League News: 2015-16 Around the League VI (NHL News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
McDavid playing the Oilers outside of Matthews -territory because he is the only good C going early in the draft. He clearly wants better line-mates.

Smart kid.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It seems really dumb to me that NBCSN doesn't air any Oilers games. Why not show like Oilers vs. Rangers/Penguins or some other big national draw team and also give McDavid some exposure? Kid is dynamite.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It seems really dumb to me that NBCSN doesn't air any Oilers games. Why not show like Oilers vs. Rangers/Penguins or some other big national draw team and also give McDavid some exposure? Kid is dynamite.

Because nobody outside of Western Canada and the hardest core fans want to see Edmonton and McDavid. The team is a perennial cellar dweller. Ratings matter.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I can watch Oilers games on Sportsnet but that's because I live in Canada. I only watch them to see McDavid, the rest is uninteresting. The Rangers are boring to watch. The Pens are fun to watch, but only when Sid/Geno are playing well.

The teams I like to watch the most outside of the Caps/Habs are the Blues, the Stars and the Hawks.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'll catch a LA game when I can. One of my dad's good friends from his previous job is John Stevens' brother in law. Got to meet John and get a photo with the SC on the beach down in Sea Isle City, NJ two summers ago when he had the cup there. Sadly, no Jeff Carter (owns a house in Sea Isle as well) or Justin Williams were there. Williams actually owns a place right outside Atlantic City and had the cup the day before Stevens did.

Also will watch the Ducks from time to time just to see how Bruce is doing. Still hope he raises the cup at least once, just not before the Caps.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I enjoy watching the Oilers on Sportsnet when they are on. When they are fully healthy they are a very exciting team to watch. They are close to being in contention, IMHO.

Watched the Canuckleheads and CBus last night at the gym. Terrible defence for both teams but it was entertaining enough. CBus won 2-1 in a Bettmanout. Korpisalo was really good.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Edmonton and Calgary are two of my favorite teams to watch when it comes to the bottom half of the league. Usually the better teams are fun to watch regardless unless your a NYR or Montreal(w/price).

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Because his "star power" is manufactured by the media just like Jonathan Toes. It doesn't come from within like P. Kane, Seguin, Tarasenko, etc. (Soon to be Kuz :naughty:)

But don't worry, dumbass NHL marketing team will continue to try to shove him down peoples throats in one way or another.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
His star power comes from the fact that he makes highlight reel plays. How can you not appreciate how good he is?

He's a really good player on a really bad team, similar to Ovie and Crosby in their rookie seasons.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
His star power comes from the fact that he makes highlight reel plays. How can you not appreciate how good he is?

He's a really good player on a really bad team, similar to Ovie and Crosby in their rookie seasons.

He's a great young player that I'm sure will make a lot of nice goals in his career...but his alleged star power is bull***t. He's dull and uninteresting and will never win over a casual fan.

Playing for those idiotic Oilers certainly doesn't help his case.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He's a great young player that I'm sure will make a lot of nice goals in his career...but his alleged star power is bull***t. He's dull and uninteresting and will never win over a casual fan.

Playing for those idiotic Oilers certainly doesn't help his case.

That's his star power.

This is pure magic, the goal of the year so far, tied with the Malkin spin-o-rama IMO. He's a prodigy, and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the best player in the world as early as next year.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I have no issue with marketing McDavid, he is a star in the making IMO. But I also agree the NHL does a horrible job marketing anyone who isn't North American. They really do miss the boat when it comes to properly marketing the game.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I have no issue with marketing McDavid, he is a star in the making IMO. But I also agree the NHL does a horrible job marketing anyone who isn't North American. They really do miss the boat when it comes to properly marketing the game.

Correct. They don't market non-North Americans well at all.

Plus, for years they only marketed one player. *Ugh*

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
That's his star power.

This is pure magic, the goal of the year so far, tied with the Malkin spin-o-rama IMO. He's a prodigy, and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the best player in the world as early as next year.

He's the real deal. Oilers are going to be downright scary offensively. I'm happy for Oiler fans who have suffered under terrible management for years. Just need to shore up the D some more and they'll be contenders.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The NHL should be letting everyone know about McDavid. Start planting the seed to casual viewers.

A full Edmonton game does not have to be shown on NBC today for this to happen. They can start showing his clips at games, or during intermission of games on major networks. Get his name AND face out there. Tell everyone that a star may being born out in Edmonton.

They will butcher the marketing of McDavid somehow. It seems like they finally moved past a marketing plan ft. Pitt on NBC at least, but those in charge remain the same. They were very late to the game using Ovi, a marketing slam dunk, so I doubt they have learned since the red phone from Mario to Bettman is still in play for the next 6 years.

Last edited:

MEfreak

Nov 29, 2015
That's his star power.

[Youtube removed]

I recognize his talent as a star in the making, but this play doesnt equal "NHL star" to me. Its eye candy for sure. But CBJ defense got caught with their pants down, taking themselves out of the play - McD didnt undress them. Not near GOTY IMO.

I agree hes a star, but I am tired of that clip. Kuzy has had goals 2x as impressive. Yes, im a homer :)

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Walked into the McDonagh/Simmonds thread on the main boards, saw all the posts calling each player names and immediately walked out. That one probably is a mod's nightmare

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
McDonagh is a d-bag, he crosschecks Simmonds in the back of the head. Of course Simmonds is going to punch him in the face, he had it coming.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Honestly, I saw it more as McDonagh seeing Simmonds coming and putting his hands up to protect himself. Was there some contact to Simmonds head? Yes but I don't think it was enough to warrant Simmonds throwing a gloved punch at him that results in McDonagh being injured.

But hey if it helps out the Caps tomorrow with Simmonds being out or McDonagh being out long term I'm all for it. Let other teams beat the **** out of each other

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Honestly, I saw it more as McDonagh seeing Simmonds coming and putting his hands up to protect himself. Was there some contact to Simmonds head? Yes but I don't think it was enough to warrant Simmonds throwing a gloved punch at him that results in McDonagh being injured.

But hey if it helps out the Caps tomorrow with Simmonds being out or McDonagh being out long term I'm all for it. Let other teams beat the **** out of each other

This is the luxury of being in 1st place by a huge margin. We get to watch other teams tear each other apart for the remaining playoff spots, while we can sip a drink and calmly prepare for the playoffs.

Our games will be a lot less intense than the rivalry games between other Metro teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad