Proposal: 2014/2015 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals X - The Trade Shoe Dropped - FALLOUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
del zotto is a bit risky since he hasnt really put together 2 good seasons

i would still do the deal, but it doesnt solidify our defence

Its a risky deal but we would have arguably the strongest right side in the league, from top to bottom:

Ryan
Stone
Simmons
Condra

Karlsson
Ceci
Del Zotto
Gryba

I just think if we're trading Lehner, we need at least one marquee player. This deal gives us one, and possibly a second. Del Zotto definitely has the talent and the tools to be a really good #4, imo. Ideally, we hang on to Lehner,

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Simmonds has a NMC though.

And their pitch for bishop was a second and Rinaldo.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
With talk of Hextall perhaps being unhappy with Mason and looking to bring in another "goalie of the future", what about Lehner to Philly? They have some pieces I'd love to get my hands on.

To Philly:
Lehner + Chiasson + Cowen

To Ottawa:
Simmonds + Del Zotto

If we're making a trade with Philly I would add almost anything to get Couturier. That kid is goinng to be amazing and would fit right in with the culture that we're building here.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Its a risky deal but we would have arguably the strongest right side in the league, from top to bottom:

Ryan
Stone
Simmons
Condra

Karlsson
Ceci
Del Zotto
Gryba

I just think if we're trading Lehner, we need at least one marquee player. This deal gives us one, and possibly a second. Del Zotto definitely has the talent and the tools to be a really good #4, imo. Ideally, we hang on to Lehner,

thats why im willing to do the deal, strictly for simmonds, he would be a great fit here

im just saying that if we hate our inconsistent defence now, there is a chance that it could be worse next year with del zotto

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If we're making a trade with Philly I would add almost anything to get Couturier. That kid is goinng to be amazing and would fit right in with the culture that we're building here.

So then why does Philly want to trade Couturier? He's going to be amazing and already plays a vital role for them.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Philly has plenty of young D in the system and their goaltending position is set for the future with Mason as the #1 and Stolarz coming up through the system.

No need for them to make that trade, even though the value is fair.

The Jangle Meister*

Id give a lot to get Simmonds, his style can play the left side too

Giving up Lehner Cowen Chiasson + id try to pry B.Schenn away from them as well

Then Flip Hoffman + Gryba + for Brent Burns

Simmonds-Zibanejad-Ryan
Macarthur-Turris-Stone
Schenn-Pageau-Lazar

Methot-Kalrsson
Boro-Burns
Wier-Ceci

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
The two players most likely to move this off season that I believe could improve the Senators are Taylor Hall and RoR.

Recently, and before the deadline, I have seen more than a few articles in the mainstream media about Hall being on the trading block. Many articles further specifying that Hall would best be moved before or during the draft. The reasons for this change in stance in the media (which presumably took it from discussions with Oilers management and sources) is that Hall has become un-coachable due to the constantly shifting bench bosses and isn't showing the same buy-in as other top Oiler players like Eberle, Yak, and RNH who have improved under their new coach. With the obvious holes in the Oilers roster, I concur with the media who believe it is now Hall who is considered the most movable "large" piece of the Oilers.

With that in mind, Ottawa also has many of the assets craved by the Oilers management including young top-4 defensemen (Cowen, Wiercioch, Ceci, etc..) and goalies (Anderson and Lehner). Other pieces nescessary for a Hall deal, including a replacement winger for Hall are also on Ottawa's roster, including Hoffman, Michalek, MacArthur, Lazar, Stone, etc....

As far as value is concerned, my opinion is that any deal should be based around similar players who have been moved in the offseason or before the deadline before, this list includes Kane, Ryan, Spezza, Thornton, Kesler, Heatley, etc..

With that in mind, I would propose something centered to Edmonton around the following: 1 top-6 winger, 1 top-4 defenseman, 1 goalie, 1 pick. The value of each subsequent asset being contingent on the value of the other assets involved and the desires of Oilers management. If there is another team in the NHL that would be able to safely offer more than Ottawa, I'd be shocked.

As far as RoR is concerned, rumors concerning his future status have been ongoing for years and Avs' management's decision to put him on the trade block are well known. Of course, the remaining length of his contract is of significant concern, especially in a City like Ottawa that is not a big draw for Free Agents.

If RoR is not unreasonable with his contract demands and team selection (something the Avanalche would know in advance), the Avalanche could significantly improve their haul for RoR (and specifically Ottawa's interest) if they allowed teams to speak to RoR's agent to determine his willingness to sign an extension. Now, obviously this is a pretty big gambit for the Avalanche but if circumstances are right, this could benefit all concerned parties.

As with Edmonton, Ottawa also possesses many of the pieces that Avs would be seeking for RoR, including young upcoming NHL top-4 defensemen, picks, prospects, and replacement wingers.

In my opinion, both RoR with his two-way play and fantastic discipline, as well as Taylor Hall with his drive and creativityare capable of providing a long term solution at the Leftwing for Ottawa and both are considered movable. Further, I don't believe any current free agent would provide a similar improvement.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
I think ROR would be a better fit here over Hall. Of course we would need an extension in place to get ROR and I would be fine with a 7X7 deal.

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Michalek - ROR - Stone
MaCArthur - Turris - Lazar
Smith - Legwand - Pageau

That's a tough forward group to play against.

My offer for a signed ROR would be :
1st + Puempel + Cowen/Wiercioch

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Id give a lot to get Simmonds, his style can play the left side too

Giving up Lehner Cowen Chiasson + id try to pry B.Schenn away from them as well

Then Flip Hoffman + Gryba + for Brent Burns

Simmonds-Zibanejad-Ryan
Macarthur-Turris-Stone
Schenn-Pageau-Lazar

Methot-Kalrsson
Boro-Burns
Wier-Ceci

Burns has been an absolute tire fire in defense this year. Sharks fans will tell you his time as a forward destroyed his defensive game.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Lazar + Lehner + (2) 2015 2nd round picks / (1) 2016 1st round pick

For Taylor hall. I'd do it, wonder if they would.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Hall, Marincin for Michalek, Lazar, Lehner, Cowen, and a pick.

The round of the pick depends on what Hall's value is around the league. I'd be willing to make that pick our 2015 1st, but I'm not sure Murray would be willing to do the same.

That's a lot of value to give up but we're one game breaking offensive talent from being a legitimate contender in the future.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I think ROR would be a better fit here over Hall. Of course we would need an extension in place to get ROR and I would be fine with a 7X7 deal.

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Michalek - ROR - Stone
MaCArthur - Turris - Lazar
Smith - Legwand - Pageau

That's a tough forward group to play against.

My offer for a signed ROR would be :
1st + Puempel + Cowen/Wiercioch

i would rather we offer up prince instead of puempel

but question why is o'reilly worth 7x7? if someone wants to give him a million dollar raise for 7 years based off of this season then i really hope it isnt us. thomas vanek was coming off a better season and had a decent playoffs and got 6.5 per. Now if you discount o'reillys offensive skill in comparison to vanek but give him the edge in defensive skill then 6.5 is a good rough comparable maybe even a little bit less since offence is valued more than defence.

BigBush*

i would rather we offer up prince instead of puempel

but question why is o'reilly worth 7x7? if someone wants to give him a million dollar raise for 7 years based off of this season then i really hope it isnt us. thomas vanek was coming off a better season and had a decent playoffs and got 6.5 per. Now if you discount o'reillys offensive skill in comparison to vanek but give him the edge in defensive skill then 6.5 is a good rough comparable maybe even a little bit less since offence is valued more than defence.

With O'Reilly you're paying for him while hes 24-31. That's a lot better then lot of UFAs where you have to pay for a lot of years in their 30s. O'Reilly should.t regress too much by the end of his contract

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
With O'Reilly you're paying for him while hes 24-31. That's a lot better then lot of UFAs where you have to pay for a lot of years in their 30s. O'Reilly should.t regress too much by the end of his contract

he shouldnt regress too much, but i still find paying 7 million for a defensive first forward a bit much

nothing against those types of forwards because you do need them to win, but considering the cap is going down and the fact that whatever forward we get (if we do) is going to be slotted into line 1, i rather it be an offensive forward or a forward signed to a good deal. Some people are having issues justifying Ryan's contract because his productions gone down (there are many reasons as to why/can use an argument to defend it), what do you think happen's to o'reilly's production when he is paired with lesser offensive players here. On top of that O'reillys big season last year was when he played with matt duchene and we dont have any forward at that level here in ottawa.

Would love to add ROR to the team, but if we are paying up for a forward, and then having to resign a forward/swallow his contract i rather it be an offensive forward.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
At the 2015 draft

To Colorado: 2015 1st rd pick, Cowen, Wideman & Prince
To Ottawa: ROR

To Edmonton: Lehner, Smith, MacArthur & 2015 2nd rd pick
To Ottawa: Hall

Hall - ROR - Ryan
Michalek - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Chiasson
Condra - Pageau - Lazar/Neil/Legwand

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Boroweicki - Gryba/Phillips

Anderson - Hammond

Note: Neil, Legwand & Phillips should all be gone by the end of next season with Puempel, Robinson & Claesson NHL ready & Paul, Lindberg, Harpur & Hogberg playing in Bingo.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
To Colorado: 2015 1st rd pick, Cowen, Wideman & Prince
To Ottawa: ROR

To Edmonton: Lehner, Smith, MacArthur & 2015 2nd rd pick
To Ottawa: Hall

Hall - ROR - Ryan
Michalek - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Chiasson
Condra - Pageau - Lazar/Neil/Legwand

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Boroweicki - Gryba/Phillips

Anderson - Hammond

Note: Neil, Legwand & Phillips should all be gone by the end of next season with Puempel, Robinson & Claesson NHL ready & Paul, Lindberg, Harpur & Hogberg playing in Bingo.

I believe that MacArthur has some sort of no trade clause and I doubt he would waive to go to Edmonton.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
MacArthur isn't going anywhere and I have no idea why we'd want to trade him. Yeah he wasn't having a great year but none of the team was prior to him getting concussed.

I could see us attempt to move Cowen and Lehner: Cowen clearly doesn't have the coach's confidence and Lehner, as good as he might be, is an issue with his temper. He might be a better fit for a team that has veterans that can tell him to shut up and suck it up when things aren't going well. I try not to read too much into things but seeing how the team responded to Hammond really makes me think there is something to the chemistry that Lehner messes up. Our team is too young and our veterans not good enough to be able to make an impression on Lehner I'm afraid, if Lehner was in Detroit he'd learn his place and would be better for it I'm sure.

Of course this hinges on us being able to sign Hammond and what kind of return we could get for them. Unfortunately I doubt it would be much and while they may not be great fits in Ottawa I still think they both have very high ceilings... How low do you sell on damaged goods that still have considerable upside?

BigBush*

MacArthur isn't going anywhere and I have no idea why we'd want to trade him. Yeah he wasn't having a great year but none of the team was prior to him getting concussed.

I could see us attempt to move Cowen and Lehner: Cowen clearly doesn't have the coach's confidence and Lehner, as good as he might be, is an issue with his temper. He might be a better fit for a team that has veterans that can tell him to shut up and suck it up when things aren't going well. I try not to read too much into things but seeing how the team responded to Hammond really makes me think there is something to the chemistry that Lehner messes up. Our team is too young and our veterans not good enough to be able to make an impression on Lehner I'm afraid, if Lehner was in Detroit he'd learn his place and would be better for it I'm sure.

Of course this hinges on us being able to sign Hammond and what kind of return we could get for them. Unfortunately I doubt it would be much and while they may not be great fits in Ottawa I still think they both have very high ceilings... How low do you sell on damaged goods that still have considerable upside?

I agree. I definitely think Cowen and Lehner are traded this summer.

For a budget team, its hard to justify paying a back up goalie and 7th defenceman a combined 5.725 mill next season and 7.65 mill the season after.

I am not expecting that big of a return from either

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
he shouldnt regress too much, but i still find paying 7 million for a defensive first forward a bit much

nothing against those types of forwards because you do need them to win, but considering the cap is going down and the fact that whatever forward we get (if we do) is going to be slotted into line 1, i rather it be an offensive forward or a forward signed to a good deal. Some people are having issues justifying Ryan's contract because his productions gone down (there are many reasons as to why/can use an argument to defend it), what do you think happen's to o'reilly's production when he is paired with lesser offensive players here. On top of that O'reillys big season last year was when he played with matt duchene and we dont have any forward at that level here in ottawa.

Would love to add ROR to the team, but if we are paying up for a forward, and then having to resign a forward/swallow his contract i rather it be an offensive forward.

7 is a bit much, but I don't think anyone is getting O'Reilly at a bargain price. In the end I think it's worth it to add a player who is young, capable of providing offense and is difficult to play against in all situations.

I think O'Reilly could be the type of player to really excel in the playoffs too by wearing down and frustrating the opposition. With him and Stone spread out playing more than half the game I think the result could be you have teams who are scared to try to make plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad