WC: 2015 — Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Are we going to see another half assed attempt on the part of Hockey Canada in 2015 as we saw in 2014. (Granted an Olympic year, so I'll cut them some slack)

But last year there was no training camp held in Canada. The team flew to Switzerland, 2 days of practice, 2 pre-tournament games and then travelled on to Minsk to open the tournament. With the lack of preparation was anyone really surprised by the results?

The NHL season ends April 11. The Tournament opens May 1. Not a whole lot of time to prepare and only 1 rd. of the NHL playoffs will be concluded by the time the tournament starts.

based on silly notion that there are no rejections (silly me) due to injury or Jerome Iginla syndrome (blocking Hockey Canada's telephone #)

1. I'd rather not include Simmonds, but can't come up with a better option from non-playoff teams.
2. I'm counting on San Jose losing in the 1st rd. and 3 sharks flown in as the only late additions from teams making an early exit.
3. No way Luongo plays, but who knows, maybe he wants to try and win his number 1 spot back from Price for the World Cup (if that ever happens)
4. No Edmonton Oilers.

J BENN T SEGUIN C GIROUX
M DUCHENE R JOHANSON N MACKINNON
L COUTOUR E STAAL M CAMMALLERI
C MACARTHUR K TURRIS W SIMMONDS

S MONAHAN B BURNS A HENRIQUE

T.J. BRODIE M GIORDANO
M.E. VLACIC T BARRIE
M SCANDELLA J SPURGEON
A EKBLAD

R LUONGO
J BERNIER
D KUEMPER

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Confirming and giving details on the World Cup would probably go a long way toward ensuring that any of Canada's best players participate. Some will still say no obviously, but it would help. I highly doubt they will have any kind of legitimate training camp. There aren't a lot of quality coaches out of the playoffs at the moment outside of Tippett (I wasn't impressed with him last year) so I hope they consider someone like Boucher who is at least active in Europe and might have some potential use in the future. As tempting as it is to just say no Oilers (it's a joke that they all refused last year), I don't think that is a conducive strategy to best using Canada's resources.

The main goal should be to get some young guys into this tournament for Canada (especially Seguin, who has never played for Canada in an IIHF tournament) and not waste spots. I still don't understand how Ryan Johansen didn't make it last year after the first round, for instance. This is what I would want to see given current standings, with players I expect would refuse (Giroux, Staal etc.) excluded:

Benn Seguin MacKinnon
Hall Johansen Henrique
O'Reilly Duchene Eberle
Skinner Turris Simmonds
Couturier

Giordano Brodie
Campbell Barrie
Wideman Ekblad
Rielly

Bernier
Goaltender 2
Goaltender 3

As long as I see the requisite young guys there (Seguin, Johansen, MacKinnon, Duchene, Hall) given their teams miss the playoffs I'll be happy enough with the roster.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Confirming and giving details on the World Cup would probably go a long way toward ensuring that any of Canada's best players participate. Some will still say no obviously, but it would help. I highly doubt they will have any kind of legitimate training camp. There aren't a lot of quality coaches out of the playoffs at the moment outside of Tippett (I wasn't impressed with him last year) so I hope they consider someone like Boucher who is at least active in Europe and might have some potential use in the future. As tempting as it is to just say no Oilers (it's a joke that they all refused last year), I don't think that is a conducive strategy to best using Canada's resources.

The main goal should be to get some young guys into this tournament for Canada (especially Seguin, who has never played for Canada in an IIHF tournament) and not waste spots. I still don't understand how Ryan Johansen didn't make it last year after the first round, for instance. This is what I would want to see given current standings, with players I expect would refuse (Giroux, Staal etc.) excluded:

Benn Seguin MacKinnon
Hall Johansen Henrique
O'Reilly Duchene Eberle
Skinner Turris Simmonds
Couturier

Giordano Brodie
Campbell Barrie
Wideman Ekblad
Rielly

Bernier
Goaltender 2
Goaltender 3

As long as I see the requisite young guys there (Seguin, Johansen, MacKinnon, Duchene, Hall) given their teams miss the playoffs I'll be happy enough with the roster.

that announcement doesn't appear to be imminent, could drag on into the summer....So, we'll probably get the same spiel from HC on Olympic Cycles. The start of a new 1 thus a whole lot of youngsters. Edmonton Oilers aside, the only 1 on your roster I'm not a fan of is Skinner. Curious to see how they apply the Sochi blueprint to a WHC team. not sure if it's possible given the circumstances...

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
that announcement doesn't appear to be imminent, could drag on into the summer....So, we'll probably get the same spiel from HC on Olympic Cycles. The start of a new 1 thus a whole lot of youngsters. Edmonton Oilers aside, the only 1 on your roster I'm not a fan of is Skinner. Curious to see how they apply the Sochi blueprint to a WHC team. not sure if it's possible given the circumstances...

The players aren't really there to do what they did in Sochi, particularly on defence. If they can expose the players to a positive experience on international ice, that's enough for me. Defensively at least Seguin knows how to play, Benn is solid, Johansen is solid, and Duchene performed well in Sochi. Giving Giordano big minutes internationally would be nice too, as he might have a future on one of the big teams at some point.

Skinner has been a bit disappointing in terms of development, but I've liked what he has brought to some past tournaments, and natural goal scoring wingers aren't that common in Canada.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The players aren't really there to do what they did in Sochi, particularly on defence. If they can expose the players to a positive experience on international ice, that's enough for me. Defensively at least Seguin knows how to play, Benn is solid, Johansen is solid, and Duchene performed well in Sochi. Giving Giordano big minutes internationally would be nice too, as he might have a future on one of the big teams at some point.

Skinner has been a bit disappointing in terms of development, but I've liked what he has brought to some past tournaments, and natural goal scoring wingers aren't that common in Canada.

I get where you're coming from re: Skinner. I liked his very first tournament, but none since except for 1 prelim game against the Finns in Helsinki. but if I see 1 more pirouette from him at the WHC I'm going to break something.

I agree with you re: the coaching. I wouldn't mind if Boucher was given a shot.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
So all the players that can come will come? Didn't see the news on it but sounds pretty sweet, I like watching the World Championships and seeing how Canada matches up without all their top players.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Awfully optimistic lineups there, fellas. I'd be thrilled if we get Johansen and two of the three Avs forwards (Duchene, O'Reilly, MacKinnon), but certainly won't count on Seguin or Benn answering the call. Or Giroux obviously. Couturier would be nice, as would Ekblad. Given recent history though I also wouldn't be surprised if none of those guys show up, and the roster is filled with plugs like last year (Chimera, Ward, etc).

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Awfully optimistic lineups there, fellas. I'd be thrilled if we get Johansen and two of the three Avs forwards (Duchene, O'Reilly, MacKinnon), but certainly won't count on Seguin or Benn answering the call. Or Giroux obviously. Couturier would be nice, as would Ekblad. Given recent history though I also wouldn't be surprised if none of those guys show up, and the roster is filled with plugs like last year (Chimera, Ward, etc).

If Dallas misses the playoffs I can't see how Seguin could refuse. He's never played for Hockey Canada in an IIHF tournament, he'll only be 23 this spring and he isn't a big enough name to be considered a lock for best on best rosters at this point. He has something to prove. That lineup is just what I would expect if everything somewhat realistic goes right for Canada. Given Giroux's Olympic snub after playing in the 2013 WC I don't expect to see him anymore.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

A little optimistic to think 3 Olympians to show up (my roster). but I'll indulge in a little optimism for now. I'm sure as April 11 approaches that will change.

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This is the thing with this tournament, we have so many rejections/injuries/playoffs that our team usually sucks monkey ****. I really really hope some of these guys answer the call and go and play, because if they don't we're going to have another team full of Chimera's.

What's funny is we could see a first line with Simmonds-Chimera-Ladd or something stupid like that...it's no wonder we don't take this tournament seriously.

Ohh and let's all hope we won't have to rely on a guy like Scrivens in a medal round game...SMH

Last edited:

86Habs

May 4, 2009
If Dallas misses the playoffs I can't see how Seguin could refuse. He's never played for Hockey Canada in an IIHF tournament, he'll only be 23 this spring and he isn't a big enough name to be considered a lock for best on best rosters at this point. He has something to prove. That lineup is just what I would expect if everything somewhat realistic goes right for Canada. Given Giroux's Olympic snub after playing in the 2013 WC I don't expect to see him anymore.

Perhaps I'm being too cynical/pessimistic, but last year's team really stunk (on paper, and on the ice) which isn't really a surprise considering it was an immediate post-Olympic tournament. The 2013 team was really good, with Giroux, Stamkos, Duchene, Eberle, Hall, Staal, Subban...essentially a tryout of sorts for the Olympic team. I agree with you re: Giroux. I also agree with you in principle of course regarding Seguin, but the cynical side of me sees a guy that has never jumped at the chance to represent Canada at any level, and am at a point with him where I'll believe it only when I see it. Maybe the opportunity to make the 2016 World Cup squad will entice him to head over to Europe this spring, but I still have my doubts given his track record.

As far as the Oilers are concerned, I'd really like to see Nugent-Hopkins head over. I still think he has a bright future. Can't recall if he was injured, or simply refused the invitation last year.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Canada'a 2015 WHC squad will be slightly better than last year's (olympic years are always notably weak), but still won't be good enough to medal.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Perhaps I'm being too cynical/pessimistic, but last year's team really stunk (on paper, and on the ice) which isn't really a surprise considering it was an immediate post-Olympic tournament. The 2013 team was really good, with Giroux, Stamkos, Duchene, Eberle, Hall, Staal, Subban...essentially a tryout of sorts for the Olympic team. I agree with you re: Giroux. I also agree with you in principle of course regarding Seguin, but the cynical side of me sees a guy that has never jumped at the chance to represent Canada at any level, and am at a point with him where I'll believe it only when I see it. Maybe the opportunity to make the 2016 World Cup squad will entice him to head over to Europe this spring, but I still have my doubts given his track record.

As far as the Oilers are concerned, I'd really like to see Nugent-Hopkins head over. I still think he has a bright future. Can't recall if he was injured, or simply refused the invitation last year.

Seguin was 1 of the final cuts for the 2010 junior team. just my opinion, but I think he was miffed at that perceived snub for quite a while. I think its time to get over it... We could have used him in the GMG against the U.S.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Seguin was 1 of the final cuts for the 2010 junior team. just my opinion, but I think he was miffed at that perceived snub for quite a while. I think its time to get over it... We could have used him in the GMG against the U.S.

Yes, its indeed time for him to get over it. A lot of these kids have gotten cut at the World Junior camps, and have gone on to play for Team Canada at various international tournaments (Matt Duchene is a name that comes to mind immediately).

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Last year the Oilers said they were going to decide as a group (Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, maybe Schultz) and then said no. So basically, they emulated a bunch of teen girls deciding if they wanted to go to the bathroom or not. It was a joke that they refused last
year.

Yes Seguin should have made that team (he sucked in the camp though) but it is time to get over it, if that is his issue. His refusals to attend in 2012 and 2014 were both very weak.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Last year the Oilers said they were going to decide as a group (Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, maybe Schultz) and then said no. So basically, they emulated a bunch of teen girls deciding if they wanted to go to the bathroom or not. It was a joke that they refused last year.

I wasn't aware that it was an Oilers group decision - I agree with your views and changes my perception somewhat of RNH (it doesn't surprise me with the others, though). One that can only hope that McDavid doesn't get caught up in that disaster in Edmonton.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I wasn't aware that it was an Oilers group decision - I agree with your views and changes my perception somewhat of RNH (it doesn't surprise me with the others, though). One that can only hope that McDavid doesn't get caught up in that disaster in Edmonton.

I think Tavares has and will have more of an influence on McDavid going forward. They have been in contact ever since the Mentorship game back in ????? (whenever it was) JT was the coach guided him along a little bit as McD got set for his OHL debut. The two share exceptional status experience...

but yes, as much as I would like to see a player like McDavid stay in Canada, I'd rather he not play in Edmonton.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I can see HockeyCanada considering McDavid if he's available (which would be a good option imo), but it's questionable whether they would risk a possible injury before the draft or not. Hey, wouldn't be interesting to see McDavid with Hall and Eberle for example? :naughty: just kidding

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I can see HockeyCanada considering McDavid if he's available (which would be a good option imo), but it's questionable whether they would risk a possible injury before the draft or not. Hey, wouldn't be interesting to see McDavid with Hall and Eberle for example? :naughty: just kidding

It's not unprecedented to take an undrafted player to the WHC. The Curious case of Ryan Murray from a few years ago where the Edmonton Brass used Team Canada as a scouting trip when they were confronted with the Yakupov v Murray decision. I'm still surprised there wasn't more of a stink made about that...I guess it demonstrates just how insignificant we consider the Skodas to be.

the chances of McDavid being available are 50/50. I think the Generals will beat out the Otters in the OHL final. (but that's going to be 1 hell of a series) just a matter of scheduling...but I believe the Knights complained last year that there was too much of a layoff from the time the OHL Championship series was decided to the beginning of the Mem. Cup and therefore we got the late start to the OHL season this year...thus the OHL championship series this year could very well be ongoing the 1st week of May...therefor even if he were to become available, there's no chance HC makes him a late addition and flying him in to play in a tournament already in progress.

If he's available, I'm all for him making the trek to Europe.

p.s. I'm sure Eichel will be playing... so another match up would certainly fuel some WHC interest on this side of the pond.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Looking at the current NHL-standings:

Benn - Seguin - Giroux
Huberdeau - RNH - MacKinnon
Henrique - Johansen - Hoffman
Domi - Reinhart - Duclair (why not?)

Giordano - Brodie
Ekblad - Barrie
Gelinas - Severson
Spurgeon - Scandella

Going young....

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Why not add a few Canadians playing in Europe?

Nigel Dawes and Dustin Boyd are playing excellent in Barys Astana in the KHL and Pierre-Marc Bouchard seems to be doing great in Zug in Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->