Rumor: 2014/2015 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals VII - and a title to be named later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Legwand has been fine

Good PP presence and more dependable than Smith as a LHD

The guy is 34, I'm not sure why some people expected more out of him

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Legwand has been fine

Good PP presence and more dependable than Smith as a LHD

The guy is 34, I'm not sure why some people expected more out of him

He has been fine, but we're on a budget, we have 3 better centers is all, and he's due 3.5 mil next year. I like him better than Smith, but Smith makes about a third of what Leg is due next year. If we were a cap team I wouldn't even be entertaining this thought and would be fine with a 3.5 mil 4th line & PP center.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He has been fine, but we're on a budget, we have 3 better centers is all, and he's due 3.5 mil next year. I like him better than Smith, but Smith makes about a third of what Leg is due next year. If we were a cap team I wouldn't even be entertaining this thought and would be fine with a 3.5 mil 4th line & PP center.

Smith makes 2 mil next season, not 1.16. I'd actually be more upset about Legwand's contract if we were a cap team. He's a transition contract, meant to fill a gap until our prospects are ready.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I love how the budget has driven half the fanbase insane including myself. lol Were all hoping deals get done to save Melnyk as much money as possible or give Melnyk as much bang for his buck as possible. If we were not a budget team people including myself would laugh at people complaining about Legwand's and Greening's contract.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I love how the budget has driven half the fanbase insane including myself. lol Were all hoping deals get done to save Melnyk as much money as possible or give Melnyk as much bang for his buck as possible. If we were not a budget team people including myself would laugh at people complaining about Legwand's and Greening's contract.

At the end of the day we are a budget team and I still laugh at people complaining about Legwand

He's been fine and his contract isn't impeding any deal

Since Smith went down he's been very valuable as our only LHD centreman

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
At the end of the day we are a budget team and I still laugh at people complaining about Legwand

i'm much more neutral on legwand myself. if there were no budget i would think its silly of people to complain about such an inconsequential part of the team in general. Budget exists though so i seem some validity in the arguments people make against him.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
For the record, I don't want anything to do with Hall.

Hoping that if we make a trade, it's for O'Reilly.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014

Yeah, agreed. Legwand is 7th amongst fwds in scoring, easily our most effective fwd on the PP, 9th in TOI and a pretty good defensive player. He hasnt performed above his contract like MacArthur, but he's only taking up 1/18th of our payroll and has definitely been better than Chiasson, Michalek, Condra, Greening, Neil, Lazar... in a lot of ways, he's been our best and most effective bottom 6er. He's not overpaid on almost any team, and definitely not on ours. I also suspect we could get a pretty decent return for him in the offseason/this time next year.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010

Why is that? Do you have insider info on Hall or is it just personal preference? AFAIK Hall is a great young star forward who could help us be a playoffs team.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I'd much rather get Hall than OReilly. The anti-Oiler stigma is strong, Hall has skyhigh potential and OReilly is lazy compared to Hall.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Yeah, agreed. Legwand is 7th amongst fwds in scoring, easily our most effective fwd on the PP, 9th in TOI and a pretty good defensive player. He hasnt performed above his contract like MacArthur, but he's only taking up 1/18th of our payroll and has definitely been better than Chiasson, Michalek, Condra, Greening, Neil, Lazar... in a lot of ways, he's been our best and most effective bottom 6er. He's not overpaid on almost any team, and definitely not on ours. I also suspect we could get a pretty decent return for him in the offseason/this time next year.

I reckon if Hoffman replaced Legwand's role on the PP he would at least match his production.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Im done arguing against Legwand, I don't feel that strongly about it. I just hate that we might be letting our 2nd best dman leave over a small amount when that could easily be found by trimming one bloated contract.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
Here's my theory:

The news released a statement saying we put a package together in order to acquire Taylor Hall.

Hall makes 6 million dollars a season

So my theory is that this is showing Ryan Oreilly, if we make a trade to the Avs which would include Methot + we would be more then happy to sign him to a contract long term

We will spend money on the RIGHT players

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I reckon if Hoffman replaced Legwand's role on the PP he would at least match his production.

Hoffman has zero PP points in 1:28/game, Legwand has 5 goals (first amongst Sens) and 10 points (first amongst Sen fwds) in 2:41 (4th among Sen fwds). Seems to me like a bold claim to make, especially since Legwand has consistently been amongst the best power play forwards on Nashville. He even led them in fwd PP scoring last year despite missing the last 21 games with them. He is a really smart and skilled power play player, and way better than Hoffman at this point. They are giving Hoffman the opportunity to learn, but at this point replacing Legwand with him would be pretty unjustifiable.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Hoffman has zero PP points in 1:28/game, Legwand has 5 goals (first amongst Sens) and 10 points (first amongst Sen fwds) in 2:41 (4th among Sen fwds). Seems to me like a bold claim to make, especially since Legwand has consistently been amongst the best power play forwards on Nashville. He even led them in fwd PP scoring last year despite missing the last 21 games with them. He is a really smart and skilled power play player, and way better than Hoffman at this point. They are giving Hoffman the opportunity to learn, but at this point replacing Legwand with him would be pretty unjustifiable.

I'm not slighting Legwand, he's been quite good on the PP actually I have no complaints. It's more about the fact that I'm a huge Hoff fan, he's never been in the same situation (where the whole unit runs through him) like Legwand has yet he's only been on the point. Either way I have no qualms with Legwand on the PP.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Hall is a gamebreaker.

He instantly puts our offense in the top-15 and increases his line's production (i.e. Turris).

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Here's my theory:

The news released a statement saying we put a package together in order to acquire Taylor Hall.

Hall makes 6 million dollars a season

So my theory is that this is showing Ryan Oreilly, if we make a trade to the Avs which would include Methot + we would be more then happy to sign him to a contract long term

We will spend money on the RIGHT players

we put a package involving a goalie for a young Edmonton forward. murray said hed like to have oreilly but sees the avs going down a different path. orielly cant touch halls elite scoring ability. last year was a one off imo for orielly. barring injury hall will consistently be a top scoriing lw

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

I'd look at both. I'd really like to send a package for Toffoli or Couture but I doubt they'd be available at all. Arizona has some nice pieces on sale.

If we made a list of reasonable expectations for a Lehner plus trade, Hall would be on it I'd think

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't get why the Legwand signing gets so much negativity.

He's 7th among forwards in points on the team. He plays on the power play, and some times on the penalty kill.

He's not making enough, and the term isn't long enough to handcuff the Senators. I think he makes 2.5 this season, and 3.5 next season. I also don't think it's too out of line to imagine that he might be able to get a small return at the deadline if someone is looking for a specific type of centre.

It wasn't a home run signing like MacArthur, and I can see how Dorion (paraphrasing) hyping up Legwand as an underrated centre who went toe to toe with the best centres in the Western Conference could lead to some people being disappointed with his output.

But in the grand scheme of things, his addition is not a negative.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

He's 7th among forwards in points on the team. He plays on the power play, and some times on the penalty kill.

He's not making enough, and the term isn't long enough to handcuff the Senators. I think he makes 2.5 this season, and 3.5 next season. I also don't think it's too out of line to imagine that he might be able to get a small return at the deadline if someone is looking for a specific type of centre.

It wasn't a home run signing like MacArthur, and I can see how Dorion (paraphrasing) hyping up Legwand as an underrated centre who went toe to toe with the best centres in the Western Conference could lead to some people being disappointed with his output.

Yeah, I agree with this. It is not like he signed at 5X5 or something silly like that. If we trade him this deadline or next, fine. If he stays until the end of next year, also fine. He is not hurting the club at that price, even if his production has dropped off.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

He's a stopgap in a rebuilding year. He was soaking up development time from Pageau for the first half of the season. I want Pageau to have the rest of the season to show he belongs. Legwand here next year still blocks a centre from playing. And Smith.

Turris, Zibanejad, Lazar, Pageau, a UFA, a trade, maybe a DaCosta return, even a few games of Dzingel, Grant, even Paul next year would be better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad