WC: 2015 — Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
O'Reilly looked like Bergeron yesterday. That fourth line is pretty good.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
You don't have to do it every year, but when you really want to pull one out, you have to go all in. plus you don't have to send him home. Schenn and his significant other get a paid vacation in Europe for 3 weeks. It's a good deal. You just have to know how to manage the roster a little better...know which players may or may not become available. Next year is a late start to the tournament anyway. We may be close to the end of the 2nd round before the tournament starts in Moscow/SPb.

For Europeans, it is very rewarding to see Canadians catching on to "World Hockey Championship Fever" in force. We have known for years that the WHC is the premier attraction in the sport, but we heard Canadians say for so long how disinterested they were and how they didn't want to be bothered with an event so insignificant. And yet I expect that the banner headline in the Toronto Globe and Mail this morning was " ALL EYES IN THE GREAT WHITE NORTH RIVETED ON PRAGUE." I suspect that the fact that Canada sent its Olympic team this year has something to do with the frenzied interest. You will soon find out that once you experience the WHC, you'll never go back to anything else!

DyerMaker66*

Couldnt watch the game, so gotta ask. How did Mackinnon do in this game? After all a super talent playing with Crosby and no points = is something wrong?

He looks good with Crosby, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
For Europeans, it is very rewarding to see Canadians catching on to "World Hockey Championship Fever" in force. We have known for years that the WHC is the premier attraction in the sport, but we heard Canadians say for so long how disinterested they were and how they didn't want to be bothered with an event so insignificant. And yet I expect that the banner headline in the Toronto Globe and Mail this morning was " ALL EYES IN THE GREAT WHITE NORTH RIVETED ON PRAGUE." I suspect that the fact that Canada sent its Olympic team this year has something to do with the frenzied interest. You will soon find out that once you experience the WHC, you'll never go back to anything else!

There is definitely more interest in the Worlds this year in Canada because of Crosby & co., but errr, the front page of the Globe & Mail definitely didn't refer to Worlds. :laugh:

Also, Canada didn't send its Olympic team this year - they sent a team including 4 members of the Sochi team. Not exactly the same thing!

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

This is really not what's happening.

Most people I know only care about how the players from their favorite NHL team are doing. I don't care at all who wins this event, as long as the players I'm interested in do well. I haven't actually heard this tournament come up in conversation outside of someone pointing out that Hall had a hat trick.

At least it's nice to have hockey on in the morning, I guess? Even though I can't actually watch most of it, and even though it's about 1/10th as entertaining as the playoffs.

Juppy61

May 14, 2013
Canada

While I share your love of the international game, especially the Olympics, I can't say the same for all of my hockey fan buddies here. I hang out with some fanatical hockey fans but there has not been a mention of the World Hockey Championships among them. All eyes are on the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Not many here in Canada pay much attention to the World Hockey Championships. If Canada does make it to the finals then I'm sure there will be heightened interest but nowhere near the level of the Olympics. Rightfully or wrongfully, the Stanley Cup Playoffs is much more important to Canadians then the World Hockey Championships.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
There is definitely more interest in the Worlds this year in Canada because of Crosby & co., but errr, the front page of the Globe & Mail definitely didn't refer to Worlds. :laugh:

Also, Canada didn't send its Olympic team this year - they sent a team including 4 members of the Sochi team. Not exactly the same thing!

3 players really. The 4th., goaltender Mike Smith was the 3rd stringer. Did he even dress for a game or was he in the press box for the entire Sochi experience... still loving that gold medal...goes nicely with our Vancouver gold.

Meanwhile Team Russia has 9 players from it's Olympic team and they are holding all night vigils in Moscow hoping Washington gets ousted quickly to fly in the Great 8 to make it a 10th Olympic player. I hear a private jet is fueled and already on the tarmac at Reagan airport ready to takeoff.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

You can believe us or not, but, yes, the WHC remains insignificant to most Canadians. Canada's 6-3 win is not even in the top headlines of the sports section of the Globe and Mail. You have to go to the Hockey specific section to find the result among the plethora of NHL articles.

When a few big names like Crosby and Giroux head over to the WHC the tournament may get more headlines than normal, but the event still has a small fraction of the number of people that follow the Stanley Cup playoffs. Only us diehard Canadian hockey fans around HF are the ones following closely the preliminary round because it continues to be viewed as a consolation hockey event by the majority of Canadians (i.e., you can only play in it once you have been eliminated from the Stanley Cup playoffs). I imagine the number of people paying attention in Montreal and Calgary is minuscule when compared to the Cup numbers.

The funny part is this team is so far from being the Olympic team. They have Crosby, Duchene, and Hamhuis (and Smith) from the gold medal 2014 team. At best, Hall, Seguin, and Giroux would be the ones added to the Olympic team for the next Olympics. The lack of elite two-way players, defensemen, and goaltending would make this version of Canada very vulnerable against Olympic caliber competition.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
For Europeans, it is very rewarding to see Canadians catching on to "World Hockey Championship Fever" in force.

You mean like the 99% of Canadian posters on this site who don't post here, or the vast majority of fans who don't tune into the games? OK.

We have known for years that the WHC is the premier attraction in the sport,

Even you cannot think that, given the Olympics. No one in Canada would put this tournament above the Stanley Cup as an attraction.

but we heard Canadians say for so long how disinterested they were and how they didn't want to be bothered with an event so insignificant.

Most still think this.

And yet I expect that the banner headline in the Toronto Globe and Mail this morning was " ALL EYES IN THE GREAT WHITE NORTH RIVETED ON PRAGUE."

So your evidence is just speculation on the headline of a fictional newspaper? Quite convincing.

I suspect that the fact that Canada sent its Olympic team this year has something to do with the frenzied interest.

Where is Getzlaf? Tavares? Perry? Nash? Weber? Doughty? Pietrangelo? Subban? Bergeron? Price? Luongo? Where is the frenzy for that matter?

Canada has sent Crosby, it's 13th forward (Duchene), 7/8 defenceman (Hamhuis) and third goaltender (Smith). Seguin and Giroux are also Olympic calibre players, and that's it. Imagine the "frenzy" if Canada had sent anything close to its actual Olympic team.

You will soon find out that once you experience the WHC, you'll never go back to anything else!

All this, and yet the popularity of the tournament is waning in some countries. Regardless, it would be nice if this tournament was more popular in Canada, but its timing will always prevent that. No amount of exclamation marks will change that unfortunately.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
For Europeans, it is very rewarding to see Canadians catching on to "World Hockey Championship Fever" in force. We have known for years that the WHC is the premier attraction in the sport,

The Olympics are bigger and better, as are the playoffs. This tournament is closer to the WJHC in importance.

but we heard Canadians say for so long how disinterested they were and how they didn't want to be bothered with an event so insignificant. And yet I expect that the banner headline in the Toronto Globe and Mail this morning was " ALL EYES IN THE GREAT WHITE NORTH RIVETED ON PRAGUE." I suspect that the fact that Canada sent its Olympic team this year has something to do with the frenzied interest. You will soon find out that once you experience the WHC, you'll never go back to anything else!

Not even close to the Olympic team.

Never go back to anything else? What a bizarre comment, I will surely watch NHL hockey tonight, just like last night as I always will.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto

The vast majority of Canadians are still pretty indifferent towards the WHC. This year's increased interest is due mostly to Crosby and a stronger-than-usual lineup.

Most Canadian hockey fans regard the WHC as an after-thought - nice to win, but no big deal if we lose.

Even for those who closely follow the event (like myself), it's a fun tournament whose main purpose is that it's somewhat of a tryout for our next A-squad, hopefully in 2018.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
If Canada wins gold (big if), I hope Team Canada takes notice and starts sending CHL superstars to the WJC. No more grinders, role players, 3rd liners. Just send a stacked all-offense team and outscore your opponents.

We lucked out that the WJC team won gold this year, but you usually don't have that many offensive guys who click (Domi, Duclair, Reinhart, McDavid, Petan). Most years some of the "offense" guys can't get going and the "defense" guys can't chip in.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I'm just observing the buzz and the clear excitement from those who claim to be indifferent and even unaware of the drama of the WHC.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm just observing the buzz and the clear excitement from those who claim to be indifferent and even unaware of the drama of the WHC.

This thread has been open since January and still hasn't hit the post limit. Compare that to last nights Caps-Rags game where the main board thread was 15 pages long, each of those teams boards filled up threads and post game threads, etc. Check the TV ratings in Canada and the difference in media reports and you will see which game had more buzz. There is no question that the Olympics and the NHL playoffs are far more important in Canada, it isn't even close.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
This is really not what's happening.

Most people I know only care about how the players from their favorite NHL team are doing. I don't care at all who wins this event, as long as the players I'm interested in do well. I haven't actually heard this tournament come up in conversation outside of someone pointing out that Hall had a hat trick.

At least it's nice to have hockey on in the morning, I guess? Even though I can't actually watch most of it, and even though it's about 1/10th as entertaining as the playoffs.

You've got it reversed. NHL playoffs are about 1/10 entertaining. The Rangers and Capitals game yesterday was so boring, I had to switch to a replay of the Canada Czech game. There was alot more skating, which made it more entertaining than NHL Playoffs. Love the bigger ice.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto

The HFboards international hockey page is not exactly an accurate representation of Canada's current sports zeitgeist.

Those of us who are following Canada at the WHC and watching every game are far from typical.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

There is more buzz...because Sid went.

We know that most years we will lose because our top players don't go or are still in the playoffs. Remember the years of us being led by "Captain Canada" in Ryan Smyth.

Read thru a GDT for Canada. There are LOTS of comments from people asking how "their" players are playing(Flyer fans asking about Giroux or Couturier for example)

For Canada, this is below the World Juniors as far as importance. But like any competition, we still want our country to win. If we don't, no one really cares. If we lose the Olympics...EVERYONE cares.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
There is more buzz...because Sid went.

We know that most years we will lose because our top players don't go or are still in the playoffs. Remember the years of us being led by "Captain Canada" in Ryan Smyth.

Read thru a GDT for Canada. There are LOTS of comments from people asking how "their" players are playing(Flyer fans asking about Giroux or Couturier for example)

For Canada, this is below the World Juniors as far as importance. But like any competition, we still want our country to win. If we don't, no one really cares. If we lose the Olympics...EVERYONE cares.

The OHL finals will do better TV numbers this year than the WHC.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic

Fever? Please dont exaggerate. I was in Canada in olympic year. What I remember people who were interested in hockey mostly knew results of team Canada. It was also broadcasted as it is better to have some hockey in the morning than no hockey:) Olympics and SC definetely has much much more interest and WHC definetely did not attract masses in Canada as it is in Europe. On the other hand the world "indiferent" has different meaning in hockey country. So I would compare this interest to WC in my country. It is not what somebody would wait for two month ago, however no one wanted to see TC loosing games ....Thats my experience..

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
The team we have may not be the Olympic team, but the forwards are disgustingly good. I doubt any team will beat us because of that alone. The D/G is pretty mediocre by Canadian standards but still on par with most of the best teams at the WHC.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If Canada wins gold (big if), I hope Team Canada takes notice and starts sending CHL superstars to the WJC. No more grinders, role players, 3rd liners. Just send a stacked all-offense team and outscore your opponents.

We lucked out that the WJC team won gold this year, but you usually don't have that many offensive guys who click (Domi, Duclair, Reinhart, McDavid, Petan). Most years some of the "offense" guys can't get going and the "defense" guys can't chip in.

I don't think Hockey Canada intentionally sends crappy teams like the 2014 team. They certainly view this tournament in part as a tryout for the future (see situations like Bergeron this year) but every year it seems like they invite most of the best players. No Canadian turns down the World Juniors anymore (Chris Gratton and Brendan Witt did this in 1995... imagine what the reaction would be today) but many turn down this tournament. Look at Johansen and Couture this year (guess they're too big to play on Crosby's team). That's not on Hockey Canada's selections.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I'm seeing the same posters in here as I do during every WHC.

This is one of the more entertaining incarnations that Canada has sent in awhile.

But our defence and goaltending is pretty poor by national team standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad