WC: 2015 — Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
God damn it. Canada have scored 16 goals now and Seguin is still without a point.

Guys at work will laugh their ***** off at my prediction :laugh:

He seriously looks hungover.

Maybe next time Canada will pick Seguin for the Olympics and not screw him over.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm beginning to see Edmonton's problem.

Hall and Eberle are exquisitely skilled but boy do they fire the puck into open areas and across the ice a lot without looking.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Couldnt watch the game, so gotta ask. How did Mackinnon do in this game? After all a super talent playing with Crosby and no points = is something wrong?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Agree... and it was discussed the day it was made, by you, me + others.

What I don't quite get is, why Hockey Canada felt it necessary to even register Schenn. You don't have to register a player until you absolutely have to play him. A player could be with the team as a non-registered player. J.T. or some other A-lister becomes available and he replaces him and there's no wasted roster spot. Yes, it sucks for a player like Schenn, but that's the life of a hockey player. Hockey Canada is not in the business of providing Kodak memories for the family scrapbook. I'd be more sympathetic if we were on a three year gold medal run, but we're not.

It's all irrelevant anyway, the only spots left are for a d-man and goalie. So, I hope Brodie is up for a flight to Europe in a few days.

It would be a poor practice for Hockey Canada to take a player to Europe only to send him home once a better option becomes available. An organization just can't run that way. This isn't for a big prize or anything. They need to generate goodwill with the players, and often times players rave about how well they are treated by Hockey Canada. If they start treating players lie crap, participation in this thing would get even worse.

Subban is a player worth keeping in mind. Montreal looks like garbage against Tampa Bay, and I recall Subban being flown in immediately after Montreal's elimination from the 2013 playoffs so that he could play for Canada in the quarter finals.

Aceonfire*

Hall and Eberle are exquisitely skilled but boy do they fire the puck into open areas and across the ice a lot without looking.

Sure. But they produce and have been doing very well. Sometimes it burns them and sometimes it doesn't. I see Crosby and Spezza doing this also. A bunch of high end players do.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
It would be a poor practice for Hockey Canada to take a player to Europe only to send him home once a better option becomes available. An organization just can't run that way. This isn't for a big prize or anything. They need to generate goodwill with the players, and often times players rave about how well they are treated by Hockey Canada. If they start treating players lie crap, participation in this thing would get even worse.

Subban is a player worth keeping in mind. Montreal looks like garbage against Tampa Bay, and I recall Subban being flown in immediately after Montreal's elimination from the 2013 playoffs so that he could play for Canada in the quarter finals.

You don't have to do it every year, but when you really want to pull one out, you have to go all in. plus you don't have to send him home. Schenn and his significant other get a paid vacation in Europe for 3 weeks. It's a good deal. You just have to know how to manage the roster a little better...know which players may or may not become available. Next year is a late start to the tournament anyway. We may be close to the end of the 2nd round before the tournament starts in Moscow/SPb.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You don't have to do it every year, but when you really want to pull one out, you have to go all in. plus you don't have to send him home. Schenn and his significant other get a paid vacation in Europe for 3 weeks. It's a good deal. You just have to know how to manage the roster a little better...know which players may or may not become available. Next year is a late start to the tournament anyway. We may be close to the end of the 2nd round before the tournament starts in Moscow/SPb.

More careful in construction yes, but you really can't cut a guy like that. That makes the organization look bad. There really should be a Tavares spot though, reserved for him in the event that the Islanders don't go deep.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg

How many times does it have to be said? Hall and Eberle are the LEAST of Edmonton's problems. The Oilers' problems are that they have an awful defensive core (worst in the league actually), bad goaltending and a lack of depth at the forward position.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
How many times does it have to be said? Hall and Eberle are the LEAST of Edmonton's problems. The Oilers' problems are that they have an awful defensive core (worst in the league actually), bad goaltending and a lack of depth at the forward position.
When everyone is healthy they actually have pretty good bottom 6 depth. Goaltending is an issue but the main thing is d. once we get some quality defenders everything else will improve.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
When everyone is healthy they actually have pretty good bottom 6 depth. Goaltending is an issue but the main thing is d. once we get some quality defenders everything else will improve.

As it stands the third line is awful (Lander notwithstanding). The Oilers' top-six depth is especially bad, and it will be worse if Roy doesn't re-sign. Hopefully Chiarelli finds a couple of competent middle-sixers in the offseason. (Now we're getting a little off-topic, sorry folks.)

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
They wouldn't get pass Chicago IMO.

I think Tampa could do some damage against them too... and the Rangers...

Basically any team that can exploit that D and what we're pretending to call goaltending for this tournament...

This Canada team is pretty much built to run and gun I think.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014

You don't embarrass volunteers.

Period.

You take guys who want to play, and you're playing with fire waiting too long.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Ryan O’Reilly and Cody Eakins both looked really good out there. O’Reilly especially

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
I think Tampa could do some damage against them too... and the Rangers...

Basically any team that can exploit that D and what we're pretending to call goaltending for this tournament...

This Canada team is pretty much built to run and gun I think.

I think if this team played a full 82 game sched they would run over the league. Just way way too strong up front, and a solid though unspectacular D core. Cros Seguin Giroux Hall + like 8 other top 6ers? Filthy.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I think if this team played a full 82 game sched they would run over the league. Just way way too strong up front, and a solid though unspectacular D core. Cros Seguin Giroux Hall + like 8 other top 6ers? Filthy.

Yeah it depends too if we're talking regular season or playoff hockey.
In a seven game series, there's definite weaknesses that'd be exposed... though you're going to have every line being dangerous.

Over an 82 game season, they'd definitely be candidates for the President's Trophy despite the goaltending situation.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Anyone have any opinions on Wiercioch? Is he keeping up his strong play from the second half of the season and playoffs? Is he good enough to be there? I know hes played fairly limited minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad