OT: 2015 NFL Football Discussion, parte deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
The NCAA is the model for the southern economy. Thousands work for damn near nothing, control those workers with oppressive rules, and a few at the top financially benefit.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
The NCAA is the model for the southern economy. Thousands work for damn near nothing, control those workers with oppressive rules, and a few at the top financially benefit.

Ah yes, the NCAA is akin to slavery. Talk about an enormous overreach and ignorant statement. And I say that while absolutely hating the NCAA. Totally no financial benefit to a free degree at a solid 4 year institution. Or world class training facilities. Or easy classes/access and free extra help. Or getting to travel the country with everything paid for (and in first class style). Nevermind all the social perks.

And for those that play and aren't on scholarship (most are in FBS programs), I'm not going to throw a pity party either. At that point you make the adult decision to either focus on your studies or try to balance them with playing ball. I had a D2 75% ride to play soccer in college. I made the adult decision to go to a school with a better academic program where I would need to be more committed to my studies and just play club, if even that.

To reiterate, I hate the NCAA and agree it is pretty much a criminal organization. However, to act like players receive no benefit and frame it as you did is ridiculous. They aren't being forced to play. It's their choice.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Ah yes, the NCAA is akin to slavery. Talk about an enormous overreach and ignorant statement. And I say that while absolutely hating the NCAA. Totally no financial benefit to a free degree at a solid 4 year institution. Or world class training facilities. Or easy classes/access and free extra help. Or getting to travel the country with everything paid for (and in first class style). Nevermind all the social perks.

And for those that play and aren't on scholarship (most are in FBS programs), I'm not going to throw a pity party either. At that point you make the adult decision to either focus on your studies or try to balance them with playing ball. I had a D2 75% ride to play soccer in college. I made the adult decision to go to a school with a better academic program where I would need to be more committed to my studies and just play club, if even that.

To reiterate, I hate the NCAA and agree it is pretty much a criminal organization. However, to act like players receive no benefit and frame it as you did is ridiculous. They aren't being forced to play. It's their choice.

Not slavery, but indentured servitude. There's a big difference.

Most colleges don't give a **** about their players' education. Those degrees mean nothing if Joe Blow still can't put two sentences together. The program pushes these kids through to satisfy whatever BS graduation rate mandate is put on them. The NCAA had to actually put a cap on practice time. But there are other "activities" that they have to participate in.

http://www.businessinsider.com/college-student-athletes-spend-40-hours-a-week-practicing-2015-1

So you have this kid who now has sore joints has what to show for it? Some muscles and some memories.

Athletes, who don't give a ****, accept gifts because they can't have a job. It gets their school banned from postseason play and they lose scholarships. I, as a student and/or a taxpayer, then get to subsidize the football or basketball program because you can't get rid of the coach who make $7M/yr.

There are only a few schools that make money on football. The rest lose money on it.

The biggest winners are coaches, their admins, the NCAA, a few schools like Alabama, and the NFL/NBA (indirectly). Some get to subsidize the other sports at their school because of Title IX.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2015/11/23/running-up-the-bills/

You are right that the player ultimately decides on whether or not to play, but that doesn't mean that the system is terribly flawed.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
you are REALLY stretching with this comparison....

Perhaps...It's a topic that infuriates me and hits close to home.

It's a glorified gym membership that allows you to play a kid's game on weekends. In return, the players get a piece of paper that makes mine more worthless everyday. Finally it allows for a select few to richly benefit at the expense of almost EVERYBODY.

Books can be written to discuss the negative trickle down effects that college sports have on society.

Last edited:

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Not slavery, but indentured servitude. There's a big difference.

Most colleges don't give a **** about their players' education. Those degrees mean nothing if Joe Blow still can't put two sentences together. The program pushes these kids through to satisfy whatever BS graduation rate mandate is put on them. The NCAA had to actually put a cap on practice time. But there are other "activities" that they have to participate in.

http://www.businessinsider.com/college-student-athletes-spend-40-hours-a-week-practicing-2015-1

So you have this kid who now has sore joints has what to show for it? Some muscles and some memories. Disagree with this

Athletes, who don't give a ****, accept gifts because they can't have a job. It gets their school banned from postseason play and they lose scholarships. I, as a student and/or a taxpayer, then get to subsidize the football or basketball program because you can't get rid of the coach who make $7M/yr. For Public schools, I mostly agree with this

There are only a few schools that make money on football. The rest lose money on it. Inconclusive at best when we are talking about real programs

The biggest winners are coaches, their admins, the NCAA, a few schools like Alabama, and the NFL/NBA (indirectly). Some get to subsidize the other sports at their school because of Title IX. Agree with most of this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2015/11/23/running-up-the-bills/

You are right that the player ultimately decides on whether or not to play, but that doesn't mean that the system is terribly flawed.

I mean, what do you want these college's to do? They give guys an opportunity, one that many of these players would NEVER have based solely on their academics, to earn a degree. They can't make you choose a major other than Sports Marketing. Or go to class. Or enroll in Finance 101 over Intro to Soccer Coaching (favorite class I took. I was the only non D1 athlete in it :laugh:). These guys are ****ing adults. They are being given serious advantages over non-student athletes. It's on them to make the most of it.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Perhaps...It's a topic that infuriates me and hits close to home.

It's a glorified gym membership that allows you to play a kid's game on weekends. In return, the players get a piece of paper that makes mine more worthless everyday. Finally it allows for a select few to richly benefit at the expense of almost EVERYBODY.

Books can be written to discuss the negative trickle down effects that college sports have on society.

I'm pretty certain Joe Blow with a 2.1 GPA in Communications that can't put 2 sentences together isn't going to beat you out for that job you want. Even if he got past the resume screening, I'd think you would be golden during the interview stage(s).

Not to overreach here, but it sounds like you got (or are getting) a degree in one of the majors that student athletes generally align to. If so, all you need to do is keep a high GPA. If not, you shouldn't be concerned with them hindering the value of your degree.

Sidenote: We are obviously using extreme generalizations here. A lot of student athletes impressively perform well in both their sport and in the classroom.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

The problem is that the NCAA has a monopoly on what you might call 18-23 year old amateur football and basketball. By contrast, even if college baseball and hockey brought in as much money as football and basketball, very few people would be complaining that college baseball and hockey players were not getting paid as they would have the option of signing pro contracts with professional teams, or, in the case of hockey, might be able to play for a European team.

If the NBA raised its minimum age requirement to 20 or 21, I could see the best high school basketball players agreeing to play abroad for two years for pay. It's also possible that a few very rich guys might get together and start something akin to the CHL, except the players would be paid more than stipends. So players not yet eligible for the NBA could decide whether it's better to get paid something, or go the NCAA route where they could take advantage of more exposure, scholarships, and probably better facilities and coaching.

Doubt something like that could work for football though for a variety of reasons. But seems at least plausible for basketball.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Rolando McClain suspended 10 games for violating the NFL substance abuse policy, again.

:laugh: :laugh: Sucks to suck Dallas.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Some NFL news today on the franchise tag deadline day the Jets and Mo Wilkerson actually agree to a deal, which ranks as a stunner to me.

In almost as big a stunner Tom Brady's FINALLY dropping his appeal and taking the suspension. I honestly thought he was whiny enough to try to take it to the Supreme Court. The NFLPA may still take their part of the suit to the Supreme Court but for all intents and purposes the circus is over :P

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
NFL preseason snuck up on me.
I thought it started next week.

Pats vs Saints on NFL Network.

It should have started on Sunday other than the asinine field snafu at the HOF game that got it canceled.

Honestly I don't know why the majority of preseason games are Thursday or Saturday anyway, since most NFL regular season games are Sunday. I can understand the final preseason games being Thursday to space it out from the beginning of the season (particualrly the opening Thursday night game) but other than that it seems a bit odd.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
we out here

packers-falcons-aaron-rodgers21.jpg

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It should have started on Sunday other than the asinine field snafu at the HOF game that got it canceled.

Honestly I don't know why the majority of preseason games are Thursday or Saturday anyway, since most NFL regular season games are Sunday. I can understand the final preseason games being Thursday to space it out from the beginning of the season (particualrly the opening Thursday night game) but other than that it seems a bit odd.

Sunday afternoons are too hot in August.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Jets are in mid season form :laugh:

The only two positives I saw was the corner Burress and the WR Anderson.

They need to blow up the TE spot. I despise Sudfeld and Davis. They're both terrible and useless.

Something I never understood about preseason. They always show vanilla offenses and defenses but what's the point? Everybody runs the same plays. The film from last year hasn't changed. And even if you bring in a new coordinator, there's film on his system too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->