2014 Offseason Free Agent and Trade Talk V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
To be honest, it really makes a lot of sense to me that the Leafs would sign Dan Boyle if they were going to trade Dion Phaneuf.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 1m
Oilers to meet with Mark Fayne camp thursday. 27yrs 6-3 rh shut down guy. 6 -7 teams interested. Likely wants 4-5 yr deal.

Hopefully we meet with this guy as well

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Oilers to meet with Mark Fayne camp thursday. 27yrs 6-3 rh shut down guy. 6 -7 teams interested. Likely wants 4-5 yr deal.

he's a decent 4-6 guy, but may have been sheltered a bit by the NJD structure.

He'd be a fine addition but I dont see what Granberg cant do that he can and he'll cost far more.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
he's a decent 4-6 guy, but may have been sheltered a bit by the NJD structure.

He'd be a fine addition but I dont see what Granberg cant do that he can and he'll cost far more.

Good teams tend to look internally to fix problems.
I would rather give our youngsters a shot before going to the market again.

The market has no yielded much positive results.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Expect the Winnik, Goc, Fiddler and Stastny camp all to be contacted as well in the coming days.

Bolland has been given a take it or leave it proposal, as well as Franson. But I personally don't see Franson back as his money will be allocated to Dan Boyle if the two camps like what they hear for a deal on July 1.

Gardiner's contract talks are continuing to progress and we could see a bridge deal here very shortly.

as a 4th line replacement for McClement i hope?
Stastny would actually be pretty good, and then free us up to move Kadri for D help

Hope Bolland leaves it rather than takes it.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Why does everyone want this guy?

Because he's big and right handed? Because he has high possession numbers?

He's going to be another FA mistake, like a certain other player we signed that used to play with the Devils.

Playing 8 less games, and on average up to 3 minutes less per game, Fayne was on the ice for 45 even strength goals against, compared to Gardiner's 46. His possession stats, while appearing good, are boosted by his d partner, Greene. He has only 1.5 percent relative Corsi for. He doesn't really drive possession. He takes more penalties than he draws. He's not particularly adept at either hitting or blocking.

Please let's not sign him

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

He's going to be another FA mistake, like a certain other player we signed that used to play with the Devils.

Playing 8 less games, and on average up to 3 minutes less per game, Fayne was on the ice for 45 even strength goals against, compared to Gardiner's 46. His possession stats, while appearing good, are boosted by his d partner, Greene. He has only 1.5 percent relative Corsi for. He doesn't really drive possession. He takes more penalties than he draws. He's not particularly adept at either hitting or blocking.

As usual I agree with you, Wookie. Sometimes it feels like all I do is follow you around threads saying "What this guy just said."

masarume

Aug 6, 2007

I was gonna jump on you and say, "Mogilny did pretty well for us! Leave him alone!"
Then I realized I had wiped Clarkson off my memory. That's how bad he's been.
But I second your post. :handclap:

JMcLeaf

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 2m
Maple Leafs not among the teams set to talk with Fayne camp as of right now, though lots of time still.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Expect the Winnik, Goc, Fiddler and Stastny camp all to be contacted as well in the coming days.

Bolland has been given a take it or leave it proposal, as well as Franson. But I personally don't see Franson back as his money will be allocated to Dan Boyle if the two camps like what they hear for a deal on July 1.

Gardiner's contract talks are continuing to progress and we could see a bridge deal here very shortly.

Several guys I've been hoping we'd look at for quite some time.

Bozak, Stastny, Goc, Holland would be very nice down the middle. Two top 6 guys in Bozak/Statsny that Carlyle can depend on in both ends of the rink, with a solid bottom 6 he can trust.

Boyle could be a very nice veteran addition to help Phaneuf.
Phaneuf, Boyle, Gardiner, Rielly, Franson (?) would be a very good selection of guys for PP time. Boyle could also be a role model for Gardiner, whom is a similar style defenseman.

Very interesting few days to come!

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Would much rather sign him to a 2x2 deal than Bolland at 5x5

He would give us pretty equal play and point production too, very little difference between the two, GOC is slightly less offensively gifted.

But Goc would be a smart stopgap for 2-3 years while Gauthier develops.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Several guys I've been hoping we'd look at for quite some time.

Bozak, Stastny, Goc, Holland would be very nice down the middle. Two top 6 guys in Bozak/Statsny that Carlyle can depend on in both ends of the rink, with a solid bottom 6 he can trust.

Boyle could be a very nice veteran addition to help Phaneuf.
Phaneuf, Boyle, Gardiner, Rielly, Franson (?) would be a very good selection of guys for PP time. Boyle could also be a role model for Gardiner, whom is a similar style defenseman.

Very interesting few days to come!

SJ fans were all over him for his poor play this year ...i think it's a little to late with this guy if you are expecting him to actually defend anything.
as a Franson replacement, i'd rather give the time to Rielly, and Gardiner

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo

I feel like the Gardiner contract talks would be very easy, if the Leafs are interested in a bridge deal. Bridge deals are always in that 2.3-3.5 range and Gardiner has shown flashes of brilliance but inconsistency. Seems like there's no ambiguity in the scenario, so I'd guess that you're right.

Any interesting trade/draft rumors circulating Chuck? Sounds like a lot of today is dominated by UFA talk, understandably so.

Last edited:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

thanks Chuck, any word on what they are thinking for the draft?

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
thanks Chuck, any word on what they are thinking for the draft?

They want to move up into the Top 3, as they'd like to get their hands on one of those big 3 pieces they believe could be building blocks.

They've placed official offers, but at this point they are not "acceptable" but that could change on the draft floor.

They've also got interest in NYI's pick at #5 if it comes at a reasonable cost, with that said they believe they can get a very good player with high end talent at #8.

So they're very content on staying where they are.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
They want to move up into the Top 3, as they'd like to get their hands on one of those big 3 pieces they believe could be building blocks.

They've placed official offers, but at this point they are not "acceptable" but that could change on the draft floor.

They've also got interest in NYI's pick at #5 if it comes at a reasonable cost, with that said they believe they can get a very good player with high end talent at #8.

nice! thanks man great news

so they see the draft as
Ekblad and Sam's, DalColle , Draistail, Naslund and Ehlers

who is calling the shots?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

I have an idea. If we take on salary we could...

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad