2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
It's an unspectacular draft, even at the top. I feel they will go the same way as last year and take the most effective player, not the best one.

Usually we can pinpoint specific Timmins targets, but I just don't see it. Perhaps some of the American defencemen like Jack Dougherty or Glover? Who knows. Seems like trading down is the most likely scenario.

Timmins is not easy to predict. McCarron was not on the late first round predictions of most mock drafts, same thing with Paccioretty and others drafted in the past.
Who knows if a Nick Schmaltz, a Adrian Kempe, or a big D, would be a good pick for Timmins and his team at the 27th selection this year? And who knows if a team will offer 2 selections in the 2nd round for the first of the Habs?

I will make a prediction : Timmins will select a player with his first round pick at 27th.
It's just a guess...

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Timmins is not easy to predict. McCarron was not on the late first round predictions of most mock drafts, same thing with Paccioretty and others drafted in the past.
Who knows if a Nick Schmaltz, a Adrian Kempe, or a big D, would be a good pick for Timmins and his team at the 27th selection this year? And who knows if a team will offer 2 selections in the 2nd round for the first of the Habs?

I will make a prediction : Timmins will select a player with his first round pick at 27th.
It's just a guess...

I have my doubts that Schmaltz is a Timmins guy. Kempe, on the other hand.......

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Trading down would be ideal. I hope Bergevin is able to pull it off.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
... unless there's a prominent and intriguing name who has happened to fall through to #26/27/28/29/wherever we pick, who is just too good to pass up.

Everything could happen. But this year, I believe that from 20 to 50....it's about all of the same.....or kind of.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Everything could happen. But this year, I believe that from 20 to 50....it's about all of the same.....or kind of.

I wouldn't mind dropping down in this draft, although it all depends on who is available come pick 26. If Timmins still has one of his top 15 there, you kind have to pull the trigger.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Even if there is a player there Timmins loves that won't make it to 40-50 range?

Of course not. If Timmins loves the player, don't worry. He'll pick. And then they'll try something else later. And again, while we have nothing to say, my mindset could change if there is also a player I love.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
My prediction for the first 25 picks:

1-FLA-Ekblad
2-BUF - Reinhart
3-EDM-Draisaitl
4-CGY - Bennett
5-NYI- Nylander

6-VAN –Dal Colle
7-CAR- Ritchie
8-TOR - Fleury
9-WPG - Ehlers
10-ANA -Perlini

11-NSH - Virtanen
12-PHX – Fabbri
13-WSH - Larkin
14-DAL - Kapanen
15-DET - Fiala

16-CBJ - Honka
17-PHI - Demko
18-MIN – Milano
19-TBL - Scherback
20-PIT - Tuch

21-SJS – McCann
22-STL – Bleackley
23-COL– Pastrnak
24-ANA - Ho-Sang
25-BOS - Sanheim

Which leaves:

Goldobin
Barbashev
Donato
Kempe
DeAngelo
Pollock

All depends on if we pick 27, 28 or 29:nod:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
My prediction for the first 25 picks:

1-FLA-Ekblad
2-BUF - Reinhart
3-EDM-Draisaitl
4-CGY - Bennett
5-NYI- Nylander

6-VAN –Dal Colle
7-CAR- Ritchie
8-TOR - Fleury
9-WPG - Ehlers
10-ANA -Perlini

11-NSH - Virtanen
12-PHX – Fabbri
13-WSH - Larkin
14-DAL - Kapanen
15-DET - Fiala

16-CBJ - Honka
17-PHI - Demko
18-MIN – Milano
19-TBL - Scherback
20-PIT - Tuch

21-SJS – McCann
22-STL – Bleackley
23-COL– Pastrnak
24-ANA - Ho-Sang
25-BOS - Sanheim

Which leaves:

Goldobin
Barbashev
Donato
Kempe
DeAngelo
Pollock

All depends on if we pick 27, 28 or 29:nod:

Assuming that scenario played out, I would go with Barbashev without thinking too hard.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
We could use a Goldobin kind of talent in our system. We have nothing coming close to this skillset in the farm, and we could use a pure offensive player out there. Enough with good two way players or d-men. Focus on physical OR very talented players up front.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Of course not. If Timmins loves the player, don't worry. He'll pick. And then they'll try something else later. And again, while we have nothing to say, my mindset could change if there is also a player I love.

I agree that if...

A-there is no slam dunk player TT wants

and

B-it's a very good deal to trade down to where you can get a similar player PLUS add a late 2nd or early 3rd

THEN you do it.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
We could use a Goldobin kind of talent in our system. We have nothing coming close to this skillset in the farm, and we could use a pure offensive player out there. Enough with good two way players or d-men. Focus on physical OR very talented players up front.

I'd say Andrighetto is pretty similar to Goldobin in terms of skillset.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Andrighetto was drafter as an overager. Pretty sure Goldobin is way better at 18 than Andrighetto was, and has a higher ceiling.

All I said was that Andrighetto's skillset was similar to Goldobin's. No need to hit the panic mode on when I've proven your statement to be wrong. The ceilings difference is debatable IMO.

Besides, Andrighetto's a much more involved player in all facets and has an off-the-charts work ethic. Something Goldobin doesn't possess.

Obviously, Andrighetto was not as good as Goldobin at the same age, he was passed up on twice. That doesn't de facto make Goldobin a better prospect. Ghetto's had a ridiculous development curve the past couple of years, that's usually very good news for one's potential.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Depends on what is available, but I would definitely opt for another guy at 26 if I could. If Goldobin is still there in the late second/third round, then I take my chance on the guy, but not in 1st.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
All I hope for this draft is that i will not hear them talk about needs like last year. They are 17 years old, our needs will change before they contribute. It's hard enough to find high quality players at the end of the 1st round and later, give yourself all the chances to find one.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
yea im hoping that i can snatch NAK or Tkachev up in the 3rd
the only Q players that interest me are Tkachev, Vanier, NAK, Audette and Bishop

In regards to our 1st, i just hope either Scherbak or Larkin fall down to us. I'm not a big fan of drafting Dmen in the 1st but if Honka dropped down i'd take him aswell. Can't see either one of them dropping that far tho, the next best thing would be to trade up for them :), especially for Larkin and Sherbak. Barbashev is easily going in the top 15

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Bishop would be as unsexy as it gets for a pick. I'm not a big fan of his, to say the least.

Sadly I don't think Aubé-Kubel will make it to late 3rd. Audette might though.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
i wouldnt pick bishop in the 3rd, btw thoughts on David Pastrnak and Nick Schmaltz? i can see one of the smaller skilled forwards dropping to us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad