OT: 2015 NFL Football Discussion, parte deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The only two positives I saw was the corner Burress and the WR Anderson.

They need to blow up the TE spot. I despise Sudfeld and Davis. They're both terrible and useless.

Something I never understood about preseason. They always show vanilla offenses and defenses but what's the point? Everybody runs the same plays. The film from last year hasn't changed. And even if you bring in a new coordinator, there's film on his system too.

I guess it's possible you could adjust your system to fit the players' talents and nobody wants other teams to see the adjustments till Game 1. Certainly I wouldn't expect any trick plays in the preseason ever. And maybe you don't want to tip your hand as to any kind of a pattern in calling plays. Plus I guess there's something to be said about defensively wanting to see man on man matchups and not calling overload blitzes while offensively you want to see how good your players are man on man blocking.

But like you I think the secrecy is overrated and might even hurt as much as it helps. You should want to see if your players can execute the more complicated parts of the system in the preseason.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Had my 12 man, .5ppr draft last night with my buddies. We do $200 buy-in so everyone takes it pretty seriously...maybe too seriously lol:

QB: Carr, Brady
RB: Lacy, Hill, Alfred Morris, Sproles, Rashad Jennings, McKinnon
WR: A Brown, Mike Evans, Mike Floyd, Shepard, Josh Gordon
TE: Gates, Eifert
K: Crosby
D: Texans

Only real regret is taking Lacy at the start of the 3rd. I'm high on him, but Jeffery and Jordy were still on the board. Issue was I didn't think I would have many RB options after the next 22 picks.

Some other notes:
- I think there's a good chance AP goes down this year and McKinnon has looked good.
- Jennings was a really late pick; I generally refuse to draft Giants' RBs despite being a fan.
- Sproles should see 80+ catches considering what Woodhead did last season (new coordinator).
- I don't trust rookie RBs in pass protection, never have. So Elliott could split more than people are thinking with Morris in my opinion who is very reliable.
- Definitely reached for Gordon. Don't really know why I did...I'm not even "high" on him. Couldn't resist the upside vs what was left on the board I guess
- Gates and Eifert were picked in the 9th and 16th rounds, respectively. I thought those were steals even though I don't expect Eifert back before week 8.

Last edited:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Had my 12 man, .5ppr draft last night with my buddies. We do $200 buy-in so everyone takes it pretty seriously...maybe too seriously lol:

Only real regret is taking Lacy at the start of the 3rd. I'm high on him, but Jeffery and Jordy were still on the board. Issue was I didn't think I would have many RB options after the next 22 picks.

Some other notes:
- I think there's a good chance AP goes down this year and McKinnon has looked good.
- Jennings was a really late pick; I generally refuse to draft Giants' RBs despite being a fan.
- Sproles should see 80+ catches considering what Woodhead did last season (new coordinator).
- I don't trust rookie RBs in pass protection, never have. So Elliott could split more than people are thinking with Morris in my opinion who is very reliable.
- Definitely reached for Gordon. Don't really know why I did...I'm not even "high" on him. Couldn't resist the upside vs what was left on the board I guess
- Gates and Eifert were picked in the 9th and 16th rounds, respectively. I thought those were steals even though I don't expect Eifert back before week 8.

Good lord if my friends and I had $2400 on the line, we would all no longer be friends by the end :laugh:

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Good lord if my friends and I had $2400 on the line, we would all no longer be friends by the end :laugh:

3rd year running it, still the same 12 we started with. Began the year after college graduation obviously, no way in hell would I have done it before that. :laugh:

1st gets $1600
2nd $600
3rd $200 (money back)

No issues between owners, but you do contemplate making or may already have a hit list of NFL players from each season...

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

No pun intended...amirite:laugh: I can't help it.

Seeing as you had Antonio Brown, you had the #1 pick?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Some other notes:

I want to do a massive buy-in like that but with a keeper league. You get to keep one QB, one RB, one WR, one TE, and one flex. Adds a bit more strategy mid-season, in my opinion. A team with say Brady and a rookie Cam Newton might trade Cam Newton for a better RB if he has a serious chance to win the league.

In all honesty though, I think a hockey keeper league would be even better, but I don't know enough people who follow it enough to do that. I'd lose interest in a fantasy league like that if I didn't have friends I was trying to beat :laugh:.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
3rd year running it, still the same 12 we started with. Began the year after college graduation obviously, no way in hell would I have done it before that. :laugh:

1st gets $1600
2nd $600
3rd $200 (money back)

No issues between owners, but you do contemplate making or may already have a hit list of NFL players from each season...

Sounds awesome but I would second guess every move too much and lose sleep if that much money were on the line.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I want to do a massive buy-in like that but with a keeper league. You get to keep one QB, one RB, one WR, one TE, and one flex. Adds a bit more strategy mid-season, in my opinion. A team with say Brady and a rookie Cam Newton might trade Cam Newton for a better RB if he has a serious chance to win the league.

In all honesty though, I think a hockey keeper league would be even better, but I don't know enough people who follow it enough to do that. I'd lose interest in a fantasy league like that if I didn't have friends I was trying to beat :laugh:.

Keeper leagues are awesome. I love the strategy behind thinking more than just this season. I never find enough friends that can keep an interest long term though.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
No pun intended...amirite:laugh: I can't help it.

Seeing as you had Antonio Brown, you had the #1 pick?

Yea, so the first season all members got randomly assigned a Nascar driver (none of us follow Nascar), and where your guy finished relative to everyone else in the league is the order in which we selected our spots.

My guy was leading the race and wrecked with the driver my other buddy had so we were last to select. :laugh:

That was just for the inaugural season though. We like to have everyone pick their spot in the draft based on where they finished the previous season. So I finished 2nd last year, and my friend that won chose the 3rd pick. I picked the 1st.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Sounds awesome but I would second guess every move too much and lose sleep if that much money were on the line.

Yea, I actually lose more sleep over holding the cash. We all agree on a relatively safe stock or ETF and I put it in at the beginning of the season. Sell at some point in January, and winner is paid based on the allocations I mentioned earlier.

I think we just kinda forget about the money to be honest. I'd say 8 of us 12 have pretty big egos so bragging rights are king. :laugh:

Daily fantasy on the otherhand, I lose a lot of sleep over.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
haha

WiFSkfx.jpg

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Does anyone really care about the world views of a guy who plays a kids game for a living?
I sure don't.
I vehemently disagree with disrespecting the National Anthem but unless the league mandates its players to stand there is nothing anyone can do.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Does anyone really care about the world views of a guy who plays a kids game for a living?
I sure don't.
I vehemently disagree with disrespecting the National Anthem but unless the league mandates its players to stand there is nothing anyone can do.

Given the issues facing the NFL, this is a non-story. It's just a dogwhistle story in the sports and political media that gets them ratings.

Why do we even have national anthems at sporting events anyway?

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I sure don't.

Perhaps not, but I think you'd be a little more animated if say DSP decided to sit on the bench during the anthems.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
12 man Yahoo draft with no PPR last night,

QBs: Eli, Matt Ryan
RBs: David Johnson, Forte, Duke Johnson Jr.
WRs: Jordy Nelson, Demaryius Thomas, Decker, Markus Wheaton, Kamar Aiken, Will Fuller
TEs: Julius Thomas, Tyler Eifert
K: Folk
D: Arizona

I feel it has potential to be great, but could just as easily flop. Would love for Eifert to come back early from his injury rehab and dominate the way he did last year.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
12 man Yahoo draft with no PPR last night,

QBs: Eli, Matt Ryan
RBs: David Johnson, Forte, Duke Johnson Jr.
WRs: Jordy Nelson, Demaryius Thomas, Decker, Markus Wheaton, Kamar Aiken, Will Fuller
TEs: Julius Thomas, Tyler Eifert
K: Folk
D: Arizona

I feel it has potential to be great, but could just as easily flop. Would love for Eifert to come back early from his injury rehab and dominate the way he did last year.

I like your WR depth. I did the same exact thing with my TEs. I'd dangle one of your WRs for another RB.

Had my 10-team .5 PPR league draft sunday:

QB: E. Manning, Bortles
WR: AJ Green, D. Thomas, Cobb, Maclin, Wheaton
RB: Peterson, McCoy, Gordon, Bernard, McKinnon
TE: J. Thomas, Eifert
K: Hauschka
DEF: Cincinnati

hockeyr5

Mar 8, 2009
I only do an 8 team league unfortunately. But it is with a good group of college friends and they don't want to add random people to get it to 10 or twelve. Anyway, ends up looking like an all-star team but here is what I got:

QB: Drew Brees, Jameis Winston
RB: David Johnson, Ezekiel Elliott, Matt Jones, Thomas Rawls
WR: Amari Cooper, Mike Evans, Doug Baldwin, Kelvin Benjamin, Corey Coleman, Josh Gordon
TE: Antonio Gates
DEF: Vikings
K: Dan Bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->