2015-2016 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Don't know where these "huge longshot" and "near impossible" comments about Juulsen making Canada emanate from...

I've been told that Hockey Canada really likes Juulsen...bear in mind that the head scout used to be with the Habs...so the org. would likely know if Juulsen was on the radar or not.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Looks like Sanheim, Hicketts and Chabot can play on the right. Mckeown has been average at best so far. Juulsen has been solid, though he has taken a few chances pinching, they're honest mistakes, not stupid ones. I'm sure the coaching staff will love his ability to jump into the play. Roy was very quiet in his first game, but I thought he was better yesterday. He seems rusty to say the least, he's also probably one of the slowest Dmen at the camp. Carrier had a good first game, nothing fancy but good plays all over on the defensive side. As far as I go, Juulsen is in the heat of the competition, and it's far from being homerish to label him as a possibility to make that team.

Right now here's what would be my lineup

Beauvillier - Barzal - Point
Dal Colle- Marner - Fabbri
Crouse - Strome - Virtanen
Konecny - Quenneville - Aubé-Kubel
Gauthier - Ho-Sang

HM: Watson, Hawryluk and Bleackley

Sanheim - Hicketts
Fleury - Chabot
Dermott - Juulsen
Leblanc - Roy

HM: Carrier and Hickey

Mason Macdonald
Samuel Montembault

Blackwood played better than Montembault, but Montembault is capable of much better. I've witnessed it live numerous times against my Phoenix.

Dec 2, 2010
Some Q bias ;) I think Bleackley should be in for NAK and Hickey for Chabot. Watson will probably make it over Ho-Sang but I wouldn't agree with it. Blackwood > Montembeault.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I really don't know. It's early. The ones you listed + Hicketts. I never liked McK personally but he's got some history. JRoy could be ahead. Vande Sompel could be ahead for his versatility at F & D. Don't count out Brandon Hickey from BU. Really too early to get a handle on the squad. I think if everyone is healthy and stays a similar path, he'd be outside the 6D.

after the tournament it seems like it's safe to say Juulsen increased his chances of making the team. I wasn't impressed with Roy in the past and I saw a number of posters on the international tournaments board were saying he had a bad showing and have concerns over his skating. Will be interesting to see what kind of season the two have since they will likely be fighting for the same spot, how they do at the remax games or whatever they are calling that tournament these days, and of course the winter camp.

Would totally suck if no Habs are at the WJC's, but I'm liking Juulsen's chances much more and hopefully Vejdemo makes it as it sounds like he had a good camp as well.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I still think the four 19 year old dmen ( Sandheim,Hicketts,Fleury and McKeown) are essentially locks, unless they play themselves out of a spot in a big way during the season. That leaves 3 spots open, with Dermott in the lead for one of them. Juulsen, from his performance at the showcase at least, is in very good position for the remaining two.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Looks like Sanheim, Hicketts and Chabot can play on the right. Mckeown has been average at best so far. Juulsen has been solid, though he has taken a few chances pinching, they're honest mistakes, not stupid ones. I'm sure the coaching staff will love his ability to jump into the play. Roy was very quiet in his first game, but I thought he was better yesterday. He seems rusty to say the least, he's also probably one of the slowest Dmen at the camp. Carrier had a good first game, nothing fancy but good plays all over on the defensive side. As far as I go, Juulsen is in the heat of the competition, and it's far from being homerish to label him as a possibility to make that team.

Right now here's what would be my lineup

Beauvillier - Barzal - Point
Dal Colle- Marner - Fabbri
Crouse - Strome - Virtanen
Konecny - Quenneville - Aubé-Kubel
Gauthier - Ho-Sang

HM: Watson, Hawryluk and Bleackley

Sanheim - Hicketts
Fleury - Chabot
Dermott - Juulsen
Leblanc - Roy

HM: Carrier and Hickey

Mason Macdonald
Samuel Montembault

Blackwood played better than Montembault, but Montembault is capable of much better. I've witnessed it live numerous times against my Phoenix.

"Quebec Pride" goes heavy on Q prospects...shocking!! ;) There may not be any Q dmen on this team, let alone three. Beauvillier on the first line is a pipedream...he's in the running for the sixth line at this point given his play so far...there's no chance he's in the running for the 1st line LW spot while Konecny is the 4th LW.

You honestly feel that there isn't a single Q prospect in the camp that won't be at the very least an honourable mention for the team....the next guy selected if there are injuries? Did you consider that before doing this list? Could you truly think that the only players who won't be in the running for positions will be from the WHL and the OHL? You do know that the head coach is in the WHL....

Why would two top four picks from this draft be slotted behind the 16th pick at center? You think Canada would ice a top line with two 5-9 wingers and a 5-10 center..none of them top 15 picks?

Even your goalie choices.. Only a Q goalie is capable of performing better when he's underachieved? You DO know that Blackwood was picked ahead of Monty in the draft I hope...what exactly makes him have more potential then?

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
From what I saw, I think Blackwood is more or less a lock due to both his performance and overall pedigree. Both Montembault and Macdonald should have a good chance at the second spot, although I did feel Montembault looked a bit too excited at times.

I don't love Roy and LeBlanc at this point. Chabot looked fine. McKeown didn't look good but I expect him to be given a chance due to his age/pedigree. Dermott excelled, and Juulsen did well. I think Juulsen should be a good candidate for the #6 or #7 positions. I'm not huge on Carrier and Hickey but I know less about them than the others. The rest I didn't mention I expect to make the team/played well anyway.

In regards to forwards, I didn't like Ho-Sang's approach at all. I agree with what Grant has said. Beauvillier probably won't make it. I don't think Quenneville or Aubé-Kubel will either. Watson probably raised his stock a bit. I like Bleackley a lot.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
"Quebec Pride" goes heavy on Q prospects...shocking!! ;) There may not be any Q dmen on this team, let alone three. Beauvillier on the first line is a pipedream...he's in the running for the sixth line at this point given his play so far...there's no chance he's in the running for the 1st line LW spot while Konecny is the 4th LW.

You honestly feel that there isn't a single Q prospect in the camp that won't be at the very least an honourable mention for the team....the next guy selected if there are injuries? Did you consider that before doing this list? Could you truly think that the only players who won't be in the running for positions will be from the WHL and the OHL? You do know that the head coach is in the WHL....

Why would two top four picks from this draft be slotted behind the 16th pick at center? You think Canada would ice a top line with two 5-9 wingers and a 5-10 center..none of them top 15 picks?

Even your goalie choices.. Only a Q goalie is capable of performing better when he's underachieved? You DO know that Blackwood was picked ahead of Monty in the draft I hope...what exactly makes him have more potential then?

It's just one man's opinion. As far as I know, the team isn't made based on the rank the players went in the draft. If it was the case, Hicketts, Gallagher, Pearson and Freddie Hamilton amongst others would never have made Team Canada. Beauvillier and Barzal have tremendous chemistry, hence why I placed them together. True that Anthony was shy, but the more you watch and the more you get to like him. By the way, few players who were at the camp this week actually outscored him last year.

And yes, I do think Canada would ice a line with two 5'10 wingers if they are the two best wingers.

Point, Fabbri and Konecny were the three best wingers at the camp to me. If they do happen to be the best wingers available at the December camp, then so be it.

Those are the players at this point in time that I'd take. OBVIOUSLY it's biased, as any lineup out there you'll see will be. I am not ashamed to admit that. You just said it yourself Grant, 'Are you aware that the Head coach is from the WHL?';)

Do I expect to see this lineup? For the most part, yes.

Filling spots on the 4th line will always go to players who the coaching staff loves. Lowry said he wants speed, and that's how I built my lineup.

Now let's see yours!

Yea the 3 Q boys have been fairly disappointing.

The coaching staff seems to love Roy, though from the way he played I don't understand it. He was far from at his best and seemed the slowest D for Canada this week. That being said, he had his best game yesterday, quiet yet effective.

I think Leblanc caught the eye of Hockey Canada's brass yesterday, not necessarily with his goal but with his physicality.

I did not see Chabot's first game, but nothing to write home about yesterday, no doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Does anyone have any updates on Lukas Vejdemo . I am wondering how he did at the lake placid development camp.

A mystery that will remain a mystery.

Kidding aside, I never had an answer. There are controversial reports that he was promoted on the 2nd line as the tournament went on but it's also been said he was the 13th forward.

Well, on the scoresheet, I think he had only 1 assist?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Lehkonen with an assist in the first preseason game, he faced fellow Hab prospect Magnus Nygren. While Nygren was held pointless, at least he played in a game, his first since November I believe.

Also I'll post this for any that want to follow the Champions Hockey tournament, it starts in 12 days.

https://www.championshockeyleague.net/page/schedule/8/us/

Lehkonen (Frölunda), Reway (Sparta Praha), Nygren (Färjestad), Nattinen (JYP), plus Vejdemo (Djurgårdens ) could be there depending on how he does in preseason.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Kidding aside, I never had an answer. There are controversial reports that he was promoted on the 2nd line as the tournament went on but it's also been said he was the 13th forward.

We never had any more comments from Grant about it. Last report from a journalist was that he finished as the 13th forward. Remains to be seen how right that journalist is.....but no news from Grant since his report...

Dec 2, 2010
A quick search on Twitter shows Vejdemo saw more ice time when they ran up the score, but otherwise featured very little. In that short time, he had an assist.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011

haha very good. I really do love mystery:nod:
Well I guess he didn't do anything good or bad. I wonder if the habs though of bringing him here to play in the CHL. It won't help him much playing 4th line minutes in Sweden.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Lehkonen with an assist in the first preseason game, he faced fellow Hab prospect Magnus Nygren. While Nygren was held pointless, at least he played in a game, his first since November I believe.

Also I'll post this for any that want to follow the Champions Hockey tournament, it starts in 12 days.

https://www.championshockeyleague.net/page/schedule/8/us/

Lehkonen (Frölunda), Reway (Sparta Praha), Nygren (Färjestad), Nattinen (JYP), plus Vejdemo (Djurgårdens ) could be there depending on how he does in preseason.

Highlights here, some nice things from Lekhonen first few minutes: http://www.msn.com/sv-se/video/sport/fr%C3%B6lunda-f%C3%A4rjestad-sammandrag-och-h%C3%B6jdpunkter/vi-BBlBBxd?ocid=mailsignoutmd

Lekhonen looks bigger and stronger after the summer.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Highlights here, some nice things from Lekhonen first few minutes: http://www.msn.com/sv-se/video/sport/fr%C3%B6lunda-f%C3%A4rjestad-sammandrag-och-h%C3%B6jdpunkter/vi-BBlBBxd?ocid=mailsignoutmd

Lekhonen looks bigger and stronger after the summer.

Thanks for the clip, Lekhonen does look heavier and that's great to see. Was surprised to see Nygren wearing the C, but still good to see him finally on the ice again. Looking forward to watching a lot of SHL games (Frolunda/Färjestad and maybe Djurgårdens)

he does look a bit more solid. beauty pass on his assist. hope he has a really good year. no need to write him off yet but I still think he has a lot of depth to surpass.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
My ad blocker here must suck because I tried watching on the site Noble27 linked and the whole screen is cluttered with unmovable pop-ups :help: I can hear the game and kinda see on the corners but that's about it.

you didn't miss too much, he didn't get any PP time and didn't see him on the ice in the 3rd. Just tuned into watch the end of Nygren's game.

Lehkonen's team smoked the Sheffield Steelers 9-1. He had 1g 1a 4 shots on goal, +1

Reway's team won 3-2. 0 pts 0 shots, even on the day.

Vejdemo's team lost 4-2. 0 pts 0 shots, -1.

Nygren's team down 3-0, he's a -2 with 2 shots on goal.

http://cricfree.sx/watch/live/farjestad-bk-vs-hc-davos-live-streaming

3rd period starts in a few minutes, he's #32 green

Last edited:

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
My ad blocker here must suck because I tried watching on the site Noble27 linked and the whole screen is cluttered with unmovable pop-ups :help: I can hear the game and kinda see on the corners but that's about it.

Sorry to hear that, I use chrome with add blocker and don't have any problems.

you didn't miss too much, he didn't get any PP time and didn't see him on the ice in the 3rd. Just tuned into watch the end of Nygren's game.

Lehkonen's team smoked the Sheffield Steelers 9-1. He had 1g 1a 4 shots on goal, +1

Reway's team won 3-2. 0 pts 0 shots, even on the day.

Vejdemo's team lost 4-2. 0 pts 0 shots, -1.

Nygren's team down 3-0, he's a -2 with 2 shots on goal.

http://cricfree.sx/watch/live/farjestad-bk-vs-hc-davos-live-streaming

3rd period starts in a few minutes, he's #32 green

Didn't see the others play because watch whole game of Vejdemo.
Vejdemo looked like a rookie, couple of give aways in the first on his blue line. When he was in the offensive zone he looked more comfortable and tried making some plays.
Like you said it was a chippy game that even had a fight. With so many PP in the 2nd Vejdemo didn't see the ice until 8 or 9 minutes left in the 2nd. I believe he had 3-4 shifts in the 2nd and only seen him 1 time in the 3rd. Unfortunately he was on the ice for the 4th goal.

Well I happy I finally got to see him. Hopefully his confidence grows and he gets more playing time.
It's only one game and there is no way I am drawing a conclusion on him at this point.:handclap:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Didn't see the others play because watch whole game of Vejdemo.
Vejdemo looked like a rookie, couple of give aways in the first on his blue line. When he was in the offensive zone he looked more comfortable and tried making some plays.
Like you said it was a chippy game that even had a fight. With so many PP in the 2nd Vejdemo didn't see the ice until 8 or 9 minutes left in the 2nd. I believe he had 3-4 shifts in the 2nd and only seen him 1 time in the 3rd. Unfortunately he was on the ice for the 4th goal.

Well I happy I finally got to see him. Hopefully his confidence grows and he gets more playing time.
It's only one game and there is no way I am drawing a conclusion on him at this point.:handclap:

I just hope that he will continue to get a look again on the 27th as I know he's said to be on the bubble to make the roster. I'm really hoping he makes the team since SHL games are often webcast for free so I would get to see a lot of him if so.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Does anyone know if Scherbak is eligible for the next junior championship? Cause in this article, the writer suggest that he might be part of the next WJC..

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...p-top-20-montreal-canadiens-prospects-list/2/

He's not.

the player has his 20th birthday in the year of the tournament's ending (i.e. 1994 for 2014 tournament), and at latest, the fifth year after the tournament's ending (i.e. 1999 for 2014 tournament);

Since this year's tournament will be 2016, the cutoff is 1996 borns.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I doubt he would have been on the squad this year even had he been eligible. The Russian federation seems to want no part of him for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad