Prospect Info: 2015-16 Calgary Flames Prospect Stats & Discussion Thread (CHL, NCAA & Europe)

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
Agility can be improved and his has improved and will continue to improve once working with our staff on a daily basis. And let's be honest anyone taken in the 3rd round or later is a long shot :laugh:

The latter point is the one I think makes people worry, they have int in their heads that you can't make it without being excellent at moving the puck. This is simply not true though, it helps sure, but as long as he stays within himself and makes the quick smart play, he will be just fine.

I disagree on the bottom paragraph. If you can't move the puck in this day in age at a decently high level, you aren't going to make the leap to the NHL as a prospect. The game has changed and the strictly stay at home defensemen are slowly being filtered from the league. In order for a player like Kanzig to make a name for himself, I feel he would have to be in an organization that is very shallow on the back end at the NHL level and prospect wise (Which we were in the recent past but not anymore)

I'll compare a player like Wotherspoon to Kanzig. If Wotherspoon has a hard time cracking an NHL lineup (although our defense is suddenly one of the deepest which makes it more difficult), then Kanzig likely will never get a sniff unless he brings something to his game that allows him to.

But like you said, he's a third round pick and anything around that point or after is a long shot. I didn't hate the pick then and I won't complain about it now. I just think based on what I've seen I don't think he'll get a shot with our organization, unless his game translates very well IF he eventually gets a shot in Stockton.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I disagree on the bottom paragraph. If you can't move the puck in this day in age at a decently high level, you aren't going to make the leap to the NHL as a prospect. The game has changed and the strictly stay at home defensemen are slowly being filtered from the league. In order for a player like Kanzig to make a name for himself, I feel he would have to be in an organization that is very shallow on the back end at the NHL level and prospect wise (Which we were in the recent past but not anymore)

I'll compare a player like Wotherspoon to Kanzig. If Wotherspoon has a hard time cracking an NHL lineup (although our defense is suddenly one of the deepest which makes it more difficult), then Kanzig likely will never get a sniff unless he brings something to his game that allows him to.

But like you said, he's a third round pick and anything around that point or after is a long shot. I didn't hate the pick then and I won't complain about it now. I just think based on what I've seen I don't think he'll get a shot with our organization, unless his game translates very well IF he eventually gets a shot in Stockton.

Wotherspoon has only completed 2 pro seasons and is on the verge of being an NHL player. I'd hardly say he has difficulty cracking an NHL lineup, I think he did so well in his first pro season (combined with our lack of depth at the time) that unfair and unrealistic expectations were placed on him.

And as Ace pointed out Kanzig is quite proficient at clearing the zone. And as tweeted by Willls yesterday Kanig is a hell of an athlete and actually win the mountain climb at camp yesterday in a heat that included TJ Brodie, so I reiterate that he skating deficiency is blown far out of proportion.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Do we have a thread just to discuss junior hockey in general, not just Flames prospects?

Just curious. I think it would be a good idea.
I think this would be a good place to discuss WHL. I plan on going to more games this year now that Karny and Schneider will be in town lots.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Schneider got lit up for 5ga against the Lethbridge Hurricanes tonight, THE LETHBRIDGE HURRICANES FOR **** SAKES!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad