2014 Free Agency drags on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Phanuef prefering the right side, may be the reason, that should Franson get awarded a contract, that the Leafs don't want to carry, they will trade him and promote Granberg and Holzer or MacWilliam.

Yeah, Franson getting traded for sure. I really don't see how we need any more defensemen. Holzer and MacWilliam will be the 6th and 7th defensemen.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I still hope we sign another Dman to a one year deal like Salo, Morris or Del Zotto because of his very high potential.

Depth on D is key when injuries kick in and every season the # 1 piece teams are looking to trade for is capable Dman so it'd be nice to have a potential extra trade chip.

Granberg + Percy should be slatted as # 7 or first call ups. If they bust the door down they'll get their chance but they are just as likely to benefit from top AHL minutes with 20-40 NHL games this season.

I don't feel comfortable with Holzer any higher then # 7 on the depth chart.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
just dion, robi, polak and granberg.. Phaneuf can always move to LD, i think he'll be better there anyways.

edit: forgot about franson

Carlyle tried getting Phaneuf on the left side all of the lockout season which is why guys like Kostka + Holzer who are righties were getting top pairing minutes.

Phaneuf played a more quiet but effective game on the left side.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Our blue line would have looked fantastic if we had pulled off the Franson for Gorges trade

Gorges Phaneuf
Gardiner Robidas
Reilly Polak
Percy/Holzer/Granberg

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sure it would have. Would have allowed Phaneuf to focus on offense.

Gorges-Subban worked, so could Gorges-Phaneuf

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Oh I agree signing him long term for a solid cap hit like Kulikov isn't a bad risk to take .. However Kulikov's contract is only 3 years, no?

I'd try to lock Gardiner up for 5 years or so for that price over 3 years .. for 3 years or less I'd like to see a deal less than $3.25 on average

Personally speaking of course

Okay fair on the 3 year idea of keeping it lower.

As long as we are thinking the same as it being worth it long term to sign him for similar money to Kulikov.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I still hope we sign another Dman to a one year deal like Salo, Morris or Del Zotto because of his very high potential.

Depth on D is key when injuries kick in and every season the # 1 piece teams are looking to trade for is capable Dman so it'd be nice to have a potential extra trade chip.

Granberg + Percy should be slatted as # 7 or first call ups. If they bust the door down they'll get their chance but they are just as likely to benefit from top AHL minutes with 20-40 NHL games this season.

I don't feel comfortable with Holzer any higher then # 7 on the depth chart.

We don't really need another defenseman though. They're decent, but they may not even crack the roster.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That doesn't answer anything.

It answers everything

post-9421-Daryl-Dixon-Shhh-gif-1FcQ.gif

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Our d is not set... We have no top pair shutdown guy to play with Dion as of now.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Is there an upgrade to a current position that Cody Franson could actually get the Leafs in return?

i'd say draft or a prospect in any position.

if it's an nhler, then he'd have to be part of a package imo. i doubt we could pry an existing top 6 for him right now.

our bottom 6 is filled within our org and fas, so i don't see a trade there making sense. our d is set with

phaneuf, robidas, polak, rielly, gardiner and any of granberg, macwilliam, percy, knodel.

i'd be happy with a 2nd or 3rd in next year's draft. (basically what holland was worth).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad