GDT: 2014 Gold Medal Game • Sweden vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
He had 4-5 point games against Russia, Canada, Finland and the Czechs, I think he can be proud of that.

I think anyone who tries to take away any credit
from Peter Forsberg's achievements is either ignorant
or trolling.

Definitively one of the biggest hockey players ever.

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
I dont really understand some swedes reaction. So what, we got beaten by a team that played smart. Finland earned the win, we didnt give it to them.

And reading up on some of the remarks on sweden vs. Finland, big brother complex and so on. Whats up with that? Im pretty shure most swedes (and finns) know that sweden is full of people with finnish ancestry and v.v.? Im from a small industrial town in Sweden and 100% finn by blood. Brothers?, maybe thats why we bicker a lot. Another clue is to read swedish and finnish history. Time for another beer. No workday tomorrow :)

Last edited by a moderator:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
The interview goes like this

Journalist Tomas Ros: How disappointed are you now?
Defensman Robert Hägg: I don't know how to explain, i am sickly fu***** tired of this anyway.
TR: You were on the ice at the deciding goal, how do you look at your contribution there?
RH: Miserable, it can be said bluntly. It cannot happen in these kinds of important games. It's really fu***** piss poor.
TR: Can you tell what happened?
RH: The puck goes up to Ristolainen and i just tried to be aggressive and put some pressure on him but it...it just simply went wrong and he goes around me, goes to the net and decides the final.
TR: How did you feel then?
RH: Well, what the ******* do you think? You feel miserable, totally worthless and just ********** piss poor at the moment.
TR: How do you rebound after this kind of loss, an OT loss?
RH: Well, i donät know right know but when you come home you have to go back to the ''everyday'' as usual, guess that's it.
TR: It feels like you are almost shaking?
RH: yeah well, maybe i am shaking, i'm really sad and angry at what happened. We believe that we were the better team, we had more scoring chances than the finns had but we did't get the puck in the net.
TR: Do you have anything to say to the swedes that have supported you?
RH: They have been totally amazing...That's the only thing i can say, it's just amazing to play out there when there is 12 000 cheering.
TR: What are you going to do with the silver medal?
RH: Right now i don't know, i already got one before so maybe i sell it to the best buyer, i don' know.
TR: You going to break down maybe?
RH: Maybe.

Going all 'Barbara Walters' on some devastated 18 year old :facepalm:

I didn't think he was even that bad on the play. I mean Ristolainen is a big guy and was going really hard to the net.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I think anyone who tries to take away any credit
from Peter Forsberg's achievements is either ignorant
or trolling.

Definitively one of the biggest hockey players ever.

185cm and 95kg... Not that big :laugh: (just kidding)

Tompa8989*

Try watching the Sportsgala of last year.

You don't seem to understand that the mudslinging
continues as long as SWE media and attitudes think
of FIN and "inferior" somehow.

It's not all Sweden's fault. I said BOTH do it.
But if you start cooking, then better make sure
you can also stand the heat of it.

It pisses off a lot of Finns when SWE can't admit
their own mistakes, doesn't clean up their own nest,
but point fingers before and after on someone else.

FIN press NEVER writes such **** about SWE as
SWE press writes about FIN both before and after.
But Finns can read what the SWE press says about them,
whereas Swedes can't do the vice versa.

The media controls the attitudes of the people.
The SWE media feeds the ancient "superioirity" ideas
to the public and afterwards the FIN media is stupid
enough to make a fuzz about what the SWE media
wrote about the Finns "again".

It's stupid warmongering. Irresponsible.

Wow...I think i have never seen the whole Sportgalan ever but i have never come across what you write here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I'm worried for Robert Hägg, he need to meet a couple of psychiatrists quickly.

He is putting way too much blame on himself.

I do like his passion and heart for the game but it's better immediately beginning thinking about revenge. It's better getting angry vs getting sad.

I see a lot of similarities from the loss vs Belarus in the Olympics were Salo took all the blame.

We win as a team, we loose as a team.

We have a great new generation, I'm proud.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Aftonbladet "journalist" Tomas Ros asked the most unbelievably stupid questions to Robert Hägg who made the mistake on the GWG. :shakehead

I agree. Ros being an idiot.
But credits to Hagg for coming in front of the cameras.
That shows a lot of back bone.
This padowan will have plenty of good days ahead.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I dont really understand some swedes reaction and being such sore losers. So what, we got beaten by a team that played smart. Finland earned the win, we didnt give it to them.

And reading up on some of the remarks on sweden vs. Finland, big brother complex and so on. Whats up with that? Im pretty shure most swedes (and finns) know that sweden is full of people with finnish ancestry and v.v.? Im from a small industrial town in Sweden and 100% finn by blood. Brothers?, maybe thats why we bicker a lot. Another clue is to read swedish and finnish history. Time for another beer. No workday tomorrow :)
Good post. Finland has lots of people with Swedish roots and about 700.000 people in Sweden has Finnish roots in their veins.

Last edited:

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I'm worried for Robert Hägg, he need to meet a couple of psychiatrists quickly.

He is putting way too much blame on himself.

I do like his passion and heart for the game but it's better immediately beginning thinking about revenge. It's better getting angry vs getting sad.

I see a lot of similarities from the loss vs Belarus in the Olympics were Salo took all the blame.

We win as a team, we loose as a team.

We have a great new generation, I'm proud.

Yeah, that's not really on him... He seemed totally gassed in OT, coach should've seen that his hardnosed style had taken it's toll on such a young player. RR took advantage and made a brilliant play.

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
Heres this Finlands 1994 age groups pohjola-camp video from 2009 where most of these players met first time

5 years after that they win the gold :handclap:

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
What's your reason for dislikning Sweden?

I don't dislike Sweden at all. I love it as my "second home".

I can't describe you how it feels when I drive my motorbike
each summer from Brussels to Finland. It's a trip of about
2000 km one way.

Sometimes the eastern way, sometimes the western way.
But always when I get to Denmark, it starts feeling more
and more like "home". Because I can relate to many places
as being part of my heritage.

When I get to Sweden and start seeing the forests, I am
home even before I get to Finland.

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
I don't dislike Sweden at all. I love it as my "second home".

I can't describe you how it feels when I drive my motorbike
each summer from Brussels to Finland. It's a trip of about
2000 km one way.

Sometimes the eastern way, sometimes the western way.
But always when I get to Denmark, it starts feeling more
and more like "home". Because I can relate to many places
as being part of my heritage.

When I get to Sweden and start seeing the forests, I am
home even before I get to Finland.

A finnish poet?? ;)

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
No, the only one (1) is training with the Norwegians last time I heard.

Well, our legendary Jan Boklöv invented and pioneered the V-style, winning the World Cup in 1988/89, best in the world.

That's what we do in Sweden, we invent things. ;-)

Tompa8989*

This always amazes me... Most Swedes dont even know about us. 350.000 Finns talk swedish as their homelanguage. We`re swedish speaking Finns. A minority in our country. We root for Finland, Finns think we root for Sweden and Swedes dont even know we exist.

That sir is bullcrap. Most swedes know that there is an swedish talking minority in Finland. Too bad you have politicians that wants to ship you all out of the country though.:handclap:

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
The interview goes like this

Journalist Tomas Ros: How disappointed are you now?
Defensman Robert Hägg: I don't know how to explain, i am sickly fu***** tired of this anyway.
TR: You were on the ice at the deciding goal, how do you look at your contribution there?
RH: Miserable, it can be said bluntly. It cannot happen in these kinds of important games. It's really fu***** piss poor.
TR: Can you tell what happened?
RH: The puck goes up to Ristolainen and i just tried to be aggressive and put some pressure on him but it...it just simply went wrong and he goes around me, goes to the net and decides the final.
TR: How did you feel then?
RH: Well, what the ******* do you think? You feel miserable, totally worthless and just ********** piss poor at the moment.
TR: How do you rebound after this kind of loss, an OT loss?
RH: Well, i donät know right know but when you come home you have to go back to the ''everyday'' as usual, guess that's it.
TR: It feels like you are almost shaking?
RH: yeah well, maybe i am shaking, i'm really sad and angry at what happened. We believe that we were the better team, we had more scoring chances than the finns had but we did't get the puck in the net.
TR: Do you have anything to say to the swedes that have supported you?
RH: They have been totally amazing...That's the only thing i can say, it's just amazing to play out there when there is 12 000 cheering.
TR: What are you going to do with the silver medal?
RH: Right now i don't know, i already got one before so maybe i sell it to the best buyer, i don' know.
TR: You going to break down maybe?
RH: Maybe.

I wish someone slapped Ros.
With a 2 by 4.
Assh*le.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
What a nerve wrecking match that was.. I love and hate these finals against Sweden. They played well.. very well!

I dont like these stabs at losing country or winning country and to someone judging all Finns/Swedish based on those doesnt just get it. I personally dont have anything against Swedish but i hate to loose them the most.

Very proud of our young Lions!

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Well, our legendary Jan Boklöv invented and pioneered the V-style, winning the World Cup in 1988/89, best in the world.

That's what we do in Sweden, we invent things. ;-)

Well we do have a lot of rocket scientists so... just kidding :)

Anyway. Again congratulations to team Finland who took every one by surprise by beating the 3 gold candidates to win the gold for them self. And I am proud of the Swedish team who had a wonderful tournament and the city of Malmö who managed to arranged a really good tournament.

I hope for just as much excitement next year. And remember "Finlands sak är vår".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->