2014 NHL Free Agency...Fizzle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Ex Leaf great Matt Lombardi to NYR. 2 years 800k per.

Didn't know the guy was still playing lol.

Guy was brutally frustrating, tonnes of speed but no finish or consistency.

somehow he turned it around in the swiss league though, guessing thats why hes getting a chance here.

Jacob8hockey*

Any issues giving Gardiner a similar contract to the one Demers just got?

2 years at 3.4 per

Maybe a bit more term. Would 2 years take Gardiner to UFA or 1 more year as a RFA?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

2 years at 3.4 per

Maybe a bit more term. Would 2 years take Gardiner to UFA or 1 more year as a RFA?

his birthday is july 4th... so i think. 1 more a RFA?

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg

2 years at 3.4 per

For a bridge deal I wouldn't go over 3. If we locked him up for 4-5 years I'd be ok going closer to 4.

Badger25

Jul 23, 2012
Toronto
Would anyone bite on Shane O'Brien? He would be a solid replacement for Ranger if at a reasonable price. ~ 2 years, > 1m. could be a good stop gap for Percy/Finn. I know he's buddy-buddy with Lupul and I don't think he has any character issues but I'm pretty sure he's a party animal

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Would anyone bite on Shane O'Brien? He would be a solid replacement for Ranger if at a reasonable price. ~ 2 years, > 1m. could be a good stop gap for Percy/Finn. I know he's buddy-buddy with Lupul and I don't think he has any character issues but I'm pretty sure he's a party animal

Id do it if he is a left hand shot. We picked up Robidas and Polak because mgmt wants guys playing on the natural sides. Right now the depth chart looks like:

Gardiner Phaneuf (Phaneuf has played the right side for a long time now)
Reilly Robidas
??? Polak
Percy Granberg

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Id do it if he is a left hand shot. We picked up Robidas and Polak because mgmt wants guys playing on the natural sides. Right now the depth chart looks like:

Gardiner Phaneuf (Phaneuf has played the right side for a long time now)
Reilly Robidas
??? Polak
Percy Granberg

Agree with this... Granberg seems most ready to be in the NHL, but I think Carlyle might consider having Percy be our #6 Dman at first and Granberg in the Marlies until injuries occur. Either that or one of Percy/Granberg can be our #7 dman.

While most people are against a young player being the #7 Dman, they can easily get 50+ games (split between #6 + #7 dman = 41 games each plus pretty much guaranteed injury or suspension to one or more of our defensemen). Not sure, but I think it's something to consider...

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

I think the Leafs should look at bringing in 1 more vet, but purely as a 7th defenceman.

I've watched Holzer play for a couple years with the Marlies, but I don't know if he should be the 7th guy.

O'Brien, Sarich, Rome & McBain could all be guys that are valuable as a 7th d-man at a contract under 1mill.

Also, I would be intrigued in bringing in Del Zotto on a 1 year deal, conditional on them trading Franson.

Del Zotto could be a bottom pairing guy with Robidas, provided they want Gardiner and Rielly ahead of him in the line-up.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
I think the Leafs should look at bringing in 1 more vet, but purely as a 7th defenceman.

I've watched Holzer play for a couple years with the Marlies, but I don't know if he should be the 7th guy.

O'Brien, Sarich, Rome & McBain could all be guys that are valuable as a 7th d-man at a contract under 1mill.

Also, I would be intrigued in bringing in Del Zotto on a 1 year deal, conditional on them trading Franson.

Del Zotto could be a bottom pairing guy with Robidas, provided they want Gardiner and Rielly ahead of him in the line-up.

I'd take MDZ over all 4 guys you mentioned lol, he'd cost around the same too, under 1.5M.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
I'd take MDZ over all 4 guys you mentioned lol, he'd cost around the same too, under 1.5M.

We have the spot, the cap room, why not take a chance on MDZ? Can make him a project, worst case scenario we can waive/bench him. He could replace the points we lose with Franson, and keep all the defensive headaches too, for 1mill or less.

Gardiner phaneuf
Reilly Robidas
MDZ Polak

Problem is that MDZ would probably become the new fan whipping boy, and i doubt Carlyle would be a fan of this either

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
I think the leafs should have gotten a veteran 3rd pairing LD if they didnt believe they were resigning Franson. Let Percy and Granberg develop and come up into their natural position, instead of potentially rushing percy or playing Granberg on the left side. Even Ranger showed he could be effective in that role, perhaps he would have been even better since he was forced to play on his off-side last season

Jacob8hockey*

I'd be happy if the offseason ends with:

Gardiner re-signing long term
Reimer re-signing
Franson traded
Bernier extended
MDZ signed on a cheap deal (as many years as he would take) as a #7 to try and develop his game

I'd love to sign MDZ for a cheap 1 yr 1M option or maybe even a cheap 2-3 year contract.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
The alternative to acquiring a bottom pairing LD would be if the coaching staff is planning on returning Dion to the left side.

Phaneuf Robidas
Gradiner Polak
Reilly Granberg
Percy

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I'd be happy if the offseason ends with:

Gardiner re-signing long term
Reimer re-signing
Franson traded
Bernier extended
MDZ signed on a cheap deal (as many years as he would take) as a #7 to try and develop his game

I'd love to sign MDZ for a cheap 1 yr 1M option or maybe even a cheap 2-3 year contract.

Del Zotto isn't going to develop his game as a #7. He needs to agree to the Marlies and at least a 2 year deal for it to be worth it to us to try and get his game back to where it was. We shouldn't be a development system for players to get bigger contracts or players to find their games and leave. Make a commitment to the team to get better and we will make a commitment to you to give you time.

Jacob8hockey*

Del Zotto isn't going to develop his game as a #7. He needs to agree to the Marlies and at least a 2 year deal for it to be worth it to us to try and get his game back to where it was. We shouldn't be a development system for players to get bigger contracts or players to find their games and leave. Make a commitment to the team to get better and we will make a commitment to you to give you time.

Thats why I said ideally a 2-3 year contract but I would still take him on a 1 year to see if he could compete.

Low risk high reward.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Thats why I said ideally a 2-3 year contract but I would still take him on a 1 year to see if he could compete.

Low risk high reward.

We have a different definition of risk/reward. A one year deal puts all the risk on us and none of the reward. Multi-year two way deal or go somewhere else. The risk is nullified by the 2 way contract and the reward is that he finds his game and we both win. We aren't talking about a top pairing guy here. he was never even close to that. He's a PP guy with absolute **** defense. Wrong era for that

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
We have a different definition of risk/reward. A one year deal puts all the risk on us and none of the reward. Multi-year two way deal or go somewhere else. The risk is nullified by the 2 way contract and the reward is that he finds his game and we both win. We aren't talking about a top pairing guy here. he was never even close to that. He's a PP guy with absolute **** defense. Wrong era for that

This ^. The club has too many puck movers and you can't play him ahead of Gardiner or Rielly so no opportunity for development. He doesn't have anything they lack.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Since it's dead on here...

To Boston
Lupul
To Toronto
Boychuk, Kelly

Boston clears cap space and adds top 6 scoring they are looking for since the loss of Iginla. Leafs get a top 4 RHD and legit third line centre

To NYI
Phaneuf
To Toronto
Bailey, DeHaan, Lee

Isle get there #1 D to play with Hamonic. Leafs get a potential top 4 D puck mover in DeHaan, two potential top 6 wingers with size and scoring ability.

JVR Bozak Kessel
Lee/Bailey Kadri Clarkson
Lee/Bailey Kelly Komarov
Ashton/Frattin/Santorelli/Kontiola/Holland/Bodie, etc (take your pick)

Gardiner Boychuk
DeHaan/Rielly Robidas
DeHaan/Rielly Polak
Grandberg ?/Ranger?

Bernier/?

Leafs still have tons of cap space left as well.

The Leafs are not going to trade Dion Phaneuf. Nuff said.

If anything they bring in a guy like Boychuck to PLAY WITH Phaneuf.

Also, can we rename this thread already. Are we not all in agreement this offseason has been a success thus far?

Polak cost Gunnar and a 4th. Boychuk is better than Polak. I highly doubt the bruins are giving away anyone of value in July especially to a division rival. It'll cost plenty

Agreed. Boston would have plenty of offers for Boychuk and get a good return. These trade scenarios are typically Leaf player who we want to dump anyhow (= lesser value) for good player from the other team. Probably better to assume that all 29 GMs are not that incompetent.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Is Nonis all ready at his annual fishing trip with Burke? I think they go for a couple weeks around the end of July.

Not that it matters all that much... but it's usually the quieter times in terms of rumours and what not.

Also, it would be nice for the Leafs to pursue Kevin Hayes hard. A free agent prospect like that is always nice to add. It looks very unlikely but it would be nice to hear they are trying to sign him. We haven't been very active in the "free wallets" pool since Burke left.

Last edited:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I'm surprised Winnik is still not signed. He must be asking for a lot more then what people are willing to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad