Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft Prospect Discussion - At the Halfway Mark of the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
There are quite a few players who went undrafted last year that could be drafted this year... I don't know why some people didn't take fliers on some of these guys:

Christian Jaros
Sebastian Aho
Lawrence Pilut
Hannes Bjornen
Joni Tuulola
Eetu Sopanen
Antti Kalapudas
Filip Pyrochta

None of those guys really fill any needs, but you'd think someone would go for some of these guys.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
I want McDavid/Eichel/Barzal/Marner/Kocecny

Not high on - Strome (McDavid factor) and Crouse.

if we got a D like Kylington or Werenzki, i'd be fine either way I guess, I just have a strong preference to grab a potential #1C.

There isn't a Mcdavid factor. Strome would be this highly touted if he played on Saginaw or Plymouth.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Yea there really isn't a "McDavid Factor" as some have mentioned. His biggest concern is his skating, which he or may not be able to fix over time. It was ugly.

One thing to mention is that we should be happy with any pick in the top 10. Besides McDavid and Eichel, you can dissect every player for weaknesses. Truth be told, some flawed, they all possess really good potential.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Yeah Strome certainly isn't the most fleet of foot, but his hockey iq is second to none so he never really gets behind the play. If he can gain half a step he will be fine.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
This is the 10th draft that I've followed with a Leaf angle (Before 06, the draft seemed less important and the Leafs were good anyways). Every year almost I feel like we have looked for that perfect centre.

2006:
Do what we can to take Bryan Little

2007:
Take Couture or Hamill

2008:
Hodgson or Wilson

2009:
Get Schenn at all costs, we ended up with an unexpected Kadri

2010:
D'oh

2011:
Trade up for Mark McNeil or swing for the fences for Ryan Strome

2012:
Galchenyuk, Forsberg and Grigorenko!

2013:
Trade up for Horvat, hope Lazar falls or even take Gauthier

2014:
I think this was the first time we got the centre we expected/wanted, as after all these years, we knew trading up for Reinhart, Draisaitl or Bennett was a dream.

In 9 years, we got Kadri, Gauthier and Nylander. Time for the biggest fish already!

Jul 10, 2003
KW
This is the 10th draft that I've followed with a Leaf angle (Before 06, the draft seemed less important and the Leafs were good anyways). Every year almost I feel like we have looked for that perfect centre.

2006:
Do what we can to take Bryan Little

2007:
Take Couture or Hamill

2008:
Hodgson or Wilson

2009:
Get Schenn at all costs, we ended up with an unexpected Kadri

2010:
D'oh

2011:
Trade up for Mark McNeil or swing for the fences for Ryan Strome

2012:
Galchenyuk, Forsberg and Grigorenko!

2013:
Trade up for Horvat, hope Lazar falls or even take Gauthier

2014:
I think this was the first time we got the centre we expected/wanted, as after all these years, we knew trading up for Reinhart, Draisaitl or Bennett was a dream.

In 9 years, we got Kadri, Gauthier and Nylander. Time for the biggest fish already!

Mo Riles

Inigo Montoya

Aug 29, 2008
Newmarket, ON
Yea there really isn't a "McDavid Factor" as some have mentioned. His biggest concern is his skating, which he or may not be able to fix over time. It was ugly.

One thing to mention is that we should be happy with any pick in the top 10. Besides McDavid and Eichel, you can dissect every player for weaknesses. Truth be told, some flawed, they all possess really good potential.

There is always going to be a "McDavid factor" since they play on the same team. However, the fact is, McDavid was injured for a month and a bit and Strome showed no signs of letting up points wise. He still remained dominant as the offensive force on the Erie Otters in McDavid's absence.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
There is always going to be a "McDavid factor" since they play on the same team. However, the fact is, McDavid was injured for a month and a bit and Strome showed no signs of letting up points wise. He still remained dominant as the offensive force on the Erie Otters in McDavid's absence.

This.

Produced when McDavid was injured or at the WJC.

Isn't playing with McDavid 5 on 5.

Would still be great on the PP without McDavid.

Personally I really like Strome. Once he improves his skating, he has all the tools to be a very good player. Would be awesome to have him with our pick.

Wilbur*

Thoughts on Valiev's potential? Putting up some points this year, Marlies-bound next year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

“The curious thing is, Strome will get on the power play with McDavid but he’ll take all the faceoffs,†said Dan Marr, director of the NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau. “In important times of the game, Strome is out there taking the faceoff. As far as the coaching staff is concerned, he’s very proficient in that area. That’s something NHL scouting directors and general managers look for.â€

The fact Dylan Strome has evidently been pinned as the go-to Otter in the faceoff circle doesn’t elevate him to peer status with McDavid. What it does indicate, however, is that the playmaker from Mississauga is not a passenger. Dylan Strome’s the real deal, a projected top 10-15 pick at the 2015 NHL draft in Sunrise, Fla., next June.

Nice read.

Playing on the same team will of course impact his production as you can't have both McDavid and Strome face the best defenders.

In a short interview, Ryan Strome couldn’t resist reverting back to his younger sibling’s high level of maturity as a person and player. Unprompted, he uttered the words “maturity†or “mature†a half-dozen times over a five-minute conversation.

“The maturity is obviously crazy. He’s much more mature than I was at his age, that’s for sure,†Ryan Strome said with a laugh. “I was obviously smaller than him, not as physically mature. But he’s got all the tools, mature byond his years like I keep saying.â€

Geez.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Nice read.

Playing on the same team will of course impact his production as you can't have both McDavid and Strome face the best defenders.

Geez.

I know its a great article, put Strome on the map for me. After reading I started watching a lot of Otter games (past and present) and have been blown away. He is third ranked for me, above Hanifin and Marner.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I know its a great article, put Strome on the map for me. After reading I started watching a lot of Otter games (past and present) and have been blown away. He is third ranked for me, above Hanifin and Marner.

I was wondering if he PK's?

A rangy pivot, Dylan Strome can sometimes look like a young Joe Thornton, another No. 19 and a player the 6-foot-3, 187-pounder models his game after.

A center with size, who will get heavier as a man and could still have height left.

Oh, well nice to dream but I don't believe the Leafs will get the chance, they'll likely be drafting about 14th./15th. :rant:

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario

A center with size, who will get heavier as a man and could still have height left.

Oh, well nice to dream but I don't believe the Leafs will get the chance, they'll likely be drafting about 14th./15th. :rant:

Are you kidding? Do you realize what level of excellence is required to raise us that far?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

He does PK, he was on the top unit in the games I watched but the majority were in McDavids absence.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
so , riding on the premise of a blow up and a few more years in the basement

what are some of the big tickets for 2016/17 years?

any talk of generationals or the likes?

I have since the start of the season pegged us at 5 th overall pick save for a berny vezina lvl season and we ain't getting that.

so

whats at 5 and

whats the bigs for 16/17 drat years.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
so , riding on the premise of a blow up and a few more years in the basement

what are some of the big tickets for 2016/17 years?

any talk of generationals or the likes?

I have since the start of the season pegged us at 5 th overall pick save for a berny vezina lvl season and we ain't getting that.

so

whats at 5 and

whats the bigs for 16/17 drat years.

@ 5 draft strome, deal Franson with a mid-late 1st (there are too many options to name), deal Kessel and Phaneuf for 2 more firsts + prospects, run with:

JVR - Kadri - XXXX
XXXX - Nylander - XXXX
Komarov - Strome - XXXX
who cares - Carrick - who cares

Rielly - XXXX
Gardiner - Polak
Percy - who cares

Bernier

Tank next season and grab Jakob Chychrun, we can then build off 4 solid forwards, 2 solid D and a solid G (plus the returns on Kessel and Phanuef)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
@ 5 draft strome, deal Franson with a mid-late 1st (there are too many options to name), deal Kessel and Phaneuf for 2 more firsts + prospects, run with:

JVR - Kadri - XXXX
XXXX - Nylander - XXXX
Komarov - Strome - XXXX
who cares - Carrick - who cares

Rielly - XXXX
Gardiner - Polak
Percy - who cares

Bernier

Tank next season and grab Jakob Chychrun, we can then build off 4 solid forwards, 2 solid D and a solid G (plus the returns on Kessel and Phanuef)

might as well add Clarkson,holland,robidas to next years roster I doubt they are going anywhere.

and I highly doubt they rush any "kids" in. so nylander,"strome" cross them out for next yr

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
might as well add Clarkson,holland,robidas to next years roster I doubt they are going anywhere.

and I highly doubt they rush any "kids" in. so nylander,"strome" cross them out for next yr

I'd argue Strome is NHL ready now. I'd be very surprised if he isn't in the NHL next season. Nylander as long as he can build strength should make it as well. He has the skating, shot and hockey IQ of an NHL player, as long as his body can keep up with his relentless forechecking i don't see why he wouldn't be here next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad