WC: 2015 — Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Hopefully they switch around the lines a bit. Aaltonen is clearly suffering from Kontiola/Ruutu who are just too slow for him.

I don't think anything drastic will happen, maybe just switch Aaltonen and Pesonen. Hytönen was bad, Immonen at least wins faceoffs and can pass the puck:

Jokinen-Barkov-Donskoi
Komarov-Kemppainen-Aaltonen
Pihlström-Immonen-Louhivaara
Pesonen-Kontiola-Ruutu

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I don't think anything drastic will happen, maybe just switch Aaltonen and Pesonen. Hytönen was bad, Immonen at least wins faceoffs and can pass the puck:

Jokinen-Barkov-Donskoi
Komarov-Kemppainen-Aaltonen
Pesonen-Kontiola-Ruutu
Enough time is enough time, and something needs to be done to that Kontiola unit. But what, that is the question.

In that lineup, I'd say swapping Donskoi and Aaltonen around could be a good move as well, because Aaltonen can do the same things Donskoi now does in it, and we'd get extra boost from the Kemppainen-Donskoi chemistry.

Jokinen-Barkov-Aaltonen
Komarov-Kemppainen-Donskoi
Pesonen-Kontiola-Ruutu

Though most realistically, I'd say most likely thing is to put Pesonen in that line instead of Ruutu, to put together that old familiar unit:

Pesonen-Kontiola-Aaltonen
Jokinen-Barkov-Donskoi
Louhivaara-Kemppainen-Ruutu
Pihlström-Immonen-Komarov

To fine-tune a bit more, you could also swap Donskoi and Ruutu around.

Perhaps my personal favorite would be however to build us a new 2nd line using Pesonen and Kemppainen, our two best forwards not in the Barkov unit as its base:

Jokinen-Barkov-Ruutu
Pesonen-Kemppainen-Donskoi
Komarov-Kontiola-Aaltonen

Additionally, swap Aaltonen and Ruutu around.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
How has Sasha looked so far?
Down right great. Our best forward overall.

He's been in a line with Jokinen, and the Cats fans will be happy to hear too that they're starting to figure each other out, unlike earlier in the season.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

He's been in a line with Jokinen, and the Cats fans will be happy to hear too that they're starting to figure each other out, unlike earlier in the season.

Who knows what happens with anyone's chemistry when a top country like Russia and quarterfinal opponent comes against us, since we are not facing top countries now we can't really test it. That's what scares me here and I wish KJ had sticked to basics from the start and started with Kemppainen-Donskoi from the beginning.

Imo Kemppainen has been better than Barkov of our forwards, but Barkov gets the silver place for sure.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

Florida fans like myself are dying to see Barkov realize how good he actually is..

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Imo Kemppainen has been better than Barkov of our forwards, but Barkov gets the silver place for sure.
Hardly, a couple of 5on3 goals won't change that (besides Barkov would have scored one of those if his helmet malfunction didn't force him to leave the ice). Barkov's line was the only one that managed to get sustained pressure in the Norway end 5on5. Let me repeat that for you; against Norway. That's inexcusable for the 3 other lines against a weaker opponent like Norway, how are we supposed to battle against the bigger countries if our other forwards only show up on the PP?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Hardly, a couple of 5on3 goals won't change that (besides Barkov would have scored one of those if his helmet malfunction didn't force him to leave the ice). Barkov's line was the only one that managed to get sustained pressure in the Norway end 5on5.
To push the game into the opposing zone is a team effort, so comparing Barkov to Kemppainen when on even the strength the former happens to play with the best hands in the team and the latter one has, well, Pesonen but that's it - so it's kind of unfair to say Barkov has been better based on that.

Mano-a-mano comparison between the two is closer, but I said Barkov has been our best so he still comes out on top.

It goes without saying however that Kemppainen needs a promotion and linemates he can do some real damage with. So yeah, I vote for putting the Kärppä pair back together. If there's still need for a fast puck hog in Barkov's unit, try Aaltonen.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012

Looking good in a two games against Denmark and Norway doesn't mean they're starting to figure each other out. I hope they are, but I don't think it is a coincidence this happened against the weakest opponents this season (yes, they are worse than Buffalo).

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
Looking good in a two games against Denmark and Norway doesn't mean they're starting to figure each other out. I hope they are, but I don't think it is a coincidence this happened against the weakest opponents this season (yes, they are worse than Buffalo).

Agreed. Jokinen is still killing that line. Donskoi has been alright.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It's not just Denmark and Norway - they've looked gradually better game after game. Of course, they've just barely broken the surface and still have ways to go before you'd call them inseparable, but the curve has been showing upwards for a while now.

Also, even these second tier countries can be difficult these days if you play with only partial effort. So belittling their effort based on the opponent is not very smart.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

Not really. We have a 1st line of Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr that was great together. That's great for team Finland that Jokinen and Barkov are starting to figure each other out, but for the Panthers it's too late.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Not really. We have a 1st line of Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr that was great together. That's great for team Finland that Jokinen and Barkov are starting to figure each other out, but for the Panthers it's too late.
And having extra options has hurt you... when?

Also, Jokinen will likely be with the Cats a while longer than Jagr will.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

I'm just reliefed it started to somewhat work. Not fan of that "duo".

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'm just reliefed it started to somewhat work. Not fan of that "duo".
The thing is, since we don't have Jagr or Huberdeau, slapping those two together and having 'em solve the puzzle was the best, most obvious - and one might almost say "only" - option for KJ from the start.

It's pretty much a given that they won't play together in Florida as long as Jaro and Hubs are healthy, but the fans don't have to dread the combination either if an injury forces the management's hand.

All in all, I can see why they may not be as excited as they could have been prior to this season - but I don't see why they should be unhappy either.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

Just saying, if they were not both Finnish, no one would be concerned about whether might produce a little bit together or not. It's like if Barkov and Upshall had produced some offense, that's nice but nothing that will move the needle that much.
Now for team Finland it's a different story, when the pool of players you have to select from is smaller than an NHL team.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It goes without saying however that Kemppainen needs a promotion and linemates he can do some real damage with. So yeah, I vote for putting the Kärppä pair back together. If there's still need for a fast puck hog in Barkov's unit, try Aaltonen.

Agreed. Just need to try this... KJ, it's not rocket science.

Jokinen-Barkov-Aaltonen
Donskoi-Kemppainen-X
X-Kontiola-X
X-Hytönen-X

If Aaltonen can't perform in that line either then we can replace him with Hartikainen.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Lines in practice:

Lepistö-Hietanen
Salmela-Lindell
Ohtamaa-Jaakola
Mäntylä-Jokipakka

Ruutu-Kontiola-Aaltonen
Jokinen-Barkov-Donskoi
Pihlström-Immonen-Hartikainen
Pesonen-Kemppainen-Komarov

Still no actual changes to the lineup, KJ just making sure everybody stays warm.

And in net tomorrow... drumrolls, please... Rinne. What a surprise.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Considering the amount of years JJ has spent with one NHL team on average, I wouldn't count on it. Also the cap could become an issue during his final year (2017-18), if he hasn't been traded before that already.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
KJ was happy with Kontiola and Aaltonen. Seriously how clueless is he? Few lucky assists on 5vs3 and everything is suddenly okay with those guys?

http://www.jatkoaika.com/Haastattel...tiikkiin-”kontiola-pelasi-huippupelin”/167249

He doesn't want to hurt their self confidence because it's not like he has better options waiting in the wings, he can't just put them on pop corn duty. He picked these players to the team despite especially one of them underperforming the entire season and placed them in key roles. There's no way he will ever admit it was a mistake, and even less so during the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad