2014-2015 News Around The NHL Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I've always thought 9th place teams should have a higher chance in the lottery. At least they tried...I don't even care if an "elite" team got the pick because of injuries. I think that's fair compensation for basically a wasted season even if that were to happen.

Absolutely! Put all non playoff teams in the spinner and give 9th however many more.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Those dead weights will have to be replaced by other ufa's or resigned as Tallon likes a certain amount of veteran experience in his lineups. We have RFA's to resign (Hubs, Hayes, & after next yr: Barkov) and the Canadian Dollar fall may leave the cap flat. We would need to move an existing large contract ala Mitchell, Bolland, or Soup IMO + you should always leave some room until you are ready to challenge for the cup.

With the cap being around $73-74 million next season, we would be roughly $19 million under the cap, with Kessel here. That is more than enough to sign Huby and Hayes, as well as add another piece or two. The season after next, you have another $10 million coming off the books, so the money is there. If minor tweaks need to be made, you make them, considering the player we would be acquiring, but nothing major would have to be moved in order to acquire Kessel's salary.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
With the cap being around $73-74 million next season, we would be roughly $19 million under the cap, with Kessel here. That is more than enough to sign Huby and Hayes, as well as add another piece or two. The season after next, you have another $10 million coming off the books, so the money is there. If minor tweaks need to be made, you make them, considering the player we would be acquiring, but nothing major would have to be moved in order to acquire Kessel's salary.

The cap will be lower than that. It was forecasted to be at around 73M if the Canadian dollar remained at 88 cents. The Canadian dollar is at 80 cents and is still going down. The cap could only be 70-71M.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Even if the cap is at $70M, we could fit Kessel fine since there would be some offsetting contracts going back the other way.

Bigger question is if we would be willing to deal. Look at what Kane brought back. Now consider that although Kessel has some attitude question marks it's nowhere near the issues with Kane and Kessel is a proven top tier goal scorer. We would have to give up at least our 1st + Bjugstad/Barkov/Ekblad + Trocheck/Matheson/Rocco type prospect if not more.

I really want us to get a scorer, but is that worth it? I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Even if the cap is at $70M, we could fit Kessel fine since there would be some offsetting contracts going back the other way.

Bigger question is if we would be willing to deal. Look at what Kane brought back. Now consider that although Kessel has some attitude question marks it's nowhere near the issues with Kane and Kessel is a proven top tier goal scorer. We would have to give up at least our 1st + Bjugstad/Barkov/Ekblad + Trocheck/Matheson/Rocco type prospect if not more.

I really want us to get a scorer, but is that worth it? I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger

No, absolutely not, and that's why we won't be getting Kessel.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

The only real hope to get Kessel (lets be honest in division would raise the price too) would be he would for him to sour his relationship that much with the Leafs and only accept to a smaller media market.

This summer though I think Yakupov and Sharp are more likely targets to Dale to go after at the draft.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

Well it tough to determine players values year to year.
And it depends on if it's a sellers market or a buyers market.

For all we know Chevy could of told Murray up front that he wasn't thinking about trading Kane unless he was blown away by an offer, and Murray really wanted him.

Murray could be desperate to get Buffalo back to being competitive, especially after potentially drafting McDavid/Eichel, and a good amount of the guys he traded off wouldn't be ready for quite a while. Or Chevy wanted one top prospect, and Murray offered more quantity to make up for a Zads or Girgensons(sp) etc.

But, yea, Kessel being traded in the division wouldn't be cheap.

Bps21*

Absolutely! Put all non playoff teams in the spinner and give 9th however many more.

Can we then go back in time and give the sabres their chances for the last decade they spent most of which missing the playoffs by 3 points?

While some teams were collecting top 5 picks...buffalo was stuck right in the middle year after year.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Matthias with a hat-trick. He started March early

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Poor OJ, finally on a good team that has a chance to go all the way and he gets traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad