2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Does anyone know which Q game TVA is showing tonight?

Cape Breton vs. Gatineau

Vincent Dunn suspended for the game

some players to watch

CB

Clark Bishop, F
Maxim Lazarev, F
Cameron Darcy, F
Julien Pelletier, F
Jason Bell, D (16 years old)
Loïk Léveillé, D (Late 96, available in 2015)

Gatineau

Vaclav Karabacek, F
Alexis Pépin, F
Martin Reway, F (Habs property obviously)
Alexandre Carrier, D (Late 96, available in 2015)

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Cape Breton vs. Gatineau

Vincent Dunn suspended for the game

some players to watch

CB

Clark Bishop, F
Maxim Lazarev, F
Cameron Darcy, F
Julien Pelletier, F
Jason Bell, D (16 years old)
Loïk Léveillé, D (Late 96, available in 2015)

Gatineau

Vaclav Karabacek, F
Alexis Pépin, F
Martin Reway, F (Habs property obviously)
Alexandre Carrier, D (Late 96, available in 2015)

Is Reway back? He missed the last 3-4 games...

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The 2014 Entry Draft may be a weak one, but there were some very interesting players at both the WJHC's and the Prospects game this season. While very little worth, GM's are putting on these picks, I'm thinking Bergevin can load Timmins up with late 1st's, 2nd's and 3rd's. His trades picked up Weise and Czarnik, two character depth players, the types needed for long playoff runs in either league AHL/NHL. Those low round picks that can be had this year, are ones his scouts can use to draft these character Dmen & forwards from those WJHC's & Prospects games.

There are many more that play in the USHL as well, sure some may not reach the upsides predicted for them, but the players that do will have been with other teams picks. Here are some players available:

Late 1st round;

Ryan MacInnis
Roland McKeown
Eric Cornel

2nd round players;

Oscar Lindblom
Brendan Lemieux
Nikita Tryamkin- The Giant Dman -WJHC's
Ryan Mantha
Connor Chatham
Adam Mattson
Julius Bergman
Alex Vanier
Austin Poganski
Pavel Jenys
Vaclav Karabacek
Damir Zhafyarov - The little Russian eye-opener at the WJHC's
Ben Thomas
Ilya Lyabushkin
Nick Aube-Kubel
Matt Mistele
Ryan Collins

That's a few that can be NHLers IMO and in a weak draft for players that could become UFA's and gain the Habs zip, squat, zilch, why not is my question not why or it's a waste of time. This is how teams gain depth, using every resource available to them and to optimum value also.:nod:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
The 2014 Entry Draft may be a weak one, but there were some very interesting players at both the WJHC's and the Prospects game this season. While very little worth, GM's are putting on these picks, I'm thinking Bergevin can load Timmins up with late 1st's, 2nd's and 3rd's. His trades picked up Weise and Czarnik, two character depth players, the types needed for long playoff runs in either league AHL/NHL. Those low round picks that can be had this year, are ones his scouts can use to draft these character Dmen & forwards from those WJHC's & Prospects games.

There are many more that play in the USHL as well, sure some may not reach the upsides predicted for them, but the players that do will have been with other teams picks. Here are some players available:

Late 1st round;

Ryan MacInnis
Roland McKeown
Eric Cornel

2nd round players;

Oscar Lindblom
Brendan Lemieux
Nikita Tryamkin- The Giant Dman -WJHC's
Ryan Mantha
Connor Chatham
Adam Mattson
Julius Bergman
Alex Vanier
Austin Poganski
Pavel Jenys
Vaclav Karabacek
Damir Zhafyarov - The little Russian eye-opener at the WJHC's
Ben Thomas
Ilya Lyabushkin
Nick Aube-Kubel
Matt Mistele
Ryan Collins

That's a few that can be NHLers IMO and in a weak draft for players that could become UFA's and gain the Habs zip, squat, zilch, why not is my question not why or it's a waste of time. This is how teams gain depth, using every resource available to them and to optimum value also.:nod:

Nothing against those high character guys but what's the upside in spending a first or second round pick on most of them? You can get guys like Winnik, Fiddler or Goc for 1.8 a year and depth guys like Malhotra, Craig Adams or Steckel for 500K a year.

In a cap world you're much better off making your picks on players who will provide a lot more value and still have that production come for cheap.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
What's the consensus on Kapanen? Bob M has him at 9 on his list, but it seems pretty common for smaller skilled Finns to drop at the draft. He looks like the type of player Timmins loves.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Nothing against those high character guys but what's the upside in spending a first or second round pick on most of them? You can get guys like Winnik, Fiddler or Goc for 1.8 a year and depth guys like Malhotra, Craig Adams or Steckel for 500K a year.

In a cap world you're much better off making your picks on players who will provide a lot more value and still have that production come for cheap.

Whatever broad strokes for different folks.:sarcasm:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
If over a ten-year period a club drafts 12 skilled forwards in the top two rounds...not every one of those players is going to play in the top 6...it just doesn't add up. So over a few-year period..you will see teams add character players with higher picks in the hope that they can form an excellent third line someday.

A lot of teams don't have designated lines any more anyway, and a perceived third line can be as valuable or played as much as a perceived second line...

look at the top teams like St. Louis, Anaheim, Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago..all of the top teams have excellent third lines...winning teams often have top 60 picks playing on their third lines.

Outside of the top ten lots of character players are chosen...Tom Wilson being a good example a couple of years ago. It's not like Mac was a top ten selection..he was picked towards the end of the first, and he is projected to be a huge, tough presence on a strong third line down the road, perhaps at center. A lot of teams will take that with a 25th overall pick, especially if that's a good fit...McCarron will be a good fit.

Look at the two Cup winning teams last year. Two of their most valuable players were character forwards who were top 50 picks..Lucic and Bickell. Those guys weren't picked for their skill.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
If over a ten-year period a club drafts 12 skilled forwards in the top two rounds...not every one of those players is going to play in the top 6...it just doesn't add up. So over a few-year period..you will see teams add character players with higher picks in the hope that they can form an excellent third line someday.

A lot of teams don't have designated lines any more anyway, and a perceived third line can be as valuable or played as much as a perceived second line...

look at the top teams like St. Louis, Anaheim, Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago..all of the top teams have excellent third lines...winning teams often have top 60 picks playing on their third lines.

Outside of the top ten lots of character players are chosen...Tom Wilson being a good example a couple of years ago. It's not like Mac was a top ten selection..he was picked towards the end of the first, and he is projected to be a huge, tough presence on a strong third line down the road, perhaps at center. A lot of teams will take that with a 25th overall pick, especially if that's a good fit...McCarron will be a good fit.

Look at the two Cup winning teams last year. Two of their most valuable players were character forwards who were top 50 picks..Lucic and Bickell. Those guys weren't picked for their skill.

Just to clarify, when I mention skill and value I include both offensive skills and defensive skills. Not just talking about putting up points on the board.

I have nothing against drafting skilled defensive players at forward. Then again there's varying degrees to the output of these guys. Some play a defensive role against top players and are still able to produce (i.e. Patrice Bergeron or our own Plekanec). From that point on offensive production and defensive production will vary. Some will shutdown top offensive lines and not produce much, some will produce a bit more but won't do it against top lines and so on. I'm perfectly fine with drafting guys like say Bonne Jenner in the first round who project to play against top lines and still be able to contribute offensively.

My problem is when we put too much stock into physicality and what I consider to be average to above average shutdown skills. Most of the depth guys listed by S Bah seem to me like there's a fair bit of uncertainty on whether or not they will actually reach the NHL and if they do, they seem to me like players who won't be point producers while shutting down the top line but more of average offensive production against average to below average offensive performers. More in the Ryan White mold for example. Nothing against Ryan White but I wouldn't spend a first round pick on him. Much rather trade that pick and then sign a Marcel Goc type on the FA market.

On Tom Wilson. He's exactly the type of player I don't like. He brings little to no offense and little to no shutdown skills. He just goes out there and try to pick up PIMs. I think it contributes little (if not negative value) to winning.

I have no problem with Mac if he plays a defensive role. Not that I expect any signficant offensive production. But then again, isn't worth a 1st round pick IMO.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I want a player that can become another championship building block with our picks. I don't want the most appealing or sexy pick based on potential and points production.
I won't enumerate all the condition or factor to consider for our selection because there are so many.

But IMO in the current NHL, I identified 2 key factors that separate the bottom team from the elite team.

1. Depth at every position (the best teams have drafted a great combination of skill players and character players from center to winger, defenseman and even goaltending positions)

2. Size and Skills (All the top teams above us in the ranking have bigger top 6 players. I would always rather select the most skilled over the bigger less skilled player but size does mater, more specifically in the playoff. When 4 (Desharnais, Plekanec, Gionta, Gallagher) of our top 6 offensive players are under 6' it has a long-term effect (as see more recently with our erratic play) and it becomes harder when it mater the most in the playoff where everything gets more physical.)

Our weaknesses:
From the habs depth chart we are definitely lacking right handed winger, right handed center as well as left handed two way defenseman.

2014 draft:
I personally think that we have to keep our 2014 picks and if it could be possible to acquire more it would be even better.

Why ? : Our core players are very young (Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Subban, Price) and in 2 or 3 years they would all be at their peak. So it's imperative for us to provide more depth and potentially develop more NHLer for the next 2 to 3 years from our prospect pool. In 2 years if everything goes accordingly and we get bigger/skilled players as well with more depth, then it would be appropriate to sacrifice picks for more established players to help us for our cup run.

Who we should target (considering our lack of positional depth): (l provided a list of 10 players)

1. Sam Reinhart (Right handed center, very very doubtful we have a chance to draft him other than by trading up. I see him becoming a great 1st/2nd line center)

2. Haydn Fleury (Amazing two way defenseman a future top 4 defenseman in the NHL. Again very very doubtful we get a chance to draft him unless we trade up)

3. Jake Virtanen (Very fast with a very good shot but a bit inconsistent. He is very similar to a right handed version of Pacioretty)

4. Alex Tuch (He can play either wing or center. He likes to use his size and he has enough offensive skills to develop as a potential top 6 player)

5. Conner Bleackley (Two way right handed center with good speed. He can develop as a very good 2nd/3rd line center in the NHL. Similar to Curtis Lazar from last year draft, less of a goal scorer tough)

6. Nick Schmaltz (Dynamic right handed center. Very smart and very dangerous. Good upside. Very similar to Pavelski. A bit undersized for our need)

(7/8/9). William Nylander (Elite offensive skillset but can he develop more defensive awareness ?. Undersized. Boom or bust type of pick)

(7/8/9). Kasperi Kapanen (See Nylander description but from Finland)

(7/8/9). Josh Ho-Sang (See Nylander description but from Canada)

10. Brycen Martin (Puck moving defenseman with upside to become a top 4. Could develop more of an offensive game)

(HM: David Pastrnak (Offensive winger with great hands but inconsistent. Similar to David Perron)

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Title reads "2014 NHL Entry Draft" it's all about McCarron :facepalm:

Should've been 2014 NHL Entry Draft AND We Are Dying To Know Your LSAT Scores

Based on the rankings and where we are slotted I can't see us passing on Tuch in the 1st round

Vanier & Lemieux would be high on my list in the 2nd, maybe MB can pick up another 2nd

And yeah it's targeting size/grit over talent a little but we've got a good mix from the last couple of years so we can live with it

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
So... back to the topic at hand. The Habs should draft a player with top 6 potential. Who has the best chance of becoming one where the Habs may be drafting from?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

This post should be framed and be a must read before posting in the Draft Thread!

174? Doesn't mean anything when talking about hockey...

Teams don't always swing for a home run because chances are you'll get nothing out of the draft, and it's important to get one or two NHL caliber in each and every draft to keep your depht going. If you only draft skills, and these players bust, you get nothing...and skills will bust more often than not...

Also, scouts will see if the skills will translate at the NHL level or not. That's why you see some great talents falling on draft day. Of course, some of them DO pan out and make us wondering why the hell that player wasn't a first round pick...

And BTW, yes, you CAN teach skills...and you can't buy size...you can't teach Milan Lucic to be Alex Ovechkin, but the Bruins were able to teach him something and the goon taken in the second round became a top power forward in the NHL.

As you say, home run swings are just that, without any projected development plan for a player, teams might as well use a dart board.

I want a player that can become another championship building block with our picks. I don't want the most appealing or sexy pick based on potential and points production.
I won't enumerate all the condition or factor to consider for our selection because there are so many.

But IMO in the current NHL, I identified 2 key factors that separate the bottom team from the elite team.

1. Depth at every position (the best teams have drafted a great combination of skill players and character players from center to winger, defenseman and even goaltending positions)

2. Size and Skills (All the top teams above us in the ranking have bigger top 6 players. I would always rather select the most skilled over the bigger less skilled player but size does mater, more specifically in the playoff. When 4 (Desharnais, Plekanec, Gionta, Gallagher) of our top 6 offensive players are under 6' it has a long-term effect (as see more recently with our erratic play) and it becomes harder when it mater the most in the playoff where everything gets more physical.)

Our weaknesses:
From the habs depth chart we are definitely lacking right handed winger, right handed center as well as left handed two way defenseman.

2014 draft:
I personally think that we have to keep our 2014 picks and if it could be possible to acquire more it would be even better.

Why ? : Our core players are very young (Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Subban, Price) and in 2 or 3 years they would all be at their peak. So it's imperative for us to provide more depth and potentially develop more NHLer for the next 2 to 3 years from our prospect pool. In 2 years if everything goes accordingly and we get bigger/skilled players as well with more depth, then it would be appropriate to sacrifice picks for more established players to help us for our cup run.

Who we should target (considering our lack of positional depth)

Jake Virtanen (Very fast with a very good shot but a bit inconsistent. He is very similar to a right handed version of Pacioretty)

Alex Tuch (He can play either wing or center. He likes to use his size and he has enough offensive skills to develop as a potential top 6 player)

Conner Bleackley (Two way right handed center with good speed. He can develop as a very good 2nd/3rd line center in the NHL. Similar to Curtis Lazar from last year draft, less of a goal scorer tough)

Kasperi Kapanen (Nylander from Finland)

Good post interesting choices, the four above may be available, when the Habs choose, and like many here Alex Tuch could be a great PWF.

Should've been 2014 NHL Entry Draft AND We Are Dying To Know Your LSAT Scores

Based on the rankings and where we are slotted I can't see us passing on Tuch in the 1st round

Vanier & Lemieux would be high on my list in the 2nd, maybe MB can pick up another 2nd

And yeah it's targeting size/grit over talent a little but we've got a good mix from the last couple of years so we can live with it

First off, I can get cheat sheets for any exams, yes I'm a dinosaur, but with good resources. I'm really leaning towards Tuch, he will make a great linemate for one of our smaller Europeans (Collberg or Lehkonen) and a good finisher all in one player, perfect.:handclap:

Teams are made with a balanced group of players, not a team of All-Stars, as many posters seem to think. All of us can recognize skills, but there are so many more important facets to consider when projecting a player's worth in 4-5 yrs. Alex Tuch seems a very good mix of those intangibles that GM's & coaches want from prospects.:handclap:

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
Julius Honka would be awesome for us. He would solidify our defence so in the future it could be one of the best in the league with a combination of grit and amazing puck movement. Him on the the 2nd pp unit behind a potentially dominate powerplay duo in Subban-Beaulieu.
I would like to pick a forward but in 5 years or so.

Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu-Honka
Bennett-Pateryn

Would like a little bit more grit but mobility definetly wouldn't be a issue. I've seen Honka a handful of times and looks kinda like Karlsson out there..

Nitehowl

Jul 28, 2005
BC Canada
Virtanen

Watched him last night and he didn't stand out to me. Seems solid with a nice shot,not quick but top end speed is good. Seems very polite when throwing bodychecks, played RW all game & 2nd PP unit

Also watched Thomas - Dman for Calgary...was invited to top prospects game... but didn't standout..looked mobile

More impressive to me was Ryan Rehill , a big 6-3 215 RD, A very tough physical late 95 birth date. Good skater,decent puck handling

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Anyone have info on Nikita Scherbak?
Forgive the spelling!

I don't know if this helps, but I found this article. His coach seems to think Scherbak has a good work ethic and has improved his defensive game.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=696364

It seems like he has decent height and has good hands. Is it crazy to say that I think he has a bit of Max-Pac in his style?

I guess it depends upon when the coach made this remark, I've heard that he's lazy and doesn't play a 200 ft game. His play in the Prospects game, he made a couple of rushes that were like Max Pac's.

Tinordi Ruxpin

Hey, C'mon Let's Go!
Jun 27, 2013
Moncton, NB
LW Vladimir Tkachev - Moncton Wildcats - 5'8 160 lbs

I know there's a few posters on here that have seen this kid play. Thoughts?

I've seen him play a few times since he came over from Russia and I'm definitely blown away from his skill level. Now, he is small, and we seem to have alot of these guys in the system already.

He's been fairly successful so far after ripping up the U18s and in the MHL. He also had a cup of coffee in the KHL this year. So far in Moncton he has 14 points in 8 games.

Where ultimately could this kid be drafted? 2nd or 3rd round?

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
If the talent is there at our pick, we need a top 6 player for starters.HOWEVER....if it's a choice between an iffy top 6 vs a fast skating, smart bruiser with NHL size, take the later.We still are too undersized in our prospects pool vs the rest of the league and that will take another 2-3 drafts to rectify.

We also are crying out for some trees back on the blueline.Pick no D under 6'1 unless he's got the game of Andrei Markov.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
BPA = Best Player Available this applies to the list made by the team drafting.

If it's the Habs list, it will include players of high character - ones that have integrity in habits.( hard work ethic & passion to be their best) Leadership qualities - players that make their team better, (tries to know his teammates and helps teach them good habits) by efforts on and off ice for the benefit of the team. These are reasons more Hab picks eventually play in the NHL, these types of people usually succeed in any endeavors they choose as a career.

The BPA list grows short when their criteria is followed, then the top thirty of many lists could only have ten Hab possibles, enlarging their list may take in a total of 120 players to make their top thirty. Of course a player like Collberg or Lehkonen can drop to them fortunately due to injuries or less viewing by other teams.

Detroit made their team for the last decade, from the teams that overlooked the positives and put to much stock on character/leadership and not enough on talent.
The Habs under Bergevin's regime have been very efficient on all facets, shown by the diversity of prospects drafted.

My conclusion is gain more draft choices and use the strength's of our front office staff to draft the cream of each draft, or at least the cream that slips to our cup and let it spill over into an embarrassment of riches as it once was with the Habitants in the past.:handclap: Please try to draft Barbashev, Tuch or both!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad