2015 NHL Draft Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Need should only be used as an absolute tie breaker if two players are ranked with exact same point score or whatever tool a team uses to rank their draft board. Just my opinion.

Meh. I think these kids are so close in potential ability that they're often interchangeable in rankings. Especially when we're talking D vs F.

I see what you're saying, and I don't think you're wrong. I just disagree on how big the gap is, I guess.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
There's a couple forwards I would take hands down before any of the dmen,

Svechnikov being the big one. That could actually be there.

Konecy and white are interesting because of their mammoth D-1 seasons

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
There's a couple forwards I would take hands down before any of the dmen,

Svechnikov being the big one. That could actually be there.

Konecy and white are interesting because of their mammoth D-1 seasons

I still feel like Konecny is destined to be a King for some reason. But there's a pretty good chance that Svech will be there at 17

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Meh. I think these kids are so close in potential ability that they're often interchangeable in rankings. Especially when we're talking D vs F.

I see what you're saying, and I don't think you're wrong. I just disagree on how big the gap is, I guess.

Trust your scouts, trust your ranking system. For all we know, drafting for need you can end up with Matt Smaby (D) instead of Bergeron a few picks later. Or Hugh Jessiman (F) instead of Brent Seabrook. If you have Seabrook rated "slightly" higher than Jessiman, but pick Jessiman for need at Forward...that's a disaster that could eventually get scouts and GM's fired. If you have Jessiman ranked higher and draft him, well at least you stuck to your board and learn from your mistakes.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
I think the Jets should draft for need and their biggest need imo is the best player available.

things-that-blew-your-mind-when-you-were-a-kid-1-30991-1346448555-3_big.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Need should only be used as an absolute tie breaker if two players are ranked with exact same point score or whatever tool a team uses to rank their draft board. Just my opinion.

Thats just it though. After the first few there will always be a virtual tie among some few players. We may argue at great length about several players but that is just evidence of how close they really are.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Thats just it though. After the first few there will always be a virtual tie among some few players. We may argue at great length about several players but that is just evidence of how close they really are.

There will be a virtual tie among us as fans who develop our preferences on consensus lists, brief scouting reports and if lucky a few limited viewings. It is easy for our personal biases to sway our opinions. The Jets (or any NHL team) however, will have multiple focused viewings, in-depth interviews with the player, his junior coach, family members etc. They will put together their board with many X's more information then we can possibly have. Thus, separating out seemingly evenly matched prospects.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There will be a virtual tie among us as fans who develop our preferences on consensus lists, brief scouting reports and if lucky a few limited viewings. It is easy for our personal biases to sway our opinions. The Jets (or any NHL team) however, will have multiple focused viewings, in-depth interviews with the player, his junior coach, family members etc. They will put together their board with many X's more information then we can possibly have. Thus, separating out seemingly evenly matched prospects.

Ah you beat me to it. When you take a logjam of talent it would be much easier to tier it if you were able to find out what kind of kids they are.

Its pretty fascinating really especially when you think of how high the stakes are.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

Yup.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I agree that they will have much more and better information and they will make a choice out of the group of players clustered around #17. But it may well be decided by position as the tie breaker or Chevy's (or someone else's) personal like or dislike because they will still be so close to each other that there simply won't be any other criteria to use. More information won't separate candidates when they really are equal.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Hey remember at the beginning of the year when I said this was going to be a deep draft for defensemen and that is a direction I could see us going and people disagreed?

Well I'm back to rub it in your faces.

Well the way I see it is we need prospective defencemen more than any other position -- that hasn't really changed. I'd be all for getting two D prospects & one top rated F with our first three picks

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Annnnnnnd .... the ruble could rebound tomorrow and the KHL along with it. Perhaps unlikely but in 2 years it is both possible and probable.

Think about this:

How many Russians have walked out from their NHL team (taking circumstances into consideration)?

How many Russians are in the NHL?

You're letting a very small amount of men poison a very big well that could give your NHL team success.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Annnnnnd?

Russian factor is low now. That matters for players like Burmi, Panarin or Tikhonov who are in their prime now.

The KHL, Russian economy and Ruble are likely to be stronger in the future. That matters for players in this draft who will be hitting their prime in the future.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Think about this:

How many Russians have walked out from their NHL team (taking circumstances into consideration)?

How many Russians are in the NHL?

You're letting a very small amount of men poison a very big well that could give your NHL team success.

I didn't say I wouldn't draft Russians only that the KHL is likely to be a factor again by the time players drafted this year reach RFA status or before. I'm not certain I would take a chance on Svetch at 17. That depends on who else is available but I am just a little concerned about the Russian factor. If he is still there at 25 I take him for certain. The Russian factor is not that big. Zboril and Svetch in the 1st round would be quite a haul. I doubt Svetch is still there at 25 though so that would be the decision at 17. Take him then or take someone else and lose him.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I didn't say I wouldn't draft Russians only that the KHL is likely to be a factor again by the time players drafted this year reach RFA status or before. I'm not certain I would take a chance on Svetch at 17. That depends on who else is available but I am just a little concerned about the Russian factor. If he is still there at 25 I take him for certain. The Russian factor is not that big. Zboril and Svetch in the 1st round would be quite a haul. I doubt Svetch is still there at 25 though so that would be the decision at 17. Take him then or take someone else and lose him.

If I think he's the best player available I take him.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
1-EDMONTON - Connor McDavid
2-BUFFALO - Jack Eichel
3-ARIZONA - Dylan Strome
4-TORONTO - Noah Hanifin
5-CAROLINA - Mitch Marner
6-NEW JERSEY - Matt Barzal
7-PHILLY - Lawson Crouse
8-COLUMBUS - Ivan Provorov
9-SAN JOSE - Zach Werenski
10-COLORADO - Mikko Rantanen
11-FLORIDA - Pavel Zacha
12-DALLAS - Kyle Connor
13-LA - Travis Konecny
14-BOSTON - Timo Meier
15-CALGARY - Thomas Chabot
16-EDMONTON - Jeremy Roy

If the draft went like this, who would you all take at 17?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If I think he's the best player available I take him.

That would be that decision if he is available at 17. Him or the someone else. You can be sure it will be a close race to determine who is the BPA. So close that Russian or not Russian may be the only criteria available to differentiate. If it is a tie, an absolute tie do you take the Russian?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
1-EDMONTON - Connor McDavid
2-BUFFALO - Jack Eichel
3-ARIZONA - Dylan Strome
4-TORONTO - Noah Hanifin
5-CAROLINA - Mitch Marner
6-NEW JERSEY - Matt Barzal
7-PHILLY - Lawson Crouse
8-COLUMBUS - Ivan Provorov
9-SAN JOSE - Zach Werenski
10-COLORADO - Mikko Rantanen
11-FLORIDA - Pavel Zacha
12-DALLAS - Kyle Connor
13-LA - Travis Konecny
14-BOSTON - Timo Meier
15-CALGARY - Thomas Chabot
16-EDMONTON - Jeremy Roy

If the draft went like this, who would you all take at 17?

Among NA skaters it would be between Zboril and Svetchnikov. Close but I think I take Zboril.

I notice that the only Euro player taken so far is Rantanen. There are several interesting Euro players at that level. All of Gurianov RW, Kylington LD, Spacek RW, Carlsson LD and Larsson LD would be worthy of consideration. Of those I think it would come down to Gurianov and Larsson for me.

I still take Zboril though. BPA in my opinion FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad