Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft Prospect Discussion - At the Halfway Mark of the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I want that Colombus pick badly. I think they could possibly be inclined to move it for kessel. Of course we would need a prospect with the 1st but i wouldnt even need someone like Jenner more like someone like Wennberg.

But ya id love to get a 2nd pick in that top 10... And then another from 14-20 maybe for Dion or someone.

If we could somehow get Rantanen, Provorov, Konecny from this draft...Rebuild complete lol

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I want that Colombus pick badly. I think they could possibly be inclined to move it for kessel. Of course we would need a prospect with the 1st but i wouldnt even need someone like Jenner more like someone like Wennberg.

But ya id love to get a 2nd pick in that top 10... And then another from 14-20 maybe for Dion or someone.

If we could somehow get Rantanen, Provorov, Konecny from this draft...Rebuild complete lol

Dare to dream :)

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

Wennberg was picked 14th overall in 2013 he probably has as much if not more value then Jenner does to Columbus as he probably has a much higher ceiling then Jenner

Banana Squid

Sep 26, 2011
Ho Chi Minh City
Wennberg was picked 14th overall in 2013 he probably has as much if not more value then Jenner does to Columbus as he probably has a much higher ceiling then Jenner

Would love either of Jenner or Wennberg but sadly I can't see them dealing either. If we could use our pick for let's say Strome, and then deal Phil for just their pick to get Provorov or Barzal I would be ecstatic.

The individual return for Phil might be smaller then you'd might hope, but if we get two number one centres or a number one centre and top pair d man, I'd say it's a success.

Ace88*

Id prefer Jenner to Wennberg by a landslide if only because Jenner is more of what we really need.

Maclean no longer runs the BJs so i would be utterly shocked if he was, in fact, traded.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Most people have McEichel in their own tier and then Hanifin as the top of the 2nd tier (that goes from 3-5imo with Marner/Strome), but some people have that tier from 3-7/8.

The majority of people that think Hanifin is #3 have:
McDavid
Eichel

Hanifin
Strome/Marner

With Eichel and Strome/Marner relatively close to the player ahead of them, but definitely not as good.

The gap between Eichel-Hanifin is bigger than Hannifin-Strome/Marner.

Agree with both of these.

Thanks.

So Hanifin isn't a lock at 3? If the Leafs were to picked 3rd, would they pass on him for a Center?

Last edited:

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Thanks.

So Hanifin isn't a lock at 3? If the Leafs were to picked 3rd, would they pass on him for a Center?

Most people and scouts had Seth Jones at #2 and he went #4.

Were people surprised that Barkov went #2? Of course, because all along there was a unanimous choice that it would be MacKinnon and Jones at the top of the draft. Then, when it happened and he dropped 2 spots, maybe it could be justified?

I'm not willing to say that Hanifin has to be the pick at #3 either way because I can't speak to his talent level outside of 2 games.

I'm not going to be shocked on any pick that the Leafs make because I'm not set on them taking one player over another.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
If Arizona is picking at 4 and the big 3 are gone, there's no doubt in my mind that they'll take Marner. Think about it: the Coyotes already have 2/3rds of the Knights top line in Dvorak & Domi in their system. Why wouldn't they draft Marner and hope that their status as one of the best lines in the CHL can translate to the NHL level?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Were people surprised that Barkov went #2? Of course, because all along there was a unanimous choice that it would be MacKinnon and Jones at the top of the draft. Then, when it happened and he dropped 2 spots, maybe it could be justified?

I'm not willing to say that Hanifin has to be the pick at #3 either way because I can't speak to his talent level outside of 2 games.

I'm not going to be shocked on any pick that the Leafs make because I'm not set on them taking one player over another.

Count me in the tiny group that wasn't surprised to see Barkov go ahead of Jones.

There was some elite trolling ITT leading up to that draft because of that opinion, but I can tell you that serving up crow was my pleasure :laugh:

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
Considering that McDavid and Eichel are considered both generational players.... (Meaning in a typical draft year Hanifin, Strome AND Marner would be duking it out for the number one pick).

My question is how would Hanifin stack up in comparison to Ekblad? I've only seen 2 NCAA games and the US jr games but to me; Ekblad looked more dominant between the 2.... Are they close in potential?

Still a great prospect but I'm starting to learn towards Strome over Hannifin

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Count me in the tiny group that wasn't surprised to see Barkov go ahead of Jones.

There was some elite trolling ITT leading up to that draft because of that opinion, but I can tell you that serving up crow was my pleasure :laugh:

For the majority of people, the case was generally that way though.

In the mid-term rankings, they actually had Seth Jones ahead of Nathan MacKinnon.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=85643

Also had him ahead in the final rankings too.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=88636

Of course it was only for North American skaters, but still most places had those 2 as the "consensus" top 2.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I had Jones at #1 in the 2013 draft. I thought he was going to be the most impactful player in the draft. I see no reason to change this opinion. He's right on schedule to be a great defenceman in the NHL. Nashville has the succession plan from Weber to Jones perfectly planned. Florida is going to regret passing on him for Barkov.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Thanks.

Personally I hope they end up with Marner, if he's gone the best Center available.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Considering that McDavid and Eichel are considered both generational players.... (Meaning in a typical draft year Hanifin, Strome AND Marner would be duking it out for the number one pick).

My question is how would Hanifin stack up in comparison to Ekblad? I've only seen 2 NCAA games and the US jr games but to me; Ekblad looked more dominant between the 2.... Are they close in potential?

I've read up a bit on Hanifin (online sites and from other posters impressions on here), basically the impression I got was left handed Ekblad. Not sure if that is a fair comparison for Hanifin to live up to.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I had Jones at #1 in the 2013 draft. I thought he was going to be the most impactful player in the draft. Florida is going to regret passing on him for Barkov.

I see no reason to change this opinion. He's right on schedule to be a great defenceman in the NHL. Nashville has the succession plan from Weber to Jones perfectly planned.

He could very well be the best player in that draft, but it is far to early to tell either way.

You could realistically make a case for both players.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He could very well be the best player in that draft, but it is far to early to tell either way.

It's early, yes, but Nashville stole him at #4. I think Poille said something to akin it was a miracle he was there for them. His scouts were pushing him to move up once Florida went with Barkov.

Jones is just going to get better and better, and there is no pressure on him. He has Weber and Josi so he can ease in to being #1 in a few years.

I see nothing but Norris trophies for Seth Jones in his future.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

There's a few in that draft who could come out as the best. Pretty packed draft at the top

Ace88*

Honestly? I take Ekblad over Hanifin. I dont think i would even hesitate.

I think theres a slim to none chance that Hanifin does in his rookie season (whatever age that may be for him) what Ekblad is doing in his.

Im not even sold that Hanifin will ever be as good as Ekblad.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Monahan is a guy like Jones, picked with value. He may be one of the best players in the draft. He's got some Jonathan Toews in him, and Calgary got him at #6. Unbelievable value. I would have him at no worse than #3 right now if we redid the 2013 draft.

Jones
Monahan
Mackinnon

Lesson here, Leafs need luck like Nashville and Calgary. You do not have to sink to 30th, you can get great players in the top 12 this draft.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
It's early, yes, but Nashville stole him at #4. I think Poille said something to akin it was a miracle he was there for them. His scouts were pushing him to move up once Florida went with Barkov.

Jones is just going to get better and better, and there is no pressure on him. He has Weber and Josi so he can ease in to being #1 in a few years.

I see nothing but Norris trophies for Seth Jones in his future.

When he goes over to Weber's house for a beer and sees them on the mantle :naughty::sarcasm:

Haha Jones to Nashville was awesome for Nashville, gives them an incredible future on defense.

I'm not sure Florida will regret passing on Barkov though. By all accounts he was their best player last year, and he's been among their best this year. He's going to help form a dominant center core in Florida with Bjugstad. I think they'll be more than happy. I think it was just a case of their being a lot of talent and teams got what they wanted. Florida grabbed Ekblad the year after so they got their number 1 dman anyways. I doubt they regret the decision much. AN argument could be made that it was pretty even in terms of talent in the top 4 (hell even Monahan looks like he's in the same level in terms of talent, something I was wrong about, pleasantly so as a Flames fan).

Draft's are funny, they don't always follow consensus and often times consensus turns out to be quite wrong.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So what's the story on Zacha?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=743383

In addition to his offensive numbers, Zacha has helped linemate Nikita Korostelev join him as an A-ranked skater by Central Scouting. Korostelev leads Sarnia with 14 goals and 33 points in 29 games.

"His on-ice talent speaks for itself, but he has been just as valuable off the ice for our hockey club," Sinclair said of Zacha. "He's a natural leader with high character and has been a great fit for us."

Big center.

Wouldn't he be in the Leafs wheelhouse?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
When he goes over to Weber's house for a beer and sees them on the mantle :naughty::sarcasm:

Haha Jones to Nashville was awesome for Nashville, gives them an incredible future on defense.

I'm not sure Florida will regret passing on Barkov though. By all accounts he was their best player last year, and he's been among their best this year. He's going to help form a dominant center core in Florida with Bjugstad. I think they'll be more than happy. I think it was just a case of their being a lot of talent and teams got what they wanted. Florida grabbed Ekblad the year after so they got their number 1 dman anyways. I doubt they regret the decision much. AN argument could be made that it was pretty even in terms of talent in the top 4 (hell even Monahan looks like he's in the same level in terms of talent, something I was wrong about, pleasantly so as a Flames fan).

Draft's are funny, they don't always follow consensus and often times consensus turns out to be quite wrong.

This was a great draft, I think it is living up to its hype. Barkov will be a fine player I am sure. I wouldn't have picked him at #2. But he's a can't miss useful player.

Monahan and Jones dropped a bit. Drafts are indeed unpredictable. This is why I am not so tank-centric as some here. Sure I want Mcdavid or Eichel. But each draft is different. And I see this draft picking at #5. A no lose situation if this is where we pick. So many great players to choose from. Maybe we fall on a Monahan or Jones this summer. THat would be a boost for Leafs fans.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
So what's the story on Zacha?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=743383

Big center.

Wouldn't he be in the Leafs wheelhouse?

He'd be a stud to add. Absolutely love him. People might not be a fan of the numbers but their pretty similar to RyJo's in his draft year in terms of PPG an GPG (slightly higher GPG, slightly lower PPG, both rookies in their repsective years.

Outside McEichel and probably Hanifin (while I've made it clear I don't think the gap is big and I'm not pumping him, I still like him at 3 right now), I'd consider taking him above Strome honestly. He's right their in the top 6 with Marner/Strome for me.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
This was a great draft, I think it is living up to its hype. Barkov will be a fine player I am sure. I wouldn't have picked him at #2. But he's a can't miss useful player.

Monahan and Jones dropped a bit. Drafts are indeed unpredictable. This is why I am not so tank-centric as some here. Sure I want Mcdavid or Eichel. But each draft is different. And I see this draft picking at #5. A no lose situation if this is where we pick. So many great players to choose from. Maybe we fall on a Monahan or Jones this summer. THat would be a boost for Leafs fans.

It's no-lose sure, but in this case, with two potentially generational talents, it's hard to not want more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad