WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec 3, 2012
Yes, agreed. If Groulx is modelling this line off the Getzlaf-Perry-Benn line from 2014, he's forgetting that Getzlaf is one of the top playmakers in the world that can significantly improve the games of his linemates and Gauthier, well...isn't. This line would be an elite possession line, in theory, but they could probably get more out of Virtanen if they paired him up with a playmaking center. I'd drop Point down with Crouse & Gauthier on a 4th line, which would introduce a good offensive dimension to that line without sacrificing much in defensive play.

I'm hoping they cut Ritchie. Discipline is obviously the issue with him, and we've gotten ourselves in trouble in the past with guys like Jenner who cross the line at this level of competition and with IIHF refereeing. I'm fairly indifferent as to who the other forward cut is, but its shaping up as someone from the Chartier/Dickinson/Paul group. I'd lean towards cutting Chartier, just to maintain Dickinson's versatility in the forward group and Paul's size/defensive play if they do end up cutting Ritchie.

Gauthier's playmaking abilities are his main offensive assets. If you had watch him sometimes this year you would notice this.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Bad news for Team Canada, Canuck bias aside.
Horvat is a terrific, big shut-down centre who is amazing in the faceoff circle.
Not sure Canada has someone else who can do that.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Gauthier's playmaking abilities are his main offensive assets. If you had watch him sometimes this year you would notice this.

Playmaking is my main offensive asset, doesn't make it really good...

For me I just think that Virtanen and Team Canada could benefit more if Virtanen is paired with one of McDavid/Reinhart/Petan as his center.

As I said previously, the top 2 lines are a bit on the small side, it be nice to spread the size around to all the lines a bit more than just focusing it on 2 lines as the current setup has it.

86Habs

May 4, 2009

[mod]

Gauthier will not be on the team for his offense, he'll be there for his size, defensive play, and faceoff ability. He has a very limited offensive repertoire and he should be deployed to his strengths. Same goes for Virtanen - he's an offensive player, with great speed and shooting ability; he should be paired with a center with the vision and skill to get him the puck at opportune times, which maximizes his skillset. Which is not a knock at Gauthier, who's good at what he does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
Just because I hate the practice lines:

Robbie Fabbri - Connor McDavid - Jake Virtanen
Max Domi - Sam Reinhart - Anthony Duclair
Michael Dal Colle - Nic Petan - Nick Ritchie
Nick Paul - Frederik Gauthier - Braydon Point
Lawson Crouse

Those top 2 lines are insane offensively. The 3rd line has a very nice mix. Dal Colle is the sniper, Petan the playmaker and Ritchie the physical beast(hoping he can stay out of the box). The 4th line is the "defensive line". Although they can more than hold up their own offensively. Crouse can take Ritchie's spot if he is too undisciplined.

Primetimey*

because dickinson is still with Dallas? Whoever makes it will most likely be playing on the 4th line so hardly a "big" mistake. Right now from watching the games and following along every step of the way I would give the edge to paul right now if it comes down to the two, fairly easily and the only horse i have in this race is Canada

Not the reason at all. If Paul was still a Dallas prospect I would say Dickinson over Paul AINEC. You want a versatile (Left Wing, Center, Right Wing), defensive minded player in that fourth line/13th forward role you take Dickinson over Paul.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not the reason at all. If Paul was still a Dallas prospect I would say Dickinson over Paul AINEC. You want a versatile (Left Wing, Center, Right Wing), defensive minded player in that fourth line/13th forward role you take Dickinson over Paul.

Paul is everything that you just described except he's 6'3, 220lbs and has been the better offensive player of the two this season.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
What? I fully meant the 2006 WJC team that featured Downey and Comeau as the leaders up front and romped through the competition.

The 06' team has nothing on the 05', or were you too young for it, look it up.

Last edited:

crayzy8

Jul 7, 2009
Carleton Place
With all the injuries Ottawa has incurred, looks like Lazar may not be available to Team Canada. This kid, although he has yet to score has been playing very well all over the ice. With Neil and Smith out Lazar is the team leader in hits. Only a matter of time before he nets his first in the NHL

Primetimey*

Paul is everything that you just described except he's 6'3, 220lbs and has been the better offensive player of the two this season.

Paul is not as versatile changing over the to right side or playing wing as Dickinson is. Paul can move around, sure, any player can but when Paul is at the top of his game and most effective he is in the center of the ice.

Paul might be everything I described but Dickinson does it better. Also, if you want to compare statistics look at their entire career it isn't even close.

U18 experience, Mem cup experience, Guelph captain.. I take Dickinson 10 times out of 10.

member 147413

I'm a Leafs fan, I'm critical of Gauthier's game and I'm not a big fan of the Leafs picking him over some others in the draft, but man is he ever underrated.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Bad news for Team Canada, Canuck bias aside.
Horvat is a terrific, big shut-down centre who is amazing in the faceoff circle.
Not sure Canada has someone else who can do that.

They actually have several players that can fill that role. Horvat might have been the smallest centre if he made the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad