2015 NHL Draft Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Conducting a mock draft and the Jets GM hasn't responded so I'm forced to auto pick for them. In this scenario the Jets actually have picks #18 and 19. In the rules I'm supposed to pick the top ranked player by CSB but Zboril and Chabot are fairly close so I thought I would get some opinons. With the other pick there is a forward who is by far the top player left by the rankings.

Interesting, thanks. I ask because I think the consensus hope around here is a high end forward with that pick.

I haven't seen much of Zboril although he sounds good. I did like Chabot's game in the prospects game and in the U18's.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think the Jets take Zboril, I think he fits into the type of player they like. Hes very Morrissey like

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Actually, speaking of Zboril, how did he compare to other D-men in the Czech U-20 league offensively?

And how much are European D-men affected offensively by the move to NA hockey?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd love to have Zboril, I've read a few scouting reports about him easily being the most physical defender in the draft. So much so that there are testaments from players in the Q saying that he's one of the guy's you have to look out for when he's on the ice at all times or else you may end up getting derailed and he doesn't mind the fisticuffs either. A friend of mine said he has a great shot as well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Zboril is pretty awesome. So is Meloche, Pilon, Dunn, Andersson, and even Chabot and few others too. This year has a really solid second tier for defense.

I'd be happy with Zboril or another of the good second tier defensemen with one of our 1st rounders.

I think the Jets could end up with a few more very good prospects from this draft.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The thing about second tier defensemen is it's not that rare for them to become first tier defensmen.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I'd be happy with Zboril or another of the good second tier defensemen with one of our 1st rounders.

I think the Jets could end up with a few more very good prospects from this draft.

Yup, really excited for this draft.

Given our draft position and pick location it's not unfeasible for us to end up with 1 high impact forward and 2 of those second tier defencemen.

that would just make my day

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The thing about second tier defensemen is it's not that rare for them to become first tier defensmen.

This year especially.

Given our draft position and pick location it's not unfeasible for us to end up with 1 high impact forward and 2 of those second tier defencemen.

Preaching to the choir boys.

Over the last few days my moderately enthusiastic anticipation of a skilled forward at 17 (if that is BPA) has been surpassed by my very enthusiastic anticipation of two really solid second tier D men at 25 amd 47 (if they are BPA) Lots of red meat in that group for sure and it is where I see excellent value in this draft.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Me too, although looking at where our picks are I like the idea of getting two high end forwards first, and getting a D at 47. Just seems like after the first few high end D (Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski), that there isn't as much separation in the D as there is in the forwards.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Hey remember at the beginning of the year when I said this was going to be a deep draft for defensemen and that is a direction I could see us going and people disagreed?

Well I'm back to rub it in your faces.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Hey remember at the beginning of the year when I said this was going to be a deep draft for defensemen and that is a direction I could see us going and people disagreed?

Well I'm back to rub it in your faces.

Proof will be in the pudding Jun 26-27.

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay
That's all I needed! Sweech's pre-draft propaganda has once again sold me! :thumbu:
Maybe we can load up on backend lefties in the first? Grow some instant depth there.
J.Zboril & O.Kylington or J.Larsson.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I maintain that we should get 2 D-men from our first three picks, unless some truly amazing forward prospect drops in our laps after we've already picked one.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
I maintain that we should get 2 D-men from our first three picks, unless some truly amazing forward prospect drops in our laps after we've already picked one.

I don't disagree, though specifically with our first pick at 17 I like the forwards projected to be available a bit more than the defenceman. So ideally I'd like to see a forward at 17, then 25 and 47 can be both defencemen.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Judging from what some of you guys are saying, I think I have to agree with Romang. We got quite a few young forwards in the system and on the team. Adding some more good defensive prospects would be good if the opportunity arises. Especially with how defenseman develop slower and our patience with prospects. It's very enticing.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't disagree, though specifically with our first pick at 17 I like the forwards projected to be available a bit more than the defenceman. So ideally I'd like to see a forward at 17, then 25 and 47 can be both defencemen.

I find that a bit hard to say. There is so much variability in the guesses of who might be available when. With so many list to look at my head starts spinning. In the end it will be BPA but even there when the time comes there will be 3-4-5 players virtually tied. Then it might come down to position. Looking at our prospect pool we have far more promising Fs than Ds but our NHL roster is much shorter in Fs than in Ds, although we spend far more time arguing about Ds here. Given our shortage of NHL Fs I would lean toward drafting the F if all else is equal.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
I find that a bit hard to say. There is so much variability in the guesses of who might be available when. With so many list to look at my head starts spinning. In the end it will be BPA but even there when the time comes there will be 3-4-5 players virtually tied. Then it might come down to position. Looking at our prospect pool we have far more promising Fs than Ds but our NHL roster is much shorter in Fs than in Ds, although we spend far more time arguing about Ds here. Given our shortage of NHL Fs I would lean toward drafting the F if all else is equal.

I believe BPA will be a forward at 17, is what I'm trying to say.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

The road to mediocrity is pretty much guaranteed when you draft for need. BPA all the way.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The road to mediocrity is pretty much guaranteed when you draft for need. BPA all the way.

But it doesn't look like there will be clear cut BPA's all the way throughout the draft. There very seldom is. And if there are two prospects ranked very close together, one of which is a LD and the other one is a goalie prospect, I know which one I'd like the Jets to pick. Take advantage of how deep this draft looks in regards of 2nd tier D-men.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
But it doesn't look like there will be clear cut BPA's all the way throughout the draft. There very seldom is. And if there are two prospects ranked very close together, one of which is a LD and the other one is a goalie prospect, I know which one I'd like the Jets to pick. Take advantage of how deep this draft looks in regards of 2nd tier D-men.

Need should only be used as an absolute tie breaker if two players are ranked with exact same point score or whatever tool a team uses to rank their draft board. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad