2014 Free Agency drags on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle Doobas*

As much hate as Snow gets from people, myself included, he has built a solid core from the looks of it
If you have a team that has been that bad for that long, and has had that many 1st round selections, you could literally just draft the highest-ranked available player according to NHL Central Scouting with every pick, every year and end up with a fairly solid core.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Grabo and Kulemin on the second-line will be good for the Islanders. If they can find someone with decent passing/finishing to hitch a ride with them, they've got secondary-scoring set. I think the Islanders make the playoffs this year. Especially with Halak. I don't think he's a legit #1, but he shows those flashes of brilliance that will be good enough for the playoffs. With JT and the playoffs, the Islanders could go to the semis or at least quarters.

Boston is the only true contender in the East so yeah it is possible they win a round or two.

But personally, I think a poor defense will really hold that team back for at least the next few years.

And I would wait a year before I trade kadri as he will probably rebound and get 60ish points. If Johansen slumps too like I think he will you could probably even do a 1 for 1 swap.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Kadri + Nylander

Kadri + Rielly

Kadri + 2015 first + 2016 2nd

Which one?

I was thinking about this too, since there is no news of a new contract coming any time soon. I have a feeling we will see a 1 year deal right before the season starts. Cbj might be willing to move him to save themselves the headache, but it won't come cheap. Id love for Kadri to be the center piece of the deal, but cbj will want more. The leafs will most likely not contend next season, so giving up the picks will be a mistake. Nylander and Reilly look to be main pieces of our future core. Nylander is our only elite forward prospect, we cannot trade our best chip. Reilly looks to be a stud, and is valued as our future top defenseman. None of these trades work for the leafs, its unfortunate because we are desperate as fans for an elite #1C like Johansson can become but it creates more holes than it fills. We dont have the extra assets needed to acquire him.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Kadri + Nylander

Kadri + Rielly

Which one?

I love seeing people put down these kind of deals and say that's only a start to get the player someone asks about. But then that player actually gets traded, and he gets traded for a package that would get laughed at if it was proposed here.

beer123

Nov 15, 2009
I love seeing people put down these kind of deals and say that's only a start to get the player someone asks about. But then that player actually gets traded, and he gets traded for a package that would get laughed at if it was proposed here.

Cool story. Let me know when that happens that's related to my post.

beer123

Nov 15, 2009
I was thinking about this too, since there is no news of a new contract coming any time soon. I have a feeling we will see a 1 year deal right before the season starts. Cbj might be willing to move him to save themselves the headache, but it won't come cheap. Id love for Kadri to be the center piece of the deal, but cbj will want more. The leafs will most likely not contend next season, so giving up the picks will be a mistake. Nylander and Reilly look to be main pieces of our future core. Nylander is our only elite forward prospect, we cannot trade our best chip. Reilly looks to be a stud, and is valued as our future top defenseman. None of these trades work for the leafs, its unfortunate because we are desperate as fans for an elite #1C like Johansson can become but it creates more holes than it fills. We dont have the extra assets needed to acquire him.

I agree with everything you said. Johansen will probably get a one year deal. The BJs wont be trading their best player after they just made the playoffs, certainly not for another playing who will be coming off a bridge deal looking for a large payday in a year (Kadri) as the center piece.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Kadri + Nylander

Kadri + Rielly

Which one?

Dont think any of those get the job done.

Maybe Kadri + 2015 first (Unprotected obviously) + Nylander/Reilly/Gardiner

Which I wouldnt do.

Best shot at RJ is by offersheeting him.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach

Cool story. Let me know when that happens that's related to my post.

It's very much related. The kind of package people on these forums are expecting of Johansen or any other young star player is really out of whack. Grass is greener on the other side syndrome is a serious condition and one that affects most Leafs' related trades on this site.

If anything, buying high and selling low is one of the worst ways to run a business.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
You would jump on something like Johansen if you detect a team that's about to panic or do something stupid. That would mean something like Kadri and a second rounder (before you reply - I fully understand that this would not be fair value for Columbus). You never know... sometimes these salary disputes can get personal... or the GM hates the agent... or the player isn't with the program... but usually the team wins if they're smart and something gets done. After all, what is the alternative for the player? Driving a truck? KHL? Selling jeans at Old Navy?

If it has to be a fair trade (several of which were suggested above), then there's no way. It's hard to improve your team through fair trades unless you have a real excess of talent in some area... and we just don't have that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad