League News: 2015-16 Around the League VII (NHL News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Here's a random stat I just came across while avoiding the work I need to do. The Caps are the only team in the Eastern Conference team with a PP in the top 6 in the league. The next best PP in the East is, of all teams, the Devils. They're 2nd in the East on the PP, but still rank dead last in the conference in G/G. That's a fun team to watch at ES.

Flip side is that 9 EC teams are in the top 12 overall in PK. Maybe the East isn't bad on the PP, they just play a lot of really good PKing teams? Could be vice versa, but I'm inclined to believe it's the former (Eastern goalies >>> Western goalies - 22 of them have played 30+ games and posted a .918+ sv%, and 14 are in the EC. Also, 8 of the top 10 goalies in sv% are from the EC). So, that might be a reason to give our PP a little slack - they're seeing a higher QoC than western PPs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Trocheck out for the rest of the season and first week of the playoffs. Terrible for the Cats, he had been playing unbelievable hockey.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Penguins TV crew is just the worst.

The absolute worst in all of sports. They're an embarrassment to the Penguins organization.

Trocheck out for the rest of the season and first week of the playoffs. Terrible for the Cats, he had been playing unbelievable hockey.

Terrible for my fantasy team too. Right in the middle of the finals!

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
wasn't sure if this was mentioned here/if this is the right thread, but you caps fans are getting an incredible beat writer in Tom Gulitti, who is leaving us to work for the NHL and apparently cover your team.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
wasn't sure if this was mentioned here/if this is the right thread, but you caps fans are getting an incredible beat writer in Tom Gulitti, who is leaving us to work for the NHL and apparently cover your team.
I noticed that last night as well. Good stuff.

For the ****ing Twitter people... @TGfireandice

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Actually he is a region writer. He says he will also write about Florida teams, Carolina and visiting teams in those areas

So he really isn't a caps writer

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Katie Brown is more the day to day writer for the Caps for NHL.com. Tom looks much more like the bigger picture regional type guy. Though with being based in DC, we may get some different takes and a different approach to reporting some Caps news. I take it that he will not be the fly with the team, attend every practice, media scrum in the lockerroom type guy, day to day.

But I guess we can just wait and see.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Can a team have multiple beat writers?
"Beat writers" are assigned by the media companies (newpapers, TV, magizines, websites)....so if there is a demand for coverage and the money to support having a dedicated reporter...there really isn't a limit of how many reports a team could have covering it. Teams control the press credentials for access, and if NHL.com wants to assign a writer to the Caps...the Caps are fine with the added coverage.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
"Beat writers" are assigned by the media companies (newpapers, TV, magizines, websites)....so if there is a demand for coverage and the money to support having a dedicated reporter...there really isn't a limit of how many reports a team could have covering it. Teams control the press credentials for access, and if NHL.com wants to assign a writer to the Caps...the Caps are fine with the added coverage.

Exactly. Isabelle, Gormley, Katie Brown (I don't know if she travels), Vogel (though he also works for the team) are the beat guys and gals.

I am also not sure about that new guy JJ Regan for CSN. I hope he starts taking over the day to day stuff from Gormley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad