OT: 2015 NFL Football Discussion, parte deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm not sure either of those guys are really franchise QB's, teams sometimes invent QB's at the combine going into the draft cause they're desperate. If they are franchise QB's, the hype train was late in arriving since both guys (or at least Wentz) were like mid-low first rounders in the early mocks.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Fitz rather not play football than take the Jets current offer.

That already got debunked

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz 14m14 minutes ago
I spoke to a source who said the report about Fitzpatrick being willing to sit out is not true. Fitz wants to play. #nyj

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
that Tunsil situation was wild, man

I can't believe Miami ended up with arguably the best player in this draft at 13

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

I can't believe Miami ended up with arguably the best player in this draft at 13

Even stranger that more character questions came out during his post draft interview. What a weird draft for him. Hopefully for Miami he doesn't get mixed up in the downtown scene.

Gmen made a garbage pick at #10, especially with Hargreaves still on the board.

The Bucs say thank you :laugh: They drop down and pick up an extra pick and still get their man despite the team in front of them picking the same position.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wouldn't celebrate Tunsil until you know for certain the guy's not a wackjob...teams just haven't had time to do due dillegence but some people like Tannenbaum don't care about that kind of stuff anyway. The timing was just horrendous for Tunsil though, he dropped several spots easy and I wasn't even sure why until I saw all this stuff on him after the fact cause I wasn't watching the early part of the draft.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Even stranger that more character questions came out during his post draft interview. What a weird draft for him. Hopefully for Miami he doesn't get mixed up in the downtown scene.

The Bucs say thank you :laugh: They drop down and pick up an extra pick and still get their man despite the team in front of them picking the same position.

the reason he got suspended from Ole Miss is because of what he admitted. Its not really new information. I don't blame him for that as much as I blame the school

I wouldn't celebrate Tunsil until you know for certain the guy's not a wackjob...teams just haven't had time to do due dillegence but some people like Tannenbaum don't care about that kind of stuff anyway. The timing was just horrendous for Tunsil though, he dropped several spots easy and I wasn't even sure why until I saw all this stuff on him after the fact cause I wasn't watching the early part of the draft.

Dolphins did plenty of due diligence on him. the GM Grier knew exactly when the video was from.

if that video is all that the fall was, they got a steal.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

I couldn't believe it either. You'd figure with Reese on the hot seat that he would take the better players. Maybe he didn't think Hargreaves was a "fit."

Somewhere, Coughlin is probably laughing his ass off.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

While I think the Giants should have traded back, I really don't understand why many "experts" regard Hargreaves so highly. Wasn't impressed by his compete level. Routinely got toasted. And lacks ideal size.

At least I saw Apple compete and he has size. Reminds me a lot of Xavier Rhodes, so expect a lot of holding/PI calls when he gets beat. :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Tunsil fall was 'fun', shades of Warren Sapp's fall in 1995. Bosa was a bit out of left field for the Chargers as most of the talk was Tunsil/Ramsey and some for Stanley late.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

I can. Character is a huge issue when evaluating these ~22 year olds.

At the end of the day, while the skillset admittedly takes you the farthest, the type person they are is a massive consideration as well. NFL history is fraught with "Tunsil's" picked top-10 based on their talent, who were known to be idiots, who squandered everything because of their character and turned out to be busts. I bet without googling you can think of 4 or 5 right off the top of your head. Guys busted either directly because of their idiocy, or because of the fact that in the NFL you have to work no matter how talented you are (i.e. relying on 100% talent will have you out of the league in < 3 years).

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I can. Character is a huge issue when evaluating these ~22 year olds.

At the end of the day, while the skillset admittedly takes you the farthest, the type person they are is a massive consideration as well. NFL history is fraught with "Tunsil's" picked top-10 based on their talent, who were known to be idiots, who squandered everything because of their character and turned out to be busts. I bet without googling you can think of 4 or 5 right off the top of your head. Guys busted either directly because of their idiocy, or because of the fact that in the NFL you have to work no matter how talented you are (i.e. relying on 100% talent will have you out of the league in < 3 years).

smoking weed 2-3 years ago is not a "character concern" :laugh:

plus, his agent is also the Dolphins coach (Adam Gase)'s agent. I am sure they got all the info they needed.

Tunsil was a top 5 talent in this draft and Miami got him at 13 without even having to trade up. home run pick at this point and time.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

plus, his agent is also the Dolphins coach (Adam Gase)'s agent. I am sure they got all the info they needed.

Tunsil was a top 5 talent in this draft and Miami got him at 13 without even having to trade up. home run pick at this point and time.

Doesn't mean he isn't doing weed now. Ask Josh Gordon about how damaging weed can be to an NFL career. And it's just kind of stupid that the guy taped himself or allowed himself to be taped doing it and admitted taking money in college (granted I don't really blame him doing that, just being naive enough to admit to it).

I also don't buy the agent character reference, he has a reason to vouch for his client. BB buddy Urban Meyer vouched for Aaron Hernandez too.

Last edited:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Somebody was going to stop Tunsil's fall eventually but just because weed is slowly being legalized in America, does not mean that smoking it 2-3 years ago doesn't bring up character concerns. It makes each and every team question if this young man will be mature enough to not allow something as stupid as weed (or other drugs) and alcohol to derail his career and their massive commitment to him.

Especially in a league where fans like me are getting more and more sick of teams giving the Josh Gordon's and Greg Hardys of the world a second chance.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Maybe I don't understand, but why do so many of these players like Tunsil get caught (or admit) to receiving money for housing? Nevermind the scholarships, you are telling me these kids aren't qualifying for loans from the government? I find that extremely hard to believe. They aren't receiving additional aid for coming from less well off families or coming from divorced/single parent homes? Find that hard to believe too.

What's a student apartment down there? Like $300 a month? What a joke these players need their (ridiculously overpaid) coaches to give them some cash. At worst, sack up or have your parent(s) sack up and get a loan like every other student in the same financial position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad