2014-2015 News Around The NHL Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
So....did anyone happen to catch Stephen A smith bring up racism as it relates to the Patrick Kane incident?

He claims there isnt enough uproar about Kane, similar to the uproar caused by Ray Rice. And then claims that the NHL has no domestic abuse policy.

Um....Slava Voynov? Racism?

This is ugly enough, but now Smith is claiming...what will that do? Just add an inferno to a trail blaze?

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
So....did anyone happen to catch Stephen A smith bring up racism as it relates to the Patrick Kane incident?

He claims there isnt enough uproar about Kane, similar to the uproar caused by Ray Rice. And then claims that the NHL has no domestic abuse policy.

This is ugly enough, but now Smith is claiming...what will that do? Just add an inferno to a trail blaze?

There is some validity, Voynov is also Russian. Russians get painted with a lot xenophobic statements by the NA media. Kane is a star in the league and he is far more important to the NHL than Voynov or Rice to the NFL.

I think the NHL and the Hawks have handled this terribly but league status and the lack of video evidence in Rice's case is what sets them apart.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA

Smith is a tool. No interest in whatever comes out of his mouth.

-ghoste

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
There is some validity, Voynov is also Russian. Russians get painted with a lot xenophobic statements by the NA media. Kane is a star in the league and he is far more important to the NHL than Voynov or Rice to the NFL.

I think the NHL and the Hawks have handled this terribly but league status and the lack of video evidence in Rice's case is what sets them apart.

Some, I understand. But his conjecture was that the NHL is a white league and that there should be pitchforks and torches getting marched towards Bettman for not handling this adequately. but because there is no uproar similar to Ray Rice, he claims racism

I am a proponent for suspending Kane till this gets resolved.

But what has to be acknowledged is the evidence for both Voynov and Rice was pretty damning.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Some, I understand. But his conjecture was that the NHL is a white league and that there should be pitchforks and torches getting marched towards Bettman for not handling this adequately. but because there is no uproar similar to Ray Rice, he claims racism

I am a proponent for suspending Kane till this gets resolved.

But what has to be acknowledged is the evidence for both Voynov and Rice was pretty damning.

Definitely. Voynov and Rice had concrete evidence and Rice even had video. Kane as a star has the biggest impact IMO. The better argument is that if it was Bickell/Kruger/etc in Kane's spot he be suspended by now.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Definitely. Voynov and Rice had concrete evidence and Rice even had video. Kane as a star has the biggest impact IMO. The better argument is that if it was Bickell/Kruger/etc in Kane's spot he be suspended by now.

I think it's pretty safe to assume almost anyone else would be cut, not just suspended.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
You can't suspend a player in this circumstance. All we have at this point is an accusation. If you suspend based on accusations, you'll have some nutcase make a rape accusation before the Stanley Cup Final. With Voynov you had a woman in the hospital with visible injuries that prompted police intervention.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
You can't suspend a player in this circumstance. All we have at this point is an accusation. If you suspend based on accusations, you'll have some nutcase make a rape accusation before the Stanley Cup Final. With Voynov you had a woman in the hospital with visible injuries that prompted police intervention.

Per CBA you can.

And getting counter sued for defamation, slander etc is not worth these baseless accusations. That scenario won't happen

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Just a quick update from a Habs fan about Tomas Fleischmann

The Canadiens are playing the Capitals tonight.

Flash scored a goal and he's stood out all night. His skating looks more than fine, he's hustling out there, he's making some nice plays, and he's developing chemistry with Desharnais and Weise. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he earned a contract with the Habs.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I think it's pretty safe to assume almost anyone else would be cut, not just suspended.

I don't think so. Kane is still not accused of anything and the lawyer of the victim just dropped out. I think it's being handled correctly (other than the Kane press conference).

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Flash scored a goal and he's stood out all night. His skating looks more than fine, he's hustling out there, he's making some nice plays, and he's developing chemistry with Desharnais and Weise. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he earned a contract with the Habs.

good for him. :)

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Just a quick update from a Habs fan about Tomas Fleischmann

The Canadiens are playing the Capitals tonight.

These are all things we knew. His issue is he can't shoot. At all.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
These are all things we knew. His issue is he can't shoot. At all.

I think he can't shoot "anymore" is more of a proper representation of Flash. When he first signed here and the season after, he was quite a productive player for us. He was a productive player before he came to Florida, he had solid hands -- and then all of the sudden his scoring ability completely disappeared. One of those things in this sport that sometimes just happens to players.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Anyone see this? While I don't like what was said, it's understandable he's frustrated with the Panthers after learning about being bought out by email. It's not respectful, but actually is the sad truth.

Sorry. I couldn't figure out how to embed the Tweet.

https://twitter.com/jonasTSN1050/status/648517468223336448

I can understand being frustrated over being bought out like that, but, we did give him a PTO when no one else did(IIRC) and gave him a raise/extension.

Playing in front of "nobody" is a hell of a lot better than being unemployed.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I'd understand if he wanted to trash management for the way his buyout was handled, but this? Stay classy Boyes.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Welp, there goes whatever liking I had for Boyes. I understand being angry about the way the buyout was handled, but c'mon. Even if that quote is taken out of context a bit, it really didn't need to be said.

I know some have said it before, but I feel like his connection with the Panthers organization was damaged during the season for whatever reason.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I'd understand if he wanted to trash management for the way his buyout was handled, but this? Stay classy Boyes.

I don't mind players being honest. I much prefer honesty over boring generic quotes. Last season was dreadful attendance wise and it's not debatable.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I don't mind players being honest. I much prefer honesty over boring generic quotes. Last season was dreadful attendance wise and it's not debatable.
While I agree with you on honesty, there's times where you'll end up looking like a massive jerk if you take the honesty too far.

That comment for example, would have been a lot more classy if he'd just left the last part out.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
hey, boyes is telling the truth and his buyout was questionable at best and completely disrespectful to himthe way ownership handled it. some times the truth hurts!!

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
While I agree with you on honesty, there's times where you'll end up looking like a massive jerk if you take the honesty too far.

That comment for example, would have been a lot more classy if he'd just left the last part out.

Agreed. He just looks immature here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad