2015-2016 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
2 goals today in a pre-season game against Rögle, don't know if he had any assist but his line was in on 5 out of 6 goals.

2 goals 1 assist.

Daniel Audette 3 assists.

Lehkonen off to a good start. If he remains healthy, I think he'll turn everyone's opinions around that he is a viable NHL prospect. Weight/strength is my only concern for him. He's about as natural a goal scorer we have in our system.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
2 goals 1 assist.

Daniel Audette 3 assists.

Lehkonen off to a good start. If he remains healthy, I think he'll turn everyone's opinions around that he is a viable NHL prospect. Weight/strength is my only concern for him. He's about as natural a goal scorer we have in our system.

Im not worried he aint that small, hell hes already bigger than Patrick Kane.

NewHabsEra*

I doubt he would have been on the squad this year even had he been eligible. The Russian federation seems to want no part of him for whatever reason.

Well I think he didnt help his case last year in the subway serie, was out of balance and falling on the ice too much but they would have been stupid to left him out the team again this year if he was still eligible..

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Didn't get to see any of today's Champions league games. Reway with 2 points, Nattinen with 2 points. no prospects play tomorrow. Next game will be the 27th, Vejdemo, then on the 28th, Reway, Lehkonen, Nygren and Nattinen all play.

so far,

Reway- 2- 0-2-2 -1
Lehkonen- 1- 1-1-2 +1
Nattinen- 1- 1-1-2 +1
Nygren- 1 0-0-0 -3
Vejdemo- 1 0-0-0 -1

Im not worried he aint that small, hell hes already bigger than Patrick Kane.

I should get to see a lot of him this year, but last year I would say he looked so skinny and he is easily pushed off the puck. I'm not so concerned with height as some posters are but I put a lot of stock into lower body strength and he needs a lot of work there going off all the games I saw last year.

Well I think he didnt help his case last year in the subway serie, was out of balance and falling on the ice too much but they would have been stupid to left him out the team again this year if he was still eligible..

If Scherbak was born 2 days later he would be eligible for the WJC's (and would be back in the WHL unless he made the NHL).

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

I really hope he does. Lehkonen is surely one of the prospects that I have absolutely no expectations about. He,d be a good AHL player and I'd be pleased. Everytime I saw him, he never showed my he could take charge of a situation. And while teams do need complementary players, he also didn't show me he had the extra qualities to be a fine complementary player in the higher league. So frankly, he ONLY can improve for me. He's not making it....I'm expecting it. He is improving and shows he can hold his own even just in the AHL.....I'm starting to be a fan.

Waiting now for Grant to blast me and tell me how bad I am.....:D

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I really hope he does. Lehkonen is surely one of the prospects that I have absolutely no expectations about. He,d be a good AHL player and I'd be pleased. Everytime I saw him, he never showed my he could take charge of a situation. And while teams do not complementary players, he also didn't show me he had the extra qualities to be a fine complementary player in the higher league. So frankly, he ONLY can improve for me. He's not making it....I'm expecting it. He is improving and shows he can hold his own even just in the AHL.....I'm starting to be a fan.

For what it's worth, I liked what I saw of him in last Thursday's champion league game ( I caught the first period on a stream). He's noticeably bulkier than last year, which will help him a lot since his offense comes mainly from close quarters around the net. I don't know if he'll ever be a ''take charge'' type , his niche isn't really as a puck carrier or a play maker. He's got deceptive talent tough, I've seen him make some nifty little feeds and dekes. I still stand by my Finnish Gallagher comparison I always make about him, he's got a good motor and a real nose for the net from the offensive blue line up.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I really hope he does. Lehkonen is surely one of the prospects that I have absolutely no expectations about. He,d be a good AHL player and I'd be pleased. Everytime I saw him, he never showed my he could take charge of a situation. And while teams do need complementary players, he also didn't show me he had the extra qualities to be a fine complementary player in the higher league. So frankly, he ONLY can improve for me. He's not making it....I'm expecting it. He is improving and shows he can hold his own even just in the AHL.....I'm starting to be a fan.

I saw a lot of him last year and while it was a tale of two different players (he looked impressive early on, then he looked invisible mid-season, then looked better at the end) I've seen enough to think that if he can overcome his lack of mass/strength he could be something for us as he plays a no fear game and is skilled plus he works hard at both ends. Now what happened last year when he went into the major slump and was trying to recover from mono, I guess we'll just have to see how it goes for him this year although at least for management they don't have to sign him for 2 more years. his contract in Frolunda is up at the end of the season, but if things go well he could always re-sign with them and just come over the following year or if need be the Habs could just sign him for the 2017-2018 season and leave him in the SHL even though it would count against the 50 contract limit.

My concern is that from last year, he was so skinny and the lack of lower body strength made it easy to push him off the puck but what I liked was how he would go to the dirty areas and take the punishment but never back down. On top of improving his lower body strength and mass, I'd also like to see him get quicker as I think smaller players should really have that extra gear. Either way it's going to be an interesting season to see how he rebounds, I should get to see a lot of him again hopefully.

420Goosaens

Jul 27, 2015
Really appreciate everybody posting these updates, love it!! Reway made a nice feed from the point, on the power play I believe, for one of his assists last game. Nice heads up play. Was my first time watching him outside the World Juniors... Didn't look like his best game but he had a couple nice flashes.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yes he playing. Only seen the end of the 1st but he was on the ice in the final minutes:handclap:

has been a better game from him as he looks more sure of himself. Has been a good game to watch though. Just glad to see him getting a regular shift in a tie game in the 3rd.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
he doesn't play special teams but he got a regular shift at least in the 2nd and 3rd as I missed most of the 1st. a big win for Djurgarden as well since they lost the opener.

oh is it regular season now for them?

I saw him on the bench. yeah i watched with about 5 mins left on the clock.

well i hope he can stick with the big club and stand out.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
His minutes got scarce later in the game, which is common practice for a rookie in the SHL. Still, he got a regular spot for a while, it's a good sign.

Yeah in the 3rd after the 5 minute point didn't see him play again. That is when both teams got into penalty problems and since he doesn't play the PP or PK his butt was planted.

I think he played a better game today...at least what I seen in the 2nd.

Positive
- has a real good stick. Stole the puck 2 times in the offensive zone.
-2nd game in a row I seen him drive hard to the net. Today after stealing the puck walk in on the goalie before getting smoked by the D and got driven into the post. I will give him credit, he bounced back up.
-seem like he played with more confidence.

Cons
-his defensive game needs work but nothing to worry about at this point. He is a rookie and the coach protects him. I only seen him on the ice for 1 defensive draw.
-it was Vejdemo man that got away on the 2nd goal. He let him skate around the net for a wrap around goal.

I think as he gets more experience his game will grow. Overall after 2 games I am happy with what I did see :handclap:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
oh is it regular season now for them?

I saw him on the bench. yeah i watched with about 5 mins left on the clock.

well i hope he can stick with the big club and stand out.

no this is the Champions league tournament, they play games in between the regular season. Some Euro leagues will be starting up in a week or two though I believe but would have to look it up.

Yeah in the 3rd after the 5 minute point didn't see him play again. That is when both teams got into penalty problems and since he doesn't play the PP or PK his butt was planted.

I think he played a better game today...at least what I seen in the 2nd.

Positive
- has a real good stick. Stole the puck 2 times in the offensive zone.
-2nd game in a row I seen him drive hard to the net. Today after stealing the puck walk in on the goalie before getting smoked by the D and got driven into the post. I will give him credit, he bounced back up.
-seem like he played with more confidence.

Cons
-his defensive game needs work but nothing to worry about at this point. He is a rookie and the coach protects him. I only seen him on the ice for 1 defensive draw.
-it was Vejdemo man that got away on the 2nd goal. He let him skate around the net for a wrap around goal.

I think as he gets more experience his game will grow. Overall after 2 games I am happy with what I did see :handclap:

I noticed his physical game isn't very effective, but he's got the tools in skating/speed/frame.

Do you guys think he'll play in the SHL all year?

I asked after the draft on the Swedish board and they seemed to think he has a shot but might be hard pressed to make it. They thought he might end up in their minors, but should see more then the few games he saw last year in the SHL. Guess we'll see how the rest of the preseason goes for him.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
I asked after the draft on the Swedish board and they seemed to think he has a shot but might be hard pressed to make it. They thought he might end up in their minors, but should see more then the few games he saw last year in the SHL. Guess we'll see how the rest of the preseason goes for him.

How good of a team is Djurgårdens in the SHL...are they considered a top team?

I noticed his physical game isn't very effective, but he's got the tools in skating/speed/frame.

Agree. He is on the skinny side but as he gets older and stronger he will win more puck battles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Vejdemo being loaned to an Allsvenskan team wouldn't be the end of the world if it meant he were a contributing factor on the PP.

Still would like to see him stick around the SHL though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad