Prospect Info: 2015-2016 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Is anyone in the OP not Wild property anymore? I know they let that one CHL kid go, Reid Duke?

I'd remove Haula, Zucker and Kuemper at least, probably Dumba too.

Knight, Bulmer and Bussieres weren't qualified (nor was Scott Sabourin but he never made the OP). Duke and Faith (2014) never got an offer. Draeger was never signed. I think Hoffman and Gustafsson can come off too.

Anas, Vay, Kunin, Duhaime, Chizen and Sokolov added.

This would make the prospects thread more up to date than wild.nhl.com

I no longer have mod powers fyi

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To be clear on Kunin, he didn't look bad, just didn't do anything of note. Very small sample size.

JEE not only had the winner with a nice shot in the shootout, but had an even better shot that rang off the post( clearly beating the goalie) earlier.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Meh, I think this Vesey character is a primetime letdown waiting to happen.

I'd take a shot on him (not that he'd come here). It's just an ELC, so cap hit isn't bad, and he doesn't cost us anything to acquire.

Parise/Staal/Coyle
Vasey/Koivu/Granny
Nino/Haula/Pommer
Zucker/???/Stewart

If he doesn't work out, we could always trade him to Nashville. :naughty:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Okay so I wasn't quite sure where to put this (or whether to try and make it its own thread), but just a few random thoughts I had on our team's drafting/scouting:

First, I wonder what all goes into having a "scouting presence" in different areas of the world, and on the other hand, whether it even matters all that much, given how often players come over from Europe and play USHL/CHL nowadays. But still, not everyone does, and there have to be a lot of "diamonds in the rough" out there who either never get "discovered", or don't get the encouragement to develop into NHLers (or both). I wonder if it's just a cost-benefit analysis thing, where teams like the Wild determine that it's not worth the cost to have a scouting presence in, say, Germany because the likelihood of finding an NHL prospect there is low enough that it's not worth paying for the scouting involved?

A second (related) thought: What keeps NHL teams from having European soccer (and hockey, for that matter) development pipelines? Is it against some rule I'm not aware of, or is it, again, a cost issue? What I mean is, instead of having affiliations with an AHL club, and drafting players from all over the place in the hopes that a handful of them become useful NHLers, why not have like the "Minnesota Wild Hockey Club Association" or something where the top level club sponsors a whole tiered system going all the way down to kids, where the best players can graduate to the next level if they're good enough? Seems like it would help ease a lot of issues teams consistently have with new guys not knowing the system, having to relearn everything everywhere they go, etc. The obvious counterpoint is that Minnesota, Massachusetts, Michigan, and NY (in about that order) would have a massive advantage over, say, Florida and Nashville, just based on sheer numbers, but still, nothing would preclude the NHL draft from still existing (there could still be junior teams in non-NHL markets).

Like I said, just sort of something I was wondering about, since it's worth remembering that even our "modern" version of how players get into the NHL is only really like 50 years old. Things can change, and this would be an interesting one. It seems like it would also help with the whole "growing the game" angle, since if you had this system in every NHL city, it stands to reason that the locals might be more involved and feel like they have more of a stake in the team themselves.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Okay so I wasn't quite sure where to put this (or whether to try and make it its own thread), but just a few random thoughts I had on our team's drafting/scouting:

First, I wonder what all goes into having a "scouting presence" in different areas of the world, and on the other hand, whether it even matters all that much, given how often players come over from Europe and play USHL/CHL nowadays. But still, not everyone does, and there have to be a lot of "diamonds in the rough" out there who either never get "discovered", or don't get the encouragement to develop into NHLers (or both). I wonder if it's just a cost-benefit analysis thing, where teams like the Wild determine that it's not worth the cost to have a scouting presence in, say, Germany because the likelihood of finding an NHL prospect there is low enough that it's not worth paying for the scouting involved?

A second (related) thought: What keeps NHL teams from having European soccer (and hockey, for that matter) development pipelines? Is it against some rule I'm not aware of, or is it, again, a cost issue? What I mean is, instead of having affiliations with an AHL club, and drafting players from all over the place in the hopes that a handful of them become useful NHLers, why not have like the "Minnesota Wild Hockey Club Association" or something where the top level club sponsors a whole tiered system going all the way down to kids, where the best players can graduate to the next level if they're good enough? Seems like it would help ease a lot of issues teams consistently have with new guys not knowing the system, having to relearn everything everywhere they go, etc. The obvious counterpoint is that Minnesota, Massachusetts, Michigan, and NY (in about that order) would have a massive advantage over, say, Florida and Nashville, just based on sheer numbers, but still, nothing would preclude the NHL draft from still existing (there could still be junior teams in non-NHL markets).

Like I said, just sort of something I was wondering about, since it's worth remembering that even our "modern" version of how players get into the NHL is only really like 50 years old. Things can change, and this would be an interesting one. It seems like it would also help with the whole "growing the game" angle, since if you had this system in every NHL city, it stands to reason that the locals might be more involved and feel like they have more of a stake in the team themselves.

Interesting line of thinking.

Teams do have those affiliations: http://www.dsehc.com/

But once you're draft-eligible of course the affiliations don't matter.

It would be a way to help nurture players in certain areas of the country, but Minnesota doesn't really need more of it in most places.

As for the first thing, when you're seeing these 14 year-old kids commit to colleges or pro development leagues, it shows the lengths of scouting in the US, Canada, Sweden, and Finland at least. The exceptional hockey players in other nations (Latvia, Germany, etc) are on the radar pretty early as well. While Leon Draisaitl for example came from hockey royalty in Germany, a legit talent like Tobias Rieder shows up in scouting reports because he scored 113 goals one season as a U16.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed

This is kind of what MONTREAL did back in the Original Six days, and it allowed them to create a monopoly on all the players in their area. (This is just another reason why I believe that Stanley Cup Championships don't really mean anything unless won AFTER the NHL expanded to 21 teams in 1979-1980 season; or at the very least after the NHL doubled to 12 teams in the 1967-1968 season.)

BTW, it is my understanding that this is no longer allowed by the NHL.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
This is kind of what MONTREAL did back in the Original Six days, and it allowed them to create a monopoly on all the players in their area. (This is just another reason why I believe that Stanley Cup Championships don't really mean anything unless won AFTER the NHL expanded to 21 teams in 1979-1980 season; or at the very least after the NHL doubled to 12 teams in the 1967-1968 season.)

BTW, it is my understanding that this is no longer allowed by the NHL.

Interesting. I could see it as a reason they instituted a draft in the first place, but still...

Wabit

May 23, 2016
MLB does something like this with their camps/academies in some Latin countries. Their draft rules are different and the kids can sign as FA's where ever they want.

I don't think there are many under scouted hockey area's left. The Euro countries are pretty well covered, Russia is covered with the KHL. I guess they could focus on: India, China (does have a KHL at least), the Mideast, Africa, and Australia, but those aren't exactly hockey hotbeds.

As for "local" talent scouting. I think the other teams have caught up to the Wild in the MN/WI areas. Teams all pay people to give them leads on good players. The interwebs helps a lot in at least initial scouting, kids will make their own highlight reels and post them on Youtube.

Eastwood's "Trouble with the Curve" movie gives a glimpse into baseball scouting, it is at least somewhat relate-able to hockey scouting (the advanced stats are so much better in baseball).

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Slow days... there's a rumor that Bouramman might head to Sweden this season and play for Luleå. Can't blame him, and he's more likely to be a good Euro pro than an NHLer but the roster spot he would take is most likely the one tenuously held by Pontus Själin.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Slow days... there's a rumor that Bouramman might head to Sweden this season and play for Luleå. Can't blame him, and he's more likely to be a good Euro pro than an NHLer but the roster spot he would take is most likely the one tenuously held by Pontus Själin.

Was he going to be playing for Iowa this year, or would he be back in juniors another season?

If he was going to be back in juniors, I'd have mixed feelings about this. The SEL would probably be better for his development than the OHL would be, but I'd really hope that he still wishes to become an NHL hockey player once he's ready. As for Själin, that sucks, but he needs to win his spots. Healthy competition is how NHLers are forged.

If he would be in Iowa, I'd prefer to see him stay on the NA side of the pond.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Was he going to be playing for Iowa this year, or would he be back in juniors another season?

If he was going to be back in juniors, I'd have mixed feelings about this. The SEL would probably be better for his development than the OHL would be, but I'd really hope that he still wishes to become an NHL hockey player once he's ready. As for Själin, that sucks, but he needs to win his spots. Healthy competition is how NHLers are forged.

If he would be in Iowa, I'd prefer to see him stay on the NA side of the pond.

He hasn't signed his ELC yet, so he wouldn't be going to Iowa. If he had signed his ELC, he's likely ineligible for Iowa, unless he fits the exception Julius Honka exploited to get into the AHL before 20. Which is certainly possible given that he's going back to Sweden.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
He hasn't signed his ELC yet, so he wouldn't be going to Iowa. If he had signed his ELC, he's likely ineligible for Iowa, unless he fits the exception Julius Honka exploited to get into the AHL before 20. Which is certainly possible given that he's going back to Sweden.

The Honka thing was a rarity (they successfully argued that he was on loan) and we're not likely to see it again. (I'd personally argue for a first-round exception to the CHL-AHL deal.)

This article fills in a few more details about the Bouramman situation: http://www.saultstar.com/2016/08/17/bouramman-hopes-to-represent-country

I think even if he could play in Iowa, he would more likely be in Quad City given the depth.

If he goes to Sweden yes he's looking at better competition, a salary, and other benefits of the pro lifestyle. But also ten less minutes a night of icetime - if things go well.

I imagine Brad Bombardir's advice is to stay in the Soo. He should earn his WJC berth regardless.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Every time I have watched Bouramman i have come away impressed. He can carry the puck and has poise in the offensive zone. I hope he can continue to grow his game. Not sure how beneficial a move to Europe would be, but I can understand the reasoning. I want to see him signed by next year though, he is a good one.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The Honka thing was a rarity (they successfully argued that he was on loan) and we're not likely to see it again. (I'd personally argue for a first-round exception to the CHL-AHL deal.)

This article fills in a few more details about the Bouramman situation: http://www.saultstar.com/2016/08/17/bouramman-hopes-to-represent-country

I think even if he could play in Iowa, he would more likely be in Quad City given the depth.

If he goes to Sweden yes he's looking at better competition, a salary, and other benefits of the pro lifestyle. But also ten less minutes a night of icetime - if things go well.

I imagine Brad Bombardir's advice is to stay in the Soo. He should earn his WJC berth regardless.

Honka was a rarity thus far, but I bet we see it again. Once the precedent is set, you can't un-ring that bell. But given that the article says Bouramman was offered a contract, it's clear he doesn't fit the same situation Honka did.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
probably 80% chance vesey stays in boston , i think he just enjoys the "everybody wants me high" spotlight. his decision cant be that difficult.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I'm in this camp. The kid is talented, no doubt, but I feel like the hype machine gets bigger and bigger every day he waits to make a decision.
It's a tall order.

College players have to jump over the AHL to be successful in the NHL. That's a such a big jump that needs to be handled in a very short amount of time. NCAA is more challenging than junior, but junior players get 2 years in the AHL before they are 22, allowing them a great opportunity to "catch up and surpass" players who stay in the NCAA for 3-4 years. Often, college players have good initial success, but hit a wall as the grind and no-mistakes part of the professional game takes a hold as the season goes on.

It seems like the most successful NCAA players spend 2-3 years in college (often before their draft year), and then get to the AHL by the time they are 21.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think our pool is quite underrated. We have a lot of guys who will be knocking on the door in the next couple years. Kunin, Tuch, JEE, Kaprizov, Greenway all seem capable of middle 6 minutes eventually. It'd be nice if one of them could make a big jump but we can't be sure.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would like to think that also, but I was high on Lucia, Graovac, and Olofsson in the past. At this point it's possible NONE of them ever makes it. The jump to the AHL alone can be tough...it is a very underestimated league, IMO.

Bottom line is that I need to see those prospects dominate at their present level before I get too excited. Tuch had an average year. JEE wasn't close to dominant in Sweden. Kunin was very good at college, but nothing jaw dropping. And the NCAA is two levels below the NHL. The steam on Greenway has been due to the recent junior Tourney, where he showed well. Before that he was a longshot. Kaprisov? Who knows?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I would like to think that also, but I was high on Lucia, Graovac, and Olofsson in the past. At this point it's possible NONE of them ever makes it. The jump to the AHL alone can be tough...it is a very underestimated league, IMO.

Bottom line is that I need to see those prospects dominate at their present level before I get too excited. Tuch had an average year. JEE wasn't close to dominant in Sweden. Kunin was very good at college, but nothing jaw dropping. And the NCAA is two levels below the NHL. The steam on Greenway has been due to the recent junior Tourney, where he showed well. Before that he was a longshot. Kaprisov? Who knows?

The Greenway hype train has been picking up steam the entire 2nd half of the last season. After starting extremely slow his first 13 games (only 2 points) He was a point per game player the rest of the season, and very dominant at times.

And i'm not sure you could describe Kunin's point per game season as a draft eligable player on a terrible team anything but dominant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad