2014 NHL Free Agency...Fizzle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's more likely Nylander is in the AHL than back in the SHL IMO.

I actually think the opposite. From the interviews of Nylander and the Leafs, I think they are more willing to let him go to Sweden for the year if he doesn't make the Leafs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Agreed Ribeiro would likely have knocked Kadri out of the middle or out of the top 6. Ribeiro might even have outscored Bozak.

However this is a development year for the Leafs and they want to give their young players a chance to play and develop and not so much about pushing the team forward up the standings by adding vets in the short term.

Roy would have guaranteed Holland was out as Leafs 3rd line center.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=457245

Ribeiro has 202 goals and 454 assists in 865 career regular-season games but had only 16 goals and 31 assists in 80 games for the Coyotes last season after his new deal.

He only had 47 points.

Not very good, yet only 3 away from 50 points.

If he had 50 points would we consider that good?

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

I Would rather them not send him directly to the AHL.

- AHL burns a year on an ELC.

- SHL is still a men's league and should not stymie his development.

- I would need to check into this but I believe the SHL season ends much earlier than the AHL thus after he could join the Marlies for their playoff run. (Assuming they have one.)

Regardless I would think we all agree that it is AHL vs SHL as sending him to juniors would be a huge blow.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

I actually think the opposite. From the interviews of Nylander and the Leafs, I think they are more willing to let him go to Sweden for the year if he doesn't make the Leafs.

im pretty sure nonis/shanny made some sort of comment that if he doesnt make the leafs he will honour his commitment to his swedish team and play there. imo i think it would be best for his development. he is paying with men so its not like he would be playing in the ohl. i think his father is on the team which is also a good thing. an 18 year old with money to burn playing pro hockey in toronto away from adult supervision is asking for problems. we dont want to have a beiber situation on our hands.

given whats going on in leaf land, nylander wont be the difference of us making the playoffs or not. it doesnt make sense to burn a year of his elc to play with the leafs. better he should play one more year in sweden and mature on and off the ice and then come over when he could possibly have a legitimate shot to make the leafs or at the very least be 1st in line to get called up from the marlies.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=457245

He only had 47 points.

Not very good, yet only 3 away from 50 points.

If he had 50 points would we consider that good?

look at who he was playing with. the year before he had 49 points in 48 games, the year before that he had 63 points, the year before that 71 points. if ribiero was playing on the leafs he would put up 60+ points i would think. he would be -20 but he would put up points 100% imo.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I could of swore it did? Can you link me the part of the CBA which states this?

9.1 (d)

(i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a
Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season
under that SPC
, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry
Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that
this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to
Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December
31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club
expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an
additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC,
with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary,
games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided,
however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all
circumstances.

(ii) In the event that a Player signs his first SPC at age 18 and has had his SPC
extended pursuant to Subsection (i), and such Player does not play at least
ten (10) NHL Games in the second season under that SPC, then the term
of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be
extended for one (1) additional year.
Unless a Player and Club expressly
agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional
year in accordance with this Subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the
exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games
played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided,
however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all
circumstances.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Suppose the Leafs were looking to make a trade, I think the players Leafs are most likely to trade(not including prospects) that have good to decent value would be Franson, Reimer, Lupul, Phaneuf and Kadri

Curious what Leaf fans feel each players value is

Personally,

Franson-2nd rounder/mid-high developing prospect/3rd liner with grit and some scoring ability
Reimer-2nd-3rd rounder/decent player if a team has depth at that position but need a goalie
Lupul-Top 4 D(not top2)/good prospect and pick
Phaneuf-all depends on if we take back a decent amount of contract-if we do-contract player + fairly high and mid prospect. if we don't-top 4 D or top 6 forward with 1-2 prospects depending on quality of prospect
Kadri-really hard to say-possibly young top 4 D of similar talent/more proven player with a good prospect.

thoughts?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Suppose the Leafs were looking to make a trade, I think the players Leafs are most likely to trade(not including prospects) that have good to decent value would be Franson, Reimer, Lupul, Phaneuf and Kadri

Curious what Leaf fans feel each players value is

Personally,

Franson-2nd rounder/mid-high developing prospect/3rd liner with grit and some scoring ability
Reimer-2nd-3rd rounder/decent player if a team has depth at that position but need a goalie
Lupul-Top 4 D(not top2)/good prospect and pick
Phaneuf-all depends on if we take back a decent amount of contract-if we do-contract player + fairly high and mid prospect. if we don't-top 4 D or top 6 forward with 1-2 prospects depending on quality of prospect
Kadri-really hard to say-possibly young top 4 D of similar talent/more proven player with a good prospect.

thoughts?

This has been beaten to death... here's the deal. Kadri isn't getting traded unless it's for a similarly-aged top-3 D. IF that happens, a Dion trade could go down that would bring back a #2C to replace Kadri. Lupul was likely dangled but the team probably decided they'd get better short-term value out of Polak and Robidas than the type of 30-33 year old 2nd pairing D that Lupul could return. So we're left with keeping Lupul on the 2LW slot, and keeping Kadri on the #2C slot unless a Dion trade goes down. But BOTH the Kadri and Dion deals have to be lined up so they happen - we can't bring in a Strome and not Kadri for a top-3 D.

Franson's contract demands limit his interest from teams. 2nd would be my guess if/when it happens. Ditto Reimer, although I think we'd be wise to keep him for the season, so I doubt he gets moved. As an 88 he's only 26 years old, so plenty of hockey ahead of him if he wants to contend for a #1 spot. He should be focusing on putting up good numbers this year. If Bernier goes down again we'll need him, and no other backups on the market now are as good as him IMO.

RLF

May 5, 2014
This has been beaten to death... here's the deal. Kadri isn't getting traded unless it's for a similarly-aged top-3 D. IF that happens, a Dion trade could go down that would bring back a #2C to replace Kadri. Lupul was likely dangled but the team probably decided they'd get better short-term value out of Polak and Robidas than the type of 30-33 year old 2nd pairing D that Lupul could return. So we're left with keeping Lupul on the 2LW slot, and keeping Kadri on the #2C slot unless a Dion trade goes down. But BOTH the Kadri and Dion deals have to be lined up so they happen - we can't bring in a Strome and not Kadri for a top-3 D.

Franson's contract demands limit his interest from teams. 2nd would be my guess if/when it happens. Ditto Reimer, although I think we'd be wise to keep him for the season, so I doubt he gets moved. As an 88 he's only 26 years old, so plenty of hockey ahead of him if he wants to contend for a #1 spot. He should be focusing on putting up good numbers this year. If Bernier goes down again we'll need him, and no other backups on the market now are as good as him IMO.

Agree with most of that. Lots of discussion per player value, but not much on all players at once. Just trying to start a discussion. It's dead on here.

Tyler Biggs*

The d has to be tougher in their end and that should help the whole team!

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
I could of swore it did? Can you link me the part of the CBA which states this?

here's the answer via FloNoMo

Playing in the AHL as a u20 doesn't affect ELC. You sign the ELC, but the contract slides until you are 20. Prime example is Tomas Tatar.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/1578

"HOW DOES AN ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT SLIDE?
If a player aged 18 or 19 signs an entry-level contract with a club (with his age calculated on Sept. 15 of the year he signed the contract) but does not play in at least 10 NHL games — regular season or playoffs — the contract will "slide" or be extended one year. The extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between Sept. 16 and Dec. 31 in the year he signed the contract.
Depending on the contract's structure, the player's cap hit can be affected either by an increase or a decrease. Players who sign at age 18 can have their contract extended (or "slide") two seasons.

CBA reference: Section 9.1 (d) (P. 23-24)"

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-an-entry-level-contract-slide

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=87260927&highlight=#post87260927

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

What comments?

Nylander said he was going back to sweden, but he meant going home for the summer.

He doesn't have a contract there, and in TOR they can work him into the teams system under the Marlies staff, and should the Leafs want him to be a C, they can have him play C, whereas in Sweden they have no control.

I dunno, both are good options, so it's not like one is a terrible choice. And all this is secondary to if he doesn't make the team out of camp, which has a realistic shot of happening IMO Not guaranteed, and he will need to put on weight over the summer and have a good camp, but he according to some, looked too good to be at the rookie camp last week.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What comments?

Nylander said he was going back to sweden, but he meant going home for the summer.

He doesn't have a contract there, and in TOR they can work him into the teams system under the Marlies staff, and should the Leafs want him to be a C, they can have him play C, whereas in Sweden they have no control.

I dunno, both are good options, so it's not like one is a terrible choice. And all this is secondary to if he doesn't make the team out of camp, which has a realistic shot of happening IMO Not guaranteed, and he will need to put on weight over the summer and have a good camp, but he according to some, looked too good to be at the rookie camp last week.

Nothing is in black and white to say he stays or he doesn't. The feeling I get from Nylander is that he would prefer to play in the SHL if he isn't ready for the NHL. I also have a feeling that the Leafs would give him that opportunity instead of "forcing" him to play for the Marlies.

We will have to wait and see. I would prefer the AHL simply for selfish reasons but I think the SHL would probably be better for him in a short-term situation.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
What comments?

Sending Nylander back to Sweden should be almost a mandatory because:
-We don't burn a year off his ELC
-Modo is regarded as a great franchise that is run by Markus Naslund and Peter Forsberg
-He's undersized and needs to gain strength which the style of game they play is beter for him not getting run over and potentially hurt before he has man strength
-His biggest flaw is him not utilizing his teammates well and the Swedish game emphasizing more puck movement between teammates then the North American game
-He has a comfort zone in Sweden with family there and can mature without the spotlight
-He hasn't played in the U20 World Juniors yet but should be a key player for that team this year
-Toronto is an incredibly tough market for any player let alone a 18 year old 1st round pick

Keep Nylander back in Sweden for a year or even more just like other top picks like N. Backstrom, Eller, Kopitar, Eriksson, Karlsson, OEL were kept back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad