2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think trading down for 2 2nds is the likely scenario here. I don't see any one in our vicinity at 26 that is a definite must-have. Unless someone like Scherbak or Kempe are still on the board.

I guess we'll see, this could be a draft where after the first 15 we see some odd selections.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Awesome article. I wonder what it would have been for us....But no need to do that for the Canucks to know how bad they were....They were incredibly bad. But it's even worse when it's shown that way. :D

Habs certainly have missed some. This article makes me realize though how lucky we are to have a competent head scout like Timmins. We often complain about some missed players, but we're far from the worse on that aspect.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think trading down for 2 2nds is the likely scenario here. I don't see any one in our vicinity at 26 that is a definite must-have. Unless someone like Scherbak or Kempe are still on the board.

I guess we'll see, this could be a draft where after the first 15 we see some odd selections.

Thing is...have we often seen trades like that? A team that will give 2 2nd for a 26th pick? Just saw Panthers doing it to TBay to get their hands on Stewart. Even added a 6th round pick.

Analyzer*

Thing is...have we often seen trades like that? A team that will give 2 2nd for a 26th pick? Just saw Panthers doing it to TBay to get their hands on Stewart. Even added a 6th round pick.

Toronto gave up the 30th and 39th pick to move up to 22nd.

Spinorama2

Aug 27, 2013
FWIW

Mark Seidel ‏@MarkSeidel
DT: I’ve been slow to love Brett Pollock despite our Western Guy’s assurances but I was WRONG. This kid has huge upside & is undervalued!

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I wonder if a team like the Isles would be keen to trade their second for Nygren. I'd rather keep him but maybe the team don't want him around the team after his actions.

Spinorama2

Aug 27, 2013
I wonder if a team like the Isles would be keen to trade their second for Nygren. I'd rather keep him but maybe the team don't want him around the team after his actions.

i don't see the Isles making that move unless they are pretty sure that Nygren can make their top 6-8 this year. Is Nygren even interested in coming back if he is forced to play in the AHL?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Toronto gave up the 30th and 39th pick to move up to 22nd.

True. Though to this day, I still believe that this upcoming draft is weaker than those years. And we're talking about 26th here. I know, just 4 spots but it might be enough to not have something that interesting to be available.

Let's think this way....if we all feel it might be the way to go....why wouldn't a team that does have 2 2nd rounders not think that way too? I know, because maybe he will have somebody that interests him. I mean, for sure, Bergevin has to be a GM and ask those GM's if they are interested....and I obviously believe he will. I'M just not convince we will get any takes. But hey, we need to try.

Spinorama2

Aug 27, 2013
True. Though to this day, I still believe that this upcoming draft is weaker than those years. And we're talking about 26th here. I know, just 4 spots but it might be enough to not have something that interesting to be available.

Let's think this way....if we all feel it might be the way to go....why wouldn't a team that does have 2 2nd rounders not think that way too? I know, because maybe he will have somebody that interests him. I mean, for sure, Bergevin has to be a GM and ask those GM's if they are interested....and I obviously believe he will. I'M just not convince we will get any takes. But hey, we need to try.

as TinordiandSubban pointed out, all you need is for a team to fall in love with someone and they will usually initiate the contact.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
as TinordiandSubban pointed out, all you need is for a team to fall in love with someone and they will usually initiate the contact.

Yeah I know. Just evaluating the chances. But it could always happen even in the weakest of drafts....

Spinorama2

Aug 27, 2013
Yeah I know. Just evaluating the chances. But it could always happen even in the weakest of drafts....

i think there may be a better chance in a weak draft, if a team falls in love with a player and doesn't feel there is equal value around at their pick, they may be more likely to move up. In a stronger draft you may as well just wait for your turn as there will be plenty of available talent.

again, all based on team perception of talent

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
i think there may be a better chance in a weak draft, if a team falls in love with a player and doesn't feel there is equal value around at their pick, they may be more likely to move up. In a stronger draft you may as well just wait for your turn as there will be plenty of available talent.

again, all based on team perception of talent

Maybe. Or it's so weak that there's an equal value from 20 to 45.

pc_md

Jun 3, 2006

I think you overestimate Nygren's value. You see him through the eyes of a fan.

If I am another GM or another team's scout: what do I know about Nygren ? That he played half a season with Hamilton, wasn't even on the top pairing, had average numbers (especially for a 23 years old offensive minded dman) and that he flee home and might not want to come back in the AHL.

Oh and of course that he played two seasons in the SEL, one in which he was -10 (worst of his team) and the other one where he won that Salming trophy... which was also won by "stars" like :
Mikko Luoma
Marcus Ragnarsson
Magnus Johansson
David Runblad
Matthias Ekholm
Patrik Hersley.

Knowing that, would you give a second round pick for Nygren ?

I like the player. He has some potential and we could use his shot... But I do not think he has much value on the trading market.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
my mock drafts have been so boring :(. no 2nd/having a late 1st makes it really hard to do anything fun

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
this draft is less than exciting, and now we're picking 26th at best?

what'a lame draft.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
this draft is less than exciting, and now we're picking 26th at best?

what'a lame draft.

This is probably not a draft to find all stars in late rounds, after the top 20, but there's always suprises. And it could be a good draft to find players that can play usefull roles with the all star players (bottom 6, 2nd goalie, etc.)
Every draft are important...

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
We need draft picks for next year!!!
First (top 14), second, third round picks...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I could definitely see trading down and picking up Vanier since they tried to have behemoth Morin last year. Obviously not the same player, but Bergy does love character and size.

I also think, considering this playoff run, Bergy will look to add "warriors" and might feel Brendan Lemieux fills that role.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
I could definitely see trading down and picking up Vanier since they tried to have behemoth Morin last year. Obviously not the same player, but Bergy does love character and size.

I also think, considering this playoff run, Bergy will look to add "warriors" and might feel Brendan Lemieux fills that role.

Trading down is always a possibility. But it take two to tango.
1-If there's offers from other teams (at least one);
2-and if the team who has the selection prefer to bet on players that could go later in the draft.

I can imagine Bergevin and Timmins wanting that if their players in the first round are all gone. But, it's something you only know the day of the draft, and it's always a bet you take with the other teams who can select the players you want.

Wanna bet?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Trading down is always a possibility. But it take two to tango.
1-If there's offers from other teams (at least one);
2-and if the team who has the selection prefer to bet on players that could go later in the draft.

I can imagine Bergevin and Timmins wanting that if their players in the first round are all gone. But, it's something you only know the day of the draft, and it's always a bet you take with the other teams who can select the players you want.

Wanna bet?

It's an unspectacular draft, even at the top. I feel they will go the same way as last year and take the most effective player, not the best one.

Usually we can pinpoint specific Timmins targets, but I just don't see it. Perhaps some of the American defencemen like Jack Dougherty or Glover? Who knows. Seems like trading down is the most likely scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad