WC: 2015 — Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Here's my 2015 WC team Finland Roster selections.
(8X D, 13X F, 3X G)

D:

R Ristolainen (BUF)
J Jokipakka (DAL/TEX)
P Lindbohm (STL/CHI)
V Pokka (STL/CHI)
E Lindell (ÄSSÄT)
K Näkyvä (LULEÅ)
O Väänänen (JOKERIT)
I Melart (YUGRA)

F:

L Komarov (TOR)
M Koivu (MIN)
M Granlund (MIN)
E Haula (MIN)
T Ruutu (NJD)
I Pakarinen (EDM/OKC)
T Hartikainen (UFA)
A Pihlström (UFA)
J Immonen (TORPEDO)
E Elo (ÄSSÄT)
M Niemi (ÄSSÄT)
M Hännikäinen (JYP)
H Pesonen (LAUSANNE)

G:

K Lehtonen (DAL)
J Ortio (CLG/ADN)
J Saros (HPK)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
The Line Up.

1st Line:
Komarov-Koivu-Elo
Lindell-Ristolainen.

2nd Line:
Ruutu-Immonen-Granlund
Jokipakka-Näkyvä.

3rd Line:
Hartikainen-Haula-Pakarinen
Lindbohm-Pokka.

4th Line:
Hännikäinen-Pesonen-Pihlström

13. forward Niemi or 7. d-man Väänänen either Melart.

SG. Lehtonen
BG. Ortio

3. goalie Saros.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Lepistö, Hietanen, Kukkonen and Väänänen will make up half of the D if they're willing and available. Ristolainen should be in also, of course with the same conditions as the afore-mentioned 4. After that it gets more difficult. Lindell certainly has a shot, but I don't see all of Lindbohm, Pokka and Jokipakka making it.

Koivu's wife is pregnant and due in the early summer. Depending on what that actually means and how she's doing at the time, the odds of him playing in this tournament are 50/50.

Haula should not come. He apparently spent last offseason doing too many other things besides working out, and I'd recommend he get an early start to this offseason if he still wants to have an NHL career.

I could see Hännikäinen and Elo having a chance to make it, but I hope K. Jalonen knows better than to pick players like Vahalahti, Tuppurainen and Jesse Saarinen. All could probably fill a 4th line role, but they're unlikely to improve their game anymore and increase their role from that. That's why a player like Hännikäinen would be more suitable to take on a small role this year. Of course, maybe we'll run out of players again like last year and end up having to dig deep and pick the Sallinen brothers again.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
but I don't see all of Lindbohm, Pokka and Jokipakka making it.
Any solid AHLer who sees their main team make the Stanley Cup playoffs can be safely written off, especially if they're high up on the recall depth chart. That means one can say Lindbohm won't be there. Maybe Pokka either. Jokipakka ought to be available since neither Dallas or Texas Stars are doing too well at the moment.

Out of Euro d-men, you can bet your backside that Lepistö, Hietanen, Kukkonen and Väänänen will be there if healthy and willing to come.

That leaves four more slots open, and I figure Ristolainen and Jokipakka should one each if available. That leaves room for two more, preferably a left-hooked OD and a good utility guy. Currently there are too many to pick in Europe, but I'd say Kivistö and/or Lindell should be close.

Therefore: Lepistö, Hietanen, Kivistö, Ristolainen, Kukkonen, Väänänen, Lindell, Jokipakka

Plenty of variations concerning forwards. Out of NHLers, anyone from Minny and Florida are a possibility. Koivu looks like a long shot though, as does Bergenheim since he's going to be out of contract. From Europe, the usual suspects. Immonen, Kontiola, Salminen, Aaltonen, etc. Out of AHL forwards, Armia could be available. Pulkkinen is going to be with Detroit. MaG will be either with Adirondack in the AHL or with the Flames.

With a bit of luck, we could be looking at something like this:

Mi.Granlund - Barkov - Jokinen
Korpikoski - Kontiola - Aaltonen
Salminen - Immonen - Osala
Komarov - Wirtanen - Hartikainen
+Armia

As far as goalies go, Lehtonen should be available. Whether he wants to come, it's anybody's guess. Like MaG, Ortio will be in the AHL playoffs with Adirondack if Calgary doesn't make it.

Thus a possible trio is Lehtonen - Koskinen - Saros.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Lepistö, Hietanen, Kukkonen and Väänänen will make up half of the D if they're willing and available. Ristolainen should be in also, of course with the same conditions as the afore-mentioned 4. After that it gets more difficult. Lindell certainly has a shot, but I don't see all of Lindbohm, Pokka and Jokipakka making it.

Koivu's wife is pregnant and due in the early summer. Depending on what that actually means and how she's doing at the time, the odds of him playing in this tournament are 50/50.

Haula should not come. He apparently spent last offseason doing too many other things besides working out, and I'd recommend he get an early start to this offseason if he still wants to have an NHL career.

I could see Hännikäinen and Elo having a chance to make it, but I hope K. Jalonen knows better than to pick players like Vahalahti, Tuppurainen and Jesse Saarinen. All could probably fill a 4th line role, but they're unlikely to improve their game anymore and increase their role from that. That's why a player like Hännikäinen would be more suitable to take on a small role this year. Of course, maybe we'll run out of players again like last year and end up having to dig deep and pick the Sallinen brothers again.

Vahalahti,Tuppurainen,Saarinen,yup...no for me too.

1) Vahalahti too old,too slow for international games 2) Tuppurainen&Saarinen
Liiga and EHT level,not WC level players.

Kukkonen a big maybe,but Lepistö and Hietanen hells
nos,way,way too soft players vs Russians,Swedes and Canadians
seen that,oh so many times at the worlds.

Its time for youth and keep the "seasoned" players in minimum.
that's why Jokipakka,Lindbohm and Pokka should include.

My team include; size,strength,spit,grit,tons of speed
and the right amount of scoring touch.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Any AHLer who sees their main team make the Stanley Cup playoffs can be safely written off, especially if they're high up on the recall depth chart. That means one can safely write off Lindbohm. Maybe Pokka too. Jokipakka ought to be available since neither Dallas or Texas Stars are doing too well at the moment.

Out of Euro d-men, you can bet your backside that Lepistö, Hietanen, Kukkonen and Väänänen will be there if healthy and willing to come.

That leaves five more slots open, and I figure Ristolainen and Jokipakka should get spots if available. That leaves room for two more, preferably a left-hooked OD and a good utility guy. Currently there are too many to pick in Europe, but I'd say Kivistö and/or Lindell should be close.

Therefore: Lepistö, Hietanen, Kivistö, Ristolainen, Kukkonen, Väänänen, Lindell, Jokipakka

Plenty of variations concerning forwards. Out of NHLers, anyone from Minny and Florida are a possibility. From Europe, the usual suspects. Immonen, Kontiola, Salminen, Aaltonen, etc. Out of AHL forwards, Armia is a possibility. Pulkkinen is going to be with Detroit.

Lepistö and Hietanen are horrible in own end,no thank you.

You are probably right about Lindbohm,however anything can happen
in the play-offs,early exit and all,i'm sure Pokka will be available.

Kukkonen is a big if,not sure what he does after Kärpät takes the Kanada Malja
to Oulu,does he retire or does he have "mojo" still left for the worlds.

No to Kivistö.

Kontiola??? funny,hell no and if anyone suggests Leino
then ditto to him too,Salminen;lots of everything can't score
as often as he should,so no,Aaltonen read above,not this time.

No to Armia,Pulkkinen? agree no,Pulks is top 6 player,no room for him.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
^Well, it won't make an iota of difference if YOU don't like some of the Euro names mentioned. They're NT regulars and will be high on the acquisition list of the team management come the spring.

I thought we were going to discuss a realistic team here, not some fantasy sandbox roster.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I wouldn't select any Panthers players,for this reason;
'cause i think Panthers are in the play-offs as they take the last Wild Card spot.
and i have a gut feeling they gonna go far,a dark horse for this post season.
( I KNOW, MANY DOESN'T BELIEVE IN THAT,BUT I DO AND MANY TIMES IVE BEEN
RIGHT ABOUT THESE THINGS,NOT THAT ANYONE KNOWS THAT,THAT IVE BEEN RIGHT ,BUT JUST THOUGHT I'D MENTION THAT :) ).

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
^Well, it won't make an iota of difference if YOU don't like some of the Euro names mentioned. They're NT regulars and will be high on the acquisition list of the team management come the spring.

I thought we were going to discuss a realistic team here, not some fantasy sandbox roster.

Not about of my liking's,fact is Lepistö nor Hietanen should be in,
not good enough,nothing to do with like/dislike.

Last Worlds: Lepistö (2013) 10 games 0 goals,
Hietanen was really good at last worlds,
but i'd still pick someone else -> Kristian Näkyvä,
having monster of a season in Sweden.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Elo on the first line, Niemi making it? You must be Ässät fan. Neither have even played in EHT tounaments.

Donskoi is a lock.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

My team isn't realistic,how so?
its withing parameters. (easily)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
By selecting your usual suspects to d and to f,we win nothing,yet again.

Yes, at last worlds refs stole our gold and gave it to Russians
certain already mentioned players with that team,
nevertheless i'd go to with more youth this time,
give it to the hungry and needy,no more your typical suspects
who's been at these games for too many times,lets keep that number¨
to minimum.

master4071

Nov 30, 2011
Looks like there are more than few solid options for defence, so we must wait and see who will be available. Lepistö, Hietanen, Kukkonen and Väänänen will be there, if they want to go. I think that we shouldn't take more than two youngsters, so I would go with Ristolainen and Lindell. I wouldn't mind Salmela or Koistinen, then there are several other Jokerit d-men, who can be there.

As for NHL-ers I hope for at least Jussi Jokinen, Komarov, Ruutu and Granlund. Someone from AHL (Armia, Pakarinen) could go too.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Looks like there are more than few solid options for defence, so we must wait and see who will be available. Lepistö, Hietanen, Kukkonen and Väänänen will be there, if they want to go. I think that we shouldn't take more than two youngsters, so I would go with Ristolainen and Lindell. I wouldn't mind Salmela or Koistinen, then there are several other Jokerit d-men, who can be there.

As for NHL-ers I hope for at least Jussi Jokinen, Komarov, Ruutu and Granlund. Someone from AHL (Armia, Pakarinen) could go too.

I too believe Väänänen is there,but Kukkonen might say no.

Salmela and Koistinen ???
Koistinen is one possibility,if one can't get the best ones
but Salmela?,nope,good league player,a floater in international level,
2011 worlds was good,but not one of the best,his WC highlight of the twilight
was getting a beating from Backes 6 years ago.

I agree with Komarov,Ruutu and Granlund,but even if
Panthers wouldn't make it,i wouldn't take any of the Panthers.

master4071

Nov 30, 2011
So Jaakola or Ohtamaa could replace Kukkonen, but I don't think is very reasonable to go with too many youngsters. Definetly I want to see Lindell out there. Also Melart is nothing special, still prefer Salmela over him, but we will see. I wonder if we will see any Jokerit player after their play-off run.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Tomi Sallinen has been an absolute beast in SHL this year, with 28p in 39 games (16g 12a). He is playing first D-man minutes ,as a center and he actually played 30:10 two games ago. A top 5 center in the leauge without doubt. Should be able to handle a 4th line center role I think.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Tomi Sallinen has been an absolute beast in SHL this year, with 28p in 39 games (16g 12a). He is playing first D-man minutes ,as a center and he actually played 30:10 two games ago. A top 5 center in the leauge without doubt. Should be able to handle a 4th line center role I think.

Does Sallinen get PK minutes in Leksand?

Sallinen did play at the last Worlds,small role,0 goals 0 points,
i think 4th line,so maybe,maybe,i totally forgot about him.

Like someone already posted,lots of possibilities.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
My team isn't realistic,how so?
its withing parameters. (easily)
There is no pretense of realism when your reasoning to omitting players who will be there if healthy & willing practically boils down to "well, I just happen to think they're garbage and shouldn't be there".

Or shall we put it like this: Two realistic things that will sideline certain players from these games are either injuries or lack of motivation.

Some kid thinking they're not good enough and somehow figuring KJ and co will agree with him because... err... maybe magic? is not what anyone sensible would call a "realistic thing".

Delusions, more like.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Elo on the first line, Niemi making it? You must be Ässät fan. Neither have even played in EHT tounaments.

Donskoi is a lock.

What have you been smoking? If Donskoi makes it to the team then we have even worst team on paper then last year

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
What have you been smoking? If Donskoi makes it to the team then we have even worst team on paper then last year

I don't see Donskoi as a lock either, there are better and more experienced players in NHL and KHL for top-6 winger roles. But his linemate Joonas Kemppainen is another story. Both Kari Jalonen and Lauri Marjamäki rate him extremely highly and without an injury he's close to centering our 4th line in the tournament.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

We had guys like Huhtala, Savinainen, Jormakka, J.Sallinen last year, Donskoi is much better player than those guys were. He could easily play a bottom 6 role with Kemppainen.

Assuming we get 3-4 nhl'ers

Korpikoski-Barkov-Armia
JJokinen-Kontiola-Aaltonen
Komarov-Immonen-Salminen
Pihlström-Kemppainen-Donskoi
Hartikainen/Osala

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Donskoi has a good chance of making it, as does Kemppainen, but to call either of them a lock when we don't even know yet how many more seasoned players will be available to us is nothing but blatant homerism. Let it be said however, that if those guys end up making the final squad, I've nothing against it. Could think of far worse options with a shot of donning the jersey.

Of course, even if one somehow manages to ice a full-NHL roster, it's likely to contain a player or two of lesser stature, because no one with a high enough profile will join the squad to be an extra.

Korpikoski-Barkov-Armia
JJokinen-Kontiola-Aaltonen
Komarov-Immonen-Salminen
Pihlström-Kemppainen-Donskoi
Hartikainen/Osala
Nice Kärppä glasses. At the very least, Osala will take preference over Donskoi. Judging by what we've seen this far, him, Immonen and Salminen are going to be an unit. That would mean Komarov is 4th liner and Donskoi in the pressbox in a lineup like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad