Speculation: 2014-15 Stars Trade Talk 3: We Decompose

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc3488

Jul 2, 2013
Houston, Tx
the pen's have the de the star's need. the star's have the wings the pen's need. lets get it done. the older guys martin, and ehrhoff..... both urf...you can keep them till the trade dead line if you like what they bring ...sign them...if not flip at the dead line or let them walk. young guy that can play now dumoulin.
What wingers would the pens be interested in?

mc3488

Jul 2, 2013
Houston, Tx
What do you guys think about a 3rd round pick for Alex Burrows? I think he'd be a good fit with benn and seguin.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
What do you guys think about a 3rd round pick for Alex Burrows? I think he'd be a good fit with benn and seguin.

I like the grit. He shouldn't touch the 1st line though. He's more of a third line type of guy.

The problem with this move is that it would be to the wrong place at the wrong time. If we're about to make the playoffs and we need some character role players to add to our forward depth, then you could think about dropping a 3rd on a guy like Burrows. Right now he'd just be someone that would take minutes and games away from someone like McKenzie on a team that looks like they're gonna miss the playoffs anyway.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
We need to be selling unless it's for someone that helps us next season or for a Dman that we want the 1st chance to sign before they reach UFA.

McKenzie needs to be in the NHL and Oleksiak needs to playing minutes one way or another so whatever trades to make those things happen need to come sooner rather than later.

ScubaSteve*

What's the fascination with Mckenzie? He's just another generic 4th line scrub. I'd give up his roster spot in a heartbeat for any type of upgrade.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
What's the fascination with Mckenzie? He's just another generic 4th line scrub. I'd give up his roster spot in a heartbeat for any type of upgrade.

Ok Nostradamus, since you can tell that from his 1st few nhl games lets just move on from him. No need to give him a chance.

Even if your right, his physical presence brings a spark and allows Roussel to focus on playing hockey as opposed to fighting and trying to spark the team.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

If you're management, you're only going to want to spend the money in upgrades that either make the difference for us now or down the road in a big way. An upgrade to the 3rd line is a waste of money right now. McKenzie is fine for now to fill in on the 3rd or 4th when needed and is cheap. These small-ball types of moves are just spinning your wheels if you make them.

Why pay a couple extra mill for Burrows just to go from the 12th overall pick to the 13th overall pick?

Last edited:

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
He's going to be a net presence kind of guy. Needs to be on a line where he can crash the net with a shooter to compensate.

If Roussel stays on the 2nd line where he has played well, McKenzie fits in perfect in his spot across from Garbutt (who loves to shoot). Or if we were to put a shooter on the right with Spezza I think he'd do some damage there.

Reminds me of a poor mans Brenden Morrow but his presence has the affect of guys like Roussel, Morrow, or Ott in that he brings 100% effort and physicality and will take a punishment as well. Those guys are important and great to have until they get old.

He is almost always a positive presence on the line he plays on and I'd love to see him stick with the big club for awhile.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
If Roussel stays on the 2nd line where he has played well, McKenzie fits in perfect in his spot across from Garbutt (who loves to shoot). Or if we were to put a shooter on the right with Spezza I think he'd do some damage there.

Reminds me of a poor mans Brenden Morrow but his presence has the affect of guys like Roussel, Morrow, or Ott in that he brings 100% effort and physicality and will take a punishment as well. Those guys are important and great to have until they get old.

He is almost always a positive presence on the line he plays on and I'd love to see him stick with the big club for awhile.

Pretty spot on. You need McKenzies on your team. He'll improve a little bit over the next few years. I don't think he should be with Spezza though. Dickinson or Ritchie will eventually be that guy. McKenzie is more of a lower line grinder at this point. Who knows? Morrow had stone hands and really rough skating when he first came up, but he was also a better hitter than McKenzie by a mile.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I wouldn't say Morrow had stone hands when he came into the league. He scored 14 his rookie season and 20 in his second.

Morrow was also 20 when he made it to the show, McKenzie 23. McKenzie can round out a few things but he's a lot closer to what he "is" than Morrow was when he was being broken in.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
what could we get for garbutt?

Probably not much it's kind of like asking what you could get in a swap for chlamydia. Jk jk. Maybe a 3rd, #5 or #6 D, or an ok D prospect.

Imagine if we could find a team that would take both him and JoBenn! :)

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I wouldn't say Morrow had stone hands when he came into the league. He scored 14 his rookie season and 20 in his second.

Morrow was also 20 when he made it to the show, McKenzie 23. McKenzie can round out a few things but he's a lot closer to what he "is" than Morrow was when he was being broken in.

I agree that Morrow was better. 100%. Morrow also benefited from playing with Modano in his early days...benefited A LOT. Morrow never had the soft hands that the true snipers do. He knew where he needed to be, in front of the net, he knew how to capitalize off of the offense created by his much more talented teammates. He was a competitor.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
A lot of McKenzie's goals in the NHL were of the bang home trash variety, which actually gives me hope. He is only playing 10 minutes a game and still figuring out how to handle the bigger smarter NHL defenseman. I actually think he looks promising as a bottom six guy who can pot a few in a crash the net kind of game. At 10 mins a game, sending him down was also right.

The talk of Morrow having stone hands is bummer town.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Hi guys, couple questions about Shawn Horcoff. I know he's buried behind Seguin/Spezza/Eakin, but do you think he could still be a solid 3C for a playoff run? If so, is he available, and what type of return would you expect?

Happy new years, cheers!

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
He's a winger who takes some faceoffs at this stage of his career.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Hi guys, couple questions about Shawn Horcoff. I know he's buried behind Seguin/Spezza/Eakin, but do you think he could still be a solid 3C for a playoff run? If so, is he available, and what type of return would you expect?

Happy new years, cheers!

We need him for OUR playoff run! :p::sarcasm:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
If Horcoff is your 3C you are not making the playoffs. He's a useful 4th line vet now, but he isn't a regular contributor in a big role anymore.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
So apparently we sent a scout up to Vancouver specifically to scout Kassian, and were upset he wasn't in the lineup. That last part makes me wonder if there isn't a deal in place but we wanted to see Kassian in game first. Otherwise I'm not sure why the Stars would be upset with Vancouver for scratching him. If we went up there and nothing was being discussed yet, why would we be upset over a scratch

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
So apparently we sent a scout up to Vancouver specifically to scout Kassian, and were upset he wasn't in the lineup. That last part makes me wonder if there isn't a deal in place but we wanted to see Kassian in game first. Otherwise I'm not sure why the Stars would be upset with Vancouver for scratching him. If we went up there and nothing was being discussed yet, why would we be upset over a scratch

Where did you hear this? And why would we want Kassian ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad