League News: 2015-16 Around the League VII (NHL News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
the league aint gonna allow that to happen if caps v pens is a potential 2nd round matchup

Exactly, if caps get first round win, nhl will do everything in their power to give pens caps round 2 for ratings

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
The Penguins are playing desperate teams and annihilating them. The ease with which they are scoring is downright scary. I know the playoffs are different but their possession stats are much more in line with a SC winning team than ours. I think Trotz missed the boat fine tuning them. Hope I'm wrong and this has been a rope-a-dope last couple months.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
**** ****sburg. Trotz knows how to beat them. By killing the TV ratings. Turtle block shots Grant Jennings D, storm the net, Holtbeast, and aggressive PK the gift PPs they get. It will take 7 games of course.

Trotz does have our Dmen playing Bruce 2011 aggressive, and the C expected to cover them but he will stop if we eek out a lead.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The Penguins are playing desperate teams and annihilating them. The ease with which they are scoring is downright scary. I know the playoffs are different but their possession stats are much more in line with a SC winning team than ours. I think Trotz missed the boat fine tuning them. Hope I'm wrong and this has been a rope-a-dope last couple months.

How did trotz miss fine tuning them? Have they lost 2 times in a row in regulation? Have they not also beaten good teams lately?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
**** ****sburg. Trotz knows how to beat them. By killing the TV ratings. Turtle block shots Grant Jennings D, storm the net, Holtbeast, and aggressive PK the gift PPs they get. It will take 7 games of course.

Trotz does have our Dmen playing Bruce 2011 aggressive, and the C expected to cover them but he will stop if we eek out a lead.

Exactly, no one should give a darn about Pitt. We aren't playing them in round one so who cares what they can do and can't do

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The storm the net part will likely be crucial. That's not an area they've needed to be great at much this season yet it might be the most crucial area they'll need to execute in the playoffs. They're used to bringing it along the walls and in generally playing sound defensively but will they show another level beyond anything shown battling in the dirty areas offensively? That may be the real question facing this team.

Pittsburgh looms as a potential second round match-up so, yes, they're very much a team worth monitoring. It could easily end up being the de facto Conference Final with all due respect to FLA & TBL.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
The storm the net part will likely be crucial. That's not an area they've needed to be great at much this season yet it might be the most crucial area they'll need to execute in the playoffs. They're used to bringing it along the walls and in generally playing sound defensively but will they show another level beyond anything shown battling in the dirty areas offensively? That may be the real question facing this team.

Pittsburgh looms as a potential second round match-up so, yes, they're very much a team worth monitoring. It could easily end up being the de facto Conference Final with all due respect to FLA & TBL.

yep those dirty goals will be needed in the trenches, our 3rd and 4th line will be the difference in a 7 game series when things get tight. I hope..

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Oshie and Williams should be in the crease early and often.

We peaked early, and Trotz may feel confident he can recreate that any time he wants. The difference I see is that our PP has dried up to the point we need to grind out wins. That's fine and what I wanted to see, winning based on ES play. We don't dominate games for whatever reason now, so most games are tight/coin flips.

The interesting thing about us in coast mode, is that we are the comeback kids. I don't think Trotz is hitting a switch to make that happen.

I would be interested to see the late peaking teams playoff record in the first round. We got screwed choked vs Philly after a monster run to get in.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Oshie and Williams should be in the crease early and often.

We peaked early, and Trotz may feel confident he can recreate that any time he wants. The problem I see is that our PP has dried up to the point we need to grind out wins. That's fine and what I wanted to see, winning based on ES play. We don't dominate games for whatever reason now, so most games are tight/coin flips.

The interesting thing about us in coast mode, is that we are the comeback kids. I don't think Trotz is hitting a switch to make that happen.

I would be interested to see the late peaking teams playoff record in the first round. We got screwed choked vs Philly after a monster run to get in.

Didn't Ottawa win like 25 of last 30 before being almost swept last year?

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
We peaked early, Pens are peaking late. We'll see soon enough where it all ends up.

But make no mistake, it's not just that they have something to play for right now and we don't, as Tex said above. After all, i'm not comparing them just to us. I'm comparing them to the rest of the league. Pens are on a Sherman-like march right now, beating both good teams and bad by scores of 5-2, 6-2, and 7-2. They are playing teams which are absolutely desperate for standings points and are slaughtering them. They certainly embarrassed us the last time we played them.

Of course, Malkin and Fleury are big question marks, health wise.

And as i said earlier, i'm almost rooting for Malkin's return because I think it may mess up their rhythm. He gets a lot of minutes.

Still. For the moment, Pens are totally dominant. Firing on all pistons, for sure.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
This may be the first time in capskind that we all hoping for a top opponent player to get healthy quick!

A fun way to beat Pitt, is through internal strife. Demoralize them from the inside out. Malkin forcing his way back and hopefully not at 100% can work. Demoralize their fans too. One call not in their favor (even the refs screw up sometimes) and they will have a meltdown. Things rarely go as planned/expected in the loffs.

What was the Caps 2010 RS Corsi - comparable to Pitt by chance?

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
This may be the first time in capskind that we all hoping for a top opponent player to get healthy quick!

A fun way to beat Pitt, is through internal strife. Demoralize them from the inside out. Malkin forcing his way back and hopefully not at 100% can work. Demoralize their fans too. One call not in their favor (even the refs screw up sometimes) and they will have a meltdown. Things rarely go as planned/expected in the loffs.

What was the Caps 2010 RS Corsi - comparable to Pitt by chance?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Why be scared of anyone right now? Had a look at the standings?

Is there any actual track record that getting hot at the end of the year translates into long playoff runs?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Is there any actual track record that getting hot at the end of the year translates into long playoff runs?

Again, this can't be repeated enough times. As Backstrom said, when the playoffs start, regular season stuff is irrelevant, and that includes the PT.

Our current slump, the PT, Pittsburgh's hot streak, the Rangers falling apart, none of that will matter. The Caps entered the playoffs in every imaginable way, and each time it gave the same results.

Personally, I think the Caps are ready for the battle.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Well, I think, Flyers will be our opponent in 1st round, because. When I want Flyers to win, they lose. And when I want Flyers to lose, they win. F*** you Flyers:shakehead incredible.

Hope Boston, Red Wings or Isles will be on WC2 position at the end.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia

here's an article I found, but it doesn't seem to be as black and white as some think.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke..._the_season_does_performance_matter_most.html

also, one could argue that facing a stronger opponent in the first round would prepare for a long run versus playing an easy opponent then facing a much stronger in the second round.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Could their graph have any lower of a resolution? Sheesh.

I'm sure there are more out there that was just a quick result I found, the closing argument basically notes what some of us are thinking anyway.

What does all this mean?
First, since there seems to be no correlation between a team’s performance over the last five games and its playoff performance, it means teams should be less concerned about a little rust at the start of the playoffs and should freely rest their players as the season winds down.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
also, one could argue that facing a stronger opponent in the first round would prepare for a long run versus playing an easy opponent then facing a much stronger in the second round.

one could argue that. one could also argue that a brutal 1st round series makes the team more vulnerable in round 2. pierre said as much about the Islanders being the reason the Caps ran out of gas vs the Rangers.

it could go either way. the year the Caps lost to the Pens in the 2nd round. Wasn't that a case of the Caps having a hard fought 7 game series while the Pens coasted passed a gassed Sens team or something? Maybe I remember that wrong.

IIRC the last time the Caps won a series in 5 games they were then swept in the next round. so....

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
I'm sure there are more out there that was just a quick result I found, the closing argument basically notes what some of us are thinking anyway.

But doesn't the article say the performance over the last 10 games is more indicative of how it will be come playoffs?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's pretty clear to me that the Penguins are the most significant threat to the Capitals in the East. They are playing incredible hockey and it's not just a run of 5-10 games. They have been excellent since the new year started.

Capitals record since January 1: 28-11-4

Penguins record since January 1: 29-10-5

Practically identical records and the Penguins have much better underlying stats, in fact they have been the best in the league. Capitals have the edge in goaltending and overall depth probably, but Letang is better than any of our current defensemen and Crosby is certainly better than any of our forwards.

If the Capitals win their first round matchup, I'd much, much rather face the Rangers in the second round than the Penguins. The Penguins look like a team that can win the Stanley Cup unlike the Rangers.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If the Capitals win their first round matchup, I'd much, much rather face the Rangers in the second round than the Penguins. The Penguins look like a team that can win the Stanley Cup unlike the Rangers.

I am sorry. Where is the logic in that? If the Pens are so good, why are they losing to the Rangers? If they can lose to the Rangers, why would they beat the Capitals? If the Pens are so good and the Rangers beat them , why would the Caps want to play the Rangers?

Don't fear. Don't hope for. It doesn't pay off

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
one could argue that. one could also argue that a brutal 1st round series makes the team more vulnerable in round 2. pierre said as much about the Islanders being the reason the Caps ran out of gas vs the Rangers.

it could go either way. the year the Caps lost to the Pens in the 2nd round. Wasn't that a case of the Caps having a hard fought 7 game series while the Pens coasted passed a gassed Sens team or something? Maybe I remember that wrong.

IIRC the last time the Caps won a series in 5 games they were then swept in the next round. so....

This is very true. That is indeed the argument, then we could say that those teams going in hot are probably in that "hard fought" situation now, does that mean the caps are the rested team? I'd tend to think so.

But doesn't the article say the performance over the last 10 games is more indicative of how it will be come playoffs?

It does, but is there any real proof that going in hot or rested making a huge difference?

My opinion is, the Caps are rested, they have the veteran leadership and Holtby is going again. That's what we should be looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00