2015-2016 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
His ELC ended, we own his NHL rights till June 2017. Since he burned his ELC, if we sign him he wouldn't be bound by the ELC rules so they could pay him whatever they wanted in the AHL just that they may not want to give him too much after the way things went down although that's nothing but a guess.

Thanks. Was hoping he didn't need to clear waivers if they sent him down but I guess now he would.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Thanks. Was hoping he didn't need to clear waivers if they sent him down but I guess now he would.

he wouldn't need to clear waivers for one year if he was signed while we still held his rights. I often see posters confuse ELC's with waivers, and when it's CHLers they often run out of waiver eligibility after their 3 year contract is up. Where the confusion comes into play is usually the NCAA and Euro prospects as they sign ELC's but are often older then your usual 20 year old CHLer, so because they are older they sign shorter ELC's then the 3 year deal that most CHLers get but for the first year of their new contract they usually don't have to clear waivers even though they are no longer on an ELC.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
he wouldn't need to clear waivers for one year if he was signed while we still held his rights. I often see posters confuse ELC's with waivers, and when it's CHLers they often run out of waiver eligibility after their 3 year contract is up. Where the confusion comes into play is usually the NCAA and Euro prospects as they sign ELC's but are often older then your usual 20 year old CHLer, so because they are older they sign shorter ELC's then the 3 year deal that most CHLers get but for the first year of their new contract they usually don't have to clear waivers even though they are no longer on an ELC.

For me it is confusing so I usual just make a guess. Somethings I know but like you said I start confusing all the different situations with different players from different leagues.

Never thought I could use different 3 times in one sentence :laugh:

Good to know :clap:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I wonder how much young prospect are making overseas?

I can see veterans making some good coin but young players I don't know.

A lot of games I watch in the SHL I would say the arenas are half full and would suspect only a few clubs with deep pockets.

Is there a website that post there salaries?

Like you said if money is the issue I am sure they could find a way to give them more if they want them here in N/A.

NLA (Swiss League) is a paradise for ice hockey players. Lets take Auston Matthwes. There was rumor, his contract in this league is worth 500 000 USD (or €). Sure, Reway is a level bellow him, but imo, next season he could have at leats 200 000 € in the pocket.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
i have little hope for Reway, hes too 1 dimensional to succeed in the NHL. Lehkonen on the other hand..

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Some news on Hayden Hawkey. Even though he is not playing much, his coach says he made huge progress this year coming back from a serious injury. A future All-American.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=799675&navid=DL|MTL|home

Good read, thanks :handclap:

Sounds like Hayden worked his butt off just to get back to playing again after the injury. Good for him.

The coach Nate Leaman is a very positive guy, I really like that. I wish we had coaches that could build confidence instead of doing the easy thing and tearing players down.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Some news on Hayden Hawkey. Even though he is not playing much, his coach says he made huge progress this year coming back from a serious injury. A future All-American.

thanks for the link, the problem from talking to some providence fans is that their coach is known for riding one goalie and with them being ranked so high (they got 1 vote this week for 1st overall in the NCAA, kind of shocking since they haven't been that good in the HE conference this year) and when you add to the fact that the starter is a Junior it could mean Hawkey doesn't get a lot of action this year and next. Granted things can change quickly if there's an injury and Hawkey were to go on a hot streak, or Ellis just starts playing badly, just that you hate to see a young kid not playing much (though not that young since he was drafted as an overager and turns 21 in a few weeks.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
thanks for the link, the problem from talking to some providence fans is that their coach is known for riding one goalie and with them being ranked so high (they got 1 vote this week for 1st overall in the NCAA, kind of shocking since they haven't been that good in the HE conference this year) and when you add to the fact that the starter is a Junior it could mean Hawkey doesn't get a lot of action this year and next. Granted things can change quickly if there's an injury and Hawkey were to go on a hot streak, or Ellis just starts playing badly, just that you hate to see a young kid not playing much (though not that young since he was drafted as an overager and turns 21 in a few weeks.

I went to a couple of his games early in the year. He looked solid, but Colgate isn't very good competition this year. His previous stats are good, but it's really hard to know anything about him when he's only played 18 games since he was drafted.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011

That is normal in any league. Most teams have a #1 and you go with him.

Condon didn't play much for Princeton until his final year and went on to have a good season with Hamilton.

In the article it sounds like the coach is saying Hawkey is battling hard and could maybe win the starting job.
“Hayden’s practices are his games right now. He’s approached it the right way. He’s gotten so much better from the beginning of the year to where he is now that I actually think he’s competing for the job,†admitted Leaman,

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That is normal in any league. Most teams have a #1 and you go with him.

Condon didn't play much for Princeton until his final year and went on to have a good season with Hamilton.

In the article it sounds like the coach is saying Hawkey is battling hard and could maybe win the starting job.
“Hayden’s practices are his games right now. He’s approached it the right way. He’s gotten so much better from the beginning of the year to where he is now that I actually think he’s competing for the job,” admitted Leaman,

it's normal to ride a goalie but the Providence coach just plays one goalie. Hawkey has played 1 game and 1 1/2 periods so far. Last year the backup Ellis who is now the starter played in just over 3 games all season (reg/playoffs/Frozen Four) while the starter Gillies played over 2300 minutes.

Providence has 10 games left before the playoffs so he hopefully gets more time but the problem is all the remaining games are against conference teams and they are currently tied for 4th in the HE, 6 pts back of 1st. The good news is that aside from the 2 games vs Notre Dame, the rest are against teams below them in the HE standings.

Here's Condon's ice time vs the starter at Princeton,

Senior year- Condon 1354 mins, backup 518 mins
Junior- Condon 832, starter 1096
Soph- Condon 660, starter 899, 3rd goalie 356
Fresh- Condon 123, starter 1299, backup goalie 441

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
it's normal to ride a goalie but the Providence coach just plays one goalie. Hawkey has played 1 game and 1 1/2 periods so far. Last year the backup Ellis who is now the starter played in just over 3 games all season (reg/playoffs/Frozen Four) while the starter Gillies played over 2300 minutes.

Providence has 10 games left before the playoffs so he hopefully gets more time but the problem is all the remaining games are against conference teams and they are currently tied for 4th in the HE, 6 pts back of 1st. The good news is that aside from the 2 games vs Notre Dame, the rest are against teams below them in the HE standings.

Here's Condon's ice time vs the starter at Princeton,

Senior year- Condon 1354 mins, backup 518 mins
Junior- Condon 832, starter 1096
Soph- Condon 660, starter 899, 3rd goalie 356
Fresh- Condon 123, starter 1299, backup goalie 441

This is great than. When Hawkey becomes the starter, maybe as soon as next year he will play all the time.
The coach is very positive about all that Hawkey has done just to get himself setup to challenge for the starting job.

I take what was said as very positive.

First year-Condon 123 minutes vs Hawkey 91:40 minutes. One more start and all things will be pretty much equal between the 2 goalies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nygren with just under 29 minutes today, his 3rd highest ice time this season and he had 4 shots on goal. No pts for any of the 3 SHL prospects today, watched some of Vejdemo, was a good game but he didn't do much.

This is great than. When Hawkey becomes the starter, maybe as soon as next year he will play all the time.
The coach is very positive about all that Hawkey has done just to get himself setup to challenge for the starting job.

I take what was said as very positive.

First year-Condon 123 minutes vs Hawkey 91:40 minutes. One more start and all things will be pretty much equal between the 2 goalies.

but Condon was the 3rd goalie while Hawkey is the backup. The two backups got 564 mins that year. Now we don't know how much time Hawkey might still get this year but unless an injury happens it's likely to be way below what you might often see from a backup. As for next year, Ellis unless he leaves school to turn pro, would be a Senior next year so Hawkey would be in tough to steal the job. Of course what the coach said was positive, since it's not like he's going to say anything bad. It's what coaches/management do that matters though, not what they say to the media.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Nygren with just under 29 minutes today, his 3rd highest ice time this season and he had 4 shots on goal. No pts for any of the 3 SHL prospects today, watched some of Vejdemo, was a good game but he didn't do much.

but Condon was the 3rd goalie while Hawkey is the backup. The two backups got 564 mins that year. Now we don't know how much time Hawkey might still get this year but unless an injury happens it's likely to be way below what you might often see from a backup. As for next year, Ellis unless he leaves school to turn pro, would be a Senior next year so Hawkey would be in tough to steal the job. Of course what the coach said was positive, since it's not like he's going to say anything bad. It's what coaches/management do that matters though, not what they say to the media.

:laugh:

Really don't understand what your getting at???

Nate Leaman is a bad coach because he plays his #1 all the time?
Hawkey is not being used properly making Nate Leaman a bad coach?
Positive speaking coaches mean nothing?

No I guess it better for a coach to speak garbage about there players and tell them that the next level you move up in you will not be as good.
So I guess it better to destroy there confidence now because you know what the future hold for player X because you are a coach.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
i have little hope for Reway, hes too 1 dimensional to succeed in the NHL. Lehkonen on the other hand..

Lol is that you Therrien? If by "one-dimensional" you mean "offensive dynamo", then yes, he is uni-dimensional. Don't kid yourself though, if we were to move him, there would be a lineup, imo.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Lol is that you Therrien? If by "one-dimensional" you mean "offensive dynamo", then yes, he is uni-dimensional. Don't kid yourself though, if we were to move him, there would be a lineup, imo.

Is that you Reway ;)
I was hoping you would stay off social media after you got injured...but I guess not :laugh:

One way or another if Reway is going to play for the Habs he needs to come to North America and play for the Caps.
Come and play on NHL size rinks against bigger and faster players. With all the skill I read from other posters I wouldn't think it would be hard for Reway to lead the AHL in scoring by 10 or more points and to be a plus player.

If he is that good I want him here like yesterday!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
:laugh:

Really don't understand what your getting at???

Nate Leaman is a bad coach because he plays his #1 all the time?
Hawkey is not being used properly making Nate Leaman a bad coach?
Positive speaking coaches mean nothing?

No I guess it better for a coach to speak garbage about there players and tell them that the next level you move up in you will not be as good.
So I guess it better to destroy there confidence now because you know what the future hold for player X because you are a coach.

relax, no where did I say Leaman was a bad coach for playing his #1, I just point it out cause it means Hawkey might not play much at all this year and possibly next year. I also never said he's not being used properly, I haven't seen him or Ellis play and don't follow Providence but they are ranked 4th best team in the NCAA and just won a National Championship so clearly it's working out for them.

Positive speaking coaches does mean nothing to me, most of the time coaches, players, management, they all spout the same stuff over and over. You can't trust or put much stock into anything they say to the media since most of the time it's not like they are going to say this kid sucks and he's a turd burglar. Granted it's nice he said good things about Hawkey but what does it matter if he barley ever plays. Of course it could help him get into games next year and he should be the starter by his Junior year by assumption but at this time saying nice things about him has gotten him all but 1 start and 4 1/2 periods of NCAA hockey to date.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
relax, no where did I say Leaman was a bad coach for playing his #1, I just point it out cause it means Hawkey might not play much at all this year and possibly next year. I also never said he's not being used properly, I haven't seen him or Ellis play and don't follow Providence but they are ranked 4th best team in the NCAA and just won a National Championship so clearly it's working out for them.

Positive speaking coaches does mean nothing to me, most of the time coaches, players, management, they all spout the same stuff over and over. You can't trust or put much stock into anything they say to the media since most of the time it's not like they are going to say this kid sucks and he's a turd burglar. Granted it's nice he said good things about Hawkey but what does it matter if he barley ever plays. Of course it could help him get into games next year and he should be the starter by his Junior year by assumption but at this time saying nice things about him has gotten him all but 1 start and 4 1/2 periods of NCAA hockey to date.

What did I say that I need to relax about.....

Nothing :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->