Prospect Info: 2015-16 Calgary Flames Prospect Stats & Discussion Thread (CHL, NCAA & Europe)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
2015-16 PROSPECTS STATISTICS
flaming-lego-c_zpsd0f3ee76.jpg

GOALTENDERS
Player Name | Elite Prospects | HockeyDB | League | Amateur Club(s) | Games | Record | GAA | SV% | SO
McDonald, Mason | Link | Link | QMJHL | Charlottetown Islanders | 37 | 19 - 15 - 3 | 3.40 | 0.900 | 3
Schneider, Nick | Link | Link | WHL | Medicine Hat Tigers | 48 | 20 - 25 - 1 | 3.58 | 0.897 | 2

DEFENSEMEN
Player Name | Elite Prospects | HockeyDB | League | Amateur Club(s) | Games | Goals | Assists | Points | PIM | +/-
Andersson, Rasmus | Link | Link | OHL | Barrie Colts | 62 | 9 | 51 | 60 | 60 | 32
Bruce, Riley | Link | Link | OHL | North Bay Battalion | 52 | 1 | 10 | 11 | 52 | -2
Gilmour, John | Link | Link | NCAA-HE | Providence Friars | 32 | 9 | 14 | 23 | 16 | 2
Hickey, Brandon | Link | Link | NCAA-HE | Boston University Terriers | 35 | 5 | 3 | 8 | 26 | 2
Kanzig, Keegan | Link | Link | WHL | Calgary Hitmen | 50 | 12 | 7 | 19 | 70 | 14
Ollas-Mattson, Adam | Link | Link | SHL | Djurgardens IF | 22 | 1 | 3 | 4 | 2 | 3
Rafikov, Rushan | Link | Link | KHL | Lokomotiv Yaroslavl | 16 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 6 | 0
- | - | - | VHL | HK Ryazan | 4 | 0 | 1 | 1 | 0 | -1
- | - | - | MHL | Loko Yaroslavl | 3 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 0
- | - | - | KHL | Admiral Vladivostok | 17 | 0 | 2 | 2 | 6 | -5

FORWARDS
Player Name | Elite Prospects | HockeyDB | League | Amateur Club(s) | Games | Goals | Assists | Points | PIM | +/-
DeBlouw, Matt | Link | Link | NCAA-BIG10 | Michigan State Spartans | 27 | 8 | 7 | 15 | 24 | -2
Harrison, Tim | Link | Link | NCAA-ECAC | Colgate Raiders | 36 | 8 | 9 | 17 | 28 | -9
Jankowski, Mark | Link | Link | NCAA-HE | Providence Friars | 36 | 15 | 25 | 40 | 28 | 26
Karnaukhov, Pavel | Link | Link | WHL | Calgary Hitmen | 49 | 12 | 19 | 31 | 52 | -8
Mangiapane, Andrew | Link | Link | OHL | Barrie Colts | 57 | 50 | 51 | 101 | 50 | 37
Pollock, Brett | Link | Link | WHL | Edmonton Oil Kings | 69 | 28 | 47 | 75 | 72 | 22

For information on our professional prospects please visit the Stockton Heat thread.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Rafikov's season has begun, he has played his first 3 KHL games. He has yet to record a point so far.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Thanks (again) for doing this, 100TG! Love having one source for all our prospects stats!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What has mangiapane done to be ahead of guys like kulak kanzig and seiloff? Honest question no disrespect to other's opinions.
Nothing. He scored alot of points on the highest scoring line in the OHL playing in his draft plus 1 season with an overage player and a guy in his draft plus 2 season. But since he finished top 10 in OHL scoring (but 3rd on his team) some people think he is better than he is. They are wrong. I say this with disrespect intended because IMO it is clear they know nothing about Mangiapane and his situation other than his raw point totals.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
The biggest hurdle to me for Mangiapane is that the very smart, leg pumping game by a smaller guy is already being played much better by Klimchuk and Byron; so Mangiapane is really going to need to step his game up in a big way to push past either of them if Klimchuk doesn't grab a spot in the top 6 rather than as a 2-way 3rd liner, because a Brian Burke Brad Treliving team will not carry 3 guys like that in the bottom 6.

If people are drooling over his point totals they should be aware that he's more comparable to a guy like Cassels in Vancouver than our last top scoring small prospect; where he has some offensive potential to translate but it's his 2-way game that makes NHL teams like him more than anything.

I'm still going Hathaway at this point it's going to come down to guys who bring something to their position on an NHL level and to have a guy that has a game so well tailored to a bottom 6 role while putting the puck to the net as well as any left on the board after that Pavel, and Kulak then Seiloff are all good picks.

Last edited:

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
Nothing. He scored alot of points on the highest scoring line in the OHL playing in his draft plus 1 season with an overage player and a guy in his draft plus 2 season. But since he finished top 10 in OHL scoring (but 3rd on his team) some people think he is better than he is. They are wrong. I say this with disrespect intended because IMO it is clear they know nothing about Mangiapane and his situation other than his raw point totals.

Have you watched the two games this week? Mangiapane has probably been the most impressive of all guys on the team. He's a point producer sure, but he also has an engine that doesn't shut off which is the kind of players we are wanting on the team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Have you watched the two games this week? Mangiapane has probably been the most impressive of all guys on the team. He's a point producer sure, but he also has an engine that doesn't shut off which is the kind of players we are wanting on the team.
I'm not basing an opinion off of two meaningless games against rosters that will likely end up being chalk for of career AHLers and worse.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
I'm not basing an opinion off of two meaningless games against rosters that will likely end up being chalk for of career AHLers and worse.

How can you say these are meaningless games? I mean, the kids are giving it all trying to make an impression before main camp opens up. Mangiapane has done so with a nonstop motor, a pretty de c enter 200ft game and an eye for a set up as well as for the net.

Has he put himself on the radar? You bet, management mentioned him specifically, as did Huska. The skill is there and I woud say he did more in this tournament than many of the guys listed well ahead of him in our poll. Can he take it another step? Who knows, he still has junior eligibility which I would think the Flames will want him to go back to, to be "the guy", a leader and then go pro next year.

That all being said I look forward to seeing him in a "meaningful" camp game with higher talent playing both for and against him. I'm guessing he will not disappoint.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How can you say these are meaningless games? I mean, the kids are giving it all trying to make an impression before main camp opens up. Mangiapane has done so with a nonstop motor, a pretty de c enter 200ft game and an eye for a set up as well as for the net.

Has he put himself on the radar? You bet, management mentioned him specifically, as did Huska. The skill is there and I woud say he did more in this tournament than many of the guys listed well ahead of him in our poll. Can he take it another step? Who knows, he still has junior eligibility which I would think the Flames will want him to go back to, to be "the guy", a leader and then go pro next year.

That all being said I look forward to seeing him in a "meaningful" camp game with higher talent playing both for and against him. I'm guessing he will not disappoint.
How can I say they are meaningless games? Easily. They're meaningless because they didn't even have a practice before playing together. You're judging players on games that they have had no time to prepare for. Sure he looked good, but considering the prep time, the quality of opponent and the fact the bigger named prospects didn't play as much; I take it with a grain of salt.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
How can I say they are meaningless games? Easily. They're meaningless because they didn't even have a practice before playing together. You're judging players on games that they have had no time to prepare for. Sure he looked good, but considering the prep time, the quality of opponent and the fact the bigger named prospects didn't play as much; I take it with a grain of salt.

For sure you take it with a grain of salt but the skill and IQ are there, there is no denying that imo.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
For sure you take it with a grain of salt but the skill and IQ are there, there is no denying that imo.
I've heard the same thing about hundreds of prospects over the years and one 3 game tournament does't change anything.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You can't get to high or to low on guys after this tourney. More than anything, you need to look at it like its a window that's showing you a glimpse. Even main camp is somewhat like that as a lot of vets do not go 100% until the final couple of games.

It's definitely a good evaluation tool, but you have to be careful with making any type of proclamations from this. That said, Mangiapane sounds like he played great and it sounds like he deserves some praise. Good on him.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
I've heard the same thing about hundreds of prospects over the years and one 3 game tournament does't change anything.

For sure it does, he is playing against his peers, to suggest otherwise is naive imo. Do you honestly think management thinks these games as nothing? I've been watching hockey since the early 70's, been involved and around it at higher levels and can see the talent the kid has. Did he separate himself from the pack, I would think so and many others who watched are probably thinking the same thing(including management and coaches)

Let's just agree to disagree, you think these games are pointless whereas I see them as a great opportunity for coaches, management and the players to showcase the talent, figure out where the kids are at compared to others their age etc.

But at the same extent you are probably already saying Roy is done and I agree but it was only a "meaningless game" he was playing in so why judge him on that?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
For sure it does, he is playing against his peers, to suggest otherwise is naive imo. Do you honestly think management thinks these games as nothing? I've been watching hockey since the early 70's, been involved and around it at higher levels and can see the talent the kid has. Did he separate himself from the pack, I would think so and many others who watched are probably thinking the same thing(including management and coaches)

Let's just agree to disagree, you think these games are pointless whereas I see them as a great opportunity for coaches, management and the players to showcase the talent, figure out where the kids are at compared to others their age etc.

But at the same extent you are probably already saying Roy is done and I agree but it was only a "meaningless game" he was playing in so why judge him on that?
Oh please. There is a reason NHL teams passed on him the draft an average of 11 times each over the past 2 drafts. 3 games does not suddenly make him a better prospect than he was 3 months ago.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Mangipane before Kanzig all day. Size doesn't matter when you can't skate

Kanzig being a bad skater has to be the most overblown fallacy among Flames fans. Does he need to improve? yeah, of course but it's not anywhere near as bad as it's made out to be.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
Oh please. There is a reason NHL teams passed on him the draft an average of 11 times each over the past 2 drafts. 3 games does not suddenly make him a better prospect than he was 3 months ago.

Right and scouts and managements haven't missed guys before? I get it you have a hate on for the kid and cannot see through that to see what the kid has. The rest of us can see that he may be something.

A list of just a few undrafted NHL players;
Tyler Johnson
Mark Giordano (heard of him?)
St. Louis
Rafalski
Cujo
Oates
Belfour
Statsny
Bozak
Mullen
Courtney
kunitz
Duchesne
Ciccarelli

Just to name a few that managements have missed. Back in the day there was 12 rounds so scouts and management missing back then was much less but it did happen as witessed by some of the layers above.

I also never said 3 games makes him a better prospect. What I did say is that he separated from the group and that I can see the skill and IQ the kid has. It seems like everyone has to agree with you or you "disrespect" their opinion (your own words further up in the thread). Seems a little childish to me.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Stastny was a 2nd round pick IIRC. Unless you're talking one of the old-school Stastnys.

You've listed about 15 players out of how many thousands? Sure it happens, but it hardly happens as often as you may hope.

Mangiapane (who I don't think 100TG hates per se) is still a project and still a while away from being considered a blue chip, can't miss prospect. For me, all it tells me is that it wasn't a wasted pick and there is potential there, but he's still a long way from being an NHL player.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad