Prospect Info: 2015-16 Rangers Prospects Thread Part II (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 2.19.16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Elite prospects says it ends after the end of this season. Maybe he'll be playing with Hartford next season. If he's really good, possibly the Rangers, although thats very unlikely.

That would be great if we could get him over to play in the AHL next season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
IMO we'd be better leaving Saarela in the Finnish league next year. He's only 18 this year--trying to acclimate into the AHL next year along with acclimating to North America and with pretty much every player in the league at least one full year older than he is--and he's not that big and it's a really physical league. That would be a lot on the plate for a 19 year old. There's no rush.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Elite prospects says it ends after the end of this season. Maybe he'll be playing with Hartford next season. If he's really good, possibly the Rangers, although thats very unlikely.

Saarela is 18 now, by the end of the season he'll be 19. Pretty sure to be in the AHL, you need to be 20, right? This was the same issue we had with Duclair.

If so, Saarela would need to spend another season either in Liiga or somewhere else.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Saarela is 18 now, by the end of the season he'll be 19. Pretty sure to be in the AHL, you need to be 20, right? This was the same issue we had with Duclair.

If so, Saarela would need to spend another season either in Liiga or somewhere else.

Thats for prospects that play are playing in the CHL. Players in Europe along with the USHL or college hockey can go straight to the AHL.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Thats for prospects that play are playing in the CHL. Players in Europe along with the USHL or college hockey can go straight to the AHL.

TIL

That being said, I think Saarela will want to stay in Liiga for at least one more year after this, unless Gorton/Clark persuade him to come over after this season.

Galvatron

Right here and now, boy
Mar 22, 2006
PNW
Fogarty has scored once today so far. Also had a nice pass on a 2-on-1 near the top of the crease go for naught when DiPauli broke his stick. It wouldn't have been a tap-in, but it was a prime scoring chance.

The game is currently in the 2nd period, broadcast on NBC Sports.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So long as Gropp scored the lone goal, I'm ok. Why do I care that Seattle lost?

I am just amazed they got outscored 7-1. They have been very dominant with Gropp-Barzal-Kolesar as the topline and Jerret Smith and Jared Hauf at the back. That unit has been incredible.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Sounds like he's really turning it on lately. Do you think he's likely to be more of a goal scorer or playmaker?
With the shot he has I'd be surprised if he becomes more of a playmaker than a goalscorer even though there also have been flashes of good playmaking by him.

And imo since Saarela still has a lot of work to do with his overall game and effort I'd wish that he keeps working on that and developing here for at least one more season after this one before going to the AHL.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
right now gropp is on pace to match is goal tally from last year in 20 less games than it took last season.

BarbaraAlphanse

I think Gropp was the reason the Rangers traded Hagelin. Etem was a throw in, as far as I'm concerned. Rangers believe they have a steal with Gropp, and I tend to agree with them. I loved everything I saw and read about him after they drafted him. Liked the Kovacs pick, too. Saarella... Seems like a huge high risk high reward player. Although they got him in the 3rd and the risk is sort of mitigated I do believe Saarella has a long way to go.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
With the shot he has I'd be surprised if he becomes more of a playmaker than a goalscorer even though there also have been flashes of good playmaking by him.

And imo since Saarela still has a lot of work to do with his overall game and effort I'd wish that he keeps working on that and developing here for at least one more season after this one before going to the AHL.

Is he still playing on the 3rd line? Or has he been moved up to the 2nd?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I like the Saarela pick. Every draft the team should swing for the fences. Most of the time you'll get St. Croix and McColgan, but the few times you'll get Marc Savard and Anthony Duclair in the mid or late rounds will make it more than worth it.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There's been a lot of evidence supporting a notion that leaving Euro's in their Euro leages until after they turn 20 is better for their development.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
When does his contract end? Could he play in the AHL next season?

Contract does not matter (over-taken by a transfer-agreement between NHL and IIHF (all Europe exclusive of KHL)), and yes, anyone that played pro-hockey, can play in the AHL regardless of age (not sure about 17 y/o, Saarela can definitely play).

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Aleksi Saarela with the team's two goals today. 8 goals in his last 9 games.

Also had a breakaway, and a couple of posts with the season high 9 shots he took for the second time this season.

Impressive

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/sportbladetlive/hockeylive/

Live feed from the presentation of the Swedish WJC roster. I am nervous, would suck if Kovac is passed over... Sweden have a good roster this year since it seems like Will Nylander will be available and there are many other exciting offensive talents. Could end up in a situation were the coach feels that he has enough offensive talent and looks for a lot of intangibles...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
**** Kovac did not make it... :(

Tough out-come for Robin. Will Nylander will play, many feel that Alex Nylander maybe is the best kid in his year group and that he even could go 1st overall (although that isn't likely), blew everyone away in the last U18 tournament he played in. Dmytro Timoshev is scoring a ton in the QMJHL.

Last year Sweden ran into a wall late in the tournament. Sweden can play one way and one way only, and that is with the puck. They won't win many games out-shoot 40-20 with a goalie standing on his head, haven't happened in ages. This year he wanted more forwards who hangs on to the puck to make sure that when they get tired, and goes deeper into the tournament, the team don't revert to playing a passive game without the puck.

The 3-4 kids that made it over Kovac are more puck-hogging types, playmakers who can turn their guy inside and out and really distribute the puck well. Kovac is more of a sniper/agitator. OTOH, those 3-4 kids that made (Nylander x 2, Timoshev) it are questionable without the puck, and hence they are supplemented by a larger group than normal of 2-way players.

But, the selection also makes it evident that the coach didn't want Kovac on a 3-4 line or at least on the PK...

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Saarela is expectedly in the final Team Finland camp roster.

Hope he makes the actual final roster. He's been impressive lately, and I hope he carries over the play to impress enough to make it to the WJC.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hope he makes the actual final roster. He's been impressive lately, and I hope he carries over the play to impress enough to make it to the WJC.

He is a lock, and so should Kovac have been probably every year for Sweden ever, really got shafted... Heard a lot of experts comment on him, the sentiment is kind of "the coach did way too much tinkering on this one". Kovac has been the leading scorer for Sweden -- against the best of Fin, Cze, Rus, U.S. and Can -- in ALL of the last tournaments he have played in.

The coach, Grönborg, said that Kovac is an offensive player and as such is compared to other offensive players. Meaning that they put him against Nylanders, Holmstrom and Timshov (so?) basically.

Really really really annoying.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think we'd all prefer him at the WJC's, but it doesn't really change his development as a hockey player. He'll either make it as an NHL player based on his development in the next few seasons or he won't. He's proven he can put up points in international competitions. Its now up to him to perform well in good men's leagues.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I think we'd all prefer him at the WJC's, but it doesn't really change his development as a hockey player. He'll either make it as an NHL player based on his development in the next few seasons or he won't. He's proven he can put up points in international competitions. Its now up to him to perform well in good men's leagues.

WJC is a good tournament for kids. Not only does it give them added high-end experience, but it also serves as a measuring stick for them to know where they stand and what they have to improve.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
WJC is a good tournament for kids. Not only does it give them added high-end experience, but it also serves as a measuring stick for them to know where they stand and what they have to improve.

Kovacs should know where he stands. He's played many international tournaments for Sweden already, and was one of their best forwards. The coach decided to go with some bigger forwards who might be a little better defensively. I also read that Kovacs commits a lot of penalties, and committing penalties has been a big problem for Sweden in recent WJC's, so that might've had something to do with the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad