WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherStriker

Jul 31, 2010
Checked out the practice today and spoke with a few players (media). McDavid was between Fabbri and Petan while Gauthier was centering Crouse and Virtanen.

Sam Morin is absolutely huge and his stride is fantastic for such a tall player. Id love to see him on Canada with Heatherington on the bottom pairing/PK.

Only four right handed shots on this team though...

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014
Horvat is probably in the upper half of size in the NHL among forwards. He'd probably be one of the bulkiest forwards in the WJC

Smitty137

Mar 14, 2013
Nova Scotia
Gauthier is very fast. He may not have great acceleration or agility but he can really fly. Working with Barb Underhill has made him a much improved skater

I have seen him at least 10 times this year, I would not call him "very fast" or even fast but I do thin its unfair to call him slow, he's pretty average for a guy his size. The problem is his lack of acceleration really hurts his offence and ability to stay with shift smaller skilled players on the rush. That being said I still think he makes the team based on his sound positioning and defensive play.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
It's unbelievable how bad the Canucks are so hated here, that some people will go all out to say something negative about even a player who will not be on the team.

Horvat 6'0 205
Reinhart 6'1 185
McDavid 6'1 190...
Petan 5'9 ??????

Yea... Horvat is so small........

Except even that is wrong. Horvat was 211 lbs at the combine when he was drafted.

He would've been the biggest centre on this team. Who the hell said he's small? :laugh:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
On pace for 3 goals and what 15 points. I'm sure we'll get another press release thursday similar to Vancouver's and then when both teams are eliminated early in the playoffs come april, ''Well, shouldn't we have sent him.''

I doubt heavily but I hope Lazar is loaned, Horvat is decent, but Lazar would make much more of an impact.

Horvat would have been one of, if not the best penalty killers on the team, and would have taken most defensive zone face-offs.

Clearly you haven't watched team Canada at the tournament the past couple of years because they take more penalty's than most teams by a LARGE margin.

(if the summer camp is any indication hopefully Domi and Richie can keep their cools)

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
You are overrating the value of world junior gold. This isnt the olympics. These guys are getting paid over $10,000 PER game in the NHL. They dont care about the world juniors. 20 years from now no one will talk about your world junior championship win. No one brags about world junior wins. Do you think the big time stars in the NHL right now brag about their world junior golds? Its nice, its a nice accomplishment, BUT THE GOAL is to be in the NHL. If you win the memorial cup that wont mean anything if you dont win the Stanley Cup.

Disagree. It doesn't matter who would remember that gold in the future. I would. See Duclair who's pretty excited.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Disagree. It doesn't matter who would remember that gold in the future. I would. See Duclair who's pretty excited.

Depends on the player. Horvat has already played in the WJs and 3 Memorial Cups. He's been on a "big stage" against the best Junior players quite a bit. Right now he's feels that it's more important that he get accustomed to the NHL game and the Canucks agree.

What's important to note is that Horvat is a player who excels mostly in a structured system. In short tournaments with new linemates, the experience is not as valuable IMO.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Depends on the player. Horvat has already played in the WJs and 3 Memorial Cups. He's been on a "big stage" against the best Junior players quite a bit. Right now he's feels that it's more important that he get accustomed to the NHL game and the Canucks agree.

What's important to note is that Horvat is a player who excels mostly in a structured system. In short tournaments with new linemates, the experience is not as valuable IMO.
That's true and I can understand that, especially for players like Horvat/Drouin (it would've been 2nd/3rd WJrs for them).

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
You are overrating the value of world junior gold. This isnt the olympics. These guys are getting paid over $10,000 PER game in the NHL. They dont care about the world juniors. 20 years from now no one will talk about your world junior championship win. No one brags about world junior wins. Do you think the big time stars in the NHL right now brag about their world junior golds? Its nice, its a nice accomplishment, BUT THE GOAL is to be in the NHL. If you win the memorial cup that wont mean anything if you dont win the Stanley Cup.

Looks like someone didn't get the memo on what it means to get the chance to play for their country.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
I think that NHL teams unless you're dominating, or have done it in the past (MacKinnon, Ekblad, etc) should lend the junior players to the teams. Now I understand you don't want a guy to get hurt playing for a team other than your own, but how awesome would it be to look back in 20 years and say you won a gold medal at the WJHC (assuming the players win) 5-10 NHL games in the grand scheme of things isn't much. I don't fault the teams for not lending the players, but if it was me, I'd tell them to play.

Okay, now put yourself in the owners shoes. If said player can make the difference of winning just one game during the tournament, there is no way they loan them. That could be the difference between making the playoffs and not. Then think about the revenue generated for each playoff game. It's all dollars and cents. Nothing more. If player is helping the team win, he stays.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Okay, now put yourself in the owners shoes. If said player can make the difference of winning just one game during the tournament, there is no way they loan them. That could be the difference between making the playoffs and not. Then think about the revenue generated for each playoff game. It's all dollars and cents. Nothing more. If player is helping the team win, he stays.

So international tourney games, what few their are, aren't as important as 1 NHL regular season game, of which there are many, news to me.

rhinomark50

Aug 22, 2014
So international tourney games, what few their are, aren't as important as 1 NHL regular season game, of which there are many, news to me.

What does an NHL Owner care about international tournament games for? They don't make them money, they don't get them any closer to playing in the playoffs, and they don't have the kids playing with the best players in the world on a nightly basis (I realize that it is the best of the age group, but there is a huge difference). If a player is in the lineup on a routine basis, they're obviously doing something to help the team out, so there is no reason to loan them.

Duclair was sitting more than playing, so there is no harm in loaning him. Horvat, Lazar, Drouin all play most nights and contribute in one way or another. World Juniors are great, but the NHL is where these guys want to be.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

It's really a win/win situation for the players. They'd be excited no matter the decision. The end goal is to play in the NHL, not play in the World Jrs. But the World Jrs has become such a big deal for Canada that playing for Canada in the World Jrs is definately something players now dream and strive for.

Both sides of the coin are great opportunities.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
It's unbelievable how bad the Canucks are so hated here, that some people will go all out to say something negative about even a player who will not be on the team.

Horvat 6'0 205
Reinhart 6'1 185
McDavid 6'1 190...
Petan 5'9 ??????

Yea... Horvat is so small........
I really don't get why you are quoting me when I agree with you..

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
What does an NHL Owner care about international tournament games for? They don't make them money, they don't get them any closer to playing in the playoffs, and they don't have the kids playing with the best players in the world on a nightly basis (I realize that it is the best of the age group, but there is a huge difference). If a player is in the lineup on a routine basis, they're obviously doing something to help the team out, so there is no reason to loan them.

Duclair was sitting more than playing, so there is no harm in loaning him. Horvat, Lazar, Drouin all play most nights and contribute in one way or another. World Juniors are great, but the NHL is where these guys want to be.

Missing a couple NHL games isn't that big a deal, especially if these guys are playing no more than 10 minutes a game, or are healthy scratches some nights, it's not like they have a huge impact on the team, they are just starting out in the league and are a long way from being impact players, playing 1 tourney for a couple of weeks isn't really going to make a difference on their NHL careers, they will be back in the NHL after a great experience, so they don't have anything to worry about.

However playing for their country, in what might be their only chance to do so is. I do agree though that players who have played in the WJC, don't have to play it again, just saying that for the guys who haven't, like Duclair, that it would be good for them.

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
Checked out the practice today and spoke with a few players (media). McDavid was between Fabbri and Petan while Gauthier was centering Crouse and Virtanen.

Sam Morin is absolutely huge and his stride is fantastic for such a tall player. Id love to see him on Canada with Heatherington on the bottom pairing/PK.

Only four right handed shots on this team though...

Looks like the coach wants to run checking & scoring lines again :shakehead
They really should be spreading out there offensive players instead of loading up the top 2 lines.

McDavid
Reinhart
Petan

That should be the top 3 centers really don't see the point at moving Petan to the wing and having a guy like Gauthier or Paul center the 3rd line

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012

For most of these players, this will be their last chance to wear a Team Canada jersey. Majority of the players who play in this tournament never get the chance again, and most of them will never win a Stanley Cup. The goal is to be in the NHL, but at the end of your career don't you think it'd be nice to look back on the Gold Medal you have?

This is exactly why I would want to play, I couldn't care less if anyone remembers when I won the gold medal. I'd always have that medal, it'd be special to me.

If a kid is playing 3rd/4th line minutes each night, then they aren't making a HUGE impact on the games. They obviously help you win, but they likely aren't the difference in them winning and losing. Obviously I have different views than most people in regards to the World Juniors, so I'll just have to agree to disagree on the matter.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Fabbri - McDavid - Duclair
Point - Reinhart - Domi
Dal Colle - Petan - Paul
Ritchie - Gauthier - Virtanen
Crouse

Fleury - Morrissey
Nurse - Bowey
Hicketts - Theodore
Morin

Fucale
Comrie

Switch Virtanen and Paul and I am a pretty big fan of this lineup. Also would not mind seeing Chartier over Crouse, but I imagine in this situation HC will go with the bigger player. Which makes sense, because it is not like we have guys suspended almost every year for some stupid, massive hit..

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It isn't just missing a couple of games... I think Lazar would miss 7 games for Ottawa il

DoubleDouble*

Crouse - Gauthier - Virtanen would be excited to watch. Canada used to have lines like this. Perfect to play against the 2nd/3rd lines of the opposition.

Who are our best PKers?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It isn't just missing a couple of games... I think Lazar would miss 7 games for Ottawa il

Pageau and Prince are both playing really well they wont miss a beat by having either one of those guys come up and take his place. I really think it would be great for him to go down there and play in the tournament. Its not like its going to Europe or something its an hour and a half drive from Ottawa to Montreal and 4 hours to Toronto. On a flight you blink and you're there.

It would also really help the team to have Lazar, he will be a bull out there and create tons of room for his linemates. Would be a great guy to play with Mcdavid (foreshadowing perhaps)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad