Speculation: 2014-15 Stars Trade Talk 3: We Decompose

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
Hard to say who's worth the least at the moment. Scevs is nice because he does have skill and the ability to work well with the top line, but he's very streaky. Moen brings some good toughness and as of late is helping the bottom line with Ritchie. Horcoff has been good this year, a lot better than this time last year. I would honestly be happiest with Hemsky gone but that won't happen.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - X___ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Here's a thought. If Ritchie keeps it up, do we consider trading Sceviour to make room on the right side?

It would hurt to move Nuke.

Horcoff is valuable to us in the playoffs.

Hemsky's contract is a tough sell.

Moen has no value.

Sceviour might make the most sense. Ritchie is younger, bigger, and has more upside. Just a thought.

Trade him for what, though? his value can't be high around the league. Doubt it'd be worthwhile to trade him.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Trade him for what, though? his value can't be high around the league. Doubt it'd be worthwhile to trade him.

I'm not sure we'd get much for him either, but he's the easiest to part with and he is movable. Maybe we could get a goaltender prospect or a backup.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
I'm not sure we'd get much for him either, but he's the easiest to part with and he is movable. Maybe we could get a goaltender prospect or a backup.

It has to be "+α". He doesn't have enough value to make a legit swap with a goaltender, even if it's a backup or a prospect.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
Well apparently everyone and anyone is available from the leafs. Any thoughts on what could make sense? I'm not sold on him but Reimer would certainly be an upgrade. I'm not sure who else they have that would be worth the cost.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
We just move Sceviour to the fourth line and then let him walk at free agency for a big pay day.

Even without Nuke, there won't be enough spaces for Sceviour on the 4th line plus Ritchie still in the lineup. Patrick Eaves was playing better than even Sceviour, and he'll be returning likely in about a month ... maybe sooner. Coaches rarely allow an injury to lose a guys spot so he'll get a look when he comes back. It'd be great to see Ritchie hang on until that point, but he's likely immediately back to the AHL when Eaves is ready. They'd go with Eaves, Garbutt, Hemsky and Sceviour as the RWs.

Hopefully they don't go back to the Horcoff-Fiddler-Moen line when Horcoff is healthy. Moen's played well, but he's clearly not better than Ritchie already is. Horcoff-Fiddler-Sceviour were good together, and Ritchie could be even better with that line as we've seen. That could buy Ritchie some extra time for the moment.

Assuming everyone is healthy, and since Nuke won't be back likely until May based on Klingberg's time frame ... LWs look pretty set with Benn, Cole, Horcoff, and Roussel with Moen as the extra forward.

There's too big of a risk of injury IMO to trade Sceviour in order to make space for Ritchie full time right now. The team overall is better off just using Ritchie's waiver exemption for the moment. They won't stay completely healthy, and you'll be pretty upset that you traded a needed depth piece. Instead you could keep both players fresh and ready by sticking likely short term with Ritchie in the AHL and Sceviour in the NHL. That way when an injury hits there's not adjustment for Sceviour to come in cold after mostly siting for several weeks.

You're probably talking a month at most from when Eaves was healthy to the playoffs. They could then bring Ritchie back up the final couple weeks before the playoffs like they did with Nemeth.

That depth was important last year when you had Cole and Dilon out in the playoffs and just before fighting to get in. Really there's no reasonable justification to start picking yourself apart given they position they've climbed back into. If they slip again though ... you probably don't need to be as cautious with the depth.

You're in a perfect situation where you have a LW (McKenzie), C (Morin), RW (Ritchie), and D (Jokipakka) to come up for a specific position.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I just think Ritchie on the big club makes us a better team than Sceviour on the big club. I get the need for depth and all...maybe there is a way to keep both Sceviour and Ritchie in the lineup. I just think that if Ritchie keeps playing like this, we're gonna be forced to move some pieces around. If he keeps being a net presence, he's pretty much got a monopoly on that important role. I like both Eaves and Sceviour, but if Ritchie keeps this up, he's a better asset to the club than either of the other two. We need all of the assets possible to make it into the playoffs. You have to ice the best players/team you can at this point IMO.

Bottom line here is that I think if management has to choose between icing the best lineup possible vs. maintaining depth at RW, they're going to go with icing the best lineup. If that means Ritchie stays, then Ritchie stays.

Last edited:

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
You think we can pick up Brodeur to play backup/tandem with Lehtonen?

I know we're not playoffs bound currently but it wouldn't handcuff us to pick up a vet goalie on the cheap from a team who doesn't need him anymore for the remainder of the season.

I've been thinking about this for a while.. but figure I'm subject to at least a little bias due to my location.
(Perhaps we can pull a big defenseman out of stl too?)

Last edited:

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I don't think Brodeur has was it takes to win in front of our defence unfortunately. We need someone who puts up decent numbers despite poor players in front of him. Reimer or one of the Buffalo guys is who I think fits that mould.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Only interested in Brodeur for the novelty of having the best (or at least one of the best) goalies in history play for the Stars. Like having Jagr for 2/3 of a season.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I've been thinking about how the Stars could potentially take advantage of the Maple Leafs current situation.

• They apparently haven't started talking substantially with Franson and he's likely going to UFA in July (http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2015/1/9/friedman-franson-most-likely-to-be-traded-from-leafs

There are rumours flying around up here that at least one of Kessel or Phaneuf won't be back next year

Apparently they want to unload Lupul's contract

Although they probably don't want to move a decent backup, Reimer obviously wants out, ideally with a chance to be a #1

Obviously they'd do anything to get out of Clarkson's contract

Always rumours about moving Kadri

Always rumours about what they really want to do with Bozak

With those in mind, I've been wondering if there's any match to be made with the Stars. I have to admit that aside from Kessel I'm not fond of any of the players, but they could add some value.

Any suggestions?

Franson is probably a lost cause. He'll most likely want to test the market and so giving up assets for him now is likely ill-advised. He wouldn't save this season alone.

They're in big salary cap trouble and don't have much coming off the books. I think if something would happen (likely in the off-season of course) it would likely involve the Stars taking one or more of their poor contracts in return for one of the better assets.

aloonda*

i am torn about phanooooooof though

he isn't a captain that is sure----he is a total goof

but his salary
??

rather have nemeth

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Interested to see if anyone else feels that way about Kessel. He can be a defensive liability at times but he is an absolutely elite scorer. I'd take him and Reimer in a heartbeat.

Would like Kadri too but not sure where he would fit in so I probably wouldn't give up assets for him. Come to think of, unless the leafs would want picks and quantity, which I doubt, the only player I'd give up assets for is probably Reimer.

aloonda*

Interested to see if anyone else feels that way about Kessel. He can be a defensive liability at times but he is an absolutely elite scorer. I'd take him and Reimer in a heartbeat.

Would like Kadri too but not sure where he would fit in so I probably wouldn't give up assets for him. Come to think of, unless the leafs would want picks and quantity, which I doubt, the only player I'd give up assets for is probably Reimer.

laziest player in the league

not wanted

aloonda*

Kessel would be so sick

this kind of sick

rainbow_throw_up_by_technoholic562-d4gbrsx.jpg

Brand New Stars

Yes. Seguin, Benn and Spezza can be pretty damn lazy themselves. Very few of the most talented players in the league play with as much will as 3rd liners like Roussel.

Kessel would be nasty on this team. Two lines with centers of Seguin and Spezza paired with Benn and Kessel would be so hard to defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad