2014 Offseason Free Agent and Trade Talk V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Albert Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

Think about this quote for a second and ask yourself, isn't that what the Leafs keep doing again and again ?

101796-o.jpg

I agree how ever with your point ;)

Previous Thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1689599

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyler Biggs*

They need a true number one and there are some available. Get 'er done!

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Offseason 2014

Let all our UFA's walk

Sign Cammalleri, Michalek, Moore, Boyle, Emery

Trades...

1)
To Col: D.Phaneuf + P.Holland + 4th in 2014
To Tor: R.O'Reilly + D.Siemens
2)
To Wpg: N.Kadri + J.Reimer
To Tor: Z.Bogosian
3)
To NYi: J.van Riemsdyk + 8th overall
To Tor: R.Strome + M.Martin + 5th overall + rights to D.Boyle
4)
To Edm: C.Ashton + C.Franson + 5th overall
To Tor: 3rd overall (S.Bennett)

Lineup

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Michalek-O'Reilly-Cammalleri
Martin-Strome-Clarkson
Komarov-Moore-Hartikainen

Gardiner-Bogosian
Reilly-Boyle
Gunnarsson-Granberg

Bernier
Emery

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Gardiner + 8th + B prospect + rights to reimer for E. Kane

i know people aren't going to be happy about dealing gardiner, but kane can fill the RW spot on the second line. and pushing clarkson to the third line.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel

Lupul - Kadri - Kane

*drool*

jaguars-fan-gif.gif

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
:laugh: I mainly wanted to use that gif because I absolutely love it, but I find that to be a massive over payment.

hmm, ic. apparently elliot friedman said it would take a lot to get kane out of the peg, and i love kane, so i thought i'd take a stab at a proposal.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ok for fun who would consider this.
Toronto has the 8th.
Washington was rumoured to have interest in Phaneuf.
To Washington: Phaneuf
To Toronto: Johansson,Orlov,1st rd pick (13)

Then the Stars would like a 2nd line center.
To Dallas: Kadri,Gardiner(uh-oh people won't like that)
To Toronto: Chiasson,1st rd pick (14),2nd rd pick

Stepping in next year: Johansson,Chiasson,Orlov
Now Toronto has 8,13,14
Ehlers
Then draft Fabbri,McCann

We have just added a host of top end forward talent that's lacking.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Ok for fun who would consider this.
Toronto has the 8th.
Washington was rumoured to have interest in Phaneuf.
To Washington: Phaneuf
To Toronto: Johansson,Orlov,1st rd pick (13)

Then the Stars would like a 2nd line center.
To Dallas: Kadri,Gardiner(uh-oh people won't like that)
To Toronto: Chiasson,1st rd pick (14),2nd rd pick

Stepping in next year: Johansson,Chiasson,Orlov
Now Toronto has 8,13,14
Ehlers
Then draft Fabbri,McCann

We have just added a host of top end forward talent that's lacking.

washington trade is a yes from me, but a big no to the dallas trade.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
From San Jose ...

Fan 960 had a contact out of San Jose on, and he was saying that they are going into a retool phase, that they are (IIRC exact term) now a tomorrow team.

Report was that Marleau and Thornton have been told they could stay, but would be getting 3rd. line minutes as they bring in the youngsters and start building for the future.

Apparently, it is up to the players whether they want to stay under those terms.

So the question is now what kind of team is Shanahan going to build? Is he interested in the playoffs, or is he interested in a retool, a rebuild, or a reload, each of which could determine whether he'd have interest in someone like JT or PM.

I'd think Toronto would be a tough sell for either one, and again as I said above, what is the direction Shanahan is pointing?

Some talk Joe would go to NY Rangers.

Would that means they have to unload one of their big contracts?

Could Kadri work with Nash?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
From San Jose ...

Fan 960 had a contact out of San Jose on, and he was saying that they are going into a retool phase, that they are (IIRC exact term) now a tomorrow team.

Report was that Marleau and Thornton have been told they could stay, but would be getting 3rd. line minutes as they bring in the youngsters and start building for the future.

Apparently, it is up to the players whether they want to stay under those terms.

So the question is now what kind of team is Shanahan going to build? Is he interested in the playoffs, or is he interested in a retool, a rebuild, or a reload, each of which could determine whether he'd have interest in someone like JT or PM.

I'd think Toronto would be a tough sell for either one, and again as I said above, what is the direction Shanahan is pointing?

Wouldn't they just buy out Brad Richards? I don't want Nash and the Rags wouldn't get rid of him because Thornton/Nash have chemistry playing together.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
From San Jose ...

For the love of God, please no Nash and please no more wingers until we upgrade the Center and Defense positions.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Intresting comment and maybe a reason, why so few star players sign here.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/19/fiery-brian-burke-pulls-no-punches-on-toronto-media

Shannon suggested that some players would never agree to play in Toronto, largely because of the media scrutiny. The others on the panel agreed.

“You’d have to ask the players that are coming here. Or not coming,” said Phaneuf, who has often found himself in the fans’ doghouse in T.O. “But I’ll tell you one thing: If I had the opportunity to come here, I would come here in a heartbeat. Because I’ve played here, I’ve seen it, I’ve been in the Canadian market my whole career. It’s kind of flip-flopped. Burkie’s now in Calgary. I was in Calgary. I saw the media, how it was out there. The difference between other Canadian markets and here is that there’s more cameras. If there’s five in Calgary, there’s 25 in a scrum in Toronto. And that’s just the way it is and something you have to deal with being a player here in Toronto.”

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Wouldn't they just buy out Brad Richards? I don't want Nash and the Rags wouldn't get rid of him because Thornton/Nash have chemistry playing together.

Excellent point.

Without knowing what Shanahan is doing ...

Rangers look like they have 1 more compliance buy-out.

Richards more about 4.5 for the next 6 years, perhaps a floor team would like his contract?

I'd rather have the left coast Richards anyway.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I was thinking more along the lines of saving the Rangers some money, not taking all of it.

If only the Leafs had a winger that was effective in NYish that they could exchange?

Clarkson would be an excellent replacement for Callahan :)

Orbital

Sep 10, 2009
Denver,CO
WIN: Phaneuf+Reimer+Lupul
TO: 9rd pick+Bogosian

8th & 9th + Franson flip to Florida for 1st

JvR Bozak Kessel
Cammalleri Kadri Callahan
Leivo Holland Clarkson
Ross Ott Orr

Gunnarson Bogosian
Ekblad Gardiner
Reilly Nilsson
Percy

Flame away!

Last edited:

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
We should not be adding a high salary winger like Marleau, E.Kane or Nash no matter how tempting...

With Clarkson making 5 mil likely being our 3rd line RW, we need a cheap option.. Leivo and Holland would work to me... Save our 8th overall draft pick(Ehlers) until we are contenders(should be sooner then some might think) and his entry level deal will be a steal.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
We should not be adding a high salary winger like Marleau, E.Kane or Nash no matter how tempting...

With Clarkson making 5 mil likely being our 3rd line RW, we need a cheap option.. Leivo and Holland would work to me... Save our 8th overall draft pick(Ehlers) until we are contenders(should be sooner then some might think) and his entry level deal will be a steal.

The difference between E Kane and the others is that the others have already peaked. I'd add E Kane in a new York second if the price was reasonable.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
WIN: Phaneuf+Franson+Reimer
TO: 9rd pick+Bogosian

8th & 9th + Lupul flip to Florida for 1st

JvR Bozak Kessel
Cammalleri Kadri Callahan
Leivo Holland Clarkson
Ross Ott Orr

Gunnarson Bogosian
Ekblad Gardiner
Reilly Nilsson
Percy

Flame away!

I'm not flaming by any means, but I would sooner keep one of those picks and trade the other if possible for a pick next year from a team who might miss the playoffs, or even if they make them, won't win anything. Win, Pho, Colo ( i think they drop next year) ect.

CaymanIslands

Apr 12, 2014
Cayman Islands
3 Leaf Trades a view to the future

We will never win with present lineup..Yes we can improve yes, but won the cup?? seriously

Trade #1

Phaneuf to Edmonton
3rd to Leafs

Trade # 2
Lupol to a top 6 team
1st

Trade # 3
Kessel to NYI
1ST + Reinhardt

Draft Picks
3rd
5th