2014 Free Agency drags on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm thinking SJS probably could use Franson. Their defence doesn't have that much offensive upside after Burns, who might play upfront again, and Demers. Vlasic, Irwin and Braun aren't exactly great offensively.

Franson playing 15-16 minutes a night and first PP minutes would be pretty good for them. They can also easily afford Franson.

But what do I know.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm thinking SJS probably could use Franson. Their defence doesn't have that much offensive upside after Burns, who might play upfront again, and Demers. Vlasic, Irwin and Braun aren't exactly great offensively.

Franson playing 15-16 minutes a night and first PP minutes would be pretty good for them. They can also easily afford Franson.

But what do I know.

Maybe teams are waiting to see what happens in arbitration.

If Franson played defense at even strength and only played in the offensive zone on the PP he'd be fine as a 3rd. pairing defender.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada

But what do I know.

Going off initial reaction without any research but I would trade Franson for any of them in a heartbeat

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Going off initial reaction without any research but I would trade Franson for any of them in a heartbeat

Well of course you would. They wouldn't though.

You're probably looking at a mid round pick with perhaps a depth type prospect.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Can we just create a thread about Cody Franson and where he should go?

The main board has 100 threads about him being traded and every trade proposal here has one.

Can we just get one centralized?

Here's what I wrote about him in his arbitration thread.

This off-season is the ONLY time that they Leafs have for trading him and here's why:

1. Asset Management - Other defensive prospects are coming through the pipeline and with his projected salary said to taking up a lot (approx. 3.5), there are other areas needed to be addressed.

2. Best Value is Now - With 1 more year before he hits UFA, many teams will just wait until next off-season when he could potentially walk. I'm going to assume that after 2 consecutive summers of negotiating a contract, he will go somewhere that can guarantee him the money and term. And based on the contracts that were handed out this current off-season, he could get 5mill from a team. Sounds crazy, but Kulemin got just over 4 and Nikitin got 4.5.

Also of note, the Leafs constantly do this with their assets. They have a hard time figuring out when the best time to walk away from a contract and move forward with a player. One summer, they lock up Grabovski after turning down a 1st round pick for him and the next summer they buy him out. If the Leafs feel that they are going to be a bubble team (anywhere from 6-10) again this year, then why not ship him out and see what you've got in Percy, MacWilliam, Granberg, etc.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Yeah Fransons gotta go, i suspect he will.

He still has some value we will get more then just a pick.

Maybe Cody will be in a package or possibly straight up for a prospect.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
The score- Leafs, Franson likely to aavoid arbitration with 'last minute deal' prior to hearing monday
Hmmm...

How many minutes are left?

Franson is finished as a Leaf. It's only a question of what can Nonis get back for him.

BB

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the Leafs should look into Michael Del Zotto as a "Mason Raymond" type reclamation on a cheap contract. Give him 1-2 years on a cheap contract and see if he can stick. If he rebounds you have an extra asset on your hands. He's got good wheels so he's already more desirable than having Franson back there, though apparently the Rangers offered him up for Franson and we didn't bite.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Josh Rimer @JoshRimerHockey · 2h

There are reports that #Leafs Cody Franson is close to signing and avoiding arbitration.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
James Mirtle @mirtle · 3h

I still believe Leafs intend to move Franson though. Lot of decisions up in the air, even come training camp.

James Mirtle @mirtle · 3h

Rumblings are Leafs and Franson will likely avoid arbitration with last minute deal tomorrow. Probably just split the difference.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Josh Rimer @JoshRimerHockey · 2h

There are reports that #Leafs Cody Franson is close to signing and avoiding arbitration.

James-Franco-Drinking-Water-laughing-to-shock.gif

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Caryle just needs to drill into Cody's head not to pinch under any circumstance. Plug him in the bottom pairing and I think he would be okay there.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I believe MDZ and Stamkos are close buds so that might help us in pushing Stamkos o pull a Lebron.

I don't know where this came from but I'll buy it if stamkos ever comes over here...He might be the one and only toronto born superstar player that wants to come here before his prime but anyways...Let's hope it happens.

Ugh this place is too dead...the arbitration hearing **** should be done and we should see some trade.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Philip danault a guy we should go for..still rotting in the hawks system....long development but he would be a solid guy to add to the lockerroom with awesome character.

Another guy who has fallen of the radar is Mcneill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad