League News: 2015-16 Around the League VII (NHL News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
Just looked, you are right but it's on nbcsports. Right now on there is the world curling championships haha

Oh wow haha, do many people watch curling here in the US? I can't imagine more people tuning in to watch that instead of a Pens Flyers game. Looks like there are a lot of empty seats at the match too.

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
Philly needs to start throwing hits like they did against us.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Pens have 92 goals for and 41 goals against, in March and April, give or take a goal or two.

Caps are 48 GF and 48 GA in same stretch. (Again, give or take a goal or two).

Pens' world right now, rest of us just live in it

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Pens have 92 goals for and 41 goals against, in March and April, give or take a goal or two.

those numbers are unsustainable

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009

Their defense is garbage and the sling the puck up the ice and see what happens offense won't cut it. It was barely sustainable over the past year and half in the AHL because Murray was standing on his head while on a pin.

That first goal only happens because the refs refuse to call Crosby for diving. Becoming a joke really
Literally turns around and whines at the refs midplay, falls on his ass and the call is made.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

I just don't see it. Their youth is playing over its head. Meh, maybe it's all real.....but I want to see how that group plays when its get really rough. They remind me of the 2008 Caps. Bunch of kids that don't know any better.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Their defense is garbage and the sling the puck up the ice and see what happens offense won't cut it. It was barely sustainable over the past year and half in the AHL because Murray was standing on his head while on a pin.

Literally turns around and whines at the refs midplay, falls on his ass and the call is made.

yep its really angering me how crosby just falls down and gets calls. he was barely touched and the way the stick hit his stick should not have resulted in him falling on his bottom. he does it a lot and gets away with it

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I just don't see it. Their youth is playing over its head. Meh, maybe it's all real.....but I want to see how that group plays when its get really rough. They remind me of the 2008 Caps. Bunch of kids that don't know any better.

??

Fehr? Cullen? Kunitz? Bonino? Kessel? Hornquist? Crosby? Letang? Fleury? Malkin? Hagelin?

They have plenty of veterans on that roster

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

maybe I am wrong but when that stretch started the Pens were out of a playoff spot and the Caps were locked into the top spot in the league except for official clinching. but you can compare them equally if you want to

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Thank god there's just another week left in the regular season. Then we can get on with it and see what's what.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's not excuse making. It's trying to understand what's going on with the team. It's only excuse making if you assume they suck.
Yeah, I edited that to come across more diplomatically. I don't think they suck but I do think they've effectively wasted a large portion of the season when instead they could have been perfecting their craft and becoming stronger mentally in the process. All of the talk about urgency just goes to show they haven't been driven towards a standard that isn't based on necessity. Relying on sheer determination with their back up against the wall is not a sound plan in any walk of life when it can be avoided.

I don't know. I don't get their mentality down the stretch. The bad thing is if their best isn't good enough that's just going to open up how they handled the back half of the season even more. Whereas with more planning it's possible their best would be better anyway. But, again, we'll see soon enough and we can finally see what they're really made of.

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think the Rangers will beat Pittsburgh in the 1st round. Hank + Experience and Grit down their lineup.

Rangers might not even be playing them in the first round. Think it comes down to who wins that game between the Isles versus Rangers later this week.

I think the Rangers seem off this year. They're missing something.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yeah, I edited that to come across more diplomatically. I don't think they suck but I do think they've effectively wasted a large portion of the season when instead they could have been perfecting their craft and becoming stronger mentally in the process. All of the talk about urgency just goes to show they haven't been driven towards a standard that isn't based on necessity. Relying on sheer determination with their back up against the wall is not a sound plan in any walk of life when it can be avoided.

I don't know. I don't get their mentality down the stretch. The bad thing is if their best isn't good enough that's just going to open up how they handled the back half of the season even more. Whereas with more planning it's possible their best would be better anyway. But, again, we'll see soon enough and we can finally see what they're really made of.

I guess I just disagree with your interpretation of the second half. They're humans not robots. All January long teams brought their best game vs. the Caps and were overcome. There was literally nothing left to prove in the regular season. To expect them to play with desperation when there was absolutely nothing to feel desperate about is, to my mind, unreasonable.

They've said repeatedly that they are aware of the lack of urgency and have been working to combat it. To me that is getting stronger mentally. They weren't able to entirely manufacture desperation out of thin air, which I think is understandable. But they have worked to overcome the lethargy of their dominant start and maintain their lead.

In doing that, they have to this point avoided losing in regulation twice in a row and three time in a row at all. Has any team ever done that for a whole season? I don't know. They've sustained a better than .500 pace even with nothing at stake such that they set a franchise win record and have Holtby on the verge of breaking the single season wins record without playing 70 games.

The body of work has been historically good. But we know the playoffs are different. There's nothing they could possibly have done the past month or could do now that will matter in two weeks. There was probably nothing for them to do starting mid-January that would have mattered in April.

They're either good enough or they're not. We'll know soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad