GDT: 2014 Gold Medal Game • Sweden vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
It will get a lot of media coverage tomorrow, but the general public isn't very intrested in the tournament.

WHC or Olympic gold on the other hand...
I agree, #1 headline maybe but overall much behind WHC/Olympics coveraga. As an exampe, on mainstream forum the thread had only few pages until the semi against CAN. Now the thread has of course exploded, but I bet majority of the posters now did not watch a single game before QF or semis.

Of course, the whole tournament not being on free-to-view channels is a major obstacle.

Should bode well for the 2016 home tournament though.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
How big of a deal is this in Finland?

Does this win get national coverage and big deal?

How big is hockey in Finland (#1 or is it #2 sport?) and will this victory mean for hockey Finland?

Right now this is a country of 5 million bandwagoners. It was easy to see just by logging in to FB.
The real fans have been watching some looping VLC streams for the whole tournament, but it seems
that everybody jumped to the bandwagon after Fin and Swe made it to the finals

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
very happy for the finn's...i dont know why (maybe having teemu, saku, and sami V on my team) but i have grown very fond of the finn's and always seem to pull for them.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
So basically, it's all Sweden's fault? Try reading some comments on e.g. aftonbladet.se

Try watching the Sportsgala of last year.

You don't seem to understand that the mudslinging
continues as long as SWE media and attitudes think
of FIN and "inferior" somehow.

It's not all Sweden's fault. I said BOTH do it.
But if you start cooking, then better make sure
you can also stand the heat of it.

It pisses off a lot of Finns when SWE can't admit
their own mistakes, doesn't clean up their own nest,
but point fingers before and after on someone else.

FIN press NEVER writes such **** about SWE as
SWE press writes about FIN both before and after.
But Finns can read what the SWE press says about them,
whereas Swedes can't do the vice versa.

The media controls the attitudes of the people.
The SWE media feeds the ancient "superioirity" ideas
to the public and afterwards the FIN media is stupid
enough to make a fuzz about what the SWE media
wrote about the Finns "again".

It's stupid warmongering. Irresponsible.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I think with some nit-picking you get others to go ahead, like pesäpallo (Finnish version of baseball) is the national sport and floorball/football has more people playing them (like non-licensed), but like said, that is nit-picking.

I know you already said nit-picking, but I have to add that hockey is hard sport to play (like non licenced) because you need ice, alot of gear, skill to skate ect.. You can play floorball in school ect easily. But floorball, to me at least, has always been nothing more but hockey simulation without gears. Im lucky to play this sport of hockey but I know it's not as easy to get to play as other sports.

Fan-wise, hockey is biggest. Finnish hockey league is only "big league" that Finland has in any sports. One that really has alot fans, is talked about lot, many people (even pretty casual fans) know young good players like Teräväinen, Pokka, Saros, Granlund, Barkov, Armia ect.. Cant say the same about floorbal or even soccer league.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine

Amen brother.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
very happy for the finn's...i dont know why (maybe having teemu, saku, and sami V on my team) but i have grown very fond of the finn's and always seem to pull for them.

I hope you enjoy with us then! Looking forward to ducks. I'm sure guys have watched this game at teemus house or something and will be very inspired to play tonight!

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I asked before and no one responded so I must be the only one...

Just like the Golden Goal in Vancouver, I am disappointed at the lack of T.V. angles - I didn't even know it went in.

Please upload any addition views.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
The big reason why I don't feel for finns as I do with Norwegians and Danes is because with a large majority you have to communicate in English to have a dialouge... with Norweigan and Danes you can speak your native language and understand, if not everything, a large part... It's hard to see finns as "bro's" when you have to use a foreign language to communicate.

Isola

Dec 4, 2012
Finland
Linus Arnesson sågar finländarnas spel.
– De spelar 30-talshockey, bara står och väntar, säger han.

gw-itku2.gif

Jag tycker synd om dem. I feel sorry for them :(

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Point a Finn that seriously does that. I will never and that is absolutely never support Swedes in that kind of situations.

Finland care about the rivarly but we don't care that much, it's a huge myth. Finland suffering from little brother complex in a big way.

We think the rivarly is funny, Finland is more of an annoyment, irritation on our way to gold.

The game vs Canada is way more intense and physical comparing the playing defensive counter attack teams like Finland and Russia.

I like Finns because of their Sisu and fighting spirit, sometimes I wish we (Swedes) had more of that.

Last edited:

Petri1981

Dec 20, 2013
Cant win a game if you cant score one even strength goal. We needed several PPs and scored 2. Finland scored 3 and all even strength goals.

Last edited by a moderator:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Obviously you wanna make a point. So do I, and it is irrelevant.
But you can focus on what ever you want. Im going to focus on the impressiv game the finns put up today.
All the Canadian fans I met down in Malmö were super friendly and nice (as always).
But you for some reason wanna kick some extra dirt in our faces for some reason.

What? How am I kicking dirt in your face?

I've already said Sweden was the most offensive and explosive team and a joy to watch. The gold medal game could have gone either way.

This all started because a Finnish poster said the Canadian fans at the arena were all cheering for Sweden. I responded back that most probably wanted the underdog to win (Finland) but got into the festive atmosphere and cheered for Sweden. Plus the fact it would be kind of stupid to cheer against Sweden when there's 11,000 Swedish fans sitting around you.

My post wasn't meant to be disrespectful in any way.

Hoyhoy

Jan 5, 2014
Right now this is a country of 5 million bandwagoners. It was easy to see just by logging in to FB.
The real fans have been watching some looping VLC streams for the whole tournament, but it seems
that everybody jumped to the bandwagon after Fin and Swe made it to the finals

Ye it is kinda sad actually. And saddest thing is that it's only because we won Sweden. If the finals were against some other country like Canada people would barely note the victory. Finns just want to win Sweden. Maybe people are just clueless but most of the Swedes that I've met atleast area great people and we even share the passion for hockey.

On the whole supporting stuff. I really don't care who wins if Finland drops out but I usually root for Canada or Sweden. Canadians are just great at hockey and their country is really crazy about it. Always pleasure to see them win. Sweden just reminds me of Finland. Not so big but still has great players and team(usually even better than ours). Even though I really wanted Switzerland to win the last WC... Only country I have something against in hockey is Russia.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
The big reason why I don't feel for finns as I do with Norwegians and Danes is because with a large majority you have to communicate in English to have a dialouge... with Norweigan and Danes you can speak your native language and understand, if not everything, a large part... It's hard to see finns as "bro's" when you have to use a foreign language to communicate.

I see. But to be honest, nothing can spoil this feeling. Even if you don't respect us as much as other neighbors. I, for one, will once act class after this win. I hope it rebounds if Sweden wins against us again.

Bexx

Nov 22, 2008
Finland

Excellent post. To be honest, I haven't followed Swedish media that closely to say anything specific about it, but all this "warmongering" sounds very familiar.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Yes. Swedes came here armed and conquered us. Thats what I'd call oppression. It was Russian empire who gave us the autonomy. Not a big surprise from u, Ã…land wants Sweden right.:)

But its not history lesson so lets rock. :yo:

Just a couple of points:

-The lyrics were written in the 1940's, so that should tell you something.
-Finland never drove Sweden away. The eastern part of Sweden was conquered by an other empire.
-Sweden (including modern day Finland) was the first country in the world to ban slavery in the 14th century.
-I'm not from Ã…land, I just like to have an "exotic" flag.

I'll leave it at that.

zwo a vier

Jan 5, 2014
Helsinki
WOOP WOOP! Unbelievable feeling, our rec. hockey team was having a ice tonite, and we had tablets streaming live game at both benches. The longest shifts of my "career". RR#5 u my new god?!

Bexx

Nov 22, 2008
Finland

Jag kan, inget problem :)

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Try going to one of the bigger danish football discussion pages and you will see most rooted for Sweden during your recent WC qual. vs Portugal. A lot root for Germany too here, when we are not in it ourself. I don't know how Norwegians looks at swedes, but I'm guessing no one in scandinavia has an inferior complex, we are too much alike ;)

Really? That made me glad to hear :)

And I agree. We northernness are to much a like and should work together more. Well we already do, but I think we could do even better. At least here in Sweden. We get more reports from the media on what is happening in the USA then the other nordic countries put together. Swedish media (some of the worst) have had it in for Denmark the last 10 years or so, same with Finland and now with Norway (because of immigration) so perhaps it is just they trying to stir something up that is not there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad