GDT: 2014 Gold Medal Game • Sweden vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Embarrassing putting blame on one single player in a team sport like hockey, it's like Salo's mistake vs Belarus.

>Fact is, Sweden should never put themselves in a position only relying on one goal playing teams like Finland or Belarus. With a 2-3 goal advantage 1 weak goal isn't a catastrophy, we simply have to get better. We already have superior talent and size, the rest is mental, we need some more fighting spirit like the finns and not slow starting the first 20 minutes.

The thing is, you shouldn't give a goal or two to team like Finland with godly goaltending

Bexx

Nov 22, 2008
Finland
And lol at all the swedes on social networks who happen to have a finnish last name and some finnish relatives like 2 centuries ago all go "HURRAY FINLAND"... I guess it's cool to cheer for a underdog who once in a while happen to win... Even the clock is right twice a day etc....

Oh come on, no need to bring the flames up again (not talking about Calgary, mind you). As far as Hockey is concerned, the "underdogs" have beaten you enough in recent years to make even the most adamant Tre Kronor Fans (you included, I guess) to think of the rivalry based on equal footing - if not reversing the focus of "underdogs"...

I learned my lesson (and will not be an a S S here anymore). Why don't you try also :)

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Try watching the Sportsgala of last year.

You don't seem to understand that the mudslinging
continues as long as SWE media and attitudes think
of FIN and "inferior" somehow.

It's not all Sweden's fault. I said BOTH do it.
But if you start cooking, then better make sure
you can also stand the heat of it.

It pisses off a lot of Finns when SWE can't admit
their own mistakes, doesn't clean up their own nest,
but point fingers before and after on someone else.

FIN press NEVER writes such **** about SWE as
SWE press writes about FIN both before and after.
But Finns can read what the SWE press says about them,
whereas Swedes can't do the vice versa.

The media controls the attitudes of the people.
The SWE media feeds the ancient "superioirity" ideas
to the public and afterwards the FIN media is stupid
enough to make a fuzz about what the SWE media
wrote about the Finns "again".

It's stupid warmongering. Irresponsible.
Sir. This is the best post of the night.

Coil

Aug 8, 2011
Helsinki
I felt so bad for the interviewed Swedish player. Unbelievable questions by the journalist. He should've ended the interview after about a minute, as he must have seen that this isn't working.

I also feel so bad for the Finns behaving stupidly in this thread. Can't you -we- for once be happy that we won, and not be happy that someone else lost? Apparently not.

I will never ever speak about Canadian hockey corruption again. Now I know how it feels being Canadian, when people like you are spitting out these absolute pathetic accusations.
Go home you are drunk, again...!
It seems that you have not heard about corruption scandals in European soccer. The court case that I mentioned as example which you need to know as benchmark how much proof you need to have before you can say that game was rigged. In my opinion that the save that Mishchuk didn not make is lesser proof than refeering in 3rd period. Three concencutive penalties which were so-and-so. In hockeyu games you might have couple of wrong calls but not three in row and only for one team. That is really unuasual.

The refereing this night was something that should trigger investigation. Im not saying that they are guilty, but this still should be investigated. In Finnish Soccer this kind of refereeing would result to somekind of investigation.

In Mishchuk case they tied his performance with two things - the bets made on that game and the money transfers on his bank account prior the game.

Im not accusing referees being corrupted but Im just saying that their performance this night should trigger investigation where they would study suspicious activites in placing the bets and on referees bank accounts.

What would be better time to "spit out these pathetic accusations" than after a glorious win? How do you justify that Im bitter now? Because my team won?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
The 16 teams before the Hawks knew he was as good as anyone skill wise, but were afraid his lack of size would hold him back. There's a good chance he'll dress for the Hawks come playoff time.

Also, it was a draft were a lot of the most skilled players were d-men...all but two of the top 10 picks were defense.

I don't know whether his size will hold him back or not - he's still kind of slight, but definitely bigger than at the draft. The good thing is that Chicago doesn't have to rush him - he can play when he's ready.

It's not clear yet whether he'll come over this year after his season with Jokerit is through. A lot of fans are assuming he will, but in an interview not too long ago Bowman made it sound like they'd decided yet. I know at the beginning of the season, Mark Kelley, the Hawks director of amateur scouting, made it sound like they were hopeful he'd get a chance to play at WC this year. I'm sure now WJC is over the Chicago writers will ask Bowman about him so hopefully we'll get an update soon.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Yeah and still the Finnish newspapers likes to wright about how Swedes are like girls etc, when a big game is comming up.

That's probably just retaliation what your papers write about us. If it's the (crappy, populist) news papers that define a country in this case, then what is Sweden? Some of your papers are horrible.

Must not forget to write about the main point, this is not to make you feel bad swedes, just to show what I think:
RISTOLAINEEEEEEEEN!!! RASMUS! RASMUS! RASMUS!!! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
The big reason why I don't feel for finns as I do with Norwegians and Danes is because with a large majority you have to communicate in English to have a dialouge... with Norweigan and Danes you can speak your native language and understand, if not everything, a large part... It's hard to see finns as "bro's" when you have to use a foreign language to communicate.

Oh come on. With the NOR yes, but it's already
difficult both ways when we speak SWE with
the DEN.

Actually, Danes often prefer to speak English
with us native Swedish speakers too.

Kharkov

Jun 28, 2013
Yeah and still the Finnish newspapers likes to wright about how Swedes are like girls etc, when a big game is comming up.
So I assume that in Sweden there aint tabloids that write rubbish? :)

What kind of questisions that journalist did ask?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
The thing is, you shouldn't give a goal or two to team like Finland with godly goaltending

You have a point but I still think Sweden was painfully ineffective the whole game and the first goal.......... wtf........... disaster.

Finland mostly played a like Russia have done the last years vs Sweden, boring defensive counter attack hockey.

I really, really wished we had faced Canada, I love these games. I can take losses to Canada but not to Finland. ;-)

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Really? That made me glad to hear :)

And I agree. We northernness are to much a like and should work together more. Well we already do, but I think we could do even better. At least here in Sweden. We get more reports from the media on what is happening in the USA then the other nordic countries put together. Swedish media (some of the worst) have had it in for Denmark the last 10 years or so, same with Finland and now with Norway (because of immigration) so perhaps it is just they trying to stir something up that is not there?
Yeah I would be weary of reading too much into what the media writes, some are not always classy, especially the tabloid ones of course. We haven't noticed the swedish media giving us some stick at all, or I haven't at least :p:

Jocke

Feb 9, 2010
I felt so bad for the interviewed Swedish player. Unbelievable questions by the journalist. He should've ended the interview after about a minute, as he must have seen that this isn't working.

I also feel so bad for the Finns behaving stupidly in this thread. Can't you -we- for once be happy that we won, and not be happy that someone else lost? Apparently not.

At first I was happy for Finland and for their success but after reading comments here and in Swedish newspaper.. Just.. wow.. Holy inferiority complex, batman!

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
It seems that you have not heard about corruption scandals in European soccer.

What would be better time to "spit out these pathetic accusations" than after a glorious win? How do you justify that Im bitter now? Because my team won?

Do people really feel this way about the refs? The Ref missed a couple of obvious calls the other way as well... I can only facepalm this madness. Just be happy and proud for god's sake!

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Please don't confuse the press and the people. I think we all know that a lot of the daily papers in both countries have horribly low journalistic standards and little to no integrity. They will write whatever they think will make money with no mind to the truth or the consequences. The tragedy is of course that a lot of sportfolk use these abominable outlets as their sources, because the more high-brow press doesn't pay as much attention to sport.

Tompa8989*

On twitter people are complaining but questions an interviewer was asking the swedish players??? anyone know what's that about.

The interview goes like this

Journalist Tomas Ros: How disappointed are you now?
Defensman Robert Hägg: I don't know how to explain, i am sickly fu***** tired of this anyway.
TR: You were on the ice at the deciding goal, how do you look at your contribution there?
RH: Miserable, it can be said bluntly. It cannot happen in these kinds of important games. It's really fu***** piss poor.
TR: Can you tell what happened?
RH: The puck goes up to Ristolainen and i just tried to be aggressive and put some pressure on him but it...it just simply went wrong and he goes around me, goes to the net and decides the final.
TR: How did you feel then?
RH: Well, what the ******* do you think? You feel miserable, totally worthless and just ********** piss poor at the moment.
TR: How do you rebound after this kind of loss, an OT loss?
RH: Well, i donät know right know but when you come home you have to go back to the ''everyday'' as usual, guess that's it.
TR: It feels like you are almost shaking?
RH: yeah well, maybe i am shaking, i'm really sad and angry at what happened. We believe that we were the better team, we had more scoring chances than the finns had but we did't get the puck in the net.
TR: Do you have anything to say to the swedes that have supported you?
RH: They have been totally amazing...That's the only thing i can say, it's just amazing to play out there when there is 12 000 cheering.
TR: What are you going to do with the silver medal?
RH: Right now i don't know, i already got one before so maybe i sell it to the best buyer, i don' know.
TR: You going to break down maybe?
RH: Maybe.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
At first I was happy for Finland and for their success but after reading comments here and in Swedish newspaper.. Just.. wow.. Holy inferiority complex, batman!

Well, if you have a soft spot for the Irish too, I would not suggest frequenting any anglo-irish sport sites either... These things are very silly, but they are not hugely important to be honest, people will troll, but they will also have great sports competitions too.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
uusinmega_kulta060114PK_820_ee.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad