2014 Free Agency drags on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I would definitely do a 3 year deal around 13M for Gardiner like Kulikov. Well worth the risk for his skillset.

I'd probably prefer a 2 year bridge deal but sometimes giving more term for a bit more money can save you a lot of hassle in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Gardiner long term is our #3.

This season he is likely our #2.

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas/Polak
????? - Robidas/Polak

Last spot is filled by Percy, Granberg, or MacWilliam. Holzer will be our 7th D I think

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
^ Agree with Cor, I think he'll make a very good #3 defenseman in the long term but will get his shot playing with Phaneuf next year (ultimately I think Rielly will have the reigns on that spot though) .. I see Rielly as our #1 d-man, Phaneuf as a #2, and Gards at #3

In the next 3-5 seasons I figure the defense to look something along these lines (granted A LOT can change in that time)

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - ______
______ - _______

Those blank spots will be filled in with a combination of Percy, Granberg, Finn or any of the other D prospects that seem to be blossoming in the system with a combination of a veteran presence in the mix (perhaps Polak could be that guy)

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas/Polak
????? - Robidas/Polak

Last spot is filled by Percy, Granberg, or MacWilliam. Holzer will be our 7th D I think

^ Agree with Cor, I think he'll make a very good #3 defenseman in the long term but will get his shot playing with Phaneuf next year (ultimately I think Rielly will have the reigns on that spot though) .. I see Rielly as our #1 d-man, Phaneuf as a #2, and Gards at #3

In the next 3-5 seasons I figure the defense to look something along these lines (granted A LOT can change in that time)

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - ______
______ - _______

Those blank spots will be filled in with a combination of Percy, Granberg, Finn or any of the other D prospects that seem to be blossoming in the system with a combination of a veteran presence in the mix (perhaps Polak could be that guy)

Both of these sound exactly how I see our team next year and long-term... A lot of things can change in the next few years (such as drafting a Dman, one of our Dmen progressing better then expected, major injuries to them, etc.), but I think this is how it shapes up as of now and how the current long-term defense looks.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas/Polak
????? - Robidas/Polak

Carlyle goes out of his way to make sure that defensemen are playing on their strong side (see Holzer and Kostka being promoted from AHL to getting significant minutes on top pairing, Franson playing top PP minutes etc). Then consider the fact that they brought in two right handed players in Polak and Robidas. What makes you think Gardiner or Rielly will be on the top pairing?

I completely understand someone saying that's what they would do if they were the coach, but saying that it is the Leafs likely line up going into next season is puzzling to me. There's nothing to support it.

Similarly, leaving Franson out of your line up is wishful thinking. I'd have him pencilled in until he's been traded.

Phaneuf - Robidas
Gardiner - Polak
Rielly - Franson

#1 PP: Phaneuf - Franson

#2 PP: Gardiner/Rielly - Robidas

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - ______
______ - _______

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas/Polak
????? - Robidas/Polak

Alright well if we are all in understanding that we see Gardiner as a #3 why not try and get him now locked into a contract that is going to help us in the future?

I know people are against this as it can burn you (Tyler Myers.) But there is always those that don't burn you. (John Tavares, JVR, Kyle Turris.)

My point is you look at guys who fill a similar role. (Niskanen, Orpik, etc.) They are in the over 5m+ if we could get Gardiner locked in now in the lower 4's it would be beneficial in the long run. (Assuming you think Gardiner wont take a step back.)

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Seems high for Reimer.
I can't see the Leafs walking from Franson at $4M with the market starved for Dmen. Even one as defensivley challenged as Cody.

Yeah it wouldn't make sense to walk away from 1 year award at $4M, there isn't a cap crunch this season and they could deal him for an asset during the season.

Even letting him go as UFA after the season if a deal can't be made during the season would make more sense than walking away from an arbitration award.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Alright well if we are all in understanding that we see Gardiner as a #3 why not try and get him now locked into a contract that is going to help us in the future?

I know people are against this as it can burn you (Tyler Myers.) But there is always those that don't burn you. (John Tavares, JVR, Kyle Turris.)

My point is you look at guys who fill a similar role. (Niskanen, Orpik, etc.) They are in the over 5m+ if we could get Gardiner locked in now in the lower 4's it would be beneficial in the long run. (Assuming you think Gardiner wont take a step back.)

I couldn't agree more, I'd try to get 5 years for 20-22M, so his AAV would be similar to Kulikov. I think that Gardiner will be our #3 in the future and that we should take a risk right now, to profit in the future. In worst case scenario we saw in the past 2 seasons that he can be puck moving defender on 2nd unit(well at least for majority of seasons he was), so I would take a risk. If he doesn't accept this, then try 2 year bridge deal.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Oh I agree signing him long term for a solid cap hit like Kulikov isn't a bad risk to take .. However Kulikov's contract is only 3 years, no?

I'd try to lock Gardiner up for 5 years or so for that price over 3 years .. for 3 years or less I'd like to see a deal less than $3.25 on average

Personally speaking of course

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas/Polak
????? - Robidas/Polak

Phaneuf-Polak
Gardiner-Robidas
Rielly-Holzer
MacWilliam

That's what I was thinking. MacWilliam can fill the role Ranger was in last year where sometimes he gets rotated in. To be honest he's not really needed in the AHL with so many defensemen there as it is, especially left-handed defensemen. If that's the case, we don't need to move Marshall as I previously thought unless we suddenly bring in more defensemen prospects (unlikely). It's the forward position.

Percy-Granberg
Finn-Nilsson
Knodel-Loov
Marshall/Yuen

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Yeah it wouldn't make sense to walk away from 1 year award at $4M, there isn't a cap crunch this season and they could deal him for an asset during the season.

Even letting him go as UFA after the season if a deal can't be made during the season would make more sense than walking away from an arbitration award.[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong but I dont think we can trade him if we accept the arbitration ruling.
I think he has to wait a year.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I can't stress enough how bad a Phaneuf/Gardiner pairing will be.

Let Robidas watch Phaneufs back

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

Even letting him go as UFA after the season if a deal can't be made during the season would make more sense than walking away from an arbitration award.[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong but I dont think we can trade him if we accept the arbitration ruling.
I think he has to wait a year.

That would be the case when a team matches an offersheet, there is no restriction on trading a player related to arbitration at all.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
So we really need another LD
Which we could have had if we kept Gunnarsson, then Granberg could fit in there nice:

Gardiner Phaneuf
Rielly Robidas
Gunnarsson Granberg

So now we have

Gardiner Phaneuf
Rielly Robidas
----- Polak

If it's about giving the kids a chance then they F'd up lol

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Phaneuf-Polak
Gardiner-Robidas
Rielly-Holzer
MacWilliam

That's what I was thinking. MacWilliam can fill the role Ranger was in last year where sometimes he gets rotated in. To be honest he's not really needed in the AHL with so many defensemen there as it is, especially left-handed defensemen. If that's the case, we don't need to move Marshall as I previously thought unless we suddenly bring in more defensemen prospects (unlikely). It's the forward position.

Percy-Granberg
Finn-Nilsson
Knodel-Loov
Marshall/Yuen

Phaneuf prefers, and is better on the right side. He won't be playing on the left. They may try it in the pre-season, but ultimatley he'll likely be on the right side.

You are more likely to see Granberg over Holzer and MacWilliam. Leafs believe he is ready, and quite frankly, he is.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Phaneuf prefers, and is better on the right side. He won't be playing on the left. They may try it in the pre-season, but ultimatley he'll likely be on the right side.

You are more likely to see Granberg over Holzer and MacWilliam. Leafs believe he is ready, and quite frankly, he is.

The biggest questionmark that surrounds Granberg, is if he can handle the physical aspect of the show.

He is so effective using his stick and his positioning throughout the ice is strong. The Leafs can't afford to have another defenceman that is soft in his own zone.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The biggest questionmark that surrounds Granberg, is if he can handle the physical aspect of the show.

He is so effective using his stick and his positioning throughout the ice is strong. The Leafs can't afford to have another defenceman that is soft in his own zone.

You see issues with his physicality? How so?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
You see issues with his physicality? How so?

I watched about 15-20 Marlies games this year.

At the start of the year, it seemed like he was getting overmatched. I didn't pay attention to that because it was his first time in North America and there is a lot of adjustments to time and space that he would have to fix.

Later in the season, he looked a lot better. He doesn't really intimidate anyone physically, but just knows how to play, much in the same way that Carl Gunnarsson plays. They don't play physically, just use angles properly, take hits to make plays, take guys out of the play by pinning them up against the boards.

That's how he's going to be during his career and I don't mind that. But is that what the Leafs need to compliment their roster currently? The reason they traded Gunnarsson was because he didn't compliment the team and they needed guys that would.

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
I watched about 15-20 Marlies games this year.

At the start of the year, it seemed like he was getting overmatched. I didn't pay attention to that because it was his first time in North America and there is a lot of adjustments to time and space that he would have to fix.

Later in the season, he looked a lot better. He doesn't really intimidate anyone physically, but just knows how to play, much in the same way that Carl Gunnarsson plays. They don't play physically, just use angles properly, take hits to make plays, take guys out of the play by pinning them up against the boards.

That's how he's going to be during his career and I don't mind that. But is that what the Leafs need to compliment their roster currently? The reason they traded Gunnarsson was because he didn't compliment the team and they needed guys that would.

I dont believe Gunnarsson was traded because he didn't compliment the team, he was traded because they had a similar player who was younger, cheaper and didn't have questionable hips.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Well then I'd just switch the roles Holzer and MacWilliam were in then, depending on what it is. Granberg should stay in the AHL as the top pairing defenseman so he can play quality minutes as a top 3 defenseman. I feel he's almost a carbon copy of Korbinian Holzer from 4 years ago when Holzer was 21 and everyone thought he was ready. Personally I thought he was too, but then they rushed him and he looked terrible. I'd rather see 1 good year on the top pairing as the top AHL defenseman (or even like a good half year) before I see Granberg in the NHL. Besides, with Holzer and MacWilliam, we don't have to rush him into the NHL until at least until next season.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Phanuef prefering the right side, may be the reason, that should Franson get awarded a contract, that the Leafs don't want to carry, they will trade him and promote Granberg and Holzer or MacWilliam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad