Connor
DeBrusk
Konecny
Chabot
Eriksson-Ek
Dunn
Larsson
Carlo

My Top 20, with honorable mentions including Sprong, Beauvillier, Carlsson, Meier, and Samsonov.
:highclap:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
1: McDavid
2: Eichel
3: Marner
4: Werenski
5: Provorov
6:Aho
7: Rantanen
8: Barzal
9: Boeser
10: Hanifin
11: Kyle Connor
12: Strome
13: Kaprizov
14: Chabot
15: Konecny
16: Dunn
17: Carlo
18: Zacha
19: Samsonov
20: Christian Fischer
21: Beauvillier
22: Debrusk
23: Larsson
24: Roslovic
25: Crouse
26: Meier
27: Colin White
28: Sprong
29: Greenway
30: Dermott (homer pick)
31: Svechnikov

The only players I'd even entertain trading Marner for at this point are McDavid, Eichel, and Werenski. 20 games isn't enough to dramatically change my opinion entering the year, and Marner after a slow start is starting to play very well the last 10 or so.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I like Provorov. Just not as much as the guys i had above him. 3 - 10 are interchangeable for me personally.

Provorov and Werenski are side by side. you can debate who you prefer more, but they are super close. having them 7 ranks apart is ridiculous. one is not that much better than the other.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Provorov and Werenski are side by side. you can debate who you prefer more, but they are super close. having them 7 ranks apart is ridiculous. one is not that much better than the other.
I mean i know points aren't everything but there is already a 18 point gap between the 2 right now and Werenski is no slouch defensively. And like i said 3 - 10 are pretty much interchangeable for the most part.

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
There's gonna be lots of arguing over the order but goddamn can we all just not bicker and appreciate how good this draft is already?

It has the potential to go down as one of the greatest 1st rounds ever.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

The only players I'd even entertain trading Marner for at this point are McDavid, Eichel, and Werenski. 20 games isn't enough to dramatically change my opinion entering the year, and Marner after a slow start is starting to play very well the last 10 or so.

Not bad, only 4 names different than mine. Dammit I forgot Samsonov though. I was about to put him in around the 17-20 range and quickly checked his stats and realized he's had a slow start this year so I was gonna wait a couple spots and then I just completely forgot altogether :facepalm:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I see Marner a lot, and why he might be good maybe very good, there are others that could surpass him. Just might be really tight between # 3 and 10. McDavid and Eichel one and two. Hoping Eichel doesn't become discouraged on what I think will be poor Sabre teamfor at least four more years.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Why is Boeser below guys like Rantanen and Marner? The dude is carrying the franchise right now. And is getting better everyday. All are wingers. It's not like Boeser has the inferior track record either. His freshman year at nodak was record breaking. There's no argument if the redraft is based on today outside of fantasy potential.

Because he's played all of 20 games in the NHL to this point, until he does what he's doing for a full season he's not on there levels. Marner had a 60+ Point rookie season and Rantanen scored 20 Goals on a team that barely scored 2 goals per game last year. And Rantanen is following it up with a much better season this year as well.

There's absolutely an argument. Even ignoring the fact it's only 20 games, Boeser has all of 4 points more then Rantanen in 1 game more played. They're very close now even in just the 20 game sample size.

Would it change your opinion if fanbase which watches all their games would disagree with you?

Nope. And Carolina is a team I watch quite a bit of. I like the way they're structured and have been catching a decent few of the games they've played this year. Aho has been wildly inconsistent though he's looking to have turned the corner on that the last couple weeks and getting the results more recently. But Hanifin is also looking better this year and for two prospects I have ranked as closely as I do you have to take the D over the winger.

Dunn has been really good in the couple games I've seen St. Louis play this year. More importantly, he looks to be getting a lot more comfortable in the league as the season wheres on. Really nice under the radar pick from the Blues so far.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Because he's played all of 20 games in the NHL to this point, until he does what he's doing for a full season he's not on there levels. Marner had a 60+ Point rookie season and Rantanen scored 20 Goals on a team that barely scored 2 goals per game last year. And Rantanen is following it up with a much better season this year as well.

There's absolutely an argument. Even ignoring the fact it's only 20 games, Boeser has all of 4 points more then Rantanen in 1 game more played. They're very close now even in just the 20 game sample size.

Nope. And Carolina is a team I watch quite a bit of. I like the way they're structured and have been catching a decent few of the games they've played this year. Aho has been wildly inconsistent though he's looking to have turned the corner on that the last couple weeks and getting the results more recently. But Hanifin is also looking better this year and for two prospects I have ranked as closely as I do you have to take the D over the winger.

Dunn has been really good in the couple games I've seen St. Louis play this year. More importantly, he looks to be getting a lot more comfortable in the league as the season wheres on. Really nice under the radar pick from the Blues so far.
Dunn has been great for us. He's been shifted often with Pietrangelo. I can see this kid becoming a #3 for us sooner rather then later

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

DeBrusk was very good once again today - no goals but still grabbed first star.

Im just going to assume you don't watch many Bruins games

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

So who would you have him clearly above?

I've seen him play a bunch of times, and he's never really impressed me in the WHL or in the NHL

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Quite a few of these players
Which ones specifically. I don't see DeBrusk becoming more than a middle sixer. He works hard and grinds it out, but most of the other guys I see having top-line upside still (such as Strome and Kaprizov). How much of those guys have you seen?

Debrusk's underlying numbers also aren't very strong. He's getting killed relative in possession and xGF stats. Past 15 to around where Debrusk is, its pretty close.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Which ones specifically. I don't see DeBrusk becoming more than a middle sixer. He works hard and grinds it out, but most of the other guys I see having top-line upside still (such as Strome and Kaprizov). How much of those guys have you seen?

Debrusk's underlying numbers also aren't very strong. He's getting killed relative in possession and xGF stats. Past 15 to around where Debrusk is, its pretty close.
Just keep an eye on him and send me a PM in April.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

How many Jets, Tuscon(AHL), KHL, Belleville(AHL)/Sens, Flyers, Blues, Devils, KHL, Coyotes, and Isles games do you watch? I hope it's lots if you're going to infer that DeBrusk is better than a bunch of those guys and then claim others don't think so because they don't watch enough of the 1 guy you watch the most. I would be willing to bet that guy watches more Bruins games than you watches games of most the teams of those other guys.

I'll never get people picking out 1 guy from a list to complain about. If someone is going to make a list of 30 guys in order, it's inevitable that it's not going to be perfect. If someone makes a bad list with a bunch of errors then have at it. Complaining about a difference of opinion of 1 guy which you think is only marginally better than those aboive him(15-22 are all really close), if everyone came and complained about their 1 guy on every list there'd be hundreds of pages of bitching in every single thread. And to claim the guy making the list doesn't watch enough to X player to have him below a bunch of players makes it that much funnier as nobody watches every game of every player. How about you make a list? I'm sure it would be worse than his list which is actually pretty good. And I had DeBrusk on 16 on my list. Marginal differences of opinion of 1 guy in a 30 player lists aren't worth complaining over.

Last edited:

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

Honestly, I think that's an easy general assessment. And very inaccurate. It's his speed and skill that is getting him by at the NHL level right now. Highlight real type stuff. Anyone who has watched him on a regular basis would know that. I don't expect the average fan to key on in Jake DeBrusk..... or even Brandon Carlo for that matter. He's scoring at a 20 goal/50 point clip. I think he's already a good middle sixer. I expect him to be playing opposite Pastrnak for a long time.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
McDavid
Eichel
Provorov/Werenski
Provorov/Werenski
Marner

After that its debateable

I'm not sure about Marner at 5. And I think we can safely put Werenski ahead of Provorov for now. After the first 4 you have Marner/Aho/Rantanen who are all quite close. Then Hanifin at 8. After that it's too early to tell, but Barzal is the frontrunner from the next group of players.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
not that im an expert at everyone else, but i find it hard to believe that barzal should not be consensus top 5 with how good he has been--this is a great draft, but barzal has arguably been the isles best player this year

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I'm not sure about Marner at 5. And I think we can safely put Werenski ahead of Provorov for now. After the first 4 you have Marner/Aho/Rantanen who are all quite close. Then Hanifin at 8. After that it's too early to tell, but Barzal is the frontrunner from the next group of players.

Disagree on the bolded, Provorov is better in his own end from what I've seen and his offensive game is coming along very nicely

Reactions: HyPnOtiK

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Wasn't Strome in this draft what happened? He was gonna be a franchise #1C no?

The draft went as it should have from my memory for the most part.

It's a crapshoot simple as that.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
How many Jets, Tuscon(AHL), KHL, Belleville(AHL)/Sens, Flyers, Blues, Devils, KHL, Coyotes, and Isles games do you watch? I hope it's lots if you're going to infer that DeBrusk is better than a bunch of those guys and then claim others don't think so because they don't watch enough of the 1 guy you watch the most. I would be willing to bet that guy watches more Bruins games than you watches games of most the teams of those other guys.

I'll never get people picking out 1 guy from a list to complain about. If someone is going to make a list of 30 guys in order, it's inevitable that it's not going to be perfect. If someone makes a bad list with a bunch of errors then have at it. Complaining about a difference of opinion of 1 guy which you think is only marginally better than those aboive him(15-22 are all really close), if everyone came and complained about their 1 guy on every list there'd be hundreds of pages of *****ing in every single thread. And to claim the guy making the list doesn't watch enough to X player to have him below a bunch of players makes it that much funnier as nobody watches every game of every player. How about you make a list? I'm sure it would be worse than his list which is actually pretty good. And I had DeBrusk on 16 on my list. Marginal differences of opinion of 1 guy in a 30 player lists aren't worth complaining over.
Because of my Irish/English heritage I don't do particularly well in Dick measuring contests. I'm going to give all these players more time.

Hockey may be my third spore but when the 2015 redraft has actual meat to it you will find Jake DeBrusk in the top 10.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Werenski
4. Provorov
5. Marner
6. Barzal
7. Rantanen
8. Boeser
9. Hanifin
10. Aho
11. Chabot
12. Connor
13. Strome
14. Carlo

After that it gets messy IMO, so in no particular order the rest of my top 30 is (and I'm sure I missed someone)
DeBrusk
Zacha
Konecny
Beauvillier
JEE
Roslovic
White
Fischer
Sprong
JFK
Larsson
Kaprizov