Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft Prospect Discussion - At the Halfway Mark of the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
For me, I feel like I'm going to be hung up on Strome, Marner, Barzal and Konecny for the rest of the year.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Would Theo Fleury be a good comparison for Konecny? Undersized sparkplug with incredible offensive skill. Obviously not as small as Fleury is but it was kinda who he reminded me of.

They did throw out a Brendan Gallagher comparison last night, which seems pretty decent imho...he might be a slightly bigger, less annoying, better shooting version of Gallagher.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
There area ton of good players in this draft - great year to have multiple picks - bad year to have only one 1st rounder and no 2nd.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Provorov was tremendous but I also really liked Jeremy Roy back there. I was at the game and he was every bit as good as Provorov on the night. Tremendous skater with a good nose for where the puck and the play is going - high HQ.

Someone is going to be very happy getting Jeremy Roy.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I know I'm in the minority but outside the top 3 my main target is Lawson Crouse.

No I don't think you are, he is an impressive 17 year old that played against older for Canada's gold medal team. It will not be shocking to see him go high.

I do reiterate, this is the year to draft a Center from a Leafs perspective and maybe a #1D. I always say BPA. But if it's close, I sure hope we address the mediocrity down the middle for this franchise.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I want McDavid/Eichel/Barzal/Marner/Kocecny

Not high on - Strome (McDavid factor) and Crouse.

if we got a D like Kylington or Werenzki, i'd be fine either way I guess, I just have a strong preference to grab a potential #1C.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Lawson Crouse is going to be the big what if in this draft

Seems he's the one player where so many people have different opinions...Personally I wouldnt take him if we drafted top 10

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
These are the Players on my radar:

Connor McDavid
Jack Eichel
Dylan Strome
Nick Merkley
Pavel Zacha
Matthew Barzal
Kyle Connor
Travis Konecny
Mitch Marner

Werenski*
Hanifan

If we add a 2nd pick or 2nd rd pick will devote more time to locating more talent. But right now, that's it, we just have one, so better make it a good one.

Ace88*

They did throw out a Brendan Gallagher comparison last night, which seems pretty decent imho...he might be a slightly bigger, less annoying, better shooting version of Gallagher.

so basically not much like gallagher

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Lawson Crouse is going to be the big what if in this draft

Seems he's the one player where so many people have different opinions...Personally I wouldnt take him if we drafted top 10

It seems like the posters on this board are the only ones that are hesitant on bringing a guy like that in. There are multiple people that bring up the PPG issue and can't get over that.

But everyone else throughout the league can get behind drafting him. The Central Scouting, who uses actual scouts, has Crouse ahead of Strome in their mid-season rankings among North American skaters.

I can't say that I've seen every player that is ranked in the top 10 play. But watching Crouse play, it's not all about the points. He's got the NHL size right away and he's a great skater for his size.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It seems like the posters on this board are the only ones that are hesitant on bringing a guy like that in. There are multiple people that bring up the PPG issue and can't get over that.

But everyone else throughout the league can get behind drafting him. The Central Scouting, who uses actual scouts, has Crouse ahead of Strome in their mid-season rankings among North American skaters.

I can't say that I've seen every player that is ranked in the top 10 play. But watching Crouse play, it's not all about the points. He's got the NHL size right away and he's a great skater for his size.

There's a difference between NHL size in the NHL and NHL size in juniors, same with being a great skater, and a great skater for his size.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Assuming the Leafs draft more or less where they are at the present moment, ie somewhere late in the top ten, say at 7 or 8, McDavid, Eichel and Hanifin would be clearly out, but you have to think almost any of the remaining candidates might drop to the Leafs. I hope the Leafs don't fixate on a particular candidate but are ready to snap up the one that drops. Right now, the one that interests me most is Marner, but there are lots of other good candidates.

I also think that the Leafs may be active sellers this year at the trade deadline, which might produce another decent pick, though very likely from a contender and therefore in the 20's. That's a whole different range of possibilities to keep an eye on. I think this might turn out to be an interesting year for Leaf draft geeks.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
There's a difference between NHL size in the NHL and NHL size in juniors, same with being a great skater, and a great skater for his size.

This is very true. I find the whole process of watching and ranking players interesting for those types of reasons.

Are the smaller skilled prospects smart and skilled enough to play the same brand of hockey successfully in the NHL? Some do some don't some never get the chance.

Also are the bigger point producers in junior going to be quick enough to beat the NHL caliber defenses they're going to encounter and will their size become a detriment if they aren't the fastest skater?

One thing is for sure - skill and speed and smarts is mandatory - size is just a bonus. McDavid projects to have enough of all 3 to be a great player in the NHL. Konecny, Marner etc. have the speed and skill. Strome and Crouse have the skill and size.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If the Leafs don't get either of the top 2 picks, Marner would be their desired pick.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I also think that the Leafs may be active sellers this year at the trade deadline, which might produce another decent pick, though very likely from a contender and therefore in the 20's. That's a whole different range of possibilities to keep an eye on. I think this might turn out to be an interesting year for Leaf draft geeks.

So are teams still going to be afraid of the KHL?

A Kucherov would be nice.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
I really hope the Leafs can pick up at least an extra first rounder. In addition to one of the centers that have been discussed I really love Ivan Provorov and Timo Meier.

Provorov looks like a stud. A potential top pairing D-Man who can do it all. I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but I like him better than Rielly at the same stage.

Meier is the kind of do it all forward we don't really have. We have guys who can score, guys who have grit, guys who are solid defensively but we don't really have a guy who checks all the boxes. Meier would be a great compliment to any of our skilled players whether it be Kadri, Nylander, Brown, or Leivo.

Getting another 1st round pick would be awesome. So many great talents available.

I'm also a huge fan of Meier and Provorov. Love Harkins as well.

Konecky is way more skilled imo.

Provorov was tremendous but I also really liked Jeremy Roy back there. I was at the game and he was every bit as good as Provorov on the night. Tremendous skater with a good nose for where the puck and the play is going - high HQ.

Someone is going to be very happy getting Jeremy Roy.

Roy is a complete stud. I've been giving him a lot of hype for a while, but I'd have no problems taking him in the top 5. Top pairing, maybe number one defenceman in the making.

Provorov is awesome as well, Chabot too. Huge upside for all of them. Hoping to at least get one of them in a Leafs uniforme.

I think it would be Hanifin.

Don't get me wrong, Hanifin is very good, but I haven't bought the type yet. Obviously I'd take him pretty high, but he's the clear-cut number three for me. Strome, Marner, Roy and Provorov are very close and I'd may take a few of them before Hanifin. Would need to see more tho.

Still, nothing against Hanifin who is a great prospect and would be an awesome add to our organisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad