or by trade & they have the luxury to wait until the right deal falls into their lap, hopefully it will be during next season. They also have lots of cap space should that deal require them to add salary. Personally, I think they stay the course & wait until a good young rising player becomes available & make their play at that point. They may need a little luck as well.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Hoffman was the teams leading goal scorer as a rookie. He was the 6th best even strength goal scorer in the entire league, and he did it playing in the bottom 6 for stretches of time. He's been a leading scorer in every league he has played in because he skates better, shoots harder and handles the puck better than 95% of his peers.

Wiercioch was a deserving healthy scratch for long periods last season and is nothing more than an average bottom pairing D at this point in time. He's an OFD that is inconsistent defensively and doesn't produce. Put up only 3 goals and 13 points in 56 games, and that's with an average of over 2 minutes of powerplay time a night. Pretty awful production for a guy that brings little else to the table other than his play with the puck.

Am I missing something here? Hoffman's value is exponentially higher than Wiercioch.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I love our young core, but that statement applies to 80% of the league - especially the two teams I mentioned, Florida and Columbus. This league is about being better than other teams, not just improving - many teams improved this off season. Being a Wildcard team isnt a bad thing, still making the playoffs - but if/when Ottawa wants to establish themselves as a top team in the league they will need the right roster improvements - and as many have said a top 4 d-man and top 6 forward (if chosen/traded for correctly) could really put us at that level. IMO IF we really want to go into this season 100% confident in a playoff birth one of those two pieces should be had (d-man seems more likely). I like being optimistic but I prefer to be realistic, im not of the mindset that every player we have will improve vastly come this season (because that is not realistic) - I am of the mindset that to maximize the improvement of these players getting established talent has proven to be helpful.

I do not disagree. Adding a legit top 4 D would help immensely. Goal tending has to hold up as well.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-e...pula-should-be-the-odd-man-out-for-lightning/

After this season, assuming things remain basically as they are, do you do Pageau + a pick for Filppula?

As of now, we will enter next offseason with 53mil committed to 16 players, with Ceci, Wiercioch, Hoffman, Chiasson, Puempel and Prince as key RFA's and Neil and Phillips as UFAs.

So, we could make the trade and still be 18mil under the cap (assuming it remains stagnant) with at most 6 players to sign. Seems extremely reasonable to me in a cap world, and we have Michalek, Greening and Cowen combining for 9.75 off the books the following year. The year after, Filppula would be a UFA once again. Now, I love Pageau but Zibanejad - Turris - Filppula - Smith down the middle, with Lazar and Paul as wing options, is unquestionably a better and deeper squad. Pageau, with his speed, skill, two-way game, and cheap contract, would be a nice option for them despite not having the same ability as Val.

Thoughts?

WhiteLight*

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-e...pula-should-be-the-odd-man-out-for-lightning/

After this season, assuming things remain basically as they are, do you do Pageau + a pick for Filppula?

As of now, we will enter next offseason with 53mil committed to 16 players, with Ceci, Wiercioch, Hoffman, Chiasson, Puempel and Prince as key RFA's and Neil and Phillips as UFAs.

So, we could make the trade and still be 18mil under the cap (assuming it remains stagnant) with at most 6 players to sign. Seems extremely reasonable to me in a cap world, and we have Michalek, Greening and Cowen combining for 9.75 off the books the following year. The year after, Filppula would be a UFA once again. Now, I love Pageau but Zibanejad - Turris - Filppula - Smith down the middle, with Lazar and Paul as wing options, is unquestionably a better and deeper squad. Pageau, with his speed, skill, two-way game, and cheap contract, would be a nice option for them despite not having the same ability as Val.

Thoughts?

no no no....

Flip makes so much dough.... why not just throw $5M at Frolik this summer instead of doing that? (and keep Pageau)

Flip is a pretty overrated player. He's definitely expendable for Tampa moving forward - essentially a 3rd liner on that team. And a 3rd liner here. Not worth $5.5M, and considering defensive play, he's not all that better than Pageau. Consider that Pageau is on the upswing and Flip on the downswing.... that deal will backfire on Ottawa big time. Baaad idea.

WhiteLight*

Wiercioch was a deserving healthy scratch for long periods last season and is nothing more than an average bottom pairing D at this point in time. He's an OFD that is inconsistent defensively and doesn't produce. Put up only 3 goals and 13 points in 56 games, and that's with an average of over 2 minutes of powerplay time a night. Pretty awful production for a guy that brings little else to the table other than his play with the puck.

Am I missing something here?

Yep. You're way off the mark about Wiercioch. Swing and a miss.

The trained eye disagrees with you, and the stats disagree. Wiercioch is either a serviceable 2nd pair D, or a great 3rd pair D. Stats and experts concur.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yep. You're way off the mark about Wiercioch. Swing and a miss.

The trained eye disagrees with you, and the stats disagree. Wiercioch is either a serviceable 2nd pair D, or a great 3rd pair D. Stats and experts concur.

Well, to be fair, the experts were trying to run him out of town at the deadline. And his real stats certainly don't agree.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Huge gap. It comes down to the fact that there is a very short list of players in the league that can score 27 goals.

He did it once

He is not a proven commodity

When you have a player who hasn't proven he is capable of consistently hitting certain marks you evaluate based on the toolbox; Hoffman has great speed, very smooth and agile skater coupled with a great release and a general shiftiness that was a great driver behind a lot of those 27 goals. Can he be as productive once people target him on a regular basis and with more intensity? Nobody knows.

BigBush*

Well, to be fair, the experts were trying to run him out of town at the deadline. And his real stats certainly don't agree.

I think that's because of piss poor coaching and management.

There's no denying that Wiercioch is at least our 4th best defenseman. The fact that it took so long for a coaching to realize this baffles me. Even Cameron didn't put him in the line up until Cowen got suspended.

Wier has always put up decent stats for a young Dman

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think that's because of piss poor coaching and management.

There's no denying that Wiercioch is at least our 4th best defenseman. The fact that it took so long for a coaching to realize this baffles me. Even Cameron didn't put him in the line up until Cowen got suspended.

Wier has always put up decent stats for a young Dman

He can't skate well enough nor does he defend well enough to be a consistently dependable top 4 dman on a team that is looking to contend

It's that simple. He's very much like Rundblad: great at one thing, moving the puck, and that's it

Weircioch is not good enough to be a top 4 dman on a great team, at least not yet; he did show signs of significant improvement in the playoffs but carrying that over will be the real challenge

I don't expect him to succeed, he's been a let down almost everywhere since he's been drafted

BigBush*

He can't skate well enough nor does he defend well enough to be a consistently dependable top 4 dman on a team that is looking to contend

It's that simple. He's very much like Rundblad: great at one thing, moving the puck, and that's it

Weircioch is not good enough to be a top 4 dman on a great team, at least not yet; he did show signs of significant improvement in the playoffs but carrying that over will be the real challenge

I don't expect him to succeed, he's been a let down almost everywhere since he's been drafted

I'd agree. Wier is not that great but I still think he's our 4th best Dma

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

That's not true. He was an absolute Stud at Denver, and he was good/great in the AHL and NHL in 2012-13.

I think he will be fine this year, I don't expect him to stick in the top 4, but I don't think it will be due to his play. It will be due to the play of others or an acquisition.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No to Edler, he is weak, inconsistent and not a player we want on this squad.

Also, this doesn't reflect his real value, but the VAN fans are asking for the moon for him.

Which is funny because before last season they wanted him gone for nothing!

The nucks fans have been sour on this kid for almost 3 seasons now.

Ice-Tray is right.....don't judge Elder on his play on international ice (and even then he wasn't that good). On NHL ice, this kid is a softy who occasionally pretends to be physical (think Greening). He'll look good occasionally making a pass to someone doing all the work in a highlight reel, but he is NOT a top 4 D on a contender. He simply isn't.

There really isn't much difference between Weir and Elder right now, and Weir has the opportunity to grow. Elder doesn't. Elder has already plateaued and is starting a decline. And that decline will be like falling off a cliff without Bieksa to cover for him.

The kid is a sheep in wolf's clothing. Don't fall for it!

BigBush*

The nucks fans have been sour on this kid for almost 3 seasons now.

Ice-Tray is right.....don't judge Elder on his play on international ice (and even then he wasn't that good). On NHL ice, this kid is a softy who occasionally pretends to be physical (think Greening). He'll look good occasionally making a pass to someone doing all the work in a highlight reel, but he is NOT a top 4 D on a contender. He simply isn't.

There really isn't much difference between Weir and Elder right now, and Weir has the opportunity to grow. Elder doesn't. Elder has already plateaued and is starting a decline. And that decline will be like falling off a cliff without Bieksa to cover for him.

The kid is a sheep in wolf's clothing. Don't fall for it!

This has to be one of the worst evaluation i have ever seen on a player.

Edler is still a top pairing defenseman. Im not sure why you're calling him a sheep, he isnt an intimidating player. He plays more like Markov, makes great passes and can shoot. He'd easily score 10+ goals and 40+ points playing with Karlsson. Edler has a very well rounded game. He'd be one of the better #2's in the league. Very comparable to Seabrook

No, Vancouver fans really arent sour on this guy. Edler "regressing" is more to do with Vancouvers defense and team regressing as a whole

Sens fans can talk on here until their faces turn blue about how they need to trade for a top 4 Dman. If Edler was available, he's the guy they'd want

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I dont think Wier could handle the minutes Edler gets. Edler probably is a bit over his head in his role but he still plays it well. Just has bonehead mistakes sometimes

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
We need a clutch physical(or at least handles physical play very well) defender.

Hamhuis would be so much better. Would fit with Ceci or Karlsson like a glove. Edler would be very nice Methot and Karlsson perfect together and Ceci is puck moving defender so having a physical rock who can score 25-30ish points beside Ceci would be perf. We dont need another offensive guy.

Heck looking at Hamhuis stat's he might be able to put up 35+ points with Erik.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm telling ya, one of Weir or Cowen will grab that 2nd LD spot this year.

Cowen knows this is really his last shot to prove he's worth the pedigree and the contract. He's going to be coming in knowing his back is against the wall, and if he wants another NHL contract, he has to show it now.

Weir got a good taste of that 2nd LD spot last year, and he knows with a bit more refining (strength + speed), that spot is his. This is his best chance to get his name 'written in ink' into the starting lineup. He knows it.

Surely one of the two (at least) will take that step. No way both of them falter with so much on the line.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'd agree. Wier is not that great but I still think he's our 4th best Dma

Which isn't saying much.

I'm telling ya, one of Weir or Cowen will grab that 2nd LD spot this year.

Cowen knows this is really his last shot to prove he's worth the pedigree and the contract. He's going to be coming in knowing his back is against the wall, and if he wants another NHL contract, he has to show it now.

Weir got a good taste of that 2nd LD spot last year, and he knows with a bit more refining (strength + speed), that spot is his. This is his best chance to get his name 'written in ink' into the starting lineup. He knows it.

Surely one of the two (at least) will take that step. No way both of them falter with so much on the line.

I agree. If Cowen gets his game back even if it isn't his top ability like a number 1 or number 2 but a solid number 3.... then oh man did we strike gold internally.

Please Cowen... please get your game back. If not then please Wiercioch improve your skating and your defense...

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa

Edler is still a top pairing defenseman. Im not sure why you're calling him a sheep, he isnt an intimidating player. He plays more like Markov, makes great passes and can shoot. He'd easily score 10+ goals and 40+ points playing with Karlsson. Edler has a very well rounded game. He'd be one of the better #2's in the league. Very comparable to Seabrook

No, Vancouver fans really arent sour on this guy. Edler "regressing" is more to do with Vancouvers defense and team regressing as a whole

Sens fans can talk on here until their faces turn blue about how they need to trade for a top 4 Dman. If Edler was available, he's the guy they'd want

I could score +10 goals and 40+ points playing with Karlsson.

BigBush*

We need a clutch physical(or at least handles physical play very well) defender.

Hamhuis would be so much better. Would fit with Ceci or Karlsson like a glove. Edler would be very nice Methot and Karlsson perfect together and Ceci is puck moving defender so having a physical rock who can score 25-30ish points beside Ceci would be perf. We dont need another offensive guy.

Heck looking at Hamhuis stat's he might be able to put up 35+ points with Erik.

Yes, we do need another offensive guy. It's not good to have 100% of your offense coming from just 1 guy on defense.

Edler is a far better player the Hamhuis, still in his prime and locked up for another 4 years

MyTwoSens

Jun 18, 2015
Ottawa
Yes, we do need another offensive guy. It's not good to have 100% of your offense coming from just 1 guy on defense.

Edler is a far better player the Hamhuis, still in his prime and locked up for another 4 years

Ceci will be much better offensively than Edler in the next four years. Especially if he has a Methot-esque guy playing on the left side with him. Hamhuis is a way better fit, and a much cheaper option, both trade-wise and cap-wise (only $500,000 cheaper this year, but salary could come down after next year). Plus, we could re-sign him to however long we want if he starts off strong. If he waived to come to ottawa, he'd probably be willing to re-sign as well.

P.S. Edler is only 3 years younger than Hamhuis.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009

Thoughts?

Sens would never do this deal for two obvious reasons.

1. Filpulla makes 6M this year and then 5M for the next two years, Pageau 750k and then 1.1 M.

2. Filpulla is 31, Pageau is 22.

Give me the younger, cheaper 3rd line centre every day. The 4-5M in savings to put towards another need makes this a no brainer. The only way I'd entertain a deal like this is if Ottawa had a need at centre, or it was a bigger upgrade on Zibanejad and Turris. Otherwise, they need to keep the bottom 6 cheap.

I think the team is good for next year, let it play out and make a quantity for quality trade (like the Ryan trade) next summer when you have a better idea of where some of the younger players are fitting in. Big year for Cowen, Weir, Chiasson, and Hoffman to see if they're going to be part of the core or not.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I get it, you like him. But I live out here, watch the Canucks a ton, and am surrounded by Canuck fans at all times.

Your assessment is false, and typical of a fan who looks at stats, watches a tournament, and makes a decision. Your assessment of what Canuck fans say is also wrong, and typical of a fan who makes things up to back their opinion hoping that their audience has as little actual knowledge as they do.

He is a soft perimeter defenceman who isn't great in his own zone. He is no better than Weir as Mac already said. We're not targeting him, and he won't ever be a Senator player, as he's not a Murray type player, no matter blue in the face you get talking him up. ;)

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I have to question someones ability to evaluate a defeceman if they think Wiercioch and Edler are on par. I guess Wier could get there, but he hasn't shown me nearly enough for me to think he'd be able to handle top pairing minutes. Edler would look much better in a Sens jersey, as he would have Karlsson and Methot sheltering him, whereas he's "the guy" in Vancouver.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I have to question someones ability to evaluate a defeceman if they think Wiercioch and Edler are on par. I guess Wier could get there, but he hasn't shown me nearly enough for me to think he'd be able to handle top pairing minutes. Edler would look much better in a Sens jersey, as he would have Karlsson and Methot sheltering him, whereas he's "the guy" in Vancouver.

Uh huh...

Whatever, he's not coming to Ottawa so what do I care if some people want to hype him up and dream about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad