GDT: 2014 Gold Medal Game • Sweden vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Point a Finn that seriously does that. I will never and that is absolutely never support Swedes in that kind of situations.

Lot's of Finns support Sweden in football, when the Finnish team fails to qualify as usual. Maybe not in hockey, because Sweden has beaten Finland on numerous occasions in a quite frustrating way (the late Sundin goals decades back etc...).

So yeah, Sweden gets support from Finland in sports. Though probably not from the rednecks, who see all foreign things as evil.

Nordic Pride

Jan 20, 2011
Sweden
I haven't read any comments yet so this comes as objective as it can from me.

The loss was brutal. It was supposed to be the perfect story with the perfect ending. Sweden win on home soil in front of a enthusiastic and patriotic home crowd. Team Sweden with so much more skill should have won this. But I give Finland full credit for the win. No "ifs" or "buts". No referees to thank. No "if it weren't for their goalie...", or anything else that coul've put their win in a shadow. Just very well executed game as a team. Being the "better team" means ****. I hate that ridicoulos "justice"-talk in sports. There's no ****ing justice. Score more goal than the opponents. That's it. But damn does it hurt to lose. And this isn't even the olympics. I'm not sure I want the olympics. The losses you have to take before your wins is too much...

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
There's idiots on both sides, but thankfully both Swedes and Finns have for the most part been pretty classy after this game. It's human nature to see past the faults of your own and only focus on the faults of others.

Swedes (media included) also tend to cheer for Finland over others when Sweden isn't involved, believe it or not.

I agree with you. There's bad blood on both sides.
But please realize, that I do read and watch SWE
media, books, movies etc on regular basis.

There's a reason why a lot of DEN or NOR or FIN
people would not cheer for SWE. Please realize that
and it's a good start.

It always breaks my heart, because my family is
and has "always" been spread around all Scandinavia
since before the Kalmar Union times.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
And lol at all the swedes on social networks who happen to have a finnish last name and some finnish relatives like 2 centuries ago all go "HURRAY FINLAND"... I guess it's cool to cheer for a underdog who once in a while happen to win... Even the clock is right twice a day etc....

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
Usually at many places in internet Finns are always saying this 6-1 thing for Swedes and they respond 3-2.
BUT maybe not anymore :D:naughty:

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
The big reason why I don't feel for finns as I do with Norwegians and Danes is because with a large majority you have to communicate in English to have a dialouge... with Norweigan and Danes you can speak your native language and understand, if not everything, a large part... It's hard to see finns as "bro's" when you have to use a foreign language to communicate.
This even though Swedish language is compulsory starting from upper school... :laugh:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
On twitter people are complaining but questions an interviewer was asking the swedish players??? anyone know what's that about.

Aftonbladet "journalist" Tomas Ros asked the most unbelievably stupid questions to Robert Hägg who made the mistake on the GWG. :shakehead

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
And lol at all the swedes on social networks who happen to have a finnish last name and some finnish relatives like 2 centuries ago all go "HURRAY FINLAND"... I guess it's cool to cheer for a underdog who once in a while happen to win... Even the clock is right twice a day etc....

not so long ago 6-1 ;)

nitz

Jul 27, 2009

Finland has more gold medals than Sweden at the WJC, so I'm not sure why you're saying that.

Rael

Dec 28, 2012
Vienna
The 16 teams before the Hawks knew he was as good as anyone skill wise, but were afraid his lack of size would hold him back. There's a good chance he'll dress for the Hawks come playoff time.

Come on... His size is already holding him back in Finland where he has a mere 3 (!) goals in 29 games to go along with just 14 assists. I don't even want to compare him to Barkov who scored WAY more while being two full years younger. Even guys like Pulkkinen scored at the same or a better rate in that league.

Still you want to see him in this years's playoffs against teams like the Kings, Blues and Ducks? Yeah right.
(And I actually think he was the best forward in this tournament.)

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I know you already said nit-picking, but I have to add that hockey is hard sport to play (like non licenced) because you need ice, alot of gear, skill to skate ect.. You can play floorball in school ect easily. But floorball, to me at least, has always been nothing more but hockey simulation without gears. Im lucky to play this sport of hockey but I know it's not as easy to get to play as other sports.

Fan-wise, hockey is biggest. Finnish hockey league is only "big league" that Finland has in any sports. One that really has alot fans, is talked about lot, many people (even pretty casual fans) know young good players like Teräväinen, Pokka, Saros, Granlund, Barkov, Armia ect.. Cant say the same about floorbal or even soccer league.

Also, if you compare it by money, football has HJK that is professional. Liiga has 14 professional teams and I think some Mestis teams (like Sport) are not that far behind.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Aftonbladet "journalist" Tomas Ros asked the most unbelievably stupid questions to Robert Hägg who made the mistake on the GWG. :shakehead

there was a mistake? honestly thought it was superhuman effort from ristolainen and clever play from teräväinen. need to replay that.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Congrads to Finland, they had a monster defensive core and played their hearts out defensively to win.

The goal screamed Zibanejad 2.0.

Sweden shouldn't be sad, they played a fantastic game as well.

Tompa8989*

First week of January and already we have the Post of the Year.

My Pleasure :) Ever heard of reversed jinx? As i wrote eralier, i hate this Swedish team. Think the coach is an arrogant **** and they choosed their personal favourites at the defense instead of the best.

But i really prefer our nine World Championships and our two Olympic gold medals in front of Finlands two World Championship and zero olympic gold medals :laugh:

EverybodyLovesRay

Sep 21, 2008
Finland care about the rivarly but we don't care that much, it's a huge myth. Finland suffering from little brother complex in a big way.

We think the rivarly is funny, Finland is more of an annoyment, irritation on our way to gold.

The game vs Canada is way more intense and physical comparing the playing defensive counter attack teams like Finland and Russia.

I like Finns because of their Sisu and fighting spirit, sometimes I wish we (Swedes) had more of that.

And that's a swedish myth. There isn't a single reason why finns should feel that way, there used to be decades ago, but not anymore.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
I agree with you. There's bad blood on both sides.
But please realize, that I do read and watch SWE
media, books, movies etc on regular basis.

There's a reason why a lot of DEN or NOR or FIN
people would not cheer for SWE. Please realize that
and it's a good start.

It always breaks my heart, because my family is
and has "always" been spread around all Scandinavia
since before the Kalmar Union times.

What's your reason for dislikning Sweden?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

Embarrassing putting blame on one single player in a team sport like hockey, it's like Salo's mistake vs Belarus.

>Fact is, Sweden should never put themselves in a position only relying on one goal playing teams like Finland or Belarus. With a 2-3 goal advantage 1 weak goal isn't a catastrophy, we simply have to get better. We already have superior talent and size, the rest is mental, we need some more fighting spirit like the finns and not slow starting the first 20 minutes.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
The big reason why I don't feel for finns as I do with Norwegians and Danes is because with a large majority you have to communicate in English to have a dialouge... with Norweigan and Danes you can speak your native language and understand, if not everything, a large part... It's hard to see finns as "bro's" when you have to use a foreign language to communicate.

This always amazes me... Most Swedes dont even know about us. 350.000 Finns talk swedish as their homelanguage. We`re swedish speaking Finns. A minority in our country. We root for Finland, Finns think we root for Sweden and Swedes dont even know we exist.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
there was a mistake? honestly thought it was superhuman effort from ristolainen and clever play from teräväinen. need to replay that.

That interview was worthless. I dont like when reporters ask questions they probably would not even ask a grown man to junior players this close to the final whistle when they have lost.

And I did not think it was a mistake by the swede but a really good move by the finn to win the game. But that´s Swedish reporters for you. :shakehead

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Being the "better team" means ****. I hate that ridicoulos "justice"-talk in sports. There's no ****ing justice. Score more goal than the opponents. That's it.
This sounds familiar for us Finns... :D Finland certainly has had enough of these "moral victories" in gold medal games (on men's level), and have resulted in lots of discussion about lack of winning culture and so on. So this background makes this win feel a bit odd in fact, because we've used to losing by dominating the game.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
And that's a swedish myth. There isn't a single reason why finns should feel that way, there used to be decades ago, but not anymore.

Yup. But the Swedes who are saying this, are the "trolls". They are the problem guys. I wouldn't talk with one.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Only place i support sweden is skijumping and if swedish is competing against norwegian in cross-country skiing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad