2014 Offseason Free Agent and Trade Talk V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
They want to move up into the Top 3, as they'd like to get their hands on one of those big 3 pieces they believe could be building blocks.

They've placed official offers, but at this point they are not "acceptable" but that could change on the draft floor.

They've also got interest in NYI's pick at #5 if it comes at a reasonable cost, with that said they believe they can get a very good player with high end talent at #8.

So they're very content on staying where they are.

Thanks for the Info!

Anything on Phaneuf?

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
They want to move up into the Top 3, as they'd like to get their hands on one of those big 3 pieces they believe could be building blocks.

They've placed official offers, but at this point they are not "acceptable" but that could change on the draft floor.

They've also got interest in NYI's pick at #5 if it comes at a reasonable cost, with that said they believe they can get a very good player with high end talent at #8.

Thanks Chuck.

Would you say that re-signing Gardiner indicates that they're planning on keeping him?

Jacob8hockey*

Any idea on what the package is or how badly they want to move up?

Come draft day, from what you've heard, would you say 50/50 they pick at 8?

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Barkov, Bjugstad, Huberdeau, Shore.

Something tells me they aren't asking for Kadri..

Tallon is infact on record saying that he wants some wingers, why not just convert Kadri to a winger? It's not as if he is any good on the faceoff circle.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007

This sounds like we are standing pat?
That does not sound good at all.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I am mostly curious if we will offer 3.4m to Franson making any offer sheet responsible to compensate us with a 1st and 2nd.

Edit: think we can offer lower and he an take it to arbitration or another team can attempt to offer sheet him at which time we can match it.

Last edited:

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Thanks Chuck.

Would you say that re-signing Gardiner indicates that they're planning on keeping him?

I think its fair that they'd like to keep him if they can.

Regardless he'll have to be signed to a reasonable contract even if he is included in a package deal this Friday.

But they still want to get him signed to a reasonable deal since they're not selling him "low" since they do value what he brings to the table.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

I have a sad feeling that "acceptable" from the Leafs is higher than from any other team.

Do you believe there is any scenario that has us acquire one of the higher picks, and retaining the #8 pick?

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I am mostly curious if we will offer 3.4m to Franson making any offer sheet responsible to compensate us with a 1st and 2nd.

Edit: think we can offer lower and he an take it to arbitration or another team can attempt to offer sheet him at which time we can match it.

I'd rather just deal him, or his rights and not have any more dealings with his contract demands

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I'd rather just deal him, or his rights and not have any more dealings with his contract demands

Agreed, his not worth the hassle. It's clear he needs sheltered minutes to succeed.

Hopefully we can get high 2nd pick for him.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
I have a sad feeling that "acceptable" from the Leafs is higher than from any other team.

Do you believe there is any scenario that has us acquire one of the higher picks, and retaining the #8 pick?

I would have to believe that would involve either (or more than one) Phaneuf, JVR, Kadri, or Gardiner.
I think the scenario exists, it's rather a question of it being worthwhile for us.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This sounds like we are standing pat?
That does not sound good at all.

What do you think Florida would offer for Phaneuf vs. what NYI would offer?
Would you rather move Phaneuf, the 8th, Kadri for Ekblad or Phaneuf, Kadri for Strome and the 5th. We keep the 8th.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
What do you think Florida would offer for Phaneuf vs. what NYI would offer?
Would you rather move Phaneuf, the 8th, Kadri for Ekblad or Phaneuf, Kadri for Strome and the 5th. We keep the 8th.

Geez, is that the asking price?
I would not to Phaneuf + Kadri + 8th for the 1st. Massive overpayment.
I would rather do Phaneuf and Kadri for Strome and 5th.

Edit: With Dmen disappearing off the market (Nikitin, Markov), I have a feeling Phaneuf and Franson's value are increasing.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I would have to believe that would involve either (or more than one) Phaneuf, JVR, Kadri, or Gardiner.
I think the scenario exists, it's rather a question of it being worthwhile for us.

...what if we offered Dion, and Holland for #3 ...that gives the Oilers the top pair d-man, and still lets them trade Gagner and slot in Holland at the #2 slot, or keep Gagner, and Holland in the #3 slot

Dion for #5 should be an easy yes for the Isles too ...I'd even toss in Lupul for some 2nds :D

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
...what if we offered Dion, and Holland for #3 ...that gives the Oilers the top pair d-man, and still lets them trade Gagner and slot in Holland at the #2 slot, or keep Gagner, and Holland in the #3 slot

Dion for #5 should be an easy yes for the Isles too ...I'd even toss in Lupul for some 2nds :D

An NHL all star alt captain ppg player the 2 seasons prior for a couple of 2nds?

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I think its fair that they'd like to keep him if they can.

Regardless he'll have to be signed to a reasonable contract even if he is included in a package deal this Friday.

But they still want to get him signed to a reasonable deal since they're not selling him "low" since they do value what he brings to the table.

Just stop and think for a second. Don't know where you get your info but if there was the slightest possibility at all that he's moved why would Gardiner's agent for one second even listen to offers in re-signing let alone negotiate when he could do that with his new team.... If they're negotiating a new contract I would say he's a lock in not going anywhere any time soon

Jacob8hockey*

Just stop and think for a second. Don't know where you get your info but if there was the slightest possibility at all that he's moved why would Gardiner's agent for one second even listen to offers in re-signing let alone negotiate when he could do that with his new team.... If they're negotiating a new contract I would say he's a lock in not going anywhere any time soon

Because if the Leafs and him don't negotiate a contract he doesn't play next year and the Leafs could say sign a contract by ______ date because we need to budget our team for other players or you don't play at all.

Gardiner and his agent aren't going to take hypothetical situations too seriously and the pay won't change much team to team either.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
If people only want boyle to mentor the kids, Mitchell does it better at 3-4x2 or 3x3 than boyle does at 5-6-7(?)x2 .... boyle only makes sense if phaneuf is on the block and not even then because how many 37yo defencemen do you really want? Just another crazy deadline day hype signing.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Moving from 7 to 5 cost us a 2nd and third IIRC (L. Schenn, trade with Islanders) last time. Price is likely similar this time. If one of the Sams or Draisatl is still available I do it.

leafsrock67

Tank Nation Member
Mar 25, 2014
We will never win with present lineup..Yes we can improve yes, but won the cup?? seriously

Trade #1

Phaneuf to Edmonton
3rd to Leafs

Trade # 2
Lupol to a top 6 team
1st

Trade # 3
Kessel to NYI
1ST + Reinhardt

Draft Picks
3rd
5th
8th
27th

Draft
Leon
Ritchie
Ehlers
Unknown

I would not do the Kessel trade. 3 first rd picks are enough for a team that is not in the complete rebuild phase (if we make the other trades). if we made the kessel trade though, dont draft ritchie, draft MDC (dal colle).

Jacob8hockey*

If people only want boyle to mentor the kids, Mitchell does it better at 3-4x2 or 3x3 than boyle does at 5-6-7(?)x2 .... boyle only makes sense if phaneuf is on the block and not even then because how many 37yo defencemen do you really want? Just another crazy deadline day hype signing.

5x2 for a 37 yr old Dan Boyle is respectable. Its clearly no long term solution but for the style of game he plays his age won't affect him that much.

All he really does is give us a temporary RHD for 2 years so the young guys can develop and gives Rielly and Gardiner a chance to feed everything they can off him.

JMcLeaf

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 24s
Agent for Jay McClement says there have been no talks with Leafs and none are planned at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad